Tannoy 5.1 Receiver Upgrade Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-28-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Guys my first post here, 

Im trying to get the best out of my current setup which I have been fine tuning and now running for a few months.

I have the Tannoy MX3 Speaker Set consisting of 

The Tannoy MX3 Floorstanders MxC Center Speaker Mx Surrounds and Mx-10 Sub (running two of these subs) Here is the spec sheet for the speakers:

www.hnny.nl/archief_tannoy/mercury_MX_series/manual_eng.pdf‎
  •  
  •  

Im running a 2014 model Yamaha RX-V375 AV Reciever purchased a few months ago.

my question is in order to get the best out of my speakers quality wise and performance wise would upgrading to the next model up RX-V475 make any difference ? I notice it has a extra 10W up front and reviews state its got a really good sound stage is this much more noticable than the entry 375 and will this help my tannoys ?

I listen to music alot at almost reference level and view alot of BluRay movies in DTSHD MA through XMBC.

Any opinions on the upgrade would be great guys.

Much appreciated.

Robbie.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 741
You'd be gaining only a single dB or less in spl with 10watts more power. I doubt it sounds much different than the 375 at all. Your speakers are recommended for use with amps with power between 10 and 90 watts per channel which you currently have, or nearly have. Keep in mind it takes a doubling of power to get 3 dB more spl. Do you think you're clipping your current amp at the spl levels you are listening at now?

post #3 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

I think so some bluray tracks example the conjuring with heavy bass will clip the front speakers at 0db volume level.

Ive set all speakers to small and crossover to sub at 80Hz bass is at 0 I thaught more power from a higher watt amp would solve this ?

post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Are you sure it's clipping and not a limitation of your speakers? It doesn't seem your speakers are recommended for much more power than you've got. Sometimes you need different speakers to play at higher spls....

post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I'd step up several models, I mean going from 300 to 400? Pointless. Perhaps move up to 730 or A830. If your Yamaha had pre-outs you could try a power amplifier. Those Tannoys are easy load 8 ohm, and ok efficiency except for the rears @ 86dB. yeah it's possible reaching limits of speaker output.

Still since you have the lowest modl Yamaha need to try a amp with more power.

10W extra isn't even worth considering, need to get double the power to make it worthwhile.

You listen to master level at 00dB? And speakers are calibrated to 75dB? I think expecting too much spl output, gonna damage speakers and you're going to go deaf.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

I'd step up several models, I mean going from 300 to 400? Pointless. Perhaps move up to 730 or A830. If your Yamaha had pre-outs you could try a power amplifier. Those Tannoys are easy load 8 ohm, and ok efficiency except for the rears @ 86dB. yeah it's possible reaching limits of speaker output.

Still since you have the lowest modl Yamaha need to try a amp with more power.

10W extra isn't even worth considering, need to get double the power to make it worthwhile.

You listen to master level at 00dB? And speakers are calibrated to 75dB? I think expecting too much spl output, gonna damage speakers and you're going to go deaf.

do u mind explaining what you mean by and how are the speakers calibrated at 75db ? 

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page