onkyo 758 questions I can't seem to find answers to. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-28-2014, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I've got the manual, and I've tried to ingest it all, but frankly, many of the features they describe are things I don't quite understand.

I'm very happy with my receiver, but there are a couple of nuisance items I've tried to google, and just can't seem to get the search phrasing right.

1.  The "network" mode lets me listen to spotify (A+).  But....  it also disables my primary display (F).  I would like to have my primary display (computer desktop) hdmi video still go through, even if the sound is dropped.  There is a "passthrough" option, but that seems to be unrelated to what I'm trying to accomplish.   Is there a way to do it?   (if you are wondering, the spotify on my PC doesn't get full range, no matter what I tried to do, there's no low range bass.  According to the internets, it has something to do with a built in signal equalizer baked in to the spotify app.  Allegedly I can fix it by running xmbc or something....  I gave up on it.)

2.  Why does my hdmi1 input (PC) flash off, and back on, when I plug in my phone to the dock? (connected to hdmi port 5)  Are ports 1(bd/dvd) and 5(aux) linked somehow?
Other components don't seem to do this when powering off/on (ps4/xbox360/ps3).    Bonus question, why does my phone (galaxy note II) refuse to shut off the display when it's docked (samsung smart dock) and connected via hdmi?  (I have to push the button to force the screen off, it won't time out).

P.S.  as I've googled around, many places have stated that the onkyo 758 is really a 414.  They look similar, and they seem to share firmware, but the 758 has audyssey and all sorts of dolby this and dts that sorts of things that the 414 doesn't, and it's got 4k upconversion etc, so I just wanted to point that out in case anyone tries to help me, and gets tripped up by the 414 comparisons.

Thanks for reading at least, if you've made it this far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2014, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Maybe you might not know anything about my specific receiver, but at least for the first part, maybe someone can tell me if what I'm suggesting sounds like something that it *should* be able to do, or maybe you have had a lot of experience with onkyo in general, and it doesn't sound like any sort of feature you've seen/heard of before.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page