Connection Options - Directly into AVR or TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon AVR-1912. In the past I've always connected my Direct TV box and all other components, directly to my AVR and then out to HDMI1 on the TV.
I recently purchased a new Samsung model UNXXF8000BF Smart TV and connected same as before. Now the "Smart" TV is always telling me there is no HDMI connection and I have to go to Source Menu on the TV and manually select the source. And now I can't get my BluRay player to display on screen either, because it (TV) can't find a connection. I realize the TV is probably looking for a Source that is connected directly to it, but I haven't figured out how to get around it yet..
The Samsung CS Rep told me to run everything thru the TV and use the the ARC HDMI for audio. The only problem with that is, I am then not able to view any onscreen displays from the AVR. I would really prefer to keep everything going thru my AVR, if possible.
Also, I was wondering even if everything did work like it was suppose to (directly thru AVR), what would be the best way to get audio from TV to AVR if I am using one of TV apps, such as Netflix, YouTube, etc.?
If any of you have had the same experiences and know of a solution, I sure would like to hear from you.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-28-2014, 05:15 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
Some prefer just using an optical cable from the TV to the AVR rather than using HDMI(ARC) as it avoids any HDMI ARC issues (eg. AVR will always shift to the TV input when powered on). Try this and then set Anynet+ on the TV to OFF. Then power everything off and unplug for 10 minutes. Plug back in and power on the TV first, wait a few seconds, then the AVR, wait a few seconds, then the source device.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried your advice, but still having the same issues. Can't outsmart the Smart TV. LOL In the meantime, I've ordered the Harmony Ultimate Remote. Don't know if that will fix the problem or not, but at least I can use 1 remote now instead of 3.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 1912 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page