Receiver kicking back to standby - speaker shorting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2014, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently replaced my Onkyo TX-NR801 (7.1 running in 5.1 mode) with a Yamaha RX-V375 (5.1) because after 9 years of faithful operation the Onkyo started kicking out into standby mode when the volume was turned up to anything beyond minimum listening levels. It also didn't have HDMI connections so it was probably time to retire it anyhow. Front and rear speakers are in-ceiling ones (of unknown make and model unless/until I can find the old documentation) plus a JBL 136SICEN center speaker and a pre-amp-out-fed JBL powered subwoofer.

Now I've hooked up the Yamaha and much to my surprise it is doing the same thing. The Yamaha error message is "Check SP wires". I'm guessing I have a problem with one or more speakers that are shorting out at higher volumes. Before I knock myself out on this, does that sound like a reasonable hypothesis?

Can a speaker that functions okay at lower volumes start shorting out at higher volumes after several years of use? If so, would a safe way to check this be to disconnect one speaker at a time from the receiver then turn up the volume to see if the receiver kicks out? Or would running for a short time with no load on that speaker connection damage the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2014, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Some progress. I found this also happened when the receiver was set to plain stereo, where only the two front stereo speakers were being driven. So I shut down and swapped the front and back speaker connections so that the plain stereo would now go to the rear speakers. Problem went away. One more iteration narrowed the problem down to the left front speaker and/or its wiring.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 03:49 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1370
Good troubleshooting. Replace the FL speaker if the wiring is confirmed correct and you should be good to go. smile.gif

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm recovering from back surgery and I may bave about reached the limit of what I'm able to do for a while since we're talking about a ceiling mounted speaker. I've now configured the receiver not to use a center speaker and have connected the center speaker to the left front terminals and moved it to the far end of the mantle it sits on. Will have to limp along like that for a while I fear, or (gasp) actually get some professional help.

Meanwhile, just for my education, I'm returning to a question in the initial post. Would it have been damaging to the amp to run it with no load connected to active speaker terminals?
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 1133
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaiguy View Post

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm recovering from back surgery and I may bave about reached the limit of what I'm able to do for a while since we're talking about a ceiling mounted speaker. I've now configured the receiver not to use a center speaker and have connected the center speaker to the left front terminals and moved it to the far end of the mantle it sits on. Will have to limp along like that for a while I fear, or (gasp) actually get some professional help.

Meanwhile, just for my education, I'm returning to a question in the initial post. Would it have been damaging to the amp to run it with no load connected to active speaker terminals?

Operating solid state amplifiers with no load is never ever harmful for them. There is no current flow so they pretty much just go on vacation.
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Operating solid state amplifiers with no load is never ever harmful for them. There is no current flow so they pretty much just go on vacation.

Thanks. Will be good knowledge for future troubleshooting efforts, if necessary.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page