Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 439 Old 07-24-2014, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilaman2006 View Post
Just a guess, this might have something to do with HDMI control? That's the only way your receiver should even know anything about your TV/monitor. Try messing with those settings.

On my 777, the sound is independent of the screen being on/off... and I'm almost positive no receiver should depend on the screen being on to output sound. Must be a setting somewhere.
k i tried playing around with all the settings in hdmi control. Audio pauses and resume when i turn on or off my monitor (ps3). On the pc side, i found out why the audio cuts out all together when the screen is off. When i turn off my monitor, it disables/disconnects the sound card on my video card until the screen is on again. Tho i can get around this issue if i use optical cable.

Last edited by imeem; 07-24-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 439 Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I can do this on my 60pm6700 . there is a setting on the quick menu under energy conservation. Off/low/med/high (or similar) and the last is screen off. Very handy for listening to music on a plasma

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

LG 60PM6700 (2012)
Moto HD DVR + Suddenlink HD>>>Xbox One
PS3
Yamaha RX-677 w/ 5.1

Samsung LNT4665F (2008) - OTA Tuner - LG Blu Ray - Panasonic HD-DVD
post #153 of 439 Old 07-25-2014, 08:13 AM

got a replied from Yamaha.

Quote:
Hello,
The interruption of sound is normal at the moment when you shut down your TV. Shouldn't be more than a few seconds. It's the HDMI ''handshake'' with the TV which is cut off. So, when you turn the TV off, the HDMI protocol has to re-sync. Totally normal with all AV receivers, all brands. Unfortunately, nothing can be be done about this... it is simply HDMI handshake protocol which is like this.

Thanks!

Nico Boucher
post #154 of 439 Old 07-25-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 161
^ It's normal (but annoying) to have a brief sound dropout from an HDMI source when you turn off the TV, but there are ways to avoid it.

One way is not to play audio from HDMI sources. For example, if all your music is stored on a network server you can use the TV to browse the server and start something playing, then turn off the TV without affecting the audio.
post #155 of 439 Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I used a device between a TV and receiver which solved some HDMI issues, I believe by creating a buffer of sorts. It was not cheap, and I no longer connect it, but maybe there's still devices like that around.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #156 of 439 Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamos View Post
Hi all,

I just bought a RX-V377 to replace my dying Sony receiver of about 14 years. It's great, and a huge step up from what I had.

I am, however, having one problem that I hope you all can help me with.

I am running the receiver along with my media centre PC, and LCD TV. I have it hooked up as follows:

Media Centre (Geforce GTX760 graphics card) HDMI --> RX-V377 (AV1) HDMI / RX-V377 (HDMI Out) --> Panasonic LCD TV (AV1) HDMI

I can see that the RX-V377 is much more "intelligent" than my old receiver. It will detect when the TV turns off, and will turn itself off at the same time. That's a great feature, but when I turn the TV off for the night, the media centre inevitably goes into sleep mode. If someone turns the TV, and therefore the RX-V377, before the screensaver is kicked out then the receiver will not acknowledge any speakers. The small indicator on the front of the screen does not light up with my L C R SW icons, and I get no sound. To correct this I have to power cycle the receiver off and on again to get it to initialize the speakers.

Does anyone know where the glitch is here, and possibly how I could correct it?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
Is no one out there that can help with my issue?
post #157 of 439 Old 07-26-2014, 05:17 AM

^^ seems like it's your computer not the receiver's problem. Try disabling the screensaver on your computer.
post #158 of 439 Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalamos View Post
...I can see that the RX-V377 is much more "intelligent" than my old receiver. It will detect when the TV turns off, and will turn itself off at the same time. That's a great feature, but when I turn the TV off for the night, the media centre inevitably goes into sleep mode. If someone turns the TV, and therefore the RX-V377, before the screensaver is kicked out then the receiver will not acknowledge any speakers. The small indicator on the front of the screen does not light up with my L C R SW icons, and I get no sound.

It might seem like a good feature to have one device turn off another, but it often causes problems. If you disable HDMI control in the receiver and the TV you should have fewer issues.
post #159 of 439 Old 07-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
RX-V377 matching speakers

I currently have the Bose 301 IV connected to the v377.

I am looking into replacing the Bose speakers. What is a good match with the rx-v377?

Thanks for any info.
post #160 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
looking for some help, I made the mistake of dusting off my 677 while it was on, the unit switched off, I restarted it and dusted it off some more, guess what it shut off again? well after the third time it would only make the stand by lite flash a series of flashes, come to find out this has activated a protection circuit in the unit that according the users manual I will need to contact a service center to correct. Is there any way for me to reset the protection circuit?

Thanks,
post #161 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, i recently got my RX-V477. its been doing a pretty good job but there are two issues that are bothering me

1) whenever i power on my receiver i get a "Version Error" message, i have updated the receiver to the latest firmware available but still it shows the error message, any advice on how to get rid of it?

2) When playing movies the dialogue portion of the movie sounds very low i tried adjusting the treble but it still sounds very low and gets drowned in the background music sometimes unless i really crank up the volume. Any suggestions how could i fix this.

Thanks
post #162 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czaneil Johnson View Post
2) When playing movies the dialogue portion of the movie sounds very low i tried adjusting the treble but it still sounds very low and gets drowned in the background music sometimes unless i really crank up the volume. Any suggestions how could i fix this.

Don't adjust the treble, as that will affect more than just dialog. Instead try adjusting the center speaker level up a few dB (e.g. 2 or 3dB).

But remember that the background sounds (explosions etc.) are supposed to be much louder than the dialog. If you don't want that try enabling Adaptive DRC, and it should help stop the dialog being drowned out at lower volumes.
post #163 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
Don't adjust the treble, as that will affect more than just dialog. Instead try adjusting the center speaker level up a few dB (e.g. 2 or 3dB)
And just remember that this strategy won't work in program modes (7ch or 2 ch stereo for instance) where surround sound processing isn't occurring. I'd also try the voice lifting software if that model has it.
post #164 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

^ Unfortunately the 477 doesn't have the dialog level feature that's on the 677 and above.
post #165 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 04:35 PM

Anyone know how to setup the rx-v377 volume to be as loud as my older rx-v490?

At -34 db the v490 is as loud as the v377 at -16 db.

This is a huge difference. Unless this can be fixed, I will be returning the rx-v377.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
post #166 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prspan View Post
Anyone know how to setup the rx-v377 volume to be as loud as my older rx-v490?
At -34 db the v490 is as loud as the v377 at -16 db.
This is a huge difference. Unless this can be fixed, I will be returning the rx-v377.
Any ideas ?
Thanks
Same answer you got when you asked this question two weeks ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
Quote:
Then my v377 is functioning as normal. I am comparing the v377 to my older rx-v490. At the same db setting the v490 is louder.
Yamaha changed the way their volume control works about 10 years ago, so that the same "indicated gain|attenuation" on the two AVRs does not (even pretend to) mean the same loudness.
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #167 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundChex View Post
Same answer you got when you asked this question two weeks ago...

_

Ok. What would be a rx-v490 equivalent in today's market?
post #168 of 439 Old 07-27-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok. What would be a rx-v490 equivalent in today's market?

You'll probably find all recent models are calibrated roughly the same (and that includes other brands, not just Yamaha). Don't worry about the volume number. It's the 490 that was "wrong", in the sense that the volume number didn't correspond to any real standard. The new models are much closer to reading 0dB at reference level.
post #169 of 439 Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
RX-V677 loses picture on occation

Hi, I have the Yamaha RX-V677 receiver. I am using the HDMI pass through for all of my devices. I occasionally lose picture for about 3 seconds (and not audio) when watching something. I have had this happen 3 times so far, so it is pretty rare. I even exchanged the receiver once thinking the hardware was bad, but it has done it again since. I have had it happened with 2 different devices (WD TV Live Streaming box, and a Motorola Cable DVR,) tried all new HDMI cables, and it never happened before when I had these devices going directly into the TV from my old receiver. So I am positive it is the receiver. The funny thing is that it happened all 3 times on HDMI input 3 on both receivers, even when I swapped the devices around.

I'm not seeing any other mention of this when searching for this issue online.

I am going to contact Yamaha this afternoon, but my 30 day return policy ends tomorrow, so odds are I am going to return it and get a different brand if they don't have any solid ideas.

Any thoughts? Anyone else happened to have this same receiver? Thanks.

P.S. I forgot to mention that with the HDMI pass through, I am not having it up-convert, it is a direct pass through.
post #170 of 439 Old 07-28-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've got the same issue on my RX-V677. (I saw your post in the 677 forum and followed you here).

I'll sometimes lose video (not audio) for about three seconds. Most of the time it returns, sometimes it doesn't. This occurs on the HDMI5 input for me. The source is a small fanless HTPC I use for MKV playback. Suspecting the HTPC to be the problem, I moved it to another receiver (The 667's cousin - A800) and I have not seen the issue. I have since moved the HPTC back to the 667 and seen it occur again.

I suspect that this is a DDC signaling issue that is causing problems with HDCP (since HDCP, if I'm not mistaken, has a three-second watchdog timer set up where the transmitter and receiver have to have successful communications at least every three seconds).

I haven't tried changing cables yet, as you have, but that's my next move.

Make sure you check your HDMI cable's routing; make sure it's not running alongside some power cables or something else potentially noisy.

Post back if you fix it and I'll do the same.

Cary
post #171 of 439 Old 07-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post
no need to test. I have the receiver too. I'm just wondering if there is like a hidden setting or something. Because when the screen is off, no sound comes out of my bookshelf speaker.

EDIt: k on my ps3, the music stops and resume when i turn off my monitor. On pc, it just stops all together.
Mine works. I have a Mac Mini with a 19" Monitor for its main display via VGA and then the HDMI out to the 377 that is connected to my 50" Panasonic p50s60. I can have both monitors off and listen to iTunes through the 377.
post #172 of 439 Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
You'll probably find all recent models are calibrated roughly the same (and that includes other brands, not just Yamaha). Don't worry about the volume number. It's the 490 that was "wrong", in the sense that the volume number didn't correspond to any real standard. The new models are much closer to reading 0dB at reference level.
Now you've got me curious. Got some reading material on the topic of the changes, whenever that happened? Not sure what I'd google to look that up haha
post #173 of 439 Old 07-28-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by tequilaman2006 View Post
Now you've got me curious. Got some reading material on the topic of the changes, whenever that happened? Not sure what I'd google to look that up haha

From (at least) mid-2008 thru 2010(?) Yamaha USA's AV site contained a 10 to 15 line long "New Volume Control" (or somesuch name) FAQ which detailed a (then) relatively recent changeover in Yamaha's volume control philosophy-and-technology from "boost and cut" to pure attenuation with a slightly different resistance curve. The FAQ was discussed in several AVS Forum posts as it was relevant to the re purposing of a Yamaha AVR into a multichannel power amp (with respect to setting the ex-AVR's MVC level to "unity gain" . . . which on the 'newer' AVRs was likely equivalent to 'MAX').

If you can locate an internet archive of Yamaha USA's AV website for 2008 thru 2010 you should be able to find the FAQ.
_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #174 of 439 Old 07-29-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
I've got the same issue on my RX-V677. (I saw your post in the 677 forum and followed you here).

I'll sometimes lose video (not audio) for about three seconds. Most of the time it returns, sometimes it doesn't. This occurs on the HDMI5 input for me. The source is a small fanless HTPC I use for MKV playback. Suspecting the HTPC to be the problem, I moved it to another receiver (The 667's cousin - A800) and I have not seen the issue. I have since moved the HPTC back to the 667 and seen it occur again.

I suspect that this is a DDC signaling issue that is causing problems with HDCP (since HDCP, if I'm not mistaken, has a three-second watchdog timer set up where the transmitter and receiver have to have successful communications at least every three seconds).

I haven't tried changing cables yet, as you have, but that's my next move.

Make sure you check your HDMI cable's routing; make sure it's not running alongside some power cables or something else potentially noisy.

Post back if you fix it and I'll do the same.

Cary
So I tried moving my Motorola Cable box (Cox Cable) from HDMI 3 to HDMI 5, and tried some other known good HDMI cables, and it did it again tonight. About a 3 second loss of video, but not audio. Pretty frustrating. I plan to open a ticket with Yamaha to see what they say. Hopefully it is something that can be fixed via a firmware update.
post #175 of 439 Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
The RX-V777's are back on Sale at rakuten.com. You better be fast only 3 left.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #176 of 439 Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee View Post
The RX-V777's are back on Sale at rakuten.com. You better be fast only 3 left.
For new customers don't forget to use the "newbie" promo code... $30 off in addition to the sale! Just picked up mine.
Glenee likes this.
post #177 of 439 Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathe View Post
For new customers don't forget to use the "newbie" promo code... $30 off in addition to the sale! Just picked up mine.
We can all Thank Rathe for the quick eye on the Sale at Rakuten.
I'd like to Welcome you to the Forum also.
Your starting out with quite a Bang.
Rathe don't play he quit school cause of recess.

Nothing's Perfect So Stop Expecting It ! Glenee

post #178 of 439 Old 07-31-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathe View Post
And they have 10% back (store credit thing) with promo codes all the time. Right now it's "EXTRAREWARDS" (I get their emails). Just trying to save everyone some mulah.

Great buy, don't hesitate! Same sale I grabbed it at.
post #179 of 439 Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM

I guess I missed it again
post #180 of 439 Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 857
I see the 777 at rakuten.com for $799.99. What is the sale price everyone is excited about?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - RX-V*77 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page