Which of these AVR's are best for music? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 199 Old 03-14-2014, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm just now really starting the quest in learning about AVR's and amplification. After a few days of reading through the threads I've noticed a lot of people praising brands such as Anthem, Cambridge Audio, and NAD [in that order I've found too,] when it comes to musical quality over Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, HK, and Yamaha. I have also heard plenty of people praise anything with a decent version of Audessey and therefore, always are recommending a Denon or Marantz unit from accessories4less while bashing the first three I mentioned for being too expensive or not having Audessey. I've also noticed that I think Audessey may be better suited if HT is the goal instead of musical playback...maybe I'm wrong.

The comparisons I have read seem that people who once owned the more popular Japanese brands, and then switched to the Anthem, NAD, CA AVR's, are much happier with the decision to switch. It seems that these three have better results powering harder-to-drive speakers with less wattage, and simply, sound better naturally.

Now I've heard about NAD and CA being the only brands that test their amps under stressed conditions and have heard many opinions on this whether this matters or not. Where as the Japanese brands don't test their amps under load when posting the specs. I don't know if Anthem does this but people have claimed that the MRX 310 is still a quite capable AVR.

I'm also aware of the power requirements to raise the SPL 3dB need to be doubled, and doubled, and doubled, from 1 watt, to 2, 4, 8, ect. So I know there isn't much difference between the 80-110 watt range.

The speakers I'm considering trying out are SVS Ultra bookshelves, Goldenear Aon 3's and Sierra 1/2's. The SVS, and Sierra's are 87 dB sensitive, and the GE Aon 3's are 90 dB. They'll be about 9' from the MLP in a room that is small - 14' X 9' X 8'. I will be getting a 5.1 system with an SVS PC12+ sub and watching movies, playing PC games in 5.1 hopefully, but my main priority is the best SQ I can get for music...and LOUD too on the weekends when having friends over. This is why I'm not really jumping on the Audessey band-wagon as a 'must have' for my setup. I hear ARC w/ Anthem is great. People like YPAO w/ the Yamaha Aventage line, but the NAD T758 only has a basic version of audessey, and not sure what Cambridge Audio have.

I know this is a lot but can anyone help me make a decision or aid in my education so I know what it is I'm looking for in an AVR? My budget was $1000 or under and I'd love to keep it under if possible however...there are some that slightly exceed that and if they are worth the extra cash...I can swing it. Here is what I am leaning towards:

NAD T748v2 - $599 80Watts x 2, 40watts x 7 and no room correction software? Not sure if it has pre-outs either.
NAD T758 - $999 110watts x 2, 60watts x 7, basic Audessey, and not sure about pre-outs.
CA Azur 551R - $1200 90watts x 2, 60watts x 7, think it has pre-outs and not sure about room correction software.
- I've heard these two brands are the only ones that test under load and have much better power output than other brands.

Anthem MRX 310 - $1200 80watts x 2, 60watts X 5, ARC room correction, no pre-outs I hear.
Emotiva Fusion 8100 - $699 110 x 2, 65watts x 7, Emo's room correction software (any good?,) and pre-outs I think. I know next to nothing about Emotiva's SQ or if this is a solid avr. Its so new that I'm guessing we are all going on Emo's reputation with this one.

Because of price and wattage, the NAD T758 and Emo Fusion 8100 are at the top of the list so far. I hear Anthem has the best sound though. Pre-outs aren't necessary, but might be nice later on if I can snag a good used amp if I want more juice.

I haven't crossed the Japanese brands off my list permanently, but I would really like to know if what I listed will give me better power output due to the power supplies they have, and if they have superior sound quality. If so, the then one of these will be my pick.

I think I can bi-wire/bi-amp the main two speakers with all but the Anthem MRX 310. Originally I was looking at a Marantz, Denon, or Yamaha but I honestly don't need ANY of those extra bells and whistles that those AVR's come with like Airplay, 2nd room, ect. And again, I will watch movies in 5.1 but my main goal with the AVR is AMAZING sound that can easily drive an 87 dB sensitive bookshelf speaker to very loud levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Sound quality is in the room calibration software. The amplifiers themselves won't color the sound. Power isn't an issue either because the difference between the lowest powered AV receiver and the highest powered is barely audible. Biwiring and passive biamplification accomplish nothing at all. The strength of the power supply is important only if your speakers draw way more than normal current. That is pretty rare. In other words these things that concern you shouldn't concern you. They are things that allow audiophiles and reviewers to have something to talk about. So my advice is always the same. Choose the receiver with the features you want and will use.
neptunefish, jaeelarr and Theresa like this.
post #3 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Sound quality is in the room calibration software. The amplifiers themselves won't color the sound. Power isn't an issue either because the difference between the lowest powered AV receiver and the highest powered is barely audible. Biwiring and passive biamplification accomplish nothing at all. The strength of the power supply is important only if your speakers draw way more than normal current. That is pretty rare. In other words these things that concern you shouldn't concern you. They are things that allow audiophiles and reviewers to have something to talk about. So my advice is always the same. Choose the receiver with the features you want and will use.

Do you post everything utterly wrong?

1) Sound qualty = room EQ?? LOL
2) Amplifiers do colour the sound
3) Power is a issue, as amplifiers do over blow spec, and that is noticeable. Pioneer have poor rated output.
4) Passive bi-amping does make a slight difference
5) A amplifier that drops output all channels driven is a poorly designed amplifier, some drop in 4 ohm.

But then when you have a ATI that has more clean power into 4ohm in one channel alone, to a the whole of a AV amplifier...LOL

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #4 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

As to the OP if you're looking at sound quality, upgradability, and clean power, look at av pre-power.

Emotiva power setup isn't that expensive, and a hell of a lot more clean stable power than AV amplifiers, that's for sure. And you'll get the best from your speakers, and never run into clipping. My brother has burnt a couple of tweeters, and that's with high quality proper 60W amplifiers..(more power than AV amplifier)

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #5 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Quote:

Do you post everything utterly wrong?

1) Sound qualty = room EQ?? LOL
2) Amplifiers do colour the sound
3) Power is a issue, as amplifiers do over blow spec, and that is noticeable. Pioneer have poor rated output.
4) Passive bi-amping does make a slight difference
5) A amplifier that drops output all channels driven is a poorly designed amplifier, some drop in 4 ohm.

But then when you have a ATI that has more clean power into 4ohm in one channel alone, to a the whole of a AV amplifier...LOL

some people never learn....
Theresa likes this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #6 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:

FMW is correct.

There is nothing in any of the units mentioned that will offer so called superior music sound over another unit. the NAD and CA are nice for sure, but you are paying a premium for the "boutique" status of them. A good japanese branded avr will sound just as good (equal). Room correction, room treatments, speaker set up avr/processor dsp modes etc are what dictates what will improve sound quality.
Theresa and Greenwood Ave like this.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #7 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Well said and that would be my answer as well.
post #8 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Funny, because I wanted to upgrade my Denon 2313 with one of the above choices.

So, I would also be wasting time and money upgrading too?? Thanks

Was looking at Cambridge Audio Azur 351R, NAD T 748V2, or NAD T 758

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY - PIONEER KRP-500M* 
(2) Monitor Audio RX6 towers
(1) Monitor Audio RX center
(2) Monitor Audio RX FX surrounds
(1) Rythmik FV15HP-SE sub
(1) NAD T758 AVR
post #9 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Go and have a listen, or borrow one for a week.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #10 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

Anthem MRX 310 - $1200 80watts x 2, 60watts X 5, ARC room correction, no pre-outs I hear.

mrx 310 does have pre-outs

PSN= Jamweiser
post #11 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Not full 7.1 set though. Still, you're most likely just add a 3 channel power amp for the stereo and center.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #12 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Not full 7.1 set though. Still, you're most likely just add a 3 channel power amp for the stereo and center.

It's only a 5.1 receiver... If one would want 7.1, you'll need to upgrade to either the 510 or 710...

PSN= Jamweiser
post #13 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The NAD T758 does have pre-outs.It also has multi-channel inputs if thats another connection type you are interested in. It's also one of NAD's MDC AVR's whereas you can change out boards instead of replacing the whole AVR, something none of the others do. Give the T758 a look over at Crutchfields or go to NAD's website and check it out. There is more to a good AVR besides it Eq method. The T758 does have a form of Audyssey and a program called EARS(IIRC) and its implemented differently with Audyssey. The NAD's and Cambridge brands can be purchased over the internet and the Anthem's are dealers only.
post #14 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
whereas you can change out boards instead of replacing the whole AVR, something none of the others do

But is it economical, are the cards vaporware? I remember Arcam Alpha 10 integrated, it was touted to get DAVE board (it did) but it was £800 or £1000 or something like that. Didn't Onkyo, Denon, and NAD offer slot in modules/cards but nothing ever happened? Or you'd need to ship the units back at great expense, and the cost was very high.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #15 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 11:00 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post

Funny, because I wanted to upgrade my Denon 2313 with one of the above choices.

So, I would also be wasting time and money upgrading too??

Not if one of them has features you don't have now and that you want and will use. But sound quality isn't a reason to change. Fatbottom's problem with me is personal because I often correct his nonsense. Sorry about that.
neptunefish likes this.
post #16 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But is it economical, are the cards vaporware? I remember Arcam Alpha 10 integrated, it was touted to get DAVE board (it did) but it was £800 or £1000 or something like that. Didn't Onkyo, Denon, and NAD offer slot in modules/cards but nothing ever happened? Or you'd need to ship the units back at great expense, and the cost was very high.

The cards are not vaporware. There's a card out now that will change to a higher form of Audyssey in their units. The cost of the cards range from not so expensive to expensive depending on what you want to upgrade to. I am of the belief that different brand AVR's do have their own sonic signature. Now if you turn off all of their Eq programs they do sound pretty much the same. However most are buying these things due to their Eq programs which IMO sucks. There are too many people paying for XT32 and then turning it off to listen to music. Makes a lot of sense to me.Hey its ok if you want one for movies only to pay for the highest version of REQ from any OE. I don't make my purchases like that. I listen to different models in my room with my equipment and then make my decision. I'm lucky that I have a couple of dealers that I buy from that let me take my choices home to try out.
post #17 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 11:19 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Not if one of them has features you don't have now and that you want and will use. But sound quality isn't a reason to change. Fatbottom's problem with me is personal because I often correct his nonsense. Sorry about that.

I just want a powerful AVR for my 5.1. My present denon 2313 doesn't seem to pack that punch at higher volumes. So I take it that none of these would serve that purpose better than what I have (Cambridge Audio Azur 351R, NAD T 748V2, NAD T 758, or Amthem 510)

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY - PIONEER KRP-500M* 
(2) Monitor Audio RX6 towers
(1) Monitor Audio RX center
(2) Monitor Audio RX FX surrounds
(1) Rythmik FV15HP-SE sub
(1) NAD T758 AVR
post #18 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just want a powerful AVR for my 5.1. My present denon 2313 doesn't seem to pack that punch at higher volumes. So I take it that none of these would serve that purpose better than what I have (Cambridge Audio Azur 351R, NAD T 748V2, NAD T 758, or Amthem 510)

It depends on what your purpose is. All AVR's are powerful these days. It is an unusual home audio installation that dissipates more than about 20 watts per channel. Amplifier power is one of the least important things in home audio. It was a big deal when 10 watt tube amps were the standard but not these days. Decide what you want and will use. I try to avoid giving specific product recommendations but I can assure you I wouldn't buy any of those personally. They would provide nothing that I can't get from a major manufacturer and they don't enjoy the economies of scale that the major manufacturers enjoy so they are just more expensive without being any better. I'm not trying to dissuade you from what you want to do. I'm just trying to have you understand some realities that you won't read in manufacturer's literature or magazine reviews.
post #19 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Borrow a 5 power amplifier and see what you think. Your Denon has a full set of pre-outs.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #20 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 49
To the OP: I recently needed to upgrade a six year old AVR myself. So, I've been actively researching it for the last couple months. One thing you're going to find is that almost everyone is going to optimistically regard the brand or model they chose or have spent the most time looking at as the best or at least the best for the money, whether it's their 20th lifetime AVR purchase or their foray into the HT world. The brand and model I ultimately chose is irrelevant, as it was a subjective/personal choice. So far I'm very satisfied with the decision, but wouldn't dare suggest what I chose was the absolute best, best for the money, etc - I can't even guarantee it was the best for me yet.

There are plenty of quality products to choose from, no single brand being qualifiably the absolute "best". Some smaller, more boutigue brands might be built with a more personal touch, even better quality parts, but that doesn't unequivocally make them better either, as the while the bigger producers may adopt less reliable modern manufacturing, they still have a lot of experience in audio design, often with more features, lower profit margins due to the volume they sell in and lower production costs, and I think they tend to have greater HDMI stability or at least may be more responsive to fixing problems that arise from the every evolving (downward spiraling, aggravating) world of HDMI and HDCP. Some brands clearly try to pack in more for your buck, but have higher failure rates that may or may not ever impact you; but if you are the one who gets a bad unit, it'll leave a sour taste in your mouth fast. I personally don't take much pride in brand ownership, but I have some degree of brand bias I'm sure - I don't think much of Toshiba as a company, but that doesn't mean they don't make decent products, and I've become very leary of Panasonics design longevity in recent years. It's easy to get caught up in names and labels, especially in this hobby. So, if you have an especial attraction to any one brand, well founded or not, you're likely to be happy with it and expedite your shopping process by focusing your research there.

That said, in response to the thread title, I've always regarded speakers as having the most impact on "musicality." But, if music is of great importance to you in selecting an AVR, I think you'd do yourself a favor by looking closely at Yamaha. Their DSPs and the versatility of their implementation seems to be on another level from the other major AVR brands I'm familiar with. It's clearly a brand that seems to design their AVRs with some emphasis on their musical heritage. The Yamahas are also getting high praise at the moment for their ESS dacs, especially the 3030 AVR and 5000 prepro. I've never regarded DACs as having an incredibly profound impact, considering they're cheap enough that even many lower-end models use quality Burr Brown dacs; but a number of reviewers have been surprisingly enthusiastic nonetheless, seemingly concluding the ESS DACs made the difference in their evaluations - reviewers typically regarded as being experienced enough at evaluating these products as not to play to marketing hype.

Having owned four Denons myself (three of which were flagship models, including the 5805), I don't regard Denon as being musically tuned, so to speak. I don't regard them as bad for music per se, but I think movies are the companies chief design focus, like most AVRs these days. Based on a recent comparison of the Denon 4000, Yamaha 2030, and Marantz 7007, the sound in pure direct (same room, same speakers, level matched according to the salesman and at least reasonably close going by ear) for whatever reason the Denon didn't have the same quality of sound as the Marantz and Yamaha. That's not to say the 4000 sounded bad or isn't a good bang for your buck AVR, just that there was a clear difference in it's sound quality that I personally didn't find as pleasant to listen to as the others, when bypassing all internal audio and video circuitry, assuming there wasn't something defective with the unit or it's cabling that might have been the cause. Though another dealer did later corroborate what I heard (also to be taken with a grain of salt).

For me it came down to perceived reliability and a choice between Marantz and Yamaha with Marantz getting the nod if you're looking for a unit easy to EQ for movies with Audyssey XT32 and pro capability, and Yamaha getting the nod for some of its features and build aspects, if you don't mind doing a little more work, should YPAO not prove as effective for your listening environment as what XT32 is automatically capable of. I wasn't convinced I'd be satisfied with Denon this time around and wanted to try something new after spending over a decade with their products. Production problems and higher return rates reported by several dealers I spoke with made me shy away further. Pioneer is really the only brand I would have liked to look at closer, but I didn't have the time and never found any reason to make the time in my other research. I'm sure I would have been very satisfied with either brand, but was feeling especially adventurous, so I went with Yamaha, partially due to their reported HDMI stability - which I desperately needed - and the seeming rarity of problem reports here and from several dealers I contacted. Only time will tell if it was a wise decision, but so far it's been fun playing with the DSPs - which I've traditionally never liked DSPs - and I'm looking forward to learning more about room EQ to take advantage of the manual tweaking Yamaha provides, rather than trusting Audyssey to do that job for me.
Anode likes this.

Chad Varnadore <><
ex-armchair quarterback
Our HT
post #21 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would test two receivers without any sound correction and see which one you like. I have tested them that way and unlike some people here, I firmly believe that not all receivers are created equal. I have a NAD T744, T763 and T775. I also used to own a HK AVR745, 645, 347, Onkyo 804, Denon 2803. I would say NAD and HK are head and shoulders above the Onkyo and Denon. The NAD is great - I love it. In fact, I will put my NAD T744 against even the HK AVR 745 even though they are not even in the same price range.
post #22 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I would test two receivers without any sound correction and see which one you like. I have tested them that way and unlike some people here, I firmly believe that not all receivers are created equal....

Did you do the test blind?  Did you level match them?  If the answer to either question is "no," then you did not do a proper test, and consequently your results are of no value.  A test is only meaningful it if it is properly done.  If you want a hint of what the results are when people do the tests properly, ask FMW.

Also, no one quite said that all receivers are created equal.  What people tend to say is that they will sound the same if all processing is bypassed and if they are operating within their design limits.  Of course, some receivers can put out more power than others, and so one can devise a test which will put one into clipping, while the other one is still within its operating limits, and so in such a case, they will sound different.  I doubt you will find anyone here who denies that.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #23 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If sound quality is not a reason to change then what is? With a statement like that all of us would still have what we were using before these so called audio improvements with REQ's came out. There are many here that state that XT32 is the best thing to ever happen to AVR's. Well I say B.S. to that. I think that EZ/EQ II is the end all. The best DSP out there is Logic 7. That's my opinion as is your opinion is sound quality is not a reason to change. And I don't need a DBT to tell me that. I, like others here don't have to have a DBT to tell us what we like in our home setups like you and others expound on. We bring em home, set em up, and listen to them in our surroundings. We either like or not. I've listened to Denon's in my room and I think they stink. I have an Onkyo 876 with XT and its very good for movies and I think it sucks for music. I have an Aventage A3000 and it is good for both movies and music, but not near as good to me or spouse and friends as the H/K 7550HD we are using now. DBT is a bunch of hooey. Do you think that all the reviewers and testers that are professionals are doing all these DBT's when reviewing equipment? No. However for most buyers that is how they get the info they want/need in order to at least get an idea what equipment to check out when putting together a system to enjoy. As for you and fatbottoms personal problem I'm sure no one here really gives a crap. Members don't come here to read about personal problems between members, maybe you need to write a letter to Dear Abbey.
post #24 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Did you do the test blind?  Did you level match them?  If the answer to either question is "no," then you did not do a proper test, and consequently your results are of no value.  A test is only meaningful it if it is properly done.  If you want a hint of what the results are when people do the tests properly, ask FMW.

Also, no one quite said that all receivers are created equal.  What people tend to say is that they will sound the same if all processing is bypassed and if they are operating within their design limits.  Of course, some receivers can put out more power than others, and so one can devise a test which will put one into clipping, while the other one is still within its operating limits, and so in such a case, they will sound different.  I doubt you will find anyone here who denies that.

Did he not run the experienct with rubbish speakers?

And did FMW get his hearing tested?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #25 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Quote:

If sound quality is not a reason to change then what is? ...

Features.  That includes things that do affect sound quality, like surround modes and various EQ options, not to mention compatibility with new formats.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #26 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL.

And flashing lights, and a strobe light on top too!

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #27 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Features.  That includes things that do affect sound quality, like surround modes and various EQ options, not to mention compatibility with new formats.

But in another thread he has also stated there have been no improvements since the 90's in components,amps,and features that do affect sound quality. So which is it. I find it very tiring on this forum that every time someone ask about which AVR,amp, receiver, and other equipment to buy that there is no difference in them. I realize that most do sound the same if used within their limits. But a damn DBT is not always the answer to everything. And another thing about the DBT's whenever one of these end alls to decide there is no difference in the sounds of AVR's or amps is done is everyone that participates in this test have their hearing tested first? No. They all have the same hearing capabilities I suppose. Never read an article that stated that all of "our" participants were tested and had the same hearing test results so this is all there is to it. Yourself,FMW,KBarnes have all contributed greatly to this forum and will no doubt continue in the future, but don't continue with this spill that all AVR's sound the same because they don't.
post #28 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

If sound quality is not a reason to change then what is? With a statement like that all of us would still have what we were using before these so called audio improvements with REQ's came out.

He did say in his opening sentence... "Sound quality is in the room calibration software"

Yes different AVRs sound different because of their different automated REQ. However 90% of the time automated REQ can be bettered by a good manual setup in conjunction with doing your own room measurements. Thus what AVR you choose to buy isn't as critical. I like using Yamaha AVRs even though I have never liked what its YPAO comes up with.
post #29 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I personally would go with the Anthem MRX 310; I own one myself and love it. ARC was the main factor for me as I feel it does the best job; I also like the Dolby Volume implementation. The Fusion 8100 definitely has potential if you're a tweaker as REW and PEQ make a potent combination. Neither the Emotiva or Anthem have the bells and whistles of other brands, but they have great build quality and you can always use your BluRay player for networking. Both units have preouts allowing for an external amp.
post #30 of 199 Old 03-15-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

He did say in his opening sentence... "Sound quality is in the room calibration software"

Yes different AVRs sound different because of their different automated REQ. However 90% of the time automated REQ can be bettered by a good manual setup in conjunction with doing your own room measurements. Thus what AVR you choose to buy isn't as critical. I like using Yamaha AVRs even though I have never liked what its YPAO comes up with.

Sound quality is not in the REQ software. If you have a crappy AVR with crappy amps,DAC's, and other crappy parts there is no software that will make it sound good. That's like saying a very good AVR with the very best Eq software will make bad speakers sound good. Can't happen you and I both know it. Also with proper room treatments and your own measurements with a cheap Rat Shack meter you can accomplish as much as the best REQ out there and not have to deal with an AVR that sounds good with movies and sounds like garbage with movies. Yes REQ's do work but they are not a reason to purchase an AVR whatever flavor you choose. Sometimes these "features" work against you more than they help. JMHO.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page