Do I need to upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. Have a question for you guys. Here is a break down of what I have.
Pana 60 inch 3D plasma- ( the 3D I could have done without,gives me a headache after about 30 min)
Infinity IL-60s (got new 12 years ago and still sound great)
Center and the rears are also infinity( these are about 4 years old)
Pana blue ray (BDT 210 )
Direct TV
Onkyo TX NR609
The AVR is a little bit over 2 years old. First noticed this problem 6 months in. It would drop audio about 5 min into watching TV and then it would come back. This would happen a few times in about a 30 min period. Swapped cables from the direct TV box but it never stopped. I just lived with it. It seemed to stop after things warmed up. It now has not done it for a very long time, guess it fixed itself . Now my blueray will drop audio and the picture several times in the first 30 min, then all works well after things warmup. Doing some research I see other people have had this same issue. All points to the HDMI board. Do I just live with this for how ever long my amp lasts ,buy a new HDMI board, if I can get one or buy a new AVR ? Is a firmware update needed? Any suggestions? Is it my bluray player ? Or just deal with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess nobody knows or has seen this happen before?.

I have never done a firmware update. Will try one via USB today

post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 AM

Liked: 15
I have an onkyo 606, and been/was dealing with similar issue for the last year. Had to let the receiver warm up prior to switching to an hdmi input (ps3 or ps4). My android xbmc box had no issue with video, but audio would drop here and there throughout time of viewing.

You could attempt to replace caps, and see if that fix works. I plan on doing this on the 606 for use in another room. Or you could go the upgrade route, all depends on your choice...

Highly doubt any firmware update will fix this...

PSN= Jamweiser
post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about those caps. Where can I get them ? Should be an easy repair

Anyone know?

post #5 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I would replace the receiver. Many other people report problems with Onkyo receivers (just do a bit of online searching, both at this site and at others), so I would absolutely never buy an Onkyo receiver these days. I would buy a Yamaha, which, judging from the same types of sources, is as reliable as you can get. Also, one of my brothers repairs electronics for a living, and he tells me about some of the things that come in for repairs. Sometimes at length, as there are some things that are very poorly designed. He has warned me not to buy certain products. He has never warned me not to buy a Yamaha.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by excimer512 View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I thought about those caps. Where can I get them ? Should be an easy repair
Anyone know?

If you go route of replacing caps, i bought some caps to replace the ones in a vizio plasma tv a few yrs ago from here http://www.digikey.com/

PSN= Jamweiser
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page