Hey all, so I have an Onkyo 876 currently which has worked really well and reliably until about 2 days ago when my cat decided to yak on it
I've cleaned up a bit, but it still will make a 'clicking' sound when playing and after a period of time it just shuts off entirely. I was prepared to hold onto it for awhile and even got a dual hdmi blu ray (sony, couldn't justify the oppo) for my new 3D tv etc.
Some of the things I like with it was the video upscaling with HQV and full ISF certification. Not to mention full THX Ultra 2 certification, and gobs of power. However, I don't think I ever found the sound quite as satisfying as my previous Marantz 7400. I've got a Yamaha 667 upstairs in a bedroom and I've been impressed with the sound from it especially give the poor speakers it's paired with.
My general setup is older Klipsch KSB 3.1 (large bookshelves) and matching center with quintets for the rears. I'm setup in an open living room with fully 2 story ceiling. I generally have a lot of components to connect (Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, Sony Blu Ray, Amazon FireTV and Samsung Series 6 LED)
So at this point I've been looking in the ~$1,000 range (looking at authorized mfr refurbished too). I've been primarily looking at the Yamaha 2030, Marantz 7008 and maybe the Denon x4000. I went to Best Buy yesterday and listened to all three. In Pure Direct mode (for all 3) I preferred the sound of the Yamaha over the other two. I found the newer Marantz to be a bit funky for controlling, but no doubt it has the nicest aesthetic look to it.
I'm slightly concerned that the Yamaha and Marantz don't have HDMI 2.0, but I don't know if that makes a 'real' difference...for me today it is obviously no difference, but I'd like to hold onto the receiver for a few years at least.
I've read through a number of posts between the three and they all seem comparable...which leaves me with a few questions:
- Are there any other Makes/Models I should be considering in that grouping?
- Would the addition of HQV in the 3020 be worth the loss of ESS DACs compared to the 2030?
- What would be a comparable Onkyo? It seems like even the 929 is a step down in some of the build quality areas as it is THX Select 2 etc
- Not to offend anyone too much, but the BBY guy did have a decent observation (although probably a bit flawed) that Pioneer Elite = Power; Denon = Bells and Whistles; Marantz = Clarity; Yamaha = A bit of everything...how would you characterize Onkyo, Sony and others?
- Based on what I described above what would you recommend? (Or at least narrow down to)