AVS Forum banner

2014 Pioneer VSX-1124/1024/824 discussions

Tags
vsx-824
99K views 488 replies 159 participants last post by  jim97219 
#1 ·
Until there are 'Official' thread related to those models, let's discuss here.

#99 ·
Yesterday I picked up an 1124 for my music-only system.

I am upgrading from a ~10 year old Pioneer 1014tx. I wanted to see if the new MCACC system was an improvement. Also the SABRE DAC is supposed to be good (my source is PC audio via optical...Google music, FLAC rips, HDTracks etc).

I recently upgraded my speakers to a pair of KEF LS50's. They replaced a pair of Paradigm Studio 20s (v1). The sub is an NXG BAS 500.

Both the older vsx1014 and the new vsx1124 seem perfectly capable of driving the KEFs. I rarely go above 85-90dbs in my small office (usually I listen around the 75db level), and even though the KEFs are a little tough to drive (85db sensitivity, and getting down to 3.2 ohms), both of these receivers sound fine with them.

The new VSX1124 has a 9 band EQ as part of its MCACC system, the older Pioneer had a 5 band EQ. The subwoofer EQ is 4 band (31hz, 63hz, 125hz, 250hz). I found that the subwoofer EQ is only set when you choose to do "Auto MCACC". If you select "Full Auto MCACC" it will not set the subwoofer EQ.

The VSX1124 MCACC system adds: subwoofer EQ, standing wave filter, reverb, and phase control. Of these features, I feel the only one that makes an audible difference is the subwoofer EQ. You can easily toggle each of these filters on/off when listening (along with some others that are not part of MCACC like hi-bit 24 upsampling). The hi-bit setting may make a small difference, but I could not tell whether it was for better or worse, so I am leaving it disabled.

The other nice upgrade is that the VSX1124 has both a DIRECT mode and a PURE DIRECT mode. Using DIRECT, you still benefit from the MCACC settings. On the old Pioneer, you only had normal STEREO mode or DIRECT. Choosing DIRECT and you would bypass the MCACC settings.

Listening impressions....I am not sure I could tell a difference between the vxs1014 or vsx1124 in a blind test. I did several swaps between them and they sounded pretty similar.

However, the subwoofer EQ I think is a nice improvement. But I am still not decided if I want to run 2.1 with these KEFs. I think the KEFs handle just enough bass for the music I listen to (jazz, blues mostly). Its only when I listen to pop, rap, dubstep, that I really need the sub. So I am not sure how much i really NEED the subwoofer EQ. I dont really care if my Ice Cube CDs are reproduced with a flat response curve!

The VSX1124 does have one big advantage over the 1024...it runs much cooler. My office tends to warm up alot due to the computer gear, monitors (I have 5 on the desktop) and the receiver. I am not sure why the 1124 runs cooler. Maybe because its rated at 90w/channel (vs 110w/channel of the 1024). Not sure if that makes a heat difference...but something is more efficient in the 1124.

Overall, I like it just enough to keep it. Sound quality is probably the same, but when using a sub its better. Between that and the cooler operating temp, I like it.

Just so you can gauge the usefulness of this review, my biases are:

1) I believe speakers get you 75% of the way to audio nirvana

2) speaker placement and room setup get you 20% closer

3) amps/preamps get the last 5%. However pre-amp features like room correction do make a difference which is why I prefer a decent quality receiver over a seperate pre-amp/amp combo.

4) interconnects, cables, wires offer 0% improvement

#101 ·
Just so you can gauge the usefulness of this review, my biases are:

1) I believe speakers get you 75% of the way to audio nirvana

2) speaker placement and room setup get you 20% closer

3) amps/preamps get the last 5%. However pre-amp features like room correction do make a difference which is why I prefer a decent quality receiver over a seperate pre-amp/amp combo.

4) interconnects, cables, wires offer 0% improvement
You sound like a sensible fellow! I have a question for you about the "Multi-Channel Auto Level Control" or ALC. Pioneer describes the "Multi-Channel" version of this as being very similar to things like THX Loudness Plus and Audyssey Dynamic EQ, which basically provide a level-dependent Loudness control. I have the VSX-21TXH from 2009 with the THX features, and its non-Multi-Channel ALC does nothing remotely like what Pioneer describes for the Multi-Channel version, but then again, it doesn't need to. I'm interested in this because Pioneer has dropped THX, apparently leaving them without a Loudness control, unless this Multi-Channel ALC is it. So I'm wondering if you can tell that it's acting in that capacity when you engage it.

#105 ·
Hello,
I have a problem with my VSX-1124

I have front and back speakers and subwoofer.
I have input HDMI connection from Sony PS-2.
Output HDMI cable connects to plasma TV.

Yesterday my speakers stop sounding. Video goes through OK.
If I plug earphones into the receiver, it's OK too.

I believe somebody did some change in receiver configuration.
Remote could change volume, channels, but it cannot go 'HOME' if I press the button.
When I plug MCACC microphone it shows MACC picture however it doesn't start checking audio.
The red light near "Advanced MCACC" at the receiver's dashboard is ON. I am not sure if it should be ON all the time.

Any advice, please?

#108 ·
Can someone please elaborate if there are more differences between the 1124 and 1024

From the available literature I've been able to conclude the following 4 differences

1-VSX-1124-K has power output of 90W per channel as opposed to 80W per channel for the VSX-1024-K
2-VSX-1124-K does 1080p and 4K video upscaling while the VSX-1024-K only does 4K passthrough
3-VSX-1124-K has 2 HDMI outputs, which allows an additional HDMI source to be accessible in a second zone
4-MCACC system incorporated into VSX-1124-K includes Subwoofer EQ settings

Thanks

#112 ·
VSX-1124 now listed on BestBuy.ca and FutureShop.ca

I was pretty sure they would carry the VSX-1129 instead, which is a VSX-1124 exclusive to both (usually with a 2y warranty) because they usually do this, and, the VSX-1029 (which is a VSX-1024) is currently listed.

#130 ·
i find it odd that best buy and future shop list the vsx-1124 as elite and the product title says 60W but specs says 90W
and damn $100 more than USD price. i guess it's better than when i got my VSX-30 where it was $700 in canada and $550 in the states

Hi Jeff:

I also have a Denon receiver (3311CI). I yes; I noticed better bass with the Denon; but only if I compare the Pioneer after calibration without been tweak. I was totally dissapointed; becasue everything sounds so great except for the bass. So I decided to learn everyday how really MCACC works and start doing lots of tests until finally I was able to get the punchy and deep bass I really want. Its not deeeeeeeeeeep!; but you can feel it! :)

Here is the document; give it a try. Do the following; copy one of the memory banks you used more in another slot; then tweak that new slot so you can have your original slot intact. I use to have 2 memory banks (One for Movies and another just for Music; two completely different EQ settings). This document needs to be revised again; I will work with it again pretty soon. Just waiting for my SC-81 in which should arrive today! :)

PS: I tried to post file here but max allowed is 20k file. This one is 800k. I tried to PM the file but; now I was unable to find the "attach button". I used to do this in the past.
maybe try uploading to dropbox or google docs and share that link?

#116 ·
Right,

I'm finding jack for reviews on the 1124 (save for one review for the European SKU, the VSX-924).

My Onkyo 609 bit the dust a few months ago (I think, I have yet to really mess with it) and picked up the 1124 at BB today as it was A) Tax Free Weekend here and B) They may have accidentally confused SKUs in the store and had the 1124 listed for 499 USD, not the 599 USD I'm finding elsewhere.

I bought the 4 year protection plan as it hurt SOOO much to see my Onkyo bite the dust. I loved my Onkyos, but do agree with the posters that say the amps, at least these days, matter the least in the set up (I have lately heard some static due to my speaker runs which is driving me crazy but am unwilling to open up my walls).

Driving a 5.1 KEF set up, low end of the Q line (q500s are the fronts which, useless or not, I want to bi-amp from the Pioneer).

Now that it's been out for a month, what do you all think? Have I missed the official 1124 thread in my searches? I have a few days to return this, which I might do, I generally research the hell out of something that costs this much before I buy but I didn't have a lot of time to think at the store today.

#117 ·
I've been enjoying the 1124 for the most part although I'm not using it like most folks. For me, the 1124 is an amazing streaming audio player and preamp. I've had a few glitches like it hanging on startup and not playing 24/192 Flac files but I'm sure those are the kind of things that can be fixed via a software update.

#118 ·
I just purchased the new 1124 and currently playing with the advanced mcacc. On full auto using expert the sub channel is left at zero across those bands. The sound even with just full auto expert is great sounding and Id swear it eq'd the subs. I'll mess with it more, my Sony 1040 will be given to my dad. In comparison the 1124 has more refinement and top end for sure, just sounds fantastic. The av app is super cool with loads to mess with.

Brian in Bakersfield...

#119 ·
More...I've owned a elite vsx-30 and a sc-25 and this 1124 in every way is dramatically improved. All sound programs sound really nice and actually surprisingly well when using front heights. Even mcacc running sounded different and more digital sounding. I've performed the auto cal and full auto so I'll listen to the curves and corrections. I see only all CH adj eq'd the sub channel. Both symmetry and front align are all at zero in comparison.

#121 ·
Yep I was answering a couple posts up asking. Digging the Neo:X Cinema!!! I'm really pleased with this receiver!

Previously owned: rx-v465, Aventage 830, vsx-30, sc-25, Denon 2113ci, Sony 1040. By far the 1124 sounds the best! Really liked the Sony, fwiw

#128 ·
I just ordered the Elite VSX-80 from Pioneer's online shop. I posted this in the VSX-80 thread, but for some reason, that thread isn't as active as this one. Other than the VSX-1124 being plastic instead of aluminum, having a white display instead of an amber one, and not having an RS232 port for remote control, it has similar DNA as the VSX-80. So I figured that anything that pertains to the 1124 should also be relevant to the VSX-80. While I'm waiting for my VSX-80 to arive, I have a few questions.

Do the onscreen setup menus consist of white text on a black/gray background which highlight in blue when you use the up and down arrow keys on the remote?

Do the Audio Parameter and Video Parameter menus show on the TV?

By default, is Operation Mode set to Basic or Expert?

By default, which HDMI output(s) and zone(s) is/are active?

When playing with a PQLS-compatible Blu-ray player, does the PQLS indicater on this receiver consist of a blue light?

I chose this receiver because of PQLS bitstream for movies and SACDs, as well as its Sabre Premier ES9006 120dB jitter-tolerant DAC. A few years ago, receivers with similar DACs such as the Burr-Brown PCM1796 used to cost between at least $1500 and $2000, or more. $600? Reminds me of the $500 DV-58AV, which performed like the $1500 Denon DVD3930CI.

#129 ·
Yes to onscreen menu
audio and video parameter shows on the tv as a small white box with one line of text showing which option and the setting for it
default is expert
main home is active on default and onscreen menu will only show on the main output
don't have PQLS player so can't say

#138 ·
Dumping my older Onkyo receiver with HDMI issues. It's been 'fixed' (HA) twice now and once in warranty and once afterwards.

Just ordered one, and it should arrive shortly. Was trying to decide which receiver to get when Amazon's 3rd party World Wide Stereo dropped the price to $399. :eek: Couldn't resist.

#139 ·
Zone 2 Capabilities on VSX-1024

I just picked up a VSX-1024 to round out the new entertainment set up in my new house. I have a 5.1 Polk Audio surround setup in my living room, and two outdoor Bose speakers for my back patio connected to Zone 2. I haven't had time to go through the manual yet, but from what I can see, my audio options for Zone 2 are VERY limited. I wired the cable/sat in to Zone 2 so I can hear TV through Zone 2, but I can't find a way to stream music from my phone, or from Internet Radio apps that are build in to the receiver. Am I missing something obvious here? I'm by no means an AV expert, btw...appreciate any help!

#141 ·
I made my mind up to replace my 1018 this year after completing my addition and moving into what is the new family room which measures 14 feet wide and 34 feet deep. Added 7.1 speakers and since I was moving all the equipment, it made since to update at this time. I decide to go to best buy who had the 1124 advertised online for $500.00. I ended up getting the VXX-80 Elite instead as the had it for $550.00 in the store. What a deal. Can not wait to get this thing hooked up and running.

#143 ·
Setup of the 1124 was simple. Funny that the onboard IP address will also lead you through a setup, at that point though I was done and just pressing the forward arrow key.

Only have it running in stereo + center mode right now as I've not figured out how to wire my rear surround speakers yet. Don't want to crawl in the crawl space and don't think the ceiling would be ease either (on 1st floor and there is a 2nd floor above it). Pity the previous guy didn't put in a conduit when he wired in his old projector, then it would be a piece of cake.

Mark

#144 ·
Just got my 1124, and wow, what the heck happened to AVNavigator for Windows? Based on PC screenshots from last year, I was expecting to be able to completely manage the AVR from my PC. Instead, it's been dumbed down to consist of three sections useless to me, "Wiring Navi", which is a 4 step process for configuring your AVR from scratch, a totally useless, semi-functional mock-up of the remote control, and a network section. It's missing the MCACC, Settings, and other buttons I see in screenshots like this one:

That's what I was looking forward to using as an improvement on my VSX-21TXH, and it ain't there.There's no separate application on the supplied CD-ROM, either. So I'm going to have to turn on my plasma TV and be in the room to fool with it, with the only record of the results being photographs I take, just like I was doing almost 5 years ago. Am I overlooking something here?

#147 ·
Just got my 1124, and wow, what the heck happened to AVNavigator for Windows? Based on PC screenshots from last year, I was expecting to be able to completely manage the AVR from my PC.
Can't tell as I still haven't bought any receiver but I know there is a webserver in the unit so I'm expecting some kind of tuning from it... but how much? I have no idea... someone else will have to tell.

So you think it's worse than last year models?

#146 ·
#149 ·
Thanks for the feedback... I just got my first smartphone (I know I'm late but I never needed/wanted a data plan and I still don't have one) that I use with WiFi here and there and had hope to get WOWified by the remote apps to control it and more funny feature like play a song on the smartphone then with a click make it play from the receiver. I know I can watch a picture on my smartphone and have it displayed on our Panasonic GT50 with the Panasonic TV Remote 2.

I just keep reading with no decision yet as it looks like we have other priorities for now so I have plenty of time to keep an eye on this one and the Denon that looks also interesting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.