How Do I Use and Mess With Equalization on my Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have the Marantz receiver. Model number SR5001.

How to I use equalization  on my receiver?? I want full control like I have in Music Bee (Windows)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

and is playing my FLAC files from my adroid OUT to my receiver a bad idea regarding quality?

post #3 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

my vinyl player is connected to the receiver via audio cables (red/white). can i use the equalizer on my phone to control the vinyl?

post #4 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificredhawk View Post

my vinyl player is connected to the receiver via audio cables (red/white). can i use the equalizer on my phone to control the vinyl?

nope. not in the signal chain. just like you cannot use the equalizer in my receiver . . . or an EQ section from Electric Lady studios in NYC to adjust your vinyl playback.
as far as using whatever eq is built into your receiver, your manual will tell you how to get to it. Probably only works on digital signals, however, and unless the receiver can digitize the phono inputs, the EQ section cannot touch vinyl playback (because the EQ operates in the digital domain).

so if the Q is how to use the EQ in the receiver on vinyl, the answer is, first figure out whether you can digitize the phono inputs. If the question is how to use the EQ built into the receiver, the answer is turn it on and play with it.

If the question is why isn't the EQ in my receiver like the EQ in some software I have on my computer, well, that's life. My receiver is far less capable in terms of EQ flexibility (not to mention other effects and highly controllable dynamics processing) than the ancient Yamaha XGWorks system that sits on an old (unplugged) Pentium system in my basement. Receivers aren't Digital Audio Workstations, and can't be expected to have any more flexibility than they actually possess.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

nope. not in the signal chain. just like you cannot use the equalizer in my receiver . . . or an EQ section from Electric Lady studios in NYC to adjust your vinyl playback.
as far as using whatever eq is built into your receiver, your manual will tell you how to get to it. Probably only works on digital signals, however, and unless the receiver can digitize the phono inputs, the EQ section cannot touch vinyl playback (because the EQ operates in the digital domain).

so if the Q is how to use the EQ in the receiver on vinyl, the answer is, first figure out whether you can digitize the phono inputs. If the question is how to use the EQ built into the receiver, the answer is turn it on and play with it.

If the question is why isn't the EQ in my receiver like the EQ in some software I have on my computer, well, that's life. My receiver is far less capable in terms of EQ flexibility (not to mention other effects and highly controllable dynamics processing) than the ancient Yamaha XGWorks system that sits on an old (unplugged) Pentium system in my basement. Receivers aren't Digital Audio Workstations, and can't be expected to have any more flexibility than they actually possess.

thanks

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page