Denon AVR-5600 vs AVR-4806 vs "CI" vs AVR-x3000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In my single days this would have not been a question I would even ask...I would just buy not worry about the money involved. Thats how I ended up with the AVR-5600.

Many moons have passed since I bought the AVR-5600. I was single then so money was not a concern, well, at least how it was allocated was all up to me. Married with three children now so I have to make compromise. My ONLY gripe about the 5600 is that it does not decode DTS from bluray so I end up watching most of them in, gasp, ProLogic!

We are building a new home now and I will have a dedicated media room. The 5600 will go into the game room where is will live out its useful life. I need a new unit for my theater. There is an AVR4806 used I can get for 300. As best I can tell its basically the 5600 with HDMI outs and DTS capability plus some other minor upgrades. I am reading there is a difference between the 4806 and 4806ci and the only one that has me concerned is the 1080P bits. From what I understand the plain 4806 will not pass 1080P signal but the 4608ci will. It seems as if either will upscale any video input to 1080 (i or p depending) How can I tell them apart? Seems like they came with different remotes. On Denon's site the pictures of both look identical otherwise and I didnt see "ci" anywhere on the unit...which doesnt mean much I suppose?

I know in the grand scheme of things this is only a step or two forward from the 5600 but its also about all I really need. What I might give up in features from going with a current production like the X3000 is to me outweighed by better amplification and resulting sound in the older 4608...which in my estimation is likely about the same as the 5600? If I am not mistaken it too has separate power supplies and amps like the 5600? Benefit as well is I can pick up the 4806 for the asking price of $300 but likely less since they did say "OBO" Saving some money in this transition is not a small thing, we ARE building a new house so every nickle counts. I am selling some studio lights next week and the proceeds will buy some additional surrounds to match what I have as well as a pair of fronts to move with the 5600. The remainder after that is $200 so I would come up with very little to make this happen.

So that brings me to the next question. The AVR-3000. It sure looks to have a lot more "features" but a feature is not always a benefit. If you dont use it then its not a benefit. It seems to me the only real "benefit" I would appreciate is a few more HDMI inputs. I said "benefit" because it would be nice to have everything switched through the receiver but it is an easy enough work around and I am doing it presently with my Harmony remote. When I change activities it switches the input on the TV as needed. I presently only have three input devices but I could see two more, maybe three, in the future. The new TV I am getting has four so I have my needs met in this regard and it has the smart features as well so I wouldnt need them in the reciever for netflix and such. What else would I get that might tip the scales to a new unit vs a solid old one.

So, a lot to answer...

Get the 4806? Or only if its a "ci", (1080p is a deal breaker!)? And enjoy better sound while saving some coin in either case

Or is the AVR-x3000 really a much better unit with more current tech and really will sound just as good, despite having less power and what surely has to be less clean amplification since its got a shared power supply?

This could all be a moot point, I just discovered the 10 day old ad on craigslist. It could be gone already or gone when I get to a decision...and it could be silver like the picture they pulled from the web which I really dont like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-13-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Don't run hdmi audio through the tv. It downgrades the audio quality. And even toslink won't pass as good audio quality as hdmi. Connect every source directly to the receiver with only one from stereo to tv. The X3000 won't sound as good as those flagship models. And that level of audyssey is no good. Step up to xt32 version if you want good auto room eq. X4000 is the way to go. Has full preamp outputs and 2 different zones of hdmi video/digital audio out. Only model above that is the 4520. More equal to that 5600. None of these models will pass 4k@60hz though (hdmi 2.0 comes out soon).
post #3 of 7 Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, no, misunderstanding. I dont pass HDMI audio thru the TV. Just use the harmony to switch inputs for the video signal.

The AVR-4608 gone now so that one is a moot point.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok good. Even optical isn't ideal these days. The only way the new mid/low range models beat those old flagship units is room correction software. Even that is overrated in what it does. The new x4000 is way more money than $300 so not fair to compare. For modern features and decent performance it is out there. If you can manual eq to your room, especially the subwoofer output a flagship with fairly new hdmi is the good used deal.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-14-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I was prepared to overlook this one on craigslist being silver and just do it but they replied back and it was sold. Oh well.

At this point it will probably be the X4000...but wait. I found a AVR4802R, it has DTS which is all I want the 5600 to have. I can deal with the HDMI other ways...$300 OBO it says. Message sent...bet its gone too.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Having too much fun. lol
post #7 of 7 Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Well, this is all MOOT now.

I found a AVR-5700 on ebay for $212 shipped and purchase protected. Not sure but I think the $29 SquareTrade 2yr warranty might be a good idea just in case. Not modern day but really the only additional feature I needed was DTS and this gets me that...the HDMI switching would have been nice but considering this basically cost me nothing since the remainder of the proceeds from my lights sale paid for this in total.

I sold them cause I dont use them any more mostly but also so I didnt have to move them twice and find a place for them in the new house...so my efforts to reduce my moving bulk have backfired in a major way as there are five additional speakers and soon a 50 pound hunk of ARV. Sigh.

At least I wont have to watch Blu Ray in ProLogic anymore smile.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page