Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 03-19-2014, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey guys. I've appreciated all of the feedback I'm getting over on the sub forum, I figured I'd head over here and get some suggestions on receivers. The reason I'm very interested in the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1020 is due to its $400 price drop at crutchfield.com. I thought this was a great price for a 7.2 receiver. Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions on it?

Also, with a budget if less than $800, let me know if you guys have any other recommendations that would be comparable.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 03-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Liked: 50
That's a good choice, but without knowing your specific feature requirements it will be difficult to recommend other options.

I would look at the Emotiva Fusion 8100 or UMC-200 with external amp (if you can get that for less than $800). For sound quality alone these choices will probably be better, but from everything I've read the 1020/1030 are good choices too that will have additional features.

If you are the type of person that always wonders what the next higher up product offers it would be difficult to grab the 1020 knowing the 20x0 and 30x0 add a bunch more. You get subwoofer EQ options and multiple subwoofer with the 20x0 and above. 30x0 adds angle measurements for speakers adjustments.
post #3 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

That's a good choice, but without knowing your specific feature requirements it will be difficult to recommend other options.

I would look at the Emotiva Fusion 8100 or UMC-200 with external amp (if you can get that for less than $800). For sound quality alone these choices will probably be better, but from everything I've read the 1020/1030 are good choices too that will have additional features.

If you are the type of person that always wonders what the next higher up product offers it would be difficult to grab the 1020 knowing the 20x0 and 30x0 add a bunch more. You get subwoofer EQ options and multiple subwoofer with the 20x0 and above. 30x0 adds angle measurements for speakers adjustments.

To be honest, this is my first receiver purchase. I've always done out of the box systems. With my home being built, I had the option to finally create own and want to do it right - within a budget haha.

I'm looking for something that offers me 7.2 option. The speakers I'm getting are speaker craft AIM7 MT THREE. I'm deciding now between SVS and PSA subs. 20x13x8 room that is open on one side to the breakfast area and kitchen.
post #4 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 06:20 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I think your choice is a good one. Yamaha has a sterling reputation for reliability. As long as the unit you chose has the features you and want and will use, you should be fine.
post #5 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 132
If this is your first AV receiver, I'd say it's "too good" my first AV amplifier was the Yamaha DSP-590, it's still going strong even now.

Since you're going into ceiling speakers, I guess not to concerned about sound quality.

I'd personally drop down a couple of models of AV amplifier tbh.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

The speakers are actually in wall speakers. This is what was recommended by the contractor for accoustical purposes. Speakers can change - was mainly concerned with having the wiring done. I think the ones I'm getting are good quality. Maybe not high end, top of the line but certainly not bad.

As far as the receiver, I'm not going to skimp because it's my first. I've learned not to half @ss things and do things right when the options are available.
post #7 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 AM

I have always read that in-wall cannot compete with regular speakers at the same price point. Even at much higher price point for in-wall they still do not compete with regular speakers of much lower price point. I've never owned in-wall but I've read there multiple times from people that have.

So based on that if you do not have to go in-wall I wouldn't. But go do some research to see what others have experienced. The 1020 is not a bad choice. You can get an HTR-7065 on Amazon for ~500. That is the same as RX-A820/RX-V773. Something to consider if you want to save a few bucks. To me the 1020 is kind of in the middle. Doesn't do what the 20x0/30x0 does, but a little bit better sounding than the 820 and below stuff. I would either settle for 820 or lower (since they all sound about the same) or spend extra for 20x0/30x0. But that's me.
post #8 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have always read that in-wall cannot compete with regular speakers at the same price point. Even at much higher price point for in-wall they still do not compete with regular speakers of much lower price point. I've never owned in-wall but I've read there multiple times from people that have.

So based on that if you do not have to go in-wall I wouldn't. But go do some research to see what others have experienced. The 1020 is not a bad choice. You can get an HTR-7065 on Amazon for ~500. That is the same as RX-A820/RX-V773. Something to consider if you want to save a few bucks. To me the 1020 is kind of in the middle. Doesn't do what the 20x0/30x0 does, but a little bit better sounding than the 820 and below stuff. I would either settle for 820 or lower (since they all sound about the same) or spend extra for 20x0/30x0. But that's me.

Well to be honest, I haven't heard anything bad about in wall speakers and it definitely can't be any worse than just having a box home theater system. When I was touring the model home in my plan I was very impressed with the in ceiling speakers so I can only imagine how the in wall will sound!

Can someone you or someone give me a little more detail on why the 1020 is just "not a bad choice"? It seems to bet getting rave reviews no matter where I look?!

post #9 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 12:02 PM

If you are comparing in-wall to HTIB then you are probably right. Most people on this forum have moved well beyond HTIB. That 1020 is way overkill for that level of sound. Any receiver will do at that level assuming it offers the features you are looking for.

The 1020 is a good choice. If it were my money though I'd buy a Fusion 8100 over the 1020. Better sound with features that allow me to tweak it to my liking. That has a value to me. It may not have value to you. That's why it is difficult to recommend a product. We do not know what features are valuable to you. For instance Airplay, DLNA, Video conversion all have zero value to me. Those might be important to you.
post #10 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If you are comparing in-wall to HTIB then you are probably right. Most people on this forum have moved well beyond HTIB. That 1020 is way overkill for that level of sound. Any receiver will do at that level assuming it offers the features you are looking for.

The 1020 is a good choice. If it were my money though I'd buy a Fusion 8100 over the 1020. Better sound with features that allow me to tweak it to my liking. That has a value to me. It may not have value to you. That's why it is difficult to recommend a product. We do not know what features are valuable to you. For instance Airplay, DLNA, Video conversion all have zero value to me. Those might be important to you.

As I'm new to the building my own home theater, I don't really have the best knowledge on this stuff. The reason I was looking at that receiver was because my father in law and recommended it, especially at the price.

Can you explain to me what is wrong with the specs on the speakers I am getting? As speakercraft is my only option for speakers (contractor is offering this brand as the only option), are there speakers they make that would be better?

post #11 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said that Yamaha is just way too good for in wall speakers, I'd be looking at 500 or 600 series.

You can get quality in wall speakers, but they cost.

http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/custom_installed_speakers/ci_series/speaker/Ci9000ACE/index.html
http://www.kef.com/html/en/showroom/custom_installed_speakers/ci_series/speaker/Ci5160RL/index.html

I just don't see the point of a close to £1k AV amp with inwall speakers, unless you start going into ones like those Kef's.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #12 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHarmo88 View Post

As I'm new to the building my own home theater, I don't really have the best knowledge on this stuff. The reason I was looking at that receiver was because my father in law and recommended it, especially at the price.

Can you explain to me what is wrong with the specs on the speakers I am getting? As speakercraft is my only option for speakers (contractor is offering this brand as the only option), are there speakers they make that would be better?

I'm sorry but I am not familiar enough with the speakercraft brand of speakers. Search this forum for in-wall speakers and pros/cons in general. That will help guide you.

If it were me I'd not have the contractor use them and pocket the cash to spend on my own setup.

Like I said before that recommendation for the 1020 is not a bad one at $699. You can pick up a 1030 for $850 new as well. So it may seem like a steal at $699, but in reality it's only a small savings over what the 10x0 series current model can be bought for regularly. Find it at $499 and I'd buy one right now to use in a spare room.
post #13 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm sorry but I am not familiar enough with the speakercraft brand of speakers. Search this forum for in-wall speakers and pros/cons in general. That will help guide you.

If it were me I'd not have the contractor use them and pocket the cash to spend on my own setup.

Like I said before that recommendation for the 1020 is not a bad one at $699. You can pick up a 1030 for $850 new as well. So it may seem like a steal at $699, but in reality it's only a small savings over what the 10x0 series current model can be bought for regularly. Find it at $499 and I'd buy one right now to use in a spare room.

Okay so I just talked to the contractor and I don't have to do speakercraft. I don't have much time to decide. He noted he can get Boston Acostic, Klipsch, PSB, and other brands. I have to tell him what I'd be interested in and he can price them out. Suggestions?

post #14 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:

Okay so I just talked to the contractor and I don't have to do speakercraft. I don't have much time to decide. He noted he can get Boston Acostic, Klipsch, PSB, and other brands. I have to tell him what I'd be interested in and he can price them out. Suggestions?

Does it have to be in wall? If not just have him run the wiring and then get speakers on your own. If it has to be in wall, then get best you can.

The 1020 is a very nice AVR for 699. The 1030 is virtually identical. The Fusion 8100 while enticing, isn't even available yet, and has very limited connectivity. Another choice somewhere between the Fusion and Yamaha for features would be the NAD 748V2.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #15 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

Does it have to be in wall? If not just have him run the wiring and then get speakers on your own. If it has to be in wall, then get best you can.

The 1020 is a very nice AVR for 699. The 1030 is virtually identical. The Fusion 8100 while enticing, isn't even available yet, and has very limited connectivity. Another choice somewhere between the Fusion and Yamaha for features would be the NAD 748V2.

They do have to be in wall; except for the center speaker. I'm not too knowledgable on speakers so I'm not exactly sure what the best would be within in budget (if you have any suggestions please let me know).

I thought the 1020 was really nice too. After comparing it with the 1030 on crutchfield, there really isn't any difference.  

post #16 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Budget for the speakers?

if no budget

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/showroom/custom_installed_speakers/ci_series/speaker/Ci5160RL/index.html#filter=389

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #17 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Budget for the speakers?

if no budget

Unfortunately, I have a budget haha. I'd like to keep it under $1,000

post #18 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Generally in wall speakers are more expensive.

I remember seeing the Kef Reference inwall. Exactly the same as my Kef Reference center, but several hundred pounds more. You'd think inwalls would cost less as less materials. Also frequency response wasn't as good, as internal space is smaller. Plus would require a false internal wall as it's too deep.

$1000 budget? For the whole lot, including sub? And you're spending so much on a AV amp with such a low budget speaker system.

You're doing it wrong...

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #19 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

Generally in wall speakers are more expensive.

I remember seeing the Kef Reference inwall. Exactly the same as my Kef Reference center, but several hundred pounds more. You'd think inwalls would cost less as less materials. Also frequency response wasn't as good, as internal space is smaller. Plus would require a false internal wall as it's too deep.

$1000 budget? For the whole lot, including sub? And you're spending so much on a AV amp with such a low budget speaker system.

You're doing it wrong...

No no. The $1,000 budget is for the 5 speakers. So what speakers, under $1,000, would go with that receiver or comparable receiver?

I've decided on the SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. 

post #20 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

How does anyone know what the 8100 sounds like if it hasn't come out yet? Is it because it is more customizable in ti's features? I'm looking at both of these units too which is why I ask.
post #21 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace79 View Post

How does anyone know what the 8100 sounds like if it hasn't come out yet? Is it because it is more customizable in ti's features? I'm looking at both of these units too which is why I ask.

According to emotiva's forum it's basically the UMC200 with the UPA-500 built in or something close. It's an upgraded version of the Sherbourn 8100. It added a full set of pre-outs and maybe some other stuff.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #22 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post

According to emotiva's forum it's basically the UMC200 with the UPA-500 built in or something close. It's an upgraded version of the Sherbourn 8100. It added a full set of pre-outs and maybe some other stuff.

Can someone summarize/explain to me the differences between the Yamaha 1020/1030 and the Emotiva 8100?

post #23 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 PM

Yamaha may have more features, but 8100 / UMC-200 will probably have better sound quality.
post #24 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Can someone summarize/explain to me the differences between the Yamaha 1020/1030 and the Emotiva 8100?

I know for one they are both rated at 110watts w/ 2-channels driven but only the 8100 is rated w/ all 7 channels driven @ 65watts. The 8100 has a toroidal power supply though and supposedly those are pretty decent. Not sure what the Yamaha has. You get more bells and whistles with the 1020 vs the 8100 though. I don't care about bells and whistles. I want to know what sounds better and if the Yamaha can keep up in power with the 8100.
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/av-receivers/products/fusion-8100
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x0O1WVcYSSq/p_022RXA1020/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1020.html
post #25 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I know for one they are both rated at 110watts w/ 2-channels driven but only the 8100 is rated w/ all 7 channels driven @ 65watts. The 8100 has a toroidal power supply though and supposedly those are pretty decent. Not sure what the Yamaha has. You get more bells and whistles with the 1020 vs the 8100 though. I don't care about bells and whistles. I want to know what sounds better and if the Yamaha can keep up in power with the 8100.

I just want something that's going to make movies and video games sound incredible. Before I moved out of my apartment, I was using my Samsung - 5.1CH Blu-ray Home Entertainment System (HT-E6500W). I loved this system but it was a boxed system. So I'm sure either the Yamaha or the Emotiva will blow it away. 

What does the Yamaha have that the Emotiva doesn't and vice versa? I know I can compare them at those website; however, like I said, I'm not the most versed in what I'm looking for. 

post #26 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:

I just want something that's going to make movies and video games sound incredible. Before I moved out of my apartment, I was using my Samsung - 5.1CH Blu-ray Home Entertainment System (HT-E6500W). I loved this system but it was a boxed system. So I'm sure either the Yamaha or the Emotiva will blow it away. 

What does the Yamaha have that the Emotiva doesn't and vice versa? I know I can compare them at those website; however, like I said, I'm not the most versed in what I'm looking for. 

I don't think the 8100 has video upscaling. Think it's just like the UMC-200 where it just passes the video signal straight through. So if you game on say an old Wii, the video would come out in what the Wii is set to. The Yamaha will make the video signal fit the TV as it does have upscaling up to 4K. That may be a big factor for you but since I game on PC I can control all my settings on the GPU (graphics card.)

The Yamaha has Apple Airplay and you can download an app to your iPhone or Android and control the music from your phone. I think you can do something similar with the 8100 but only if you buy the $50 USB bluetooth adapter from EMotiva.

The Emo 8100 has Fusion Advanced Room Correction System vs Yamaha's YPAO. I don't know what is better but I think the Emo will is more customizable I hear.

They both have multiple zone support.

The Yamaha looks to have WAY more HDMI inputs (8,) and also has S-video, composite inputs as well. The 8100 only has 4 HDMI inputs so this could be a factor if you want to plug in an older console.

They both have pre-outs for an external amp if need be.

THe 8100 has A/B amps but I don't know what the Yamaha uses.

The surround formats all seem to be the latest on both models.
post #27 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Grab the Yamaha, you will be more than happy with it. Crutchfield is a solid place to buy from and they will take great care of you. I picked up a RX-A1000 a couple years ago and its a great piece of equipment.
post #28 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:41 PM

I'm sure there's more differences but that's what I could find by looking at the two together.
post #29 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm sure there's more differences but that's what I could find by looking at the two together.

Thank you for taking time to do that for me Trace. I really do appreciate it. After reading what you put together, it looks like the Yamaha would be the better option for me.

So I think I'm now doing the Yamaha, not sure if I'll do the 1020 or 1030, but I know the receiver brand ha. I'm doing the SVS PB-2000 subwoofer. Now I just need help picking speakers haha.

post #30 of 66 Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Np. Don't forget to post an update on what you get and how everything sounds/works together smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page