Passthrough audio/video while receiver powered off? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of a line of home audio receivers on the market that support changing the source/input while the receiver is powered off or otherwise in some type of standby mode (not fully powered on).

I have four a/v devices now running through my receiver with one hdmi cable output going back to my tv. I don't always want the receiver powered on, and this setup now works great for watching tv which is what I do 90% of the time. But the other 10% I'd like to watch a different source/input while still having the audio go through the tv.... so I don't want the receiver powered on.

I'm looking for anything in the <$500 range. Any ideas? Sorry I've searched google and the forums here but didn't come up with anything. Also, if changing the source while the receiver is powered off would mean having to push a physical button on the front of the receiver that is fine. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Some Pioneer Receiver's with "Standby Through" will allow this.

Here is the excerpt from the manual of my SC-1522k that describes this. Other models with Standby Through should be similar, but you should verify to be safe.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 10:16 AM

Liked: 16
Yamaha RX-475 (and up, I assume) have an HDMI-Through mode, but AFAIK, it will only pass the "current" HDMI selection through to the TV in standby. You can't change inputs unless you power-on the receiver, change the input, then go back to standby.

(in addition, The non-HDMI inputs/outputs are not active in Standby mode.)

HDMI passthrough is not enabled by default, but it is an easy setup option to change.

-Tony
post #4 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 200
A lot of modern AVRs have HDMI pass-through. Each brand has its own implementation. I know my Pioneer SC-1522 let you use the AVR remote to switch HDMI inputs without power up the AVR.
shandalus likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

A lot of modern AVRs have HDMI pass-through. Each brand has its own implementation. I know my Pioneer SC-1522 let you use the AVR remote to switch HDMI inputs without power up the AVR.

Thanks everyone for replying. This actually didn't occur to me to try and switch inputs with the remote while the receiver was powered off. I tried it, Pioneer VSX-822, and it worked! I feel a little dumb now... but am just happy it works. Thanks again
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by shandalus View Post

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows of a line of home audio receivers on the market that support changing the source/input while the receiver is powered off or otherwise in some type of standby mode (not fully powered on).

I have four a/v devices now running through my receiver with one hdmi cable output going back to my tv. I don't always want the receiver powered on, and this setup now works great for watching tv which is what I do 90% of the time. But the other 10% I'd like to watch a different source/input while still having the audio go through the tv.... so I don't want the receiver powered on.

I'm looking for anything in the <$500 range. Any ideas? Sorry I've searched google and the forums here but didn't come up with anything. Also, if changing the source while the receiver is powered off would mean having to push a physical button on the front of the receiver that is fine. Thanks.

The Aventage line of Yamaha receivers do exactly as you want but you do have to make a change in the setup. "Standbye Through" must be set to ON. I have 2 RX-A3010 and a CX-A5000 that works this way without issue. It is nice to be able to watch something, play a game, or fire up the HTPC and browse the net without having to turn the system on. The only thing to remember is you still have to change the appropriate HDMI input on the Yamaha for whatever you wish to watch. This was the deciding factor between the CX-A5000 that I bought and the Marantz 8801 I was also looking at purchasing.

BTW the setting is on page 114 of the CX-A5000 manual for reference.

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)
Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround
2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page