I was hoping I might take advantage of all the collective wisdom on this site by asking for some help on a troubling problem with a new sound system I just purchased:
I've just bought:
- Pair of 683 (I think that's the model number) bowers and wilkinson floor standing speakers. Was going to buy paradigm sigma s3 but thought I'd start with something much cheaper for a little while first.
- sr5008 av receiver... I was going to buy Yamaha amp as that is what I've been happy with before, but on the day I went looking, the shop I bought from didn't have Yamaha.
Since setting it up I haven't liked the sound and have been fiddling with settings, graphic equaliser etc, and eventually downloaded sound test from spotify: Sound Test by Nyo Kristianto... It has a few sine wave sample sounds.
When I play sound test tracks of 12.5khz or above I get a lot of clicking noise... It's not constant frequency: ranges from about 2 a second to 10 a second and is clearly some kind of interference or compression/decompression noise perhaps from the audio track? It's a very loud click that can be heard above the constant sine wave high pitch sound.
I have ordered CD with these sort of sound tests to avoid the spotify/airplay compression/decompression artefacts but it would seem very odd for the 'extreme' quality spotify audio to not be able to cleanly play a 12.5khz sine wave, although I have not done the maths or research on 320kbits audio compression nor how my ipad spotify or PC spotify decompresses these signals for playback via DLNA and AirPlay.
I have tried:
- Spotify extreme setting via ipad and airplay direct to 5008 amp
- Direct, pure-direct, stereo, and other variants on the amp
- playback via PC and airfoil to DLNA to 5008 amp
- manually reset and checked amp speaker configuration: only have two speakers (683 b&w) and have no speaker adjustment oddities: both configured as 3.2m from listener).
- confirmed interference noise comes out of each speaker
What I haven't yet tried:
- replacing speaker cables (but have just ordered some 12 awg)... Cable length only 2.5m each
- turning off all other equipment close to the amp and speakers (in case it's causing the interference) .
- connecting amp to another set of speakers: I will try this later
- connecting speakers to different amp: I have a cheap denon I can try later
- playing this sound test 12.5khz through another sound system: has anyone else tried?
- playing sound test through Apple TV
- trying spotify directly through marantz 5008 (does it have built-in support to connect to spotify?)
- throwing away the amp and buying a Yamaha . Just joking
- playing same/similar 12.5khz that has been created/encoded on CD to remove mp3 or similar compression/decompression artefacts (have ordered a sound test CD from eBay)
Any experience or thoughts would be welcome!
Also note there is a whole thread dedicated to the 5008 ....
hmmm, OK i think the marantz 5008 implementation of Airplay and DLNA is faulty.
I get the same interference (sounds like static) on my Denon CEOL picolo too but...
if i play via the Apple TV the sound is perfect... in all cases streaming from spotify over airplay to the device:
Apple Ipad 4 with Spotify ---> (AirPlay) ---> Marantz 5008: FAULTY
Apple Ipad 4 with Spotify ---> (AirPlay) ---> Apple TV ---> Marantz 5008: GOOD
PC with Spotify ---> Airfoil ---> DLNA ---> Marantz 5008: FAULTY
PC with Spotify ---> Airfoil ---> Apple TV ---> Marantz 5008: GOOD
I'll start a new discussion in the marantz thread on this if that's a better place for this?
|Gear in this thread|