Need a new receiver, suggestions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an Onkyo TX-NR607 that has been great. I purchased it about 3 years ago, refurbished, from A4L.com and have had zero problems with it.

I just upgraded speakers to pair of the HTD Series 3 towers & Series 3 center along with two Klipsch RW-12d subwoofers - no surround or rear speakers (no way to easily run wires).

Well, I am looking at upgrading now, have been happy with this refurb so figured why not save some cash and do the same again?

I would like to keep the cost to around $400 (ish).

In this range, refurbished, I am looking at the following models:

Denon X2000 $430
Marantz SR5005 $430
Yamaha RX-A730 $400
Yamaha RX-V675 $380 (mostly cosmetic difference from A730?)
Onkyo TX-NR626 $350

First, both the first two models on this list are 7.1 receivers - can I split the subwoofer output between the two subs? If not, this rules these out immediately.

Second, how do the different brands sound? The Onkyo is the only "real" receiver I have ever used, I really like the sound quality, would not want to go backwards in this regard for sure!

After that, any comments about these models, along with reasoning, would be highly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 503
0. Authorized Denon and Marantz dealers are allowed only to publish the MSRP. If you call them on the phone, though, they can quote a much lower price, often only slightly above what A4L charges for refurbs. New units have a substantially longer warranty than refurbs.

Although the prices you mention are similar, the feature sets in the various receivers are different. Be sure to compare their features to make sure they have what you want.

1. The subwoofer out of any receiver can be split using an RCA Y adapter and sent to two subwoofers simultaneously. However, you do have to make sure the subwoofers are both at the same distance from your primary listening position. The other receivers you mention just provide that Y connection internally. They don't actually provide separate subwoofer signals with separate timing and distance settings. For those features you need to get a much more expensive model.

2. Audio quality is primarily determined by your speakers and room acoustics. Electronics are a distant third. However, receivers with a form of room equalization can compensate for some of the infelicities of speakers and room. Personally I'm biased toward AVRs which contain Audyssey (Marantz, Denon & Onkyo in your list), since they can EQ the subwoofer. Yamaha's YPAO does not, except, perhaps, in their top-of-the-line models.

Onkyo's gotten a lot of bad publicity about their HDMI boards failing because the HDMI chips were not properly cooled. Hopefully that's been fixed in a refurbished unit.

I hope these comments help a little.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 9 Old 04-05-2014, 01:39 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
The dual sub pre-outs on the 607 can be replicated with a $3 RCA "Y" splitter cable as Selden notes above. Also, the 607 only uses Audyssey 2EQ which can't even EQ the sub woofer while the more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ on both the Onkyo 626 and Marantz 5005 can EQ the subwoofer. The X2000 uses the even more advanced version of Audyssey MultEQ XT which can also EQ the subwoofer while neither of the Yamaha models listed have this capability.
Farley1 likes this.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 9 Old 04-05-2014, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, that is some good info on the Y splitter and also the EQ setup for speakers & subwoofers. Kinda puts the X2000 into the front of the pack.

Any other comments or suggestions?
post #5 of 9 Old 04-05-2014, 04:06 PM

I recently went through the process of buying a new receiver too and had a budget similar to yours. After weeks of research and lurking around this forum, I ultimately went with the Yamaha V675. I originally purchased the V575 which I was very happy with but then bought the denon E400 (very similar to the X2000) because it was on sale for $330 but wasn't happy with the sound, it had a problem with the hdmi handshake and my tv, and I liked the Yamaha app on my smartphone way better then the denon app. Sounds like a silly thing to say, but it's really nice to be able to control your whole system right from your phone/tablet. I ruled out onkyo due to all the reliability issues.

So I finally returned the E400 and got the Yamaha V675 and couldn't be happier with my decision.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2014, 04:38 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital517 View Post

I recently went through the process of buying a new receiver too and had a budget similar to yours. After weeks of research and lurking around this forum, I ultimately went with the Yamaha V675. I originally purchased the V575 which I was very happy with but then bought the denon E400 (very similar to the X2000) because it was on sale for $330 but wasn't happy with the sound, it had a problem with the hdmi handshake and my tv, and I liked the Yamaha app on my smartphone way better then the denon app. Sounds like a silly thing to say, but it's really nice to be able to control your whole system right from your phone/tablet. I ruled out onkyo due to all the reliability issues.

So I finally returned the E400 and got the Yamaha V675 and couldn't be happier with my decision.

The E400 is actually a level below the X2000 as it has the lower version of Audyssey MultEQ vs. MultEQ XT (8x higher speaker filter resolution) on the X2000, comes with only a 2 year warranty vice 3 years on the X2000, plus the X2000 has a set of Zone 2 pre-outs so you can run a 7.1 setup in the main zone whereas the E400 has no Zone 2 pre-outs so the most you can run is only 5.1 setup if you want Zone 2 speakers as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

0. Authorized Denon and Marantz dealers are allowed only to publish the MSRP. If you call them on the phone, though, they can quote a much lower price, often only slightly above what A4L charges for refurbs. New units have a substantially longer warranty than refurbs.

Since I am now leaning toward the Denon X2000, do you have any recommendation for where to buy that I can negotiate a lower price like this?

Thanks!
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denithor View Post

Since I am now leaning toward the Denon X2000, do you have any recommendation for where to buy that I can negotiate a lower price like this?

Thanks!

Check the signature directly above your post...

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #9 of 9 Old 04-07-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Oh. Duh. Missed that completely! TY!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors