Harman Kardon AVR 370 Woes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all.

I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 370 here in the UK (AVR 3700 in USA).  I received the unit in early March '14 and eagerly disconnected my old amp and plugged in the new one.. First issue was that it wouldn't turn on.. The orange 'Standby' light was lit, but there was no response from the remote or the physical buttons on the amp..

I powered it off at the mains and powered back on again and it worked.. I set it all up, using the setup mic and configured my inputs and all was well.  When I went to bed, I switched it off and it went into Sleep mode.  When I woke up the next day, it was no longer in Sleep mode, but had gone back to Standby.  It wouldn't power up until I did a power cycle on the mains power again.

The unit had a manufacture date of June '13 and it didn't come with a UK kettle lead, just an EU plug, so I had used one of my own. That evening, I tried to install the latest firmware, which froze about 99% of the way through the OSD update.  I left it for at least an hour and then did a power cycle to try again.  Second time I tried the update, it got further in the process, but froze again and bricked the unit.

I sent it back and received a new one last night.  A couple of interesting things that I noticed unboxing this one over the last one that I received.. The manufacture date was Feb '14, so it was a newer unit.  There was a UK power lead in the box this time and the setup microphone was completely different to last time.. I figured that perhaps I had been sent a refurb the first time around and got on to setting it up.

I had a few issues turning it on for the first time and had to power cycle it to get it to come to life.  Once it was up and running, I got it configured and all was well.  When I turned it off, it would go into Sleep mode and would wake up when I turned the TV back on or turned it on directly.  Last night I went to bed and left it in Sleep mode while I did the same..  I woke up this morning and was unable to power on the unit again.  Again it had gone from Sleep mode to Standby (presumably does this after a few hours to save power), but I couldn't get it working until I power cycled again!

I am tempted to try a firmware update again, but am scared of bricking it again.  I spoke to Product Support at Harman and spoke to some woman in what sounded like eastern europe who didn't have much of a clue.  I will probably have to send this one back too, but wondered if anyone else is having issues with their amp? Could I be doing something wrong?

Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread Today, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy84 View Post
<p>Hi all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I recently purchased a Harman Kardon AVR 370 here in the UK (AVR 3700 in USA).  I received the unit in early March '14 and eagerly disconnected my old amp and plugged in the new one.. First issue was that it wouldn't turn on.. The orange 'Standby' light was lit, but there was no response from the remote or the physical buttons on the amp..</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I powered it off at the mains and powered back on again and it worked.. I set it all up, using the setup mic and configured my inputs and all was well.  When I went to bed, I switched it off and it went into Sleep mode.  When I woke up the next day, it was no longer in Sleep mode, but had gone back to Standby.  It wouldn't power up until I did a power cycle on the mains power again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The unit had a manufacture date of June '13 and it didn't come with a UK kettle lead, just an EU plug, so I had used one of my own. That evening, I tried to install the latest firmware, which froze about 99% of the way through the OSD update.  I left it for at least an hour and then did a power cycle to try again.  Second time I tried the update, it got further in the process, but froze again and bricked the unit.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I sent it back and received a new one last night.  A couple of interesting things that I noticed unboxing this one over the last one that I received.. The manufacture date was Feb '14, so it was a newer unit.  There was a UK power lead in the box this time and the setup microphone was completely different to last time.. I figured that perhaps I had been sent a refurb the first time around and got on to setting it up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I had a few issues turning it on for the first time and had to power cycle it to get it to come to life.  Once it was up and running, I got it configured and all was well.  When I turned it off, it would go into Sleep mode and would wake up when I turned the TV back on or turned it on directly.  Last night I went to bed and left it in Sleep mode while I did the same..  I woke up this morning and was unable to power on the unit again.  Again it had gone from Sleep mode to Standby (presumably does this after a few hours to save power), but I couldn't get it working until I power cycled again!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am tempted to try a firmware update again, but am scared of bricking it again.  I spoke to Product Support at Harman and spoke to some woman in what sounded like eastern europe who didn't have much of a clue.  I will probably have to send this one back too, but wondered if anyone else is having issues with their amp? Could I be doing something wrong?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any help is appreciated!</p>
Hi,

I can't believe I read someone havine the same issue with AVR-370 !
I never tried any firmware update but have the same issue with the standby stuck...

Did you find a solution ?
post #3 of 3 Unread Today, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I had this happen, and I had the latest software installed. Finally it wouldn't power up at all. No matter what I tried, just the amber light, no functions from remote or push buttons. I moved on to a different AVR brand.

Read up on this thread for options and/or similar problems: 2013 4K Harman Kardon AVR 2700 & 3700 receivers

Denon 2113ci
Klipsch RF-7's II
Klipsch RC-64 II
Klipsch RB-51 II
Klipsch RS-42 II
Klipsch R-112SW (x2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page