Yamaha RX-V*77 Owners Thread (2014 models) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 270 Old 07-10-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 154
If you connect a stereo analog source it gets digitized inside the receiver, then you can apply any digital processing. e.g. Dolby PLII to expand stereo to 5.1. But I don't see the point of using an external DAC only to have the receiver re-digitize the signal and finally pass it through another DAC on output. You might as well feed a digital signal to the receiver (optical or HDMI).

Higher models than the 377 let you keep an analog input as analog, so an external DAC might make some sense. But you would lose the ability to process to 5.1 and do bass management. And the 377 doesn't have this option (called Pure Direct) anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 270 Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Anyone looking for a RX-V777BT needs to go to Rakuten.com and check it out.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #93 of 270 Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
If you connect a stereo analog source it gets digitized inside the receiver, then you can apply any digital processing. e.g. Dolby PLII to expand stereo to 5.1. But I don't see the point of using an external DAC only to have the receiver re-digitize the signal and finally pass it through another DAC on output. You might as well feed a digital signal to the receiver (optical or HDMI).

Higher models than the 377 let you keep an analog input as analog, so an external DAC might make some sense. But you would lose the ability to process to 5.1 and do bass management. And the 377 doesn't have this option (called Pure Direct) anyway.
I was surprised the 375 lacked Pure Direct, it being a somewhat simple feature. One possibility is they omit it as a distinguishing step up features. It's simple enough using the GUI to disable the subwoofer, which automatically sets all speakers to large (and back again when re-enabled.) I used that when testing the 375 - I wanted to check if I could hear a difference when it had to drive five speakers full range. I did not notice anything obvious ( but I always suggest using a subwoofer as my experience has shown me it's gives an improvement in sound, and will definitely take some load of the receiver's power supply.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #94 of 270 Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I thought the RCA audio in bypasses the onboard dac [but not the dsp(?)] My external dac doesn't click/pop when i use wasapi on pc, so that's why im considering it. I would appreciate if someone can test this on their pc to see if it's it also pop/clicks for them.

Last edited by imeem; 07-10-2014 at 07:31 PM.
post #95 of 270 Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post
I thought the RCA audio in bypasses the onboard dac [but not the dsp(?)]

The DSP can only process a digital signal, so RCA analog input has to be digitized before DSP processing, and then it has to go through the onboard DAC.
imeem likes this.
post #96 of 270 Old 07-11-2014, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got my 477 today and I wonder if everybody else has the latest firmware 1.09 or if there is a newer one?

Very happy with it so far. Sounds a lot better than my old Pioneer VSX-920K that was a lot more expensive.
post #97 of 270 Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
That is a stellar price!

How does one verify if rakuten.com (aka buy.com) is an authorized Yamaha reseller in order to ensure the warranty remains valid?

I checked the Yamaha website and the only other online resellers they reference are amazon.com, abt.com, and crutchfield.com.

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #98 of 270 Old 07-11-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
That is a stellar price!

How does one verify if rakuten.com (aka buy.com) is an authorized Yamaha reseller in order to ensure the warranty remains valid?

I checked the Yamaha website and the only other online resellers they reference are amazon.com, abt.com, and crutchfield.com.
I did not know the answer to this question, so I called Yamaha and was told that they are authorized dealers and full warranty would be in-force.
So if your looking at that model I think your good to go.
The problem with Rakuten is that they have limited quanity, and usually when there out, it's a while before they get anymore.
I know this cause I got closed out on a Yamaha Soundbar one time.

post #99 of 270 Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I just purchased the v677 and noticed that when using a stereo analog source, very few of the sound programs (audio modes) will use the subwoofer. The display on the receiver turns the SW icon off. The only sound programs that activate the subwoofer on a stereo input are the game ones, like RoleplayingGame or action game. Even using the different Pro Logic choices, only the PLII game or Neo6 optioms enable the subwoofer.

I guess I am surprised that just normal Pro Logic or any of the Movie sound programs don't enable the subwoofer when using a stereo soirce. Is that normal? My old Onkyo receiver played the subwoofer on Pro Logic. Perhaps I am missing a setting on the Yamaha? Thanks in advance.
post #100 of 270 Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I did not know the answer to this question, so I called Yamaha and was told that they are authorized dealers and full warranty would be in-force.
So if your looking at that model I think your good to go.
The problem with Rakuten is that they have limited quanity, and usually when there out, it's a while before they get anymore.
I know this cause I got closed out on a Yamaha Soundbar one time.
Found the Yamaha's Authorized Internet Retailers:
Abt Electronics
Accessories 4 Less
Adorama
Amazon.com
Audiogurus
B&H Photo
Best Buy
Best Price Audio Video
BrandsMart
Buy.com
Circuit City
COMP USA
Crutchfield
Dell.com
Diamond Case Designs
Fry's
HHGregg
Home Theater Store / Modia
IQ Home Entertainment
J & R Music
Kraft Music
Music Direct
New Egg
One Call
Paul's TV
Sound Advice
SoundEarphones
Tiger Direct
Videoland/Modia
Worldwide Stereo
Your Electronic Warehouse

As you stated, rakuten.com aka buy.com is on the list.

Last edited by kokishin; 07-11-2014 at 03:29 PM.
post #101 of 270 Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 PM

k i think something is wrong with my 377 or just all 377 in general. I can always reproduce the click noise on windows 7/8, by right clicking the sound icon, going to properties and press test on the bit depth and sample rate. the clicking noise isn't normal for a DAC. Seems to be the worse with hdmi.

Last edited by imeem; 07-11-2014 at 07:53 PM.
post #102 of 270 Old 07-11-2014, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone's wired connection borked after the fw update?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LG 60PM6700 (2012)
Moto HD DVR + Suddenlink HD>>>Xbox One
PS3
Yamaha RX-677 w/ 5.1

Samsung LNT4665F (2008) - OTA Tuner - LG Blu Ray - Panasonic HD-DVD
post #103 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 12:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Thanks, what great freakin timing..
I kept holding off to buy a receiver and tonight I decided Yamaha was was it. I was trying to decide on 2013 models or the 77's. Over $300 on a 2014 model made my choice...
post #104 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

The RX-V777BT deal at Rakuten.com is Over. They are back to full price. Congrats to the people who got one.
You can keep checking on a daily basis and sometimes catch one at the Sale price.

post #105 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What was the price?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LG 60PM6700 (2012)
Moto HD DVR + Suddenlink HD>>>Xbox One
PS3
Yamaha RX-677 w/ 5.1

Samsung LNT4665F (2008) - OTA Tuner - LG Blu Ray - Panasonic HD-DVD
post #106 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sent you a PM. Price Talk is prohibited on the forum.

post #107 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Just got a 677 to replace an ailing Onkyo HT-RT360 and I seem to have gone backward in functionality, given the huge price difference between this receiver and a newer Onkyo I was expecting much more. Perhaps I just haven't found the right options yet:

On the Onkyo, I could go to any channel in the vTuner, SiriusXM, Pandora apps etc. and add it to a Favorites menu. I could then pick any of my favorites directly without having to go to the individual app. I see nothing like that here, only a "bookmark" feature in the vTuner app. It looks like if I want to listen to SiriusXM or other app I have to drill down through all the menus each time to find the station I want.

On the Onkyo (and previous Denon) Zone2 could follow whatever source the main zone was tuned to, on the Yamaha I seem to have to select a specific source. Also, I could assign the HDMI inputs to a specific source that also had analog inputs, so when I tuned to Tivo the main zone got the HDMI audio and the analog audio went to Zone 2

I was also disappointed how little of the setup could be done via the web interface or the iPad app, especially all the stuff that requires typing like user names and passwords, input names etc.

I'm thinking about returning this and getting the cheaper Onkyo HT-RT560 if I can't find a way to make selecting favorite network audio sources more wife-friendly
post #108 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
Just got a 677 to replace an ailing Onkyo HT-RT360 and I seem to have gone backward in functionality, given the huge price difference between this receiver and a newer Onkyo I was expecting much more. Perhaps I just haven't found the right options yet:

On the Onkyo, I could go to any channel in the vTuner, SiriusXM, Pandora apps etc. and add it to a Favorites menu. I could then pick any of my favorites directly without having to go to the individual app. I see nothing like that here, only a "bookmark" feature in the vTuner app. It looks like if I want to listen to SiriusXM or other app I have to drill down through all the menus each time to find the station I want.

On the Onkyo (and previous Denon) Zone2 could follow whatever source the main zone was tuned to, on the Yamaha I seem to have to select a specific source. Also, I could assign the HDMI inputs to a specific source that also had analog inputs, so when I tuned to Tivo the main zone got the HDMI audio and the analog audio went to Zone 2

I was also disappointed how little of the setup could be done via the web interface or the iPad app, especially all the stuff that requires typing like user names and passwords, input names etc.

I'm thinking about returning this and getting the cheaper Onkyo HT-RT560 if I can't find a way to make selecting favorite network audio sources more wife-friendly
I've been considering the Yamaha RX-V777BT so your feedback on the V677 is interesting since they are similar.

I'm also thinking about the Onkyo TX-NR636 but Onkyo's reliability worries me. What is the problem you're having with the Onkyo HT-RC360?

Last edited by kokishin; 07-13-2014 at 11:21 PM.
post #109 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

The Onkyo HT-RC360 recently started making loud pops & crackles in the speakers and I'd get an error message on the display and lose all sound. Turning it off overnight usually fixed it for a while, I got worried about it trashing my speakers with the loud pops. It was a few years old though and a refurb when I bought it. The are a little less reliable than some brands I think, but they are cheap, have good features and seem to last until some new must-have technology comes out
post #110 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chick View Post
...I was also disappointed how little of the setup could be done via the web interface or the iPad app, especially all the stuff that requires typing like user names and passwords, input names etc.

Instead of the basic web interface, add /setup after the IP address and you get a pretty complete interface for setting things up.
Glenee likes this.
post #111 of 270 Old 07-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Instead of the basic web interface, add /setup after the IP address and you get a pretty complete interface for setting things up.
Thanks!, yes there are a lot of possibilities in there, and I see I can assign input names etc. Nothing for the Net apps unfortunately but its a useful resource
post #112 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
RX-V377, volume db starts at -80.

I do not hear any sound until about -45db. I normally leave the volume at above -20db.

Why is there no sound or very low sound below -45 db? Is there a fix? Or is my v377 not working correctly out box? Purchased the v377 yesterday from Bestbuy.

Thanks for any help

Prspan
post #113 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 07:28 AM

i'm not good with sound science but maybe because -80 dB is consider a low volume?
post #114 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prspan View Post
RX-V377, volume db starts at -80.

I do not hear any sound until about -45db. I normally leave the volume at above -20db.

Why is there no sound or very low sound below -45 db? Is there a fix? Or is my v377 not working correctly out box? Purchased the v377 yesterday from Bestbuy.

Thanks for any help

Prspan
Don´t worry, the volume scale is logarithmic.
post #115 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 PM

is it possible to go from component IN to hdmi OUT? I don't have extra hdmi cables and i want to connect my ps3 to the receiver via component cable. I assume not because it's going from analog to digital right?
post #116 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I've been considering the Yamaha RX-V777BT so your feedback on the V677 is interesting since they are similar.

I'm alo thinking about the Onkyo TX-NR636 but Onkyo's reliability worries me. What is the problem you're having with the Onkyo HT-RC360?

I just lost my rc360 a couple of weeks ago due to the same issues, crackling noises and then no audio. It had plenty of breathing room on all sides (back/font completely open, 4" on each side and the top had 6") so installation error is highly unlikely. Thankfully I have a 3yr square trade and the receiver was 2.5 yrs old. It was kind of odd squaretrade said how do I want the $ back in a few minute phone convo. I asked if they wanted to inspect or try to fix it first. They said no need, just send it to them and they would send an email with the shipping/return label. Less than 5m to handle that claim.

I was on the fence about another onkyo too. I keep reading about that brand and it seems to still have issues (even 2013 models) especially between 2-3 years of use. We use our receiver just about every day and if I had anther onkyo go out they would loose me as a customer for ever. At this point with me lucking out on the deal on the v777bt I will still look at onkyo as a future option in 6-7 years-ish.
post #117 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 PM

On another note I bought a open box denon x2000 at bb last week. It was very nice unit but I really didn't hear a difference between the rc360 and the x2000. They were both calibrated by audyssey with minor adj.
I'm happy to see that on most 13' and newer receivers they are loosing the analog inputs. I've been all hdmi since I sold the wii last year.
One thing I know is, I'll miss slacker radio. Denon/yamaha opened my eyes to research streaming music again and spotify is my new source for music.

I will update on the 777 after I get it.
post #118 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_BODY_1 View Post
I just lost my rc360 a couple of weeks ago due to the same issues, crackling noises and then no audio. It had plenty of breathing room on all sides (back/font completely open, 4" on each side and the top had 6") so installation error is highly unlikely. Thankfully I have a 3yr square trade and the receiver was 2.5 yrs old. It was kind of odd squaretrade said how do I want the $ back in a few minute phone convo. I asked if they wanted to inspect or try to fix it first. They said no need, just send it to them and they would send an email with the shipping/return label. Less than 5m to handle that claim.

I was on the fence about another onkyo too. I keep reading about that brand and it seems to still have issues (even 2013 models) especially between 2-3 years of use. We use our receiver just about every day and if I had anther onkyo go out they would loose me as a customer for ever. At this point with me lucking out on the deal on the v777bt I will still look at onkyo as a future option in 6-7 years-ish.
Thanks for your response. Square Trade offered to refund your purchase price for the RC360?

post #119 of 270 Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Square Trade offered to refund your purchase price for the RC360?
Yes they did, I took the amazon gift card with increases it by 3.5% over what I paid.
post #120 of 270 Old 07-14-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post
is it possible to go from component IN to hdmi OUT? I don't have extra hdmi cables and i want to connect my ps3 to the receiver via component cable. I assume not because it's going from analog to digital right?

Only the high-end models (RX-A10x0 and above) now convert component to HDMI (actually the lower models will convert 480i from component, but that's not very useful). So you need an HDMI cable from the PS3.
imeem and gymnos like this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - RX-V*77 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page