Need to Update an Out of Date Receiver - Too Many Choices - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a Vizio 80" 3D TV, which was just installed yesterday, to a Sony BDPS790 3D Blu-ray player, Motorola CATV STB through Verizon, Onkyo 7.1 speakers, and a Marantz NR1501 Slim Line Home Theater Receiver. Therein lies the problem, the receiver, because it does not pass through the 3D signal, even though it's only three years old. The quick fix I employed was running an HDMI cable direct from the Blu-ray player output to the TV, and kept the optical cable in place, outputting it from the Blu-ray player to the receiver (and by the way, I had to use High Speed HDMI, because an older HDMI cable did not pass the 3D signal). Two problems with this. One, my A/V receiver should be handling all of my A/V component signaling, rather than me running a separation of the audio and video. Two, for reasons still unknown to me, we can't get any audio from the 3D Blu-ray movie to the 7.1 speakers. No sound, period. It will play sound on the TV, but as bad as the sound is from there, is not very loud. And by the way, we had one heck of a time getting the 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray player in sync and actually play a 3D movie in that format (the A/V, "Installer", didn't even run a test of playing a 3D movie--I was out of the house and the wife was the only one there). Looks awesome, but as I said no sound from the 7.1 speakers. I'm hoping that by employing a state-of-the-art A/V receiver, all of my problems will be addressed and corrected. That, and hopefully with a nod to future technologies around the corner.

With all that in mind, I'm looking for opinions on a really good, but not the be$t A/V receiver, primarily used for a great 3D DVD movie viewing experience. Playing music is not so much of a concern as we're using the system primarily for CATV and DVD movie viewing. If I do play CD's, MP3's, or something off of the Internet, great audio playback would be desired but it's not a deal breaker. I don't need multi-room capability. Plugging in a smartphone and playing content sounds cool, but I don't really need it. I would like to keep the price below the $650. What are your selections, and why are you suggesting it? Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
while its true that Onkyo has had some issues with their receivers. I am on my third one. I got the onkyo txnr626. its really nice. he video processor is same as the oppo with the marvel. its also sounds very nice. easy to hook up a bunch of stuff to the receiver that is what I am doing with my oppo 93, the roku, and ps3. I got it for around 450 or so.
I had the onkyo 605 and the ht rc270.
Jacob
post #3 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1973 Post(s)
Liked: 1747
The 1501 is actually a 5 year old model having been released in 2009 with HDMI 1.4/3D models released the next year in 2010. You may want to replace it with the current slim line 7.1 model ........ the SR1604.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 92
If your budget will allow, I would also consider upgrading your speakers. Onkyo makes some good receivers, but there are better speakers out there.
post #5 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I have the same blu-ray player, and I am also using separately its hdmi output and its optical digital output. In the BDP, on the audio output setup menu, I have the digital output set to "bitstream" (you might also try the other setting, "PCM"). I find that with some blu-ray discs I get no output from the optical port. I think it's because the BDP will not use the optical port for audio formats exceeding DD 5.x (like DD Master Audio). Maybe that's your problem.

I can't help with the question you asked, sorry. My AVR, Pioneer SC1522-K, works fine to pass 3D hdmi from the BDP on to the TV, playing the audio part itself, but it costs more than you want to pay.

Greg Lee
post #6 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 09:57 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Optical can only pass PCM 2.0 and DD/DTS 5.1/6.1/7.1. HDMI is required to pass the HD audio codecs on a Blu Ray or from Netflix .... DD+, Dolby True HD, DTS MA, DTS-MA HD.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #7 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 258
IMO the best receiver you can get for $600 is the NAD T748.

Its sound quality is excellent, and the features you need are there.

If you really want to upgrade your system, though, you need some better main front speakers.

Do you have the Onkyo 540 speakers?

I suggest that you consider a pair of the Polk TSX330T speakers which are around $500 per pair, or Cambridge Audio S70, which are $400 per pair.
virginia bill likes this.
post #8 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

while its true that Onkyo has had some issues with their receivers. I am on my third one. I got the onkyo txnr626. its really nice. he video processor is same as the oppo with the marvel. its also sounds very nice. easy to hook up a bunch of stuff to the receiver that is what I am doing with my oppo 93, the roku, and ps3. I got it for around 450 or so.
I had the onkyo 605 and the ht rc270.
Jacob

I see that the Onkyo has some good reviews and I like its features. On the Onkyo site, though, I see that a newer, comparable model is coming out soon, the TX-NR636, which retails for $599. Should I wait the three to six weeks that Amazon estimates it will take to ship and get that instead?

post #9 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
A Yamaha any day over an Onkyo. As a matter of fact anything over an Onkyo at this time.

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HTR-7065-channel-receiver/dp/B00AZE78KQ
post #10 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
If you can save money in getting a 1 year old model, I'd do that.

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #11 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The 1501 is actually a 5 year old model having been released in 2009 with HDMI 1.4/3D models released the next year in 2010. You may want to replace it with the current slim line 7.1 model ........ the SR1604.

I actually purchased  the 1501 in 2011, so obviously it was already two years on the market.

post #12 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom View Post

If you can save money in getting a 1 year old model, I'd do that.

Which brand and model are you referring to?

post #13 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

A Yamaha any day over an Onkyo. As a matter of fact anything over an Onkyo at this time.

Thanks for your feedback. Can you qualify that assertion please?

post #14 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Almond View Post

Quote:

He most likely means that Onkyo has had too many problems with reliability in recent years (just search for threads on this, and you will see that many, many people have had problems with Onkyo receivers), and Yamaha seems to be as reliable as you can get. I personally would go with a Yamaha for this reason.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #15 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

At this time and for several years back Onkyo has a HDMI board problem( higher than normal) that they won't admit to. They do offer a "free replacement" when it does fail, however you have to return and be without an AVR for a while. Why buy something that unreliable? Now you may get lucky and also get one that will not have a problem right away or it could go out at any time without warning. Not worth the gamble when there are the other brands that don't have these high failure rates. Yamaha is known as the most sold,reliable brand in the market. As I stated ANY brand at this time is better than an Onkyo. Yep they give you a lot for the dollar but what's that matter if it doesn't work. The AVR I suggested is the same as Yamaha's RX-V773.
Jack D Ripper likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153

I don't know, I've had 2 Onkyos for over 5 years with no issues.

Anyway, in a thread like this you are going to get recommendations for most brands out there, and it's hard to winnow down the wildly differing suggestions.  But before you even get to that, to get more helpful suggestions, the OP needs to give more information.  What is the size of the room?  What volume level expectation do you have?  What specific model are the speakers?  They might be a weak link for any new AVR.  If all you want is 3D passthrough, just about any mid level AVR can do that, but there are many more eye popping features that you seem unaware of which would transform your system into something great.  If you are willing to lay out the cash for 80 inches, you might also want to look at upgrading the speakers.  Some of the Onkyo speakers are flat out crap.

post #17 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses so far, everybody. This is a very responsive group of members, and I appreciate that. I will gather the more detailed information that audio4life recommended I submit and post later.

post #18 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM

I also recently went through this decision-making process about a month or two ago and considered all the different brands from the beginning. After much research and hours and hours of reading through forms and reviews I narrowed out Onkyo as well. There seems to be way too many problems with that particular brand so I didn't even want to deal with it. Then I did more research and I decided to go with two brands, either Yamaha or Denon. I actually bought both brand receivers. I bought the Yamaha V575 & V675, and the Denon e400. After playing with both receivers and listening to both receivers on how they sound, I eventually kept the Yamaha V675. The Denon had issues with the HDMI handshake and that is one of the main reasons why I did not decide to keep it.

I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone.
post #19 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

You compared the E400 to the Yamaha V675 which retails for almost twice the price of the Denon.  A Denon product more in line price wise would have been the X2000.  Glad you found something you are happy with though.

post #20 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 04:34 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Actually, the original MSRP on the E400 and the V675 is the same for both models. smile.gif

post #21 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

The street price for the E400 is much less than that.  Funny, Denon USA has the E400 listing for 599 and the X2000 for 650.  Not sure why the E400's street price has dropped so much compared to the X2000, but there you are.

post #22 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital517 View Post

I also recently went through this decision-making process about a month or two ago and considered all the different brands from the beginning. After much research and hours and hours of reading through forms and reviews I narrowed out Onkyo as well. There seems to be way too many problems with that particular brand so I didn't even want to deal with it. Then I did more research and I decided to go with two brands, either Yamaha or Denon. I actually bought both brand receivers. I bought the Yamaha V575 & V675, and the Denon e400. After playing with both receivers and listening to both receivers on how they sound, I eventually kept the Yamaha V675. The Denon had issues with the HDMI handshake and that is one of the main reasons why I did not decide to keep it.

I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone.

Interesting read, and I appreciate your feedback. Tell me something, though. When I looked up the Yamaha V675, which was $599 on Amazon, it said there was a newer model of the same type/class, the Yamaha RX-V677, for $599 as well. Just reviewing the write-up, it appears there are a few enhancements on the V677 over the V675. Would it be worth it to get the newer model?

post #23 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting read, and I appreciate your feedback. Tell me something, though. When I looked up the Yamaha V675, which was $599 on Amazon, it said there was a newer model of the same type/class, the Yamaha RX-V677, for $599 as well. Just reviewing the write-up, it appears there are a few enhancements on the V677 over the V675. Would it be worth it to get the newer model?

Some reading for you on the new Yamaha's just announced. If you want HDMI 2.0 then yes the price difference is worth it.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-v-77-a-v-receiver
post #24 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Some reading for you on the new Yamaha's just announced. If you want HDMI 2.0 then yes the price difference is worth it.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/yamaha-rx-v-77-a-v-receiver

My family and watched 3D Blu-ray movies for the first time last night via the Vizio 80" 3D TV and Sony BDP-S760 Blu-ray player, and we love it! Too bad we don't have the sound to match it. I'm leaning towards the RX-V677. Now I have the predicament of replacing my old Onkyo 7.1 speakers, ugh...

post #25 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My family and watched 3D Blu-ray movies for the first time last night via the Vizio 80" 3D TV and Sony BDP-S760 Blu-ray player, and we love it! Too bad we don't have the sound to match it. I'm leaning towards the RX-V677. Now I have the predicament of replacing my old Onkyo 7.1 speakers, ugh...

Depending on budget for speakers the Andrew Jones speaker set from Pioneer seems to get very good reviews for those on a budget.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-PK52FS

Reviews below. Good luck and enjoy your setup. Sorry to see you get started up in this crazy and expensive hobby.

http://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/pioneer-sp-pk52fs

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-loudspeaker/
post #26 of 38 Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

I concur about the Andrew Jones speakers, they made critics jaws drop when they came out.  They have no business sounding as good as they do for the price.  Yamaha, Denon, Marantz, etc, they all make good options for an AVR.  Find the best deal you can.

post #27 of 38 Old 03-31-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Actually, the original MSRP on the E400 and the V675 is the same for both models. smile.gif

Exactly.
post #28 of 38 Old 03-31-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

It is almost always better to get the new model receiver if the price is the same as the old one. This is because there are almost always new features added. The main reason to get the old one is if they have closeout deals. Then it is often a good idea to get the old one and save money, or go for a higher model old one for about the same price. Occasionally, a desired feature or quality may be dropped, and on those occasions, the old one may be the one to get regardless of whether there is a price savings or not, but most of the time this is not the case.

As for HDMI 2.0, there are likely many people who will never benefit from this (though obviously, if you can get it for the same price, you should). The "old" HDMI version 1.4 does everything that most people presently need, or are ever likely to need. You can compare here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_comparison

As for 4k, the old HDMI 1.4 will pass up to 30 fps, which is higher than the standard frame rate for movies. And most people, judging from what people say online, sit too far from their TVs to see all the resolution of their 1080p sets, so 4k will be completely useless to them anyway, unless they get a significantly bigger screen. See calculator here:

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/HDTV_Viewing_Distance_Calculator_Guide_page1.html

If you have 20/20 vision and sit only 8 feet from your TV, you need a TV that is between 61-62" to be able to see all the resolution of 1080p. Which means that if one has a smaller TV, one is not seeing all of the resolution of 1080p, and so a higher resolution would be completely useless (again, assuming 20/20 vision).

If you sit 10' from your TV, the screen size would need to be between 76-77" to see all of the detail of 1080p, if one has 20/20 vision. Relatively few people pick a TV big enough to use all of the resolution of 1080p, so for most people, it would be silly to buy a 4k TV.

Here is another page with a chart and a simplified calculator:

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

I expect many people will buy 4k TVs because they can clearly see the difference standing 3 feet away in the store, and then they will put them so far away from their seating position in their homes that they will get no benefit over what a 1080p TV would give them. And that means that they are effectively throwing away their money for nothing.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #29 of 38 Old 04-03-2014, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to go with the newer Yamaha receiver, the  RX-V677. Right now Amazon shows it will ship in three to four weeks, depending upon when Yamaha releases it for sale. Still undecided on the speakers, but I will be looking into the Andrew Jones line of Pioneer speakers. I also like what I've read of Polk speakers, and like the look of the ones that come in cherry wood finish.

post #30 of 38 Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just found out from Amazon that the Yamaha RX-V677 would not be shipping this month, as previously indicated when I placed the order. The new estimated shipping date is between June 4 and August 1--quite a window. Anyway, now I need to decide if I want to keep waiting around for this model, or go with another. I looked at the RX-V775WA, and liked what I read of the specs and reviews. I can get one from Amazon for $538 (the RX-V677 is $599, WHEN it ships). Is it really worth it to wait around a few more months and pay a little bit more for the RX-V677, or would the RX-V775WA suffice?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page