Suggest a budget whole house receiver or amp (4 rooms) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently purchased a house that is wired for what I would call whole house audio (but I dont really know what I am talking about).  We have 4 rooms that are wired with 2 ceiling speakers and an in wall volume control each. I have no idea what the quality of the speakers is since they dont have a brand name on the front of them...

All I really need is the ability to play music throughout the house.  I dont need zone control or the ability to play multiple sources at the same time.  

I just purchased a Denon e300 this week with the goal of being able to stream pandora to all the rooms with only this receiver and the 8 speakers but some of things I have been reading have me doubting I bought the right equipment.  I want to accomplish this in the cheapest way possible.  I paid $200 for the Denon receiver and even that is more than I wanted to pay.  Please suggest some cheap solutions...thanks.

Also, I am sure there will be some questions that I have not answered so sorry in advance if I didnt provide enough info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-07-2014, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Why are you doubting you bought the right equipment? Haven't seen any networked receivers under $200 so the Denon is probably a good choice.

If you've got some type of 4 room speaker selector you should be fine.

Afro GT
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

I just didnt know if it was powerful enough to handle that many speakers.  Fortunately I know that it is unlikely that they are all on at once but I was confused as to how to hook them up the receiver given they are all supposed to be in different areas.  Front left, front right, rear right,...etc.  But the speaker selector makes sense if it can harness all the power of the receiver and control all of the speakers...

As far as the networking part goes, I am starting to think that it isnt all that important.  At the very least it seams I could use my Chromecast and an HDMI input on any receiver and cast pandora or IHeartRadio to that without needing the AVR to have networking capabilities...Is this common?

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

So this is what I am looking for?  http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Impedance-Protection-Controls/dp/B004TBF90C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1397001698&sr=1-1&keywords=cave+4+zone+speaker+selector

Do I need a selector if I have in wall volume controls in each room?

Is it possible to instead just hook up 1 set of speakers to each channel on the AVR?

post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2014, 04:44 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1840 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
The E300 is a 5CH AVR so although you could connect 4CH to 4 speakers, you would still need a speaker selector for the remaining 4 speakers. The speaker selector you posted connected to only the FL/FR speaker posts on the E300 should work just fine if each set of speakers has a separate set of speaker wires that need to be connected to an amp, otherwise, if the speakers are wired in series with each other and the in-wall volume controls have their own impedance "dip" switches with only 4 wires to connect to an amp, you should not require the separate speaker selector box, rather simply connect the 4 wires to the FL/FR speaker posts on the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page