2014 Pioneer VSX-1124/1024/824 discussions - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > 2014 Pioneer VSX-1124/1024/824 discussions
isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 02:13 PM 07-28-2014
Lol, it's only been out a couple of weeks it's hardly a year old. Did you buy a receiver? If not, any other receiver will have the same issue, but those have actually been out longer. I'd suggest getting the one that has the features you want regardless of when it was released.

isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 06:06 PM 07-31-2014
I assume that these receivers get firmware updates from time to time. How do you check and how do you install it?
tigerdog's Avatar tigerdog 08:43 AM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacc7 View Post
I assume that these receivers get firmware updates from time to time. How do you check and how do you install it?
Check the Pioneer support page for the specific receiver model (click here). When updates are available, the model has a "firmware updates" link.
isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 10:12 AM 08-01-2014
Ok, if there is a firmware update how would I install it? How do I know which version of the firmware I'm on right now?
tigerdog's Avatar tigerdog 12:31 PM 08-01-2014
I don't have one of these units but I would guess that when an update becomes available, it will include a "readme" file with such instructions. I'd also take a search through the owners manual.
amt257's Avatar amt257 02:05 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacc7 View Post
Ok, if there is a firmware update how would I install it? How do I know which version of the firmware I'm on right now?
If your receiver is connected to the internet through your router, simply goto the advanced option then look for the firmware update option. I am unsure of the exact menu location because I'm not in front of my receiver now but the option is there. If your receiver is not connected, then you can download the file on to a USB drive then update with the USB drive connected to the receiver.
isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 08:02 PM 08-01-2014
I was hoping I could do it through the app on the iPad since I don't have it attached to a TV. Oh well. Guess I'll just check from time to time. Having some trouble with 24/192 flac files. It's brand new so I knew there would be a few odd issues.
isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 11:37 AM 08-02-2014
Ok, looked through the owners manual and saw how to do the firmware thing. Also saw how I need to be connected to the tv to do Internet radio, at least initially. Looks like I'll need to move the 1124 to the tv to do some stuff today.
Jeff Peake's Avatar Jeff Peake 02:12 PM 08-02-2014
Yesterday I picked up an 1124 for my music-only system.

I am upgrading from a ~10 year old Pioneer 1014tx. I wanted to see if the new MCACC system was an improvement. Also the SABRE DAC is supposed to be good (my source is PC audio via optical...Google music, FLAC rips, HDTracks etc).

I recently upgraded my speakers to a pair of KEF LS50's. They replaced a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s (v1). The sub is an NXG BAS 500.

Both the older vsx1014 and the new vsx1124 seem perfectly capable of driving the KEFs. I rarely go above 85-90dbs in my small office (usually I listen around the 75db level), and even though the KEFs are a little tough to drive (85db sensitivity, and getting down to 3.2 ohms), both of these receivers sound fine with them.

The new VSX1124 has a 9 band EQ as part of its MCACC system, the older Pioneer had a 5 band EQ. The subwoofer EQ is 4 band (31hz, 63hz, 125hz, 250hz). I found that the subwoofer EQ is only set when you choose to do "Auto MCACC". If you select "Full Auto MCACC" it will not set the subwoofer EQ.

The VSX1124 MCACC system adds: subwoofer EQ, standing wave filter, reverb, and phase control. Of these features, I feel the only one that makes an audible difference is the subwoofer EQ. You can easily toggle each of these filters on/off when listening (along with some others that are not part of MCACC like hi-bit 24 upsampling). The hi-bit setting may make a small difference, but I could not tell whether it was for better or worse, so I am leaving it disabled.

The other nice upgrade is that the VSX1124 has both a DIRECT mode and a PURE DIRECT mode. Using DIRECT, you still benefit from the MCACC settings. On the old Pioneer, you only had normal STEREO mode or DIRECT. Choosing DIRECT and you would bypass the MCACC settings.

Listening impressions....I am not sure I could tell a difference between the vxs1014 or vsx1124 in a blind test. I did several swaps between them and they sounded pretty similar.

However, the subwoofer EQ I think is a nice improvement. But I am still not decided if I want to run 2.1 with these KEFs. I think the KEFs handle just enough bass for the music I listen to (jazz, blues mostly). Its only when I listen to pop, rap, dubstep, that I really need the sub. So I am not sure how much i really NEED the subwoofer EQ. I dont really care if my Ice Cube CDs are reproduced with a flat response curve!

The VSX1124 does have one big advantage over the 1024...it runs much cooler. My office tends to warm up alot due to the computer gear, monitors (I have 5 on the desktop) and the receiver. I am not sure why the 1124 runs cooler. Maybe because its rated at 90w/channel (vs 110w/channel of the 1024). Not sure if that makes a heat difference...but something is more efficient in the 1124.

Overall, I like it just enough to keep it. Sound quality is probably the same, but when using a sub its better. Between that and the cooler operating temp, I like it.

Just so you can gauge the usefulness of this review, my biases are:

1) I believe speakers get you 75% of the way to audio nirvana

2) speaker placement and room setup get you 20% closer

3) amps/preamps get the last 5%. However pre-amp features like room correction do make a difference which is why I prefer a decent quality receiver over a seperate pre-amp/amp combo.

4) interconnects, cables, wires offer 0% improvement
isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 04:20 PM 08-02-2014
OK, it looks as though I could,d have done the Internet radio setup via the app on the iPad after all. Doubt I'll ever use that feature, I'm shocked at just how low the quality is on so many streams! Seems to be much better ways of streaming stuff.
sawfish's Avatar sawfish 04:53 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Peake View Post
Just so you can gauge the usefulness of this review, my biases are:

1) I believe speakers get you 75% of the way to audio nirvana

2) speaker placement and room setup get you 20% closer

3) amps/preamps get the last 5%. However pre-amp features like room correction do make a difference which is why I prefer a decent quality receiver over a seperate pre-amp/amp combo.

4) interconnects, cables, wires offer 0% improvement
You sound like a sensible fellow! I have a question for you about the "Multi-Channel Auto Level Control" or ALC. Pioneer describes the "Multi-Channel" version of this as being very similar to things like THX Loudness Plus and Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which basically provide a level-dependent Loudness control. I have the VSX-21TXH from 2009 with the THX features, and its non-Multi-Channel ALC does nothing remotely like what Pioneer describes for the Multi-Channel version, but then again, it doesn't need to. I'm interested in this because Pioneer has dropped THX, apparently leaving them without a Loudness control, unless this Multi-Channel ALC is it. So I'm wondering if you can tell that it's acting in that capacity when you engage it.
Jeff Peake's Avatar Jeff Peake 07:00 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
You sound like a sensible fellow! I have a question for you about the "Multi-Channel Auto Level Control" or ALC. Pioneer describes the "Multi-Channel" version of this as being very similar to things like THX Loudness Plus and Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which basically provide a level-dependent Loudness control. I have the VSX-21TXH from 2009 with the THX features, and its non-Multi-Channel ALC does nothing remotely like what Pioneer describes for the Multi-Channel version, but then again, it doesn't need to. I'm interested in this because Pioneer has dropped THX, apparently leaving them without a Loudness control, unless this Multi-Channel ALC is it. So I'm wondering if you can tell that it's acting in that capacity when you engage it.
According to the user manual, it sounds like ALC is the same as Audessy Dynamic EQ:

"The low and high frequency sounds, dialogs, surround effects etc, that are difficult to hear when the volume is low are adjusted to be optimal for the volume level"
sawfish's Avatar sawfish 01:08 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
According to the user manual, it sounds like ALC is the same as Audessy Dynamic EQ:

"The low and high frequency sounds, dialogs, surround effects etc, that are difficult to hear when the volume is low are adjusted to be optimal for the volume level"
Yes, I know. I'm asking if it works as advertised and is a legit replacement for the discarded THX Loudness Plus and the Audyssey Dynamic EQ available on other systems.
Jeff Peake's Avatar Jeff Peake 07:32 AM 08-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawfish View Post
Yes, I know. I'm asking if it works as advertised and is a legit replacement for the discarded THX Loudness Plus and the Audyssey Dynamic EQ available on other systems.
I see. Sorry I dont really have the source material to test this with. My 1124 is in a music-only system, no blu-ray player in here. So I dont have any good sources with alot of dynamic range to test with. I did try it with some steaming netflix movies and didnt really notice a huge difference.
tatuk 08:50 AM 08-05-2014
Hello,
I have a problem with my VSX-1124

I have front and back speakers and subwoofer.
I have input HDMI connection from Sony PS-2.
Output HDMI cable connects to plasma TV.

Yesterday my speakers stop sounding. Video goes through OK.
If I plug earphones into the receiver, it's OK too.

I believe somebody did some change in receiver configuration.
Remote could change volume, channels, but it cannot go 'HOME' if I press the button.
When I plug MCACC microphone it shows MACC picture however it doesn't start checking audio.
The red light near "Advanced MCACC" at the receiver's dashboard is ON. I am not sure if it should be ON all the time.

Any advice, please?
AVITWeb's Avatar AVITWeb 03:24 PM 08-07-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatuk View Post
Hello,
I have a problem with my VSX-1124

I have front and back speakers and subwoofer.
I have input HDMI connection from Sony PS-2.
Output HDMI cable connects to plasma TV.

Yesterday my speakers stop sounding. Video goes through OK.
If I plug earphones into the receiver, it's OK too.

I believe somebody did some change in receiver configuration.
Remote could change volume, channels, but it cannot go 'HOME' if I press the button.
When I plug MCACC microphone it shows MACC picture however it doesn't start checking audio.
The red light near "Advanced MCACC" at the receiver's dashboard is ON. I am not sure if it should be ON all the time.

Any advice, please?
You may need to do a reset.
AVITWeb's Avatar AVITWeb 03:29 PM 08-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enitime View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Paulo72 

Does the 1124 have an on screen display when adjusting volume?

Yes. Under normal circumstances. With a 4K video signal perhaps not.

How would the sound (with movies) compare to a harman kardon avr 2700?

AUDIOPHILES, AVERT THINE EYES!

They all sound the same. You don't have to audition them, they all sound the same.

Some people argue that the differences in room calibration is like day and night. They're all serviceable. It's fine. Really.
  • Audyssey (used by Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, NAD, etc.) is considered the superior choice by many.
  • MCACC (used by Pioneer) has been criticized for lack of low frequency handling, but that has been at least partially assuaged by the 2014 lineup. You'll have to wait for in-depth reviews to be sure.
  • EzSet/EQ (used by Harman Kardon) - No glowing reviews, but it's there.
You buy the receiver for the features, and the speakers for the sound.

Don't compromise on features because supposedly another brand sounds "warmer" or "brighter" or "more open". They all sound the same.

I'm a big Pioneer fan, but they don't sound any different to the competition.
WOW! I know I am starting a S storm, but really? Vastly disagree with you there. There is a big difference.
s_Fanous's Avatar s_Fanous 03:02 PM 08-12-2014
Can someone please elaborate if there are more differences between the 1124 and 1024

From the available literature I've been able to conclude the following 4 differences

1-VSX-1124-K has power output of 90W per channel as opposed to 80W per channel for the VSX-1024-K
2-VSX-1124-K does 1080p and 4K video upscaling while the VSX-1024-K only does 4K passthrough
3-VSX-1124-K has 2 HDMI outputs, which allows an additional HDMI source to be accessible in a second zone
4-MCACC system incorporated into VSX-1124-K includes Subwoofer EQ settings

Thanks
javygonx's Avatar javygonx 11:20 AM 08-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enitime View Post

Does the 1124 have an on screen display when adjusting volume?

Yes. Under normal circumstances. With a 4K video signal perhaps not.

How would the sound (with movies) compare to a harman kardon avr 2700?

AUDIOPHILES, AVERT THINE EYES!

They all sound the same. You don't have to audition them, they all sound the same.

Some people argue that the differences in room calibration is like day and night. They're all serviceable. It's fine. Really.
  • Audyssey (used by Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, NAD, etc.) is considered the superior choice by many.
  • MCACC (used by Pioneer) has been criticized for lack of low frequency handling, but that has been at least partially assuaged by the 2014 lineup. You'll have to wait for in-depth reviews to be sure.
  • EzSet/EQ (used by Harman Kardon) - No glowing reviews, but it's there.
You buy the receiver for the features, and the speakers for the sound.

Don't compromise on features because supposedly another brand sounds "warmer" or "brighter" or "more open". They all sound the same.

I'm a big Pioneer fan, but they don't sound any different to the competition.
As a previous Auddesey I can say Advanced MCACC is way better than Audessey. And the lack of bass; its partially TRUE; but tweaking couple of things after Calibration; believe me the bass is OUTSTANDING!.... I have a simple guide on how to get better bass with MCACC. Only fo Advanced MCACC. Is not possible with simple MCACC
Jeff Peake's Avatar Jeff Peake 07:32 AM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx View Post
.... I have a simple guide on how to get better bass with MCACC. Only fo Advanced MCACC. Is not possible with simple MCACC
Care to share the details?

While I like the 1124, I had purchased it for a music only system powering a pair of KEF-LS50s, I ended up swapping the 1124 with my Denon 3808. The 1124 is now in my HT room, and the Denon is in the music system.

I found that the integration of my subwoofer just sounded better with the Denon (audessy).

With the 1124, after running the full MCACC setup, it seemed like the sub wasnt being used much. With both the Denon and Pioneer, I had the KEFs set to small, 50 or 60hz crossover. The Denon (using Audessy Flat), and 2.1 setup really nails the subwoofer output. Not too much, not too thin..it just sounds good.

Trying to tune the Pioneer subwoofer level by ear, I couldnt get it right. Turning up the level, some stuff sounded OK, other stuff had too much bass. I couldnt get it as smooth as the Denon/Audessy setup.
javygonx's Avatar javygonx 07:47 AM 08-14-2014
Quote:
Care to share the details?

While I like the 1124, I had purchased it for a music only system powering a pair of KEF-LS50s, I ended up swapping the 1124 with my Denon 3808. The 1124 is now in my HT room, and the Denon is in the music system.

I found that the integration of my subwoofer just sounded better with the Denon (audessy).

With the 1124, after running the full MCACC setup, it seemed like the sub wasnt being used much. With both the Denon and Pioneer, I had the KEFs set to small, 50 or 60hz crossover. The Denon (using Audessy Flat), and 2.1 setup really nails the subwoofer output. Not too much, not too thin..it just sounds good.

Trying to tune the Pioneer subwoofer level by ear, I couldnt get it right. Turning up the level, some stuff sounded OK, other stuff had too much bass. I couldnt get it as smooth as the Denon/Audessy setup.
Hi Jeff:

I also have a Denon receiver (3311CI). I yes; I noticed better bass with the Denon; but only if I compare the Pioneer after calibration without been tweak. I was totally dissapointed; becasue everything sounds so great except for the bass. So I decided to learn everyday how really MCACC works and start doing lots of tests until finally I was able to get the punchy and deep bass I really want. Its not deeeeeeeeeeep!; but you can feel it!

Here is the document; give it a try. Do the following; copy one of the memory banks you used more in another slot; then tweak that new slot so you can have your original slot intact. I use to have 2 memory banks (One for Movies and another just for Music; two completely different EQ settings). This document needs to be revised again; I will work with it again pretty soon. Just waiting for my SC-81 in which should arrive today!

PS: I tried to post file here but max allowed is 20k file. This one is 800k. I tried to PM the file but; now I was unable to find the "attach button". I used to do this in the past.
Rhialto's Avatar Rhialto 02:47 PM 08-14-2014
VSX-1124 now listed on BestBuy.ca and FutureShop.ca

I was pretty sure they would carry the VSX-1129 instead, which is a VSX-1124 exclusive to both (usually with a 2y warranty) because they usually do this, and, the VSX-1029 (which is a VSX-1024) is currently listed.
mi6_'s Avatar mi6_ 10:47 AM 08-15-2014
Quote:
The new VSX1124 has a 9 band EQ as part of its MCACC system, the older Pioneer had a 5 band EQ. The subwoofer EQ is 4 band (31hz, 63hz, 125hz, 250hz). I found that the subwoofer EQ is only set when you choose to do "Auto MCACC". If you select "Full Auto MCACC" it will not set the subwoofer EQ.
I see that on page 38 of the user manual where it describes the full auto MCACC that you can choose between 2 "measurement types" either "basic" or "expert".

Just wondering if the sub EQ works maybe only in expert on full auto MCACC? I'm wondering if you tried it in basic and there was no sub EQ?

I don't own the receiver so I can't try it out myself.
Big C's Avatar Big C 09:24 AM 08-17-2014
In case anyone cares to know, the European version of the VSX-80/1124 won the 2014 ISA award.
isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 11:34 AM 08-17-2014
I've had to reset my 1124 several times so far. It seems to get confused. Every once in a while it will simply say "please wait" and not allow me to do anything. I'm hoping a firmware update will be out soon to clear up the flakiness.
Fido_One's Avatar Fido_One 06:55 PM 08-17-2014
Right,

I'm finding jack for reviews on the 1124 (save for one review for the European SKU, the VSX-924).

My Onkyo 609 bit the dust a few months ago (I think, I have yet to really mess with it) and picked up the 1124 at BB today as it was A) Tax Free Weekend here and B) They may have accidentally confused SKUs in the store and had the 1124 listed for 499 USD, not the 599 USD I'm finding elsewhere.

I bought the 4 year protection plan as it hurt SOOO much to see my Onkyo bite the dust. I loved my Onkyos, but do agree with the posters that say the amps, at least these days, matter the least in the set up (I have lately heard some static due to my speaker runs which is driving me crazy but am unwilling to open up my walls).

Driving a 5.1 KEF set up, low end of the Q line (q500s are the fronts which, useless or not, I want to bi-amp from the Pioneer).

Now that it's been out for a month, what do you all think? Have I missed the official 1124 thread in my searches? I have a few days to return this, which I might do, I generally research the hell out of something that costs this much before I buy but I didn't have a lot of time to think at the store today.
isaacc7's Avatar isaacc7 09:49 AM 08-18-2014
I've been enjoying the 1124 for the most part although I'm not using it like most folks. For me, the 1124 is an amazing streaming audio player and preamp. I've had a few glitches like it hanging on startup and not playing 24/192 Flac files but I'm sure those are the kind of things that can be fixed via a software update.
Hspecialist's Avatar Hspecialist 01:32 PM 08-18-2014
I just purchased the new 1124 and currently playing with the advanced mcacc. On full auto using expert the sub channel is left at zero across those bands. The sound even with just full auto expert is great sounding and Id swear it eq'd the subs. I'll mess with it more, my Sony 1040 will be given to my dad. In comparison the 1124 has more refinement and top end for sure, just sounds fantastic. The av app is super cool with loads to mess with.

Brian in Bakersfield...
Hspecialist's Avatar Hspecialist 02:09 PM 08-18-2014
More...I've owned a elite vsx-30 and a sc-25 and this 1124 in every way is dramatically improved. All sound programs sound really nice and actually surprisingly well when using front heights. Even mcacc running sounded different and more digital sounding. I've performed the auto cal and full auto so I'll listen to the curves and corrections. I see only all CH adj eq'd the sub channel. Both symmetry and front align are all at zero in comparison.
Jeff Peake's Avatar Jeff Peake 05:24 PM 08-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hspecialist View Post
On full auto using expert the sub channel is left at zero across those bands.

Brian in Bakersfield...
It seems you have to choose "Auto" mcacc to EQ the subs. It doesnt get set if you do "Full Auto". Why pioneer could not have chosen less similar naming conventions...who knows!
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop