Significant trouble setting up Denon E-300 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all,

Been lurking for a few weeks now, as I am trying my hand at setting up a 5.1 system. So far, I have a Denon E-300 receiver and 2 JBL 180 floorstanding speakers. No center, surround speakers, or subwoofer as of yet. Another thing is that my HD tv does not support ARC and I haven't picked up an optical cable just yet, but will tomorrow. 

So far, I have only connected my computer to the receiver as an input. My tv is of course the output. Video setup is good and well, and the computer screen passes through when the receiver is turned off. No sound, however, no matter what I try. When I plug in the Audyssey microphone to the amp, nothing happens. The setup booklet says a setup screen should show up, but it doesn't. The option to manually enter Audyssey setup is also blacked out and cannot be accessed, even when the Audyssey microphone is plugged in.

I have ensured that my two existing speakers have been connected appropriately. No clues what to do at this point and google has been of no help so far. Any insights would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Try to connect a more standard input source besides computer like a cable tv box or dvd player. Could be a computer setting. The setup program should auto detect mic input, but receiver should play audio without running audyssey. And search for the dedicated denon E thread.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that I tried connecting the cable box (via the composite yellow/red/white cables). Neither video nor audio worked in this case. The video did not work because the receiver popped up and said that it could not convert a composite connection to hdmi (since it's connected to tv via hdmi), so there's that. But still, no explanation for audio.

Unfortunately, don't have any game systems that I could test out.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Call Denon. That looks fatal.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

based on what i've seen so far on google, it looks like the norm for the e-300. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DyoXKUOetGK/compare_033AVRE300_033AVRE400/Denon-AVR-E300-vs-Denon-AVR-E400.html

Old 04-22-2014, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

based on what ive seen on google, it looks like that's simply the case for the e300. example: crutchfield. com/S-DyoXKUOetGK/compare_033AVRE300_033AVRE400/Denon-AVR-E300-vs-Denon-AVR-E400.html (cant post links)