Harman Kardon HK 3490 Volume Dial Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else had the problem with the volume control on the HK 3490 skipping around randomly? The remote control adjusts volume fine, but using the dial on the unit causes volume to behave erratically and skip up and down.

I have been in contact with HK tech support to resolve the problem. They initially indicated that in many cases the "threads slip which causes volume malfunction" and that the fix is to replace the "volume knob." I was told that if I pull out the knob hard, it will easily come out and the new one can be inserted without removing the upper or front panels. This seemed odd...

Anyway, they sent me a replacement part, but what I received does not look anything like the volume control on the unit. In pulling up the HK3490 service manual, it appears the part they sent me is the "tuning knob" or "standby knob" which does not seem to have anything to do with the volume control. I was passed on from the tech support team to the parts team, who is now telling me that I should take the unit into an authorized service center. Whether it's a language barrier or terminology mix-up, it has been a frustrating and fruitless experience.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

dm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-28-2014, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bump
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors