AVR shutting down - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All , A puzzling issue has popped up with my audio recently,the system hasn't been changed in 3 years.The issue started about 3 weeks ago,when I fired up my projector, Sony 520 (I believe) Avr and cable box for an evening viewing of a good movie.Powered a everything on and left the room a few minutes later ,when I returned The Avr was off I turned it back on and started the movie, in about 5 minutes I get static noise through the speakers and Avr reads protection and shuts down.
Today I took all the speakers loose and checked for issues,and found nothing wrong. I unhooked my CTV dvr and switched it with another exactly like it,same issue,then I retrieved my old Yamaha 861 ,same issue turns on shuts down. They both will work with the tuner no issues. My CTV/DVD is connected with hdmi and I switched to a new hdmi cable. What in the heck is possibly wrong ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2014, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKtx View Post

Hello All , A puzzling issue has popped up with my audio recently,the system hasn't been changed in 3 years.The issue started about 3 weeks ago,when I fired up my projector, Sony 520 (I believe) Avr and cable box for an evening viewing of a good movie.Powered a everything on and left the room a few minutes later ,when I returned The Avr was off I turned it back on and started the movie, in about 5 minutes I get static noise through the speakers and Avr reads protection and shuts down.
Today I took all the speakers loose and checked for issues,and found nothing wrong. I unhooked my CTV dvr and switched it with another exactly like it,same issue,then I retrieved my old Yamaha 861 ,same issue turns on shuts down. They both will work with the tuner no issues. My CTV/DVD is connected with hdmi and I switched to a new hdmi cable. What in the heck is possibly wrong ?

Your AVR may be overheating.

There may be a hair-fine wire in a speaker cable that is shorting at times.

Your speakers may have rubbing voice coils.

Your AVR may be defective.

The temperature in your listening room may have increased

Your equipment cabinet may not have enough ventilation.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Could be the age or quality of the caps in the AVR they do have a shelf life they swell,leak or just plain fail.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Two different Avr doing the exact same thing, forgot to mention also removed all speaker cables and it does the exact same thing.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Try another pair of speakers? or try one speaker individually one by one, maybe speakers are shorted out inside?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

Old 04-18-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Does the exact same thing on both Avr with no speakers connected. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a power issue. Is there an issue with the cable signal?
Old 04-18-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKtx View Post

Does the exact same thing on both Avr with no speakers connected. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a power issue. Is there an issue with the cable signal?
Do not turn the volume up with no speakers connected it needs a load.
I suspect a bad voice coil or crossover as was stated hook each speaker up individually and test you will find it.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update, I replaced my surge protector . When I pulled my old one off and close enough to smell it there was the fried electrical smell. Appreciate the help from all.everything is operating properly again.