1Likes
  • 2 Post By grasshoppers

post #1 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I requested for some recommendations on this forum and the AVForums for a flagship A/V receiver. People here mostly recommended Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and Onkyo and a few others that didn't get as many "votes." On the AVForums, which I think is a UK-based forum, most recommended the Anthem MRX 710. I read some reviews and while it might not be the most feature-rich unit, the sound quality is above anything else. Some went as far as to say that this is as close as you can get to separates. So, is this true? How does the sound quality of the Anthem MRX 710 compare to the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030 (which was my top choice till I read about the MRX 710)? I need high SPL capability, excellent dynamics, and excellent overall sound quality. My speakers are the original Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For my needs, I vote Anthem since I just bought one. I've owned Yamaha, Denon and Onkyo over the past 30 years. With the Onkyo HDMI issues striking my system, I recently went to find a replacement and listened to all the brands you listed including Marantz. I was about ready to buy a Pioneer Elite SC-79 (Best Buy had them for 50% off), but on my way I went to a local audio store that sold Anthem. After an in-store demo and in-home trial, I was convinced it provided a much higher level of sound quality over the other brands. My room is large (about 4500 cu ft), but the MRX510 was able to provide excellent sound/sound levels.

I cannot comment on your situation, but I went with the MRX510 knowing at some point I would add a 2 or 3 channel amp.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I had a Yamaha RX-A3020 and replaced it with the MRX-710. A good improvement IMHO.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I have the 310 and love it. ARC does a great job.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

I requested for some recommendations on this forum and the AVForums for a flagship A/V receiver. People here mostly recommended Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and Onkyo and a few others that didn't get as many "votes." On the AVForums, which I think is a UK-based forum, most recommended the Anthem MRX 710. I read some reviews and while it might not be the most feature-rich unit, the sound quality is..... "above anything else" .....??????. Some went as far as to say that this is as close as you can get to separates. So, is this true? How does the sound quality of the Anthem MRX 710 compare to the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030 (which was my top choice till I read about the MRX 710)? I need high SPL capability, excellent dynamics, and excellent overall sound quality. My speakers are the original Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7.

In my personal opinion you are comparing one "dog" to another. I would NEVER recommend either one to anyone. I think going to hear some Adcom or Rotel equipment, for example, would give you a whole new perspective on really good sound quality. I suggest that you find some dealers and do some listening to help you decide.

In terms of SOUND QUALITY, this would be my rating of the major brands of receivers (ignoring the "bells and whistles", and concentrating on the design features that make for lower distortion and best sound when good dynamics and high SPL are valued):

(10 being absolutely perfect reproduction and 1 being almost unlistenable)

Rotel- 9

Bryston-9

Adcom-9

Cambridge Audio- 8

NAD-7

Marantz-6

Sony ES Series- 6

Denon- 5

Harman-Kardon -5

Yamaha- 3

Anthem-3

Pioneer-3

Onkyo- 2

Sony-1 (consumer-grade...not ES)

Of course each company makes different models, and some will be better than others, but in general this is my overall impression of their sound quality (and of course everyone votes for what they own...lol).

When Home Theater Magazine tested some Anthem models for power output in the lab, they had less available power than some Denon receivers costing one-third as much. You should look up some of those reviews; you will be shocked at how pathetic the Anthem gear came out. It's hard to see how anyone would buy it after seeing the objective test results. Cambridge Audio receivers have repeatedly been the ones that Home Theater gives the highest praise to for sound quality (they seldom test Adcom or Rotel receivers; probably because they are rather expensive).

I have had over 50 years of experience in the electronics field as an engineer, technician, teacher, and audio enthusiast. This is my personal opinion, and ONLY my personal opinion. Those who demand proof of something will be disappointed.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post

I requested for some recommendations on this forum and the AVForums for a flagship A/V receiver. People here mostly recommended Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer, and Onkyo and a few others that didn't get as many "votes." On the AVForums, which I think is a UK-based forum, most recommended the Anthem MRX 710. I read some reviews and while it might not be the most feature-rich unit, the sound quality is above anything else. Some went as far as to say that this is as close as you can get to separates. So, is this true? How does the sound quality of the Anthem MRX 710 compare to the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3030 (which was my top choice till I read about the MRX 710)? I need high SPL capability, excellent dynamics, and excellent overall sound quality. My speakers are the original Klipsch RF-7, RC-7, and RS-7.

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in "commsysman" drivel above. I don't think he runs a
5.1 system or uses room correction. He does have some very nice 2channel gear.
(What he says)

He bases his opinions off of reviews he reads in audio publications.

Here is a thread where he was questioned about his "experience" with the MRX
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502324/anthem-mrx-510-or-cambridge-audio-651r-with-anti-mode-8033-cinema#post_24051992

I am very happy with my MRX 300 for over 3 years....the ARC room correction is that good!
Balthazar2k4 and jproy13 like this.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
My vote would be the Anthem 510 or 710. If they have the connectivity you want either would be an excellent buy. NAD T758 is another to consider due to its ability for upgrading boards in it although not cheap. My first choice would be one of the Anthems.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page