2-Zone receiver recommendation for existing speakers in new house - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2014, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just moved into a new house and it has Jamo speakers in the ceilings. It has 5.0 in the living room and stereo speakers in 6 other rooms. All the wiring comes into a media closet under the stairs. HDMI (I think via ethernet but not sure) goes from the media closet to the TV on the other side of the living room.

Sources are DirecTV Genie, current gen AppleTV and a Samsung BR player all using HDMI

I would like a 2 zone setup with the 6 stereo pairs in one zone and the 5.0 on the other. I would like to be able to use both zones together, so the surround and stereo speakers can play AppleTV output or Genie output in sync with no delay. If possible, it would also be great if the two zones could play from separate sources, but this is less important than them playing in sync, with no delay.

When we moved in, I tried to rig up a bunch of old single-zone equipment from my old living room and studio (I'm a TV editor), but I cannot get the two zones in sync, and the result is a crazy reverb throughout the house. It works great if I'm only using the surround or only the stereo speakers, but together it's a mess.

Anyway, I guess a 2-zone receiver is the answer to my problems. Any suggestions? I'm partial to Yamaha on the price/sound intersection, but their recent offerings are poorly reviewed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 1758
The Denon X2000 would be an excellent choice, although when adding more than just 2 speakers in Zone 2 as you would be, you'll want to also connect either another AVR or 2CH amp to power them with an impedance matching speaker selector between the amp and the Zone 2 speakers..

http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6

http://www.parts-express.com/wired-home-ss6-speaker-selector-impedance-matching-1-in-6-out--300-972

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 03-28-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply JD. I was looking at the Denons, but actually the X1000. The main differences seem to be:
  • 7 channels v 5 channels
  • 95W v 80W
  • Uprez v no uprez
  • bigger v smaller
  • Powered zone 2 v no powered zone 2

None of these are deal breakers for me and the X1000 is much less expensive. Is there anything else regarding the X1000 I am missing?

I should have mentioned the Frankenstein I currently have in there, which is all stuff I already had. The sources go via HDMI to the Yamaha RX-V471. The 5.0 ceiling speakers, as well as a Polk Audio wireless sub come directly out of the Yamaha receiver. The Yamaha also outputs to an old HDMI switch, that additionally splits off an analog stereo mixdown to RCA outputs. Picture goes to the plasma TV from the HDMI switch via HDMI. The analog stereo mixdown goes out the HDMI switch and into an Alesis RA-150 studio monitor and then to a speaker selector and then out to the 6 speaker pairs.

So I already have the stereo amp (I also have an old Onkyo stereo amp I might use) and speaker selector, so I don't think powering Zone 2 with the X2000 will make much of a difference.

Finally, what do you think about the Yamaha RX-V575 which seems to match the X1000's feature set pretty well at a lower price

Thanks again
Old 03-29-2014, 03:20 AM
585-645-1006

The 575 only has a 2 year warranty and cannot EQ the subwoofer, while the Denon "X" series have a 3 year warranty and can EQ the sub. Also as I mentioned, even with the X2000, you wouldn't want to power the Zone 2 speakers, rather better served using the existing stereo amp to power them from the Zone 2 pre-outs. The X2000 would allow analog--> HDMI video conversion as well as allow you to increase to 7.1 or use another set of speakers as dedicated music speakers. If you require neither of these features, the X1000 is likely the better purchase.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for helping me sort this out, JD!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

I got the avr-x1000 but I can't get sound out Zone2. Is it because all my sources are digital? I've tried all of the Zone2 source setting and I can't get anything out to the stereo amp.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 AM
585-645-1006

Correct. Only external analog sources and on board sources (eg. Tuner, Pandora, Internet radio, etc.) will pass to Zone 2 independently. You can use the "All Zone Stereo" setting to pass the same HDMI 2.0 audio playing in the main zone to Zone 2. You would have to upgrade to the X3000 to get independent digital audio (to include HDMI) to Zone 2.