Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would prefer they raised the prices a bit if they improve their reliability... I had three TOTL Onkyos, all failed with HDMI issues...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socketman View Post

Just curious, are those both msrp?

Yes sir, right from Onkyo's site: http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/prod_class.php?class=Receiver&source=globalnav
post #33 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Well maybe Audyssey needs to rethink their royalty fees. Other Onkyo, Denon and their sibling brands I can't think of a single one that use Audyssey.

If they drop XT32 off their higher end units you can be sure that most enthusiasts will think twice about purchasing an Onkyo.

post #34 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Well maybe Audyssey needs to rethink their royalty fees. Other Onkyo, Denon and their sibling brands I can't think of a single one that use Audyssey.

If they drop XT32 off their higher end units you can be sure that most enthusiasts will think twice about purchasing an Onkyo.

Basic economics..
The problem lies with the saturation of the AVR market, plus the eroding price points and resulting lower unit sales volume...
Since the primary AVR brands are already losing $, they are striving to shave/save costs anywhere so unless Audyssey revises its royalty rate structure downward they will end up in the same situation as THX found itself..
Awesome brand/name awareness but fewer paying customers..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #35 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Basic economics..
The problem lies with the saturation of the AVR market, plus the eroding price points and resulting lower unit sales volume...
Since the primary AVR brands are already losing $, they are striving to shave/save costs anywhere so unless Audyssey revises its royalty rate structure downward they will end up in the same situation as THX found itself..
Awesome brand/name awareness but fewer paying customers..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

And if you look at the Onkyo TX-NR636 product sheet (or any other AVR) at the end you will find something like this:

http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/sell_sheets/TX-NR636_US.pdf

"Due to a policy of continuous product improvement, Onkyo reserves the right to change specifications and appearance without notice. Manufactured under license from Dolby Laboratories. Dolby, Pro Logic, and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. For DTS patents, see http://patents.dts.com. Manufactured under license from DTS Licensing Limited. DTS, DTS-HD, the Symbol, & DTS and the Symbol together are registered trademarks, and DTS-HD Master Audio is a trademark of DTS, Inc. © DTS, Inc. All Rights Reserved. HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC in the United States and other countries. iPhone, iPod, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards. Please note that the use of this device with iPod or iPhone may affect wireless performance. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. InstaPrevue and the InstaPrevue logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Silicon Image, Inc. in the United States and other countries. MHL, the MHL Logo, and Mobile High-Definition Link are trademarks or registered trademarks of MHL LLC in the United States and other counties. Qdeo and QuietVideo are trademarks of Marvell or its affiliates. The Bluetooth word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries. Inc. WRAT, Music Optimizer, CinemaFILTER, Theater-Dimensional, and AccuEQ are trademarks of Onkyo Corporation. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective holders."

Do you still think it is only Audyssey to whom Onkyo (and other market players as well) are paying the license fee? How much do you think Onkyo can save by developing their own AccuEQ? cool.gif
post #36 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

1. The Cirrus Logic DSP chips can be programmed to handle a variety of room EQ softwares, including their own generic royalty-free version or either version of Audyssey, plus there is 1 other option from a less known source in Sweden.

I have yet to audition a prepro using Cirrus's generic EQ that worked well.  Moreover, some manufacturers that have implemented their "own" EQ systems on the Cirrus chipset have had problems as well.  

BTW, what "less known source in Sweden?"

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #37 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

And if you look at the Onkyo TX-NR636 product sheet (or any other AVR) at the end you will find something like this:

"Due to a policy of continuous product improvement, Onkyo reserves the right to change specifications and appearance without notice. Manufactured under license from Dolby Laboratories. Dolby, Pro Logic, and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories. For DTS patents, see http://patents.dts.com. Manufactured under license from DTS Licensing Limited. DTS, DTS-HD, the Symbol, & DTS and the Symbol together are registered trademarks, and DTS-HD Master Audio is a trademark of DTS, Inc. © DTS, Inc. All Rights Reserved. HDMI, the HDMI logo, and High-Definition Multimedia Interface are trademarks or registered trademarks of HDMI Licensing LLC in the United States and other countries. iPhone, iPod, iPod classic, iPod nano, iPod shuffle, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards. Please note that the use of this device with iPod or iPhone may affect wireless performance. Android is a trademark of Google Inc. InstaPrevue and the InstaPrevue logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Silicon Image, Inc. in the United States and other countries. MHL, the MHL Logo, and Mobile High-Definition Link are trademarks or registered trademarks of MHL LLC in the United States and other counties. Qdeo and QuietVideo are trademarks of Marvell or its affiliates. The Bluetooth word mark and logos are owned by the Bluetooth SIG, SIRIUS, XM and all related marks and logos are trademarks of SIRIUS XM Radio Inc. and its subsidiaries. Inc. WRAT, Music Optimizer, CinemaFILTER, Theater-Dimensional, and AccuEQ are trademarks of Onkyo Corporation. All other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective holders."

Do you still think it is only Audyssey to whom Onkyo (and other market players as well) are paying the license fee? How much do you think Onkyo can save by developing their own AccuEQ? cool.gif

Lets do some basic numbers..rolleyes.gif
The global AVR market is roughly about 4 million units, and lets say Onkyo has a 20% market share or about 800K AVRs...
And 60% of Onkyo AVR sales are in AVRs with an SRP of < $599 or equating to an AVR volume of 480K units....
Also lets say the Audyssey EQ royalty is $3 per unit or a total of $1,440K (480K x $3)... 😳
By using the generic royalty free EQ software from Cirrus Logic, the savings are almost $1.5 million. To a company losing money a savings of about $1.5 million is very significant..
Note that there are primary AVR brands that have been using the Cirrus Logic generic royalty free EQ for many, many years they just simply add their own unique marketing feature name... Also note that $0 development costs as well...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #38 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I have yet to audition a prepro using Cirrus's generic EQ that worked well.  Moreover, some manufacturers that have implemented their "own" EQ systems on the Cirrus chipset have had problems as well.  

BTW, what "less known source in Sweden?"

Kal..
The Dirac EQ sw is ported to the Cirrus Logic platform..
It is presently implemented and used in certain Naim and Datasat products..

Here is a link..
http://www.dirac.se/en/technologies/dirac-live/overview.aspx

Later..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #39 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Kal..
The Dirac EQ sw is ported to the Cirrus Logic platform..
It is presently implemented and used in certain Naim and Datasat products..

Here is a link..
http://www.dirac.se/en/technologies/dirac-live/overview.aspx

Later..

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

So I suspected.  I am using Dirac on my server and it is becoming available on Theta and Emotiva prepros.  It is a superb app but, I suspect that the licensing cost is an impediment to wide adoption.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #40 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Lets do some basic numbers..rolleyes.gif
The global AVR market is roughly about 4 million units, and lets say Onkyo has a 20% market share or about 800K AVRs...
And 60% of Onkyo AVR sales are in AVRs with an SRP of < $599 or equating to an AVR volume of 480K units....
Also lets say the Audyssey EQ royalty is $3 per unit or a total of $1,440K (480K x $3)... 😳
By using the generic royalty free EQ software from Cirrus Logic, the savings are almost $1.5 million. To a company losing money a savings of about $1.5 million is very significant..
Note that there are primary AVR brands that have been using the Cirrus Logic generic royalty free EQ for many, many years they just simply add their own unique marketing feature name... Also note that $0 development costs as well...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
These numbers that you've given, do they include ahataiab units?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #41 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

So I suspected.  I am using Dirac on my server and it is becoming available on Theta and Emotiva prepros.  It is a superb app but, I suspect that the licensing cost is an impediment to wide adoption.

Yup...
It works well, but its licensing & royalty costs are high. And the Dirac sw uses alot of DSP mips, so a powerful DSP is required.
Presently the Cirrus quad core DSP is the most powerful audio DSP available, and will be used extensively in the new pending products implementing DTS-UHD scheduled for release late 2014...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #42 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

These numbers that you've given, do they include ahataiab units?

ahataiab units.....😳 ??
I have no idea what this means unless its Home Theater systems..
If yes, then these are included, note that presently Onkyo has (4) home theater systems and (3) have Audyssey.
It does not include mini systems or soundbars...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #43 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

ahataiab units.....😳 ??
I have no idea what this means unless its Home Theater systems..
If yes, then these are included, note that presently Onkyo has (4) home theater systems and (3) have Audyssey.
It does not include mini systems or soundbars...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

Perhaps he's referring to "home theater in a box???"
post #44 of 57 Old 03-19-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Yeah, I don't know how I screwed that up. I mean, it's been months since my tourette kicked up!

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #45 of 57 Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So even the TX-NR3030 ditched Audyssey. I guess that means no hope for a 5030 still using Audyssey?
post #46 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 12:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
So even the TX-NR3030 ditched Audyssey. I guess that means no hope for a 5030 still using Audyssey?

the 3030 also ditched THX ULTRA 2................now is just THX SELECT 2 PLUS.........a downgrade in power for sure.........and weight compared to the 3009/3010.

no 5030 as far as I know.....their site seems to say that the 3030 is the top of the line model.
post #47 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
As a professional software engineer for many years I can state that developing software can be expensive. Of course there's always people willing to work for free and some free software is excellent but it took a lot of donated man hours to write something like mysql.

One presumes Audyssey is not a cheap piece of software to develop even if it's done in a cheaper country. Sometimes you do pay for better stuff, and Audyssey seems like one of the best out there as well as the fact they seem to still be improving their suite.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #48 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post
As a professional software engineer for many years I can state that developing software can be expensive. Of course there's always people willing to work for free and some free software is excellent but it took a lot of donated man hours to write something like mysql.

One presumes Audyssey is not a cheap piece of software to develop even if it's done in a cheaper country. Sometimes you do pay for better stuff, and Audyssey seems like one of the best out there as well as the fact they seem to still be improving their suite.
Based on what I've read, they didn't drop audyssey because of licensing costs. They dropped it because they didn't have enough processing power to do both audyssey and atmos.
post #49 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, there will be no Audyssey in any new Onkyo models. They will all use junk...I mean AccuEQ.

Comparison here: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-101-1645.html
post #50 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Less than half the local 'active' enthusiasts in KC uses Audyssey on equipped receivers. (this list is the guys I know about).

I'm not in the least upset about loosing Audyssey XT32. So long as I can set channel distances uniquely - and better yet - their EQ measure them out for me - I'm good. I've never liked Audyssey. I like dynamic EQ. I had one Onkyo that let me turn on dynamic EQ but leave off Audyssey - that was nice. I don't think Audyssey plays well with high efficiency waveguide compression drivers. It always makes them too bright.

Don't
Scrappydue (Klipsch speakers)
Mr Smithers (SEOS DIY speakers)
Archaea (JTR speakers)

Do
stitch1 (SVS speakers)
luke kamp (Klipsch speakers)

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #51 of 57 Old 07-23-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post
the 3030 also ditched THX ULTRA 2................now is just THX SELECT 2 PLUS.........a downgrade in power for sure.........and weight compared to the 3009/3010.

no 5030 as far as I know.....their site seems to say that the 3030 is the top of the line model.

Yeah, I noticed the Select2 Plus rating. I assumed they would be leaving the Ultra 2 for an eventual 5030 model. Such that the 3030 is supposed to be their new top model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
No, there will be no Audyssey in any new Onkyo models. They will all use junk...I mean AccuEQ.

Comparison here: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-101-1645.html
Well this really sucks. The reduced power rating and the lack of Audyssey means I'll be sticking with my 5010 and skip this generation entirely.
post #52 of 57 Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well this really sucks. The reduced power rating and the lack of Audyssey means I'll be sticking with my 5010 and skip this generation entirely.

Yeah, Onkyo shot themselves in the foot. Unfortunately, most of the mainstream consumers have no idea what sounds good, they just want to rattle off a list of "cool" features that their brand new receiver has to their friends, so I don't think it will affect the sales enough for them to reconsider dropping Audyssey.

Unfortunately, that means it will be time for me to switch to Denon after buying only Onkyo for the last two decades. While some people don't like Audyssey, XT32 has made the few setups that I'm around sound WORLDS better than without. It was staggering the first time I heard it. It literally sounded like different equipment. YMMV
post #53 of 57 Old 09-12-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I agree. The lack of XT32 has removed Onkyo as a brand consideration.

I really have a hard time believing Atmos is a worthwhile upgrade over XT 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #54 of 57 Old 09-12-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post
I agree. The lack of XT32 has removed Onkyo as a brand consideration.

I really have a hard time believing Atmos is a worthwhile upgrade over XT 32.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basic economics..
If I disclosed the real Audyssey royalty cost U would be blown away..
Considering Dynamic Volume, Dynamic EQ, XT it is a big number...
Onkyo is betting Dolby Atmos will be the bigger draw..
I agree with Onkyo...
The Atmos demos @ CEDIA 2014 in Denver are incredible,
Lets see how the market responds..
Check back in 90 days..

Just my $0.02...
dwaleke likes this.
post #55 of 57 Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 65
This 2.0 HDMI implementation/spec is for the promise of passing 4K video and the high resolution audio through over one connection, correct? From what Oppo told me, they in particular won't have a player than sends both the audio and 4K video over one HDMI out (like we do now with the 1.3a spec) for quite some time (they're gearing up to have some announcements at CES 2015)...

Of course, as they (Oppo) told me, one could still use one of their first-generation native 4K players (when they come out) with their dual HDMI outs to send 4K video to the display and the high resolution audio stream to an AVR via the second HDMI out...

post #56 of 57 Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Having worked as a software developer my entire adult life, and I am no spring chicken, an outsider would be amazed at the expense of software development. A single talented and motivated person could probably develop a good room correction system on their own, perhaps. And maybe do it in a year, and charge 100k for it.

But more likely it's a team. Teams have management. Management makes you follow processes. Marketing has input and keeps changing their mind. The hardware doesn't do what it's supposed to do, and you even up debugging your suppliers hardware. Someone quits in the middle. A critical, according to marketing request comes in, you shelve the current project to work on the new project, which has a probability of not making money...time and money wasted.

But what can you do? Get rid of PM and you have chaos and may fail without strong leadership. Get rid of marketing, and maybe your product won't meet anyone's needs and zero sales.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #57 of 57 Old 09-13-2014, 07:40 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Socketman

new room eq ...goodbye audyssey. something had to go .......

That may fly with these cheap receivers, but if they try to replace Audyssey with their in house version on the 8 and 9 series, they will shoot themselves in the foot. The main reason the 818 was so popular, was because of the XT32 at that price point. They already made a mistake by pushing it up to the 929 at a much higher price. I'm assuming that Audyssey has been raising their licensing price to include their tech on receivers and Onkyo is sick of it. Unfortunately, until Onkyo proves their room correction is as good (not going to happen), it will cost them sales if they implement it on the 8 and 9 series.
Only to their enthusiasts. I doubt the majority of their customers would know Audyssey from a Greek protagonist sailiing the Mediterranean.
htpcforever likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page