Old Onkyo receiver, HDMI 1.4, and 4k UHD TV...need some help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-19-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi everyone, I have a question. I currently have an older Samsung UN55C8000 and I am looking at possibly upgrading to one of the new 4k Samsung TVs (either the F9000, HU8550, or HU9000). I have an old Onkyo HT-RC260 receiver that has HDMI 1.4 and 3D capabilities. This should be fine as well for 4k playback, right? I know the frame rate would only be 4k at 30fps as opposed to HDMI 2.0's 4k at 60fps. But I'd rather not upgrade my receiver if there won't be that much of a difference between the two specs. Right now, I have everything hooked up to my receiver and a single HDMI cable running from the receiver to the TV. I'd like to keep the same setup if I decide on picking up the F9000 and not have to bother getting a new receiver. What do you guys think?

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV
Samsung BD-C6900 and BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray players
Onkyo HT-S770 home theater system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-19-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258

I did not see 4k mentioned in the manual, so it is hard to say if it can pass a 4k signal or not.  I think you will have to try it to find out.

And, of course, this will only matter if you actually have a 4k source.  Otherwise, your new 4k TV will simply be upconverting lesser signals anyway, and the receiver will not need to pass any 4k at all.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-19-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
There is almost no 4K content available.

Who would care?

The Sony high-end media player is about the only thing that will play it, if you can find it.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-20-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the help! True, there's barely any 4k content available at the moment...my thought process regarding the lack of specific 4k support is that while the HT-RC260 doesn't specifically mention 4k support, it DOES have HDMI 1.4 and my understanding is that 1.4 is 4k compliant (albeit it 30 fps). HDMI 2.0 would be able to pass through a 4k signal at 60 fps. I'm not massively OCD when it comes to videophile stuff, so I'm wondering if there would be a big visual difference between the two formats to warrant buying an upgraded receiver when the 4k content becomes available. I'm perfectly happy with my old receiver and want to stick with that for as long as possible.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
post #5 of 7 Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 805
The receiver will not pass 4K content. Not important. You just choose a 4K player with two HDMI ports. Connect one to the TV and the other to the receiver.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-20-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreaky_d View Post

Thanks for the help! True, there's barely any 4k content available at the moment...my thought process regarding the lack of specific 4k support is that while the HT-RC260 doesn't specifically mention 4k support, it DOES have HDMI 1.4 and my understanding is that 1.4 is 4k compliant (albeit it 30 fps). HDMI 2.0 would be able to pass through a 4k signal at 60 fps. I'm not massively OCD when it comes to videophile stuff, so I'm wondering if there would be a big visual difference between the two formats to warrant buying an upgraded receiver when the 4k content becomes available. I'm perfectly happy with my old receiver and want to stick with that for as long as possible.

You should wait and decide that if and when the issue becomes important.  Right now, you don't need to upgrade, and so right now, you should not upgrade.  You can expect that, eventually, they will either come out with something you feel the need to have, or that your present receiver will eventually fail, so then you will be looking for a receiver, and then you will have different options than are currently available (unless your receiver dies pretty much immediately).  Since you cannot be certain what will be available in the future, you cannot make the decision now.  Enjoy your current receiver and stop worrying so much.

old corps likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

EXCELLENT advice everyone, I really appreciate it. Thank you all very much! smile.gif I'll stick with what I have for now and save the money.

Samsung KN55S9C OLED TV
LG EL9500 OLED TV
Sony XEL-1 OLED TV (x2)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors