Maranta 5008 and 12.5khz sound test - help getting interference - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm new to these forums and just bought a new sound system too smile.gif

I was hoping I might take advantage of all the collective wisdom on this site by asking for some help on a troubling problem with a new sound system I just purchased:

I've just bought:
- Pair of 683 (I think that's the model number) bowers and wilkinson floor standing speakers. Was going to buy paradigm sigma s3 but thought I'd start with something much cheaper for a little while first.
- sr5008 av receiver... I was going to buy Yamaha amp as that is what I've been happy with before, but on the day I went looking, the shop I bought from didn't have Yamaha.

Since setting it up I haven't liked the sound and have been fiddling with settings, graphic equaliser etc, and eventually downloaded sound test from spotify: Sound Test by Nyo Kristianto... It has a few sine wave sample sounds.

When I play sound test tracks of 12.5khz or above I get a lot of clicking noise... It's not constant frequency: ranges from about 2 a second to 10 a second and is clearly some kind of interference or compression/decompression noise perhaps from the audio track? It's a very loud click that can be heard above the constant sine wave high pitch sound.

Any suggestions?

I have ordered CD with these sort of sound tests to avoid the spotify/airplay compression/decompression artefacts but it would seem very odd for the 'extreme' quality spotify audio to not be able to cleanly play a 12.5khz sine wave, although I have not done the maths or research on 320kbits audio compression nor how my ipad spotify or PC spotify decompresses these signals for playback via DLNA and AirPlay.

I have tried:
- Spotify extreme setting via ipad and airplay direct to 5008 amp
- Direct, pure-direct, stereo, and other variants on the amp
- playback via PC and airfoil to DLNA to 5008 amp
- manually reset and checked amp speaker configuration: only have two speakers (683 b&w) and have no speaker adjustment oddities: both configured as 3.2m from listener).
- confirmed interference noise comes out of each speaker

What I haven't yet tried:
- replacing speaker cables (but have just ordered some 12 awg)... Cable length only 2.5m each
- turning off all other equipment close to the amp and speakers (in case it's causing the interference) .
- connecting amp to another set of speakers: I will try this later
- connecting speakers to different amp: I have a cheap denon I can try later
- playing this sound test 12.5khz through another sound system: has anyone else tried?
- playing sound test through Apple TV
- trying spotify directly through marantz 5008 (does it have built-in support to connect to spotify?)
- throwing away the amp and buying a Yamaha smile.gif. Just joking
- playing same/similar 12.5khz that has been created/encoded on CD to remove mp3 or similar compression/decompression artefacts (have ordered a sound test CD from eBay)

Any experience or thoughts would be welcome!

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-26-2014, 03:58 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Forget the graphic equalizer ... run Audyssey setup.

Also note there is a whole thread dedicated to the 5008 ....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1482248/the-official-marantz-sr5008-sr6008-and-sr7008-av-receiver-owners-thread/0_100

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 3 Old 04-28-2014, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hmmm, OK i think the marantz 5008 implementation of Airplay and DLNA  is faulty.

I get the same interference (sounds like static) on my Denon CEOL picolo too but...

if i play via the Apple TV the sound is perfect... in all cases streaming from spotify over airplay to the device:

Apple Ipad 4 with Spotify ---> (AirPlay) ---> Marantz 5008:  FAULTY

Apple Ipad 4 with Spotify ---> (AirPlay) ---> Apple TV ---> Marantz 5008: GOOD

PC with Spotify ---> Airfoil ---> DLNA ---> Marantz 5008: FAULTY

PC with Spotify ---> Airfoil ---> Apple TV ---> Marantz 5008: GOOD

I'll start a new discussion in the marantz thread on this if that's a better place for this?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page