Bose Powermatch 8500 multichannel amp (I know, I know, but this looks like the real deal) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just curious if anyone has any experience with this multichannel amp. With 4000 watts available at 4 ohm. 8 channel x 500watts, 4 channel x 1000 watts or 2 channel x 2000 watts. Now, I know Bose has been a dirty word amongst audiophiles and for good reason with their efforts more focused on marketing rather than research. They have developed a professional line for commercial applications and the PM8500 looks like a beast to be reckoned with. Available at under $4000, and closer to $3000 some places, I am considering this amp to mate up with an OPPO 105-D using the OPPO as a preamp. Not sure if the two will "match up" in terms of sensitivity of the amp and output of the OPPO, so will need to look into that Here is the link for the AMP: http://worldwide.bose.com/pro/en_us/web/powered_amplifiers/page.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-17-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
How much? (google says about three grand). Looks pretty flexible.

High Desert Theater -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Building Bass - 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #3 of 7 Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Yes. Looks like it is available for around $3000. Hard to find any amplifier with these specs for that kind of money.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 128
What kind and how many speakers would you be using with the amp?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

7 speakers driven along with a Mackie HRS150 Sub and wish I had 2 of them. The fronts are Ascend Acoustics Sierra Horizons as LCRS:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/horizon/horspecs.html.

The surrounds are Def Tech UIW RSS II and back surrounds Def Tech UIW RCS II. Had to go to in-ceiling for these due to estrogen factor.

As the OPPO only outputs 7 channels unbalanced, and Bose only inputs balanced, will need an unbalanced to balanced converter. No problem there. May be better off with a separate Pre/Pro that does the balancing and other duties, but thought I might get away with not doing that as the only additional input will be Dish via the OPPO coax input. There is an HDMI input ( 2 actually with one front and one back) on the OPPO if I need it but even the ROKU stick won't occupy the back one with the front available. So, inputs not a problem with so few devices. I am certainly open to opinions regarding the need for a separate Pre/Pro.

The room is huge including kitchen dining and living, easily over 12000 cubic feet, hence the need for power.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Here is a nice alternative to the Bose amp...save some money...
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7200.html

You won't hear the difference between 200 to 300 watts (8ohm)

With the $$$ savings of $1200 and possibly higher,you could get a nice
Pre-pro.

This combo with the above mentioned 7200.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/av7701.html

Right at $3K...
post #7 of 7 Old 04-18-2014, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Funny you should mention Outlaw. Exactly what I am going to do in the bedroom which is 3300 cubic feet. I am going to wait on that though until the big black friday/cyber monday sale when another $500 or so can be saved on the combos. I am really interested in the Noble Fidelity speakers and trying to decide on whether to go with the all in-ceiling (WAF) set up or a combination of in-wall fronts with rhythmic F12 sub and 2 in-ceiling NFs for the surrounds for a 5.1 system.

Good suggestion, grasshoppers. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page