AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   Would I benefit much from mixing in a DAC in this setup (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1524135-would-i-benefit-much-mixing-dac-setup.html)

theDeviL 03-24-2014 02:47 PM

I've been utilizing a Airport Express (latest model) connected to a Bose CineMate GS Series II digital home theater speaker system using a 3.5mm Male to Dual RCA Male (Red/White) cable.

Should I sandwich a DAC in this setup or would simply upgrading the cable to a Fiber Audio Cable provide the best audio output.


Essentially I want to maximize the quality to the best my hardware can put out but I'm unsure as to weather the audio coming out of my Airport or the DAC inside the Bose system allow room for improvement from a DAC.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

kikkenit2 03-25-2014 12:03 AM

An external dac is a waste. A digital cable is cheap. You could try digital into the Bose box.
Chances are you are already getting the best sound quality that speaker set will do the way it is connected.

fatbottom 03-25-2014 12:17 AM

Dispose of the Bose CineMate GS Series II.
Don't waste your money trying to get better sound quality if working around the Bose.

arnyk 03-25-2014 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDeviL View Post

I've been utilizing a Airport Express (latest model) connected to a Bose CineMate GS Series II digital home theater speaker system using a 3.5mm Male to Dual RCA Male (Red/White) cable.

Should I sandwich a DAC in this setup or would simply upgrading the cable to a Fiber Audio Cable provide the best audio output.

Neither.
Quote:
Essentially I want to maximize the quality to the best my hardware can put out but I'm unsure as to weather the audio coming out of my Airport or the DAC inside the Bose system allow room for improvement from a DAC.

Bose does not provide the best value for the money invested and that is probably the worst sounding part of your system. Major in majors, not minors like fancy DACs and cables. The majors are speakers and room acoustics.

theDeviL 03-25-2014 08:43 AM

Guys thanks for all the input, I've had no experience with this Bose unit... I didn't pay for it though so I don't feel too bad I was just looking to make the bast of what I have I'm more of a B&W guy, I like to use compact units like the Zeppelin and the A7 around the house because I live in a New York apartment and I don't have room for elaborate speaker setups. i don't own a single DAC in the house and have never had any experience with them (noob alert)

I am however very interested in acquiring a DAC and a proper compact speak setup to see how it will impact my listening habits.

thanks again!

jontyrees 03-25-2014 01:31 PM

I'd guess zero benefit from an external DAC. It's just going to do exactly what the DAC in the Airport Express or the Bose system already does. An optical cable from monoprice is about $4 shipped, so try it and see (hear). i'm going with another guess that the current miniplug to RCA is going to sound just as good though. And isn't it funny how there's always someone telling you to change your speakers when you ALREADY OWN the Bose system.

theDeviL 03-25-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I'd guess zero benefit from an external DAC. It's just going to do exactly what the DAC in the Airport Express or the Bose system already does. An optical cable from monoprice is about $4 shipped, so try it and see (hear). i'm going with another guess that the current miniplug to RCA is going to sound just as good though. And isn't it funny how there's always someone telling you to change your speakers when you ALREADY OWN the Bose system.

I never imagined Bose to be so low in the opinion of audiophiles, I mean I get that most all-in-one configurations are subpar but I really thought Bose was the exception, it serves its purpose for me but I'm more interested in venturing into high end audio at this point.

arnyk 03-25-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDeviL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I'd guess zero benefit from an external DAC. It's just going to do exactly what the DAC in the Airport Express or the Bose system already does. An optical cable from monoprice is about $4 shipped, so try it and see (hear). i'm going with another guess that the current miniplug to RCA is going to sound just as good though. And isn't it funny how there's always someone telling you to change your speakers when you ALREADY OWN the Bose system.

I never imagined Bose to be so low in the opinion of audiophiles, I mean I get that most all-in-one configurations are subpar but I really thought Bose was the exception, it serves its purpose for me but I'm more interested in venturing into high end audio at this point.

I'm probably the most charitable person about Bose that you will ever find on an audio forum, or close to it. My story is that Bose is very carefully designed to meet the perceived needs of more typical people than serious music lovers and audiophiles. I will also tell you that there are lots of people who are really happy with their Bose equipment because of that care that Bose takes. I have to admit that the last Bose home speakers I heard were an Acoustimass system and if I turned it up at all it sounded like %$#!!. There car audio stuff is IMO better. Their live sound stuff gets worse and worse the less conventional it looks and those tall skinny things show up in a lot of churches where IMO they generally perform the role of local examples of the Biblical word Abomination, whether the congregation gets it or not.

kikkenit2 03-26-2014 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDeviL View Post

I never imagined Bose to be so low in the opinion of audiophiles, I mean I get that most all-in-one configurations are subpar but I really thought Bose was the exception, it serves its purpose for me but I'm more interested in venturing into high end audio at this point.
Bose is the biggest scam in audio. They get away with it by heavy marketing everywhere. They brag about reflected sound. That is the sound we try to filter out. And they use the cheapest drivers, dacs etc. possible and wrap it in a fancy package. Mr. Bose died recently. He didn't die poor. Monster cable is scam #2.

jontyrees 03-26-2014 02:24 PM

I gotta put Monster, and other even more expensive cables at #1 scam. The Bose stuff is probably only 2x to 3x the price it should be, those cables are 10x at least. Some Bose gear is really pretty good - I have a pair of their noise cancelling headphones that are great on airplanes. Did I pay the $299 for them? Hell no! They were free, but I like them.

kikkenit2 03-26-2014 03:58 PM

The headphones are a ripoff too. I use $30 inner ear phones that sound better and block out everything else. More comfortable too. Different strokes for different folks. Bose has been profitable, but not with my money.

fatbottom 03-26-2014 04:59 PM

If you spend £3500 on Bose Lifestyle 535 Mk II you need you head checked. I can build a much nicer sounding, better quality system for £500. Standard AV components as well. Yamaha 363 and Wharfedale DX-1

hmm I could buy 7 of them, and put a 5.1 system in every room, for the same price as that Bose.

theDeviL 03-26-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

If you spend £3500 on Bose Lifestyle 535 Mk II you need you head checked. I can build a much nicer sounding, better quality system for £500. Standard AV components as well. Yamaha 363 and Wharfedale DX-1

hmm I could buy 7 of them, and put a 5.1 system in every room, for the same price as that Bose.

I didn't spend any money on these, they where in my office and when we moved to a new office we got rid of the setup so I brought them home with me. wink.gif it will serve as a bedroom setup until I can gradually improve my audio.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.