Best AVR for under 500 bucks - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Ok I know this is a loaded question but I am looking at replacing my failing VSX-1121k AVR. Sad.. Very very sad....

I am looking for something comparable. I know newegg often has sales among others. 

I have 2 Monitor 70's/CS2 Center/ 505 Sub and Monitor 40 Surrounds. I use mainly for movies/TV.

Thank you! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 82
If you liked your Pioneer, why not simply get a new model? I generally prefer Denon and Yamaha receivers at the $500 mark, but Pioneer makes a good product too.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

I could but I am up for new ideas. Why do you prefer Denon and Yamaha?

post #4 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp381242 View Post

I have denons. I guess im get used to the set up and its nice that the remotes are interchangeable no matter the year. i have a remote from 2002 that words with my 2013 model.
jaeelarr likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B981F4M/ref=gbsl_tit_l-1_0942_2d100cb5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=left-new-1&pf_rd_r=0Y3JMX6Q7876EA2Q44XP&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=1740370942

sick deal! Today only!
post #6 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

I think one of the things I am worried about is power. Not sure how much this matters with my setup. Most are 80 or 90 watts per channel and 8ohms. 

Power Output Per Channel(20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm) 110
Power Output Per Channel (1kHz@8ohm) 120
Power Output Per Channel (1kHz,1%THD@6ohm) 125
post #7 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257

It takes a doubling of power to make just a 3dB difference in volume.  3dB, while easily audible, is not exactly dramatic.  The difference between 80 watts and 110 watts will almost certainly be trivial.  It is only a 1.4dB difference.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Really? Wow. So why do people by such expensive AVRs? Feature wise they seem pretty close once you are at the 4-5 dollar level.

post #9 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The features get better as one goes up.  Some AV receivers have great video processors in them, and that costs money.  And there are different levels of sophistication in the automatic setup, which, again, costs money.  There are also more connections possible with higher models, and some allow for 9.2 or even 11.2 systems.  However, most of the time, the best value is a receiver that is the least expensive one from a good brand that has all of the features one requires.  If you look at this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA3020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A3020.html

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3020_black_u/?mode=model

That is a great unit that has many legacy connections, superb video processing, the capability of running an 11.2 system (with the addition of a stereo power amp), and can put out more power than most receivers (though that is not the reason to get it).  It also has very sophisticated automatic room correction.  Two steps down, and one is at this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1020.html

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a1020_black_u/?mode=model

One still has a very fine unit, but the automatic setup is less sophisticated, the video processing is less sophisticated, it is only a 7.2 receiver, and it is a little less powerful (which is likely totally trivial; it is the features that make the difference).

Both of the above units, by the way, are what I would buy at their respective price points ($1500 & $700) if I were buying one today; they are discounted because they are last year's models.  In your price range, you will need something else; the deal mentioned by Acousticality, which is only good for today, is one that you may wish to consider carefully.  You can see, though, from looking on the back of it versus the two above, it has much less connection options.  That should not be surprising, since it retails for less than half of what the cheaper of the two above retail for.  But it also does not compare for video processing capability, and etc.  For its price today, I know of nothing else that would compare with it.  It is what I would buy at its price point of $300 if I were buying a receiver today at that price.

Regarding power, if one has difficult to drive speakers, then getting something with preamp outputs is a good idea, so one can add whatever power amp one wishes.

Also, it is possible (though unlikely) that a small difference in power will matter.  For example, if one needs 1 dB more than what one gets from an 80 watt unit, then the 110 watt model will make all the difference (assuming, of course, they perform as rated, though often units from good brands do a little better than they claim into 2 channels).

I personally like Yamaha, because, judging from online complaints, they seem to be as reliable as anything.  Also, I have a brother who repairs electronics for a living, and occasionally I hear him complain about some piece of junk that always comes in for repairs, and he warns me not to buy such brands.  He has never told me not to buy Yamaha receivers.  And my Yamaha receivers have performed flawlessly over the years.  I replace them when I want more or newer features, not because they fail.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yamaha receivers are solid and very reliable. Denon aren't too far behind, but most in this price range offer Audyssey MultEQ or better which will EQ the sub whereas MCACC and YPAO (unitl you reach 2xxx) will not.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
post #12 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Really? Wow. So why do people by such expensive AVRs? Feature wise they seem pretty close once you are at the 4-5 dollar level.

Most people buy more receiver then they actually need but we do that with cars, tools, and other things too. Uh-oh, I think I just put a bulls-eye on my back! I've had many. many receivers over the last few years (I buy them -used- and sell them, mostly for fun) but the one I've kept in my "everyday" room is an Elite vsx-23 (1018). I don't need any of the new internet features and such from the last few years and it's more then powerfull enough. As others have said, you really don't need that much in the first place. Those Polks should be fairly easy to drive.

I am intrigued by the new Pioneer 1124 and VSX-80 with the Sabre Dacs (24 bit though, not 32 frown.gif ) at the $599 and $700 price points. Yamaha's do seem to be very reliable. I heard they own their own manufacturing plant instead of subing out to a jobber but don't "quote" me on that.

If you don't need all the new features of the last year or two then consider a $400-$450 Denon or Yamaha refurb from ac4l.com. the 5 year extended warranty is only another $50. Otherwise, I'd wait (if you can) for a Newegg/Amazon sale on the 1124. Sabre Dacs, sub eq (??), HDMI 2.0. It should be < $500 before too long. I bet you can get a good price on last years avr's from BB for open-box and close-out models.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input. The HTR-7065 seems like a steal at 449. Looks like it also has pre-outs. 

I guess I am having trouble comparing them to my current vsx-1121k. Features are important but sound quality is the most. I use cromecast for all the streaming stuff. I don't want to down grade! 

All have better streaming features. Just worried about quality. 

post #14 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post

Yamaha receivers are solid and very reliable. Denon aren't too far behind, but most in this price range offer Audyssey MultEQ or better which will EQ the sub whereas MCACC and YPAO (unitl you reach 2xxx) will not.

I may have to correct myself. It appears Pioneer may have added subwoofer EQ capability to the Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
post #15 of 18 Old 03-16-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c353 View Post

Quote:

Most people buy more receiver then they actually need but we do that with cars, tools, and other things too. Uh-oh, I think I just put a bulls-eye on my back! I've had many. many receivers over the last few years (I buy them -used- and sell them, mostly for fun) but the one I've kept in my "everyday" room is an Elite vsx-23 (1018). I don't need any of the new internet features and such from the last few years and it's more then powerfull enough. As others have said, you really don't need that much in the first place. Those Polks should be fairly easy to drive.

I am intrigued by the new Pioneer 1124 and VSX-80 with the Sabre Dacs (24 bit though, not 32 frown.gif ) at the $599 and $700 price points. Yamaha's do seem to be very reliable. I heard they own their own manufacturing plant instead of subing out to a jobber but don't "quote" me on that.

If you don't need all the new features of the last year or two then consider a $400-$450 Denon or Yamaha refurb from ac4l.com. the 5 year extended warranty is only another $50. Otherwise, I'd wait (if you can) for a Newegg/Amazon sale on the 1124. Sabre Dacs, sub eq (??), HDMI 2.0. It should be < $500 before too long. I bet you can get a good price on last years avr's from BB for open-box and close-out models.

There is also the fact that one might want some of the features of a high model, without wanting all of them.  In order to get the video processing I wanted, I had to go with a model that does many things that I don't need it to do.  But even low end units do things that I do not require.

One buys from what is available, and so typically if one gets all of the features one needs and wants, one will also get many extra features as well.  The only ways around that would be if one happened to need exactly what a particular model has, no more and no less (which is almost never going to be the case), or one would have a unit custom made, which would be much more expensive than buying a model that has extra features one does not require.

Still, I think you are right that many people simply buy a better receiver than they need.  And since many of them then have less to spend on speakers, I think it is usually a bad mistake if one cares about actual sound quality.

post #16 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Any other receiver ideas?

post #17 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Any other receiver ideas?

Take a look at accessories4less and see what they currently have in stock that may be in your price range. You can often find really good deals on normally out-of-price-range AVR's there.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

Take a look at accessories4less and see what they currently have in stock that may be in your price range. You can often find really good deals on normally out-of-price-range AVR's there.

This. Got my Denon e-300 for well under MFR pricing + shipping.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page