Yamaha RXA Pre Pro trigger question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone.

I just purchased an Anthem MRX 710 to replace my Yamaha RXA 2000, but my intention is to use the Yamaha to power the rear and center channel. Is this possible to use with the Anthem?

I know the Yamaha and the Anthem have trigger outs, but there is no trigger in. Is there some way to do this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Panamax makes a power strip with a 12 trigger input. but honestly a universal remote seem like an overall better solution.
PannTher likes this.
post #3 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have a logitech remote.

How would I have the two work together though?

What connection out from the Anthem would I put in on the Yamaha?

Thanks a lot. smile.gif
post #4 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 05:30 PM

The Anthem pre-out to the multi-chanel input on the Yamaha
PannTher likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much.

Would you recommend that I run the center and rears with the Yamaha or just the rears and leave the front 3 channels to the Anthem?

Thanks
post #6 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 08:02 PM

I would keep the front 3 speakers on the same amp. Whichever one you think is better.
PannTher likes this.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again.

I'm failing to do this however haha.

I've looked over both manuals quite thoroughly.

I hook the rear right and left pre outs to the multi channel yamaha right and left surround inputs.

Yet, there is no sound coming out of the rear speakers.

What do I have to turn on/off, select etc?

Thanks again very much!
post #8 of 32 Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I have sound.

You recommend a universal remote so that both receivers can have their volume controlled independently?

There is no way to have the Anthem control the volume on the Yamaha I presume?

I guess I would set the volume on the Yamaha to a certain level for the rears and run ARC on the Anthem. Using the universal remote, both receivers would adjust volume at the same time?

Thanks again.
post #9 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

It seems to work Ok, but I really can't figure out how to have both units have their volume controlled at the same time.

Anyone know how to do this? Or can I not use the Yamaha anymore. :-(

Thanks
post #10 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

There must be an expert at this that can help? I've searched everywhere. Can't figure it out frown.gif
post #11 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Why do you want to do this? That Anthem has more than enough power to drive speakers. Sell the Yamaha and be done with it.
post #12 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Or just keep the Yamaha and return the Anthem? The Yamaha has a better feature set. Is the Anthem really that much better?
post #13 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannTher View Post

Or just keep the Yamaha and return the Anthem? The Yamaha has a better feature set. Is the Anthem really that much better?

Keep the one that has the features you will use and either sell or return the other. You will not gain anything with what you are trying to do by connecting the two of them together. Run each EQ program and go with the one you like the most and has the connectivity you need. If it were me I would keep the Anthem due to its ARC program. It's a good one. Hope this helps in some way. Also why can't you connect the Anthem to your network?
PannTher likes this.
post #14 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much. I already own the Yamaha. I find the Anthem sounds better, but prefer the features on the Yammy.

I guess I'll get an amp at some point instead. No point in spending so much for solely the ARC I guess.

My network connects to the Anthem, but I can't use my apps to control it like I can udnp with the Yammy...

Thanks
post #15 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

There you go. What speakers are you using? Do you feel that the rear speakers are not giving you the sound you want from them? If so just set that A2000 up with a Rat Shack meter and see if that does any better than YPAO.
PannTher likes this.
post #16 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll be using B&W CM9s with a CMC2 center and CM1 rears.

If I sell the Yamaha, the Anthem won't be too much extra. I wonder if the difference is worth ARC?

I am happy with the Yamaha however.
post #17 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I'll be using B&W CM9s with a CMC2 center and CM1 rears.

If I sell the Yamaha, the Anthem won't be too much extra. I wonder if the difference is worth ARC?

I am happy with the Yamaha however.

Sub(s)? If none is your answer then the best thing IMO is to get one or two good ones. SVS makes very good subs and will let you try them out for 45 days.
PannTher likes this.
post #18 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Sub(s)? If none is your answer then the best thing IMO is to get one or two good ones. SVS makes very good subs and will let you try them out for 45 days.

I have two custom subs from Funk Audio, so am good there.

More interested in the sound between an Anthem and a Yamaha. Such conflicting reports and I don't know what my ears are telling me haha.

Thanks
post #19 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Well then if the Yamaha has the features you want then keep the A2000. That AVR is tweakable. When I was using my A3000 I preferred the Natural setting and went from there. Also realize that the Yamaha's only calibrate the subs down to 31hz, so some tweaking there can also help.
PannTher likes this.
post #20 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 PM

If you want to use the Yamaha as an amp set a volume level the corresponds to the same volume as the anthem played very loud. Then set that volume as the initial volume on the Yamaha so it always turns on to that volume. It wont always play that loud because the volume would actually be adjusted by the feed from the Anthem. You don't need to use two volume controls.

However, I agree that I would just use one receiver or the other. I would prefer the anthem as well. I had an anthem 700 and now a 710. I also owned various Yamaha receivers like the 3020 and 820 before that. I prefer the sound of the anthem. I use a universal remote so I don't care about being able to control it with an app. The Yamaha does have more features. Whichever one suits your needs keep in your system. Both companies make good receivers.
PannTher likes this.
post #21 of 32 Old 03-31-2014, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

If you want to use the Yamaha as an amp set a volume level the corresponds to the same volume as the anthem played very loud. Then set that volume as the initial volume on the Yamaha so it always turns on to that volume. It wont always play that loud because the volume would actually be adjusted by the feed from the Anthem. You don't need to use two volume controls.

However, I agree that I would just use one receiver or the other. I would prefer the anthem as well. I had an anthem 700 and now a 710. I also owned various Yamaha receivers like the 3020 and 820 before that. I prefer the sound of the anthem. I use a universal remote so I don't care about being able to control it with an app. The Yamaha does have more features. Whichever one suits your needs keep in your system. Both companies make good receivers.

Thanks very much!

I have spent the last 3-4 hours trying the amps. My fingers are numb from installing the speaker wire! However, my wife really likes the Anthem's sound better. She describes as the piano being more crisp and Norah Jones and Diana Krall's voice clearer. I agree with her and find that there is more headroom with the Anthem. I don't think the Anthem has more power than the Yamaha, so can't quite describe why. I hope it's not placebo effect because I would prefer to keep the Yamaha and return the Anthem. We definitely hear a difference however.

Thanks very much for the help. I'll try to sell the Yamaha now.

Thanks again
post #22 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks very much!

I have spent the last 3-4 hours trying the amps. My fingers are numb from installing the speaker wire! However, my wife really likes the Anthem's sound better. She describes as the piano being more crisp and Norah Jones and Diana Krall's voice clearer. I agree with her and find that there is more headroom with the Anthem. I don't think the Anthem has more power than the Yamaha, so can't quite describe why. I hope it's not placebo effect because I would prefer to keep the Yamaha and return the Anthem. We definitely hear a difference however.

Thanks very much for the help. I'll try to sell the Yamaha now.

Thanks again

The Anthem does have more power although not a whole lot. With 5 channels driven it delivers 90 watts/channel. The A2000 70 watts/channel. Not enough really to tell a difference. below is test report for the A2000.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2000-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

And the Anthem also tested and reviewed.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/receivers/receivers-reviews/anthem-mrx-710-a-v-receiver.html
PannTher likes this.
post #23 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Anthem does have more power although not a whole lot. With 5 channels driven it delivers 90 watts/channel. The A2000 70 watts/channel. Not enough really to tell a difference. below is test report for the A2000.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2000-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/receivers/receivers-reviews/anthem-mrx-710-a-v-receiver.html

That is very interesting. Thanks for that.

It will cost be around $800 to upgrade to the Anthem. I notice a sound difference, but not enough to justify that expense I think?

Thanks again
post #24 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just reviewed that information again. Thanks for providing it. Is it possible that the clarity difference I'm noticing is a result of the circuitry within the receiver? Or would it make sense to just keep my Yamaha and add an emotiva or rotel external amp? This way I wouldn't lose money on the Yamaha I purchased a couple of years ago. If the circuitry provides better sound that's a different story then.

Thanks again very much
post #25 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

My feeling would be the difference in the EQ programs. I do feel that the A2000 will be around a long time for you. Second to none in reliability IMO. I've used Yamaha's for many years and never had one fail. I think the upgrade bug will bite you and you will still be using that A2000 somewhere else in your home. Also as far as the want for an amp for the rear speakers I think you will get an amp just to prove to yourself that you may make your system sound better. In that case my feelings are you would be better served by getting an amp to power the front three speakers. Not enough info really in the rear speakers to warrant additional power. However if you feel you still want more power try out an Emotiva XPA5 for all your speakers. Not a huge investment but you have the amp bug and you will not be satisfied until that itch is scratched. Don't notice enough of a difference send it back. Only out shipping back.
PannTher likes this.
post #26 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the information. I agree Yamaha amps are very reliable.

So, you're saying the there should be no difference in the two amps for sound? Maybe a little power difference?

By adding power, the Yamaha should sound the same as the Anthem? That clarity might be because the Anthem has a little more juice to drive?

I'm in Canada, so can't get an emotiva shipped.

Thanks very much
post #27 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks very much for the information. I agree Yamaha amps are very reliable.

So, you're saying the there should be no difference in the two amps for sound? Maybe a little power difference?

By adding power, the Yamaha should sound the same as the Anthem? That clarity might be because the Anthem has a little more juice to drive?

I'm in Canada, so can't get an emotiva shipped.

Thanks very much

No I'm saying the difference is possibly in their Eq methods. If you put both of these in pure direct they will sound the same. Take them out of that and then their EQ takes over. The power difference between these is too close to make a difference.
post #28 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help. It really guided me to a good decision. I'll return the Anthem and get a power amp to drive the 3 front speakers some day.
post #29 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for your help. It really guided me to a good decision. I'll return the Anthem and get a power amp to drive the 3 front speakers some day.

You're welcome. Maybe you can think about something like the item below in order to get that A2000 to calibrate like you want. Never used one but will stop from purchasing any AVR due to its EQ program. There are other methods as described in the review.

http://www.audioholics.com/acoustic-reviews/xtz-room-analyzer-ii-pro-speaker-measurement-kit
post #30 of 32 Old 04-01-2014, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link. For the price of that system, it would almost make sense to buy the Anthem for the ARC system haha.

I bought a mic to use to setup my subs. The amp on the subs connects to the PC to calibrate. I wonder if I could tweak that somehow.

Thanks again!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page