Sony STR-DN1050 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-80 vs. ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2014, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjpk248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I'm looking to do a receiver upgrade this year. I've had Pioneer's flagship elite model from a few years ago for a theater setup and it was great. I also had a low to mid range pioneer for a basic 5.1 setup from ~10 years ago and it's still kicking (elite model was zapped by lightning and now we have an Integra that is newer but doesn't sound as good IMO). I'm looking at the upper mid range models for 2014 and the Sony 1050 and Elite VSX 80 have piqued my interest so far. Obviously this is just a spec sheet comparison at this point as there are no reviews yet, but I wanted to engage the forums to see what others are looking at in this range. Of note: I have no concern with 4K and won't for some years until there is readily available content and cheaper tv's so support for that isn't a consideration. I'll be using a Sony w900 with the new receiver and the high end Polk speakers. It sounded like the Sony 1040 model had some HDMI port issues so I'm cautious of being on the bleeding edge with the 1050. I like the feature set of Sony, but have always been biased toward Pioneer as they "sound good to me" and have been quality builds IMO. Anybody looking in this same segment? Any other brands in sub-$1000 range that you guys are anticipating for 2014 release?

Thanks.
tigerdog and fobie like this.
cjpk248 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Newbie
 
fobie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the Sony STR-DN1050 and so far it is outstanding for the money. I paid $599 Fry's electronics. It has thunderous Lows and great highs. After you get it figured out it works very well I am happy! Now I am ready for 4K!
fobie is offline  
Old 05-18-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
D Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by fobie View Post

I just got the Sony STR-DN1050 and so far it is outstanding for the money. I paid $599 Fry's electronics. It has thunderous Lows and great highs. After you get it figured out it works very well I am happy! Now I am ready for 4K!

Is there an onscreen volume display when making volume changes, or is it like last year's 1040 and you have to open the GUI to see the volume level?

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
D Bone is offline  
Old 05-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Member
 
Typ53b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I too recently bought a 1050, and it does indeed display the volume when making changes. Very happy with mine so far, I think it would be a fine choice. NOTE: though it does pass 4K video, it is NOT HDMI 2.0, it's still 1.4. Pioneer has announced 2.0-equipped receivers for 2014, but they won't be enabled until a later firmware change.
D Bone likes this.
Typ53b is offline  
Old 05-26-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
D Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Typ53b View Post

I too recently bought a 1050, and it does indeed display the volume when making changes. Very happy with mine so far, I think it would be a fine choice. NOTE: though it does pass 4K video, it is NOT HDMI 2.0, it's still 1.4. Pioneer has announced 2.0-equipped receivers for 2014, but they won't be enabled until a later firmware change.

Nice. The 1040 didn't have an onscreen volume display and it's good to see that Sony fixed their oversight.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
D Bone is offline  
Old 06-01-2014, 12:26 AM
Member
 
-Jim-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Hi Cjpk248,

 

I went looking for a mid range receiver to replace a 20 year old first generation Sony Home Theater Receiver that is still working but lacked most of the goodies now available. (This is for our second HT setup with a 3D LED TV.) I really was thinking of going to a Denon, Pioneer Elite, or a Marantz; but came across the STR-DN1040 reviews which basically said nothing else was even close at this price point. I paid $944 for the old receiver, and could reasonable expect to pay about $1444 just accounting for inflation, so adding a few goodies I was thinking more in the $2,000 range. But I was wrong. I found a STR-DN1040 on an open box sale for $500 at Future Shop.

 

The STR-DN1040 was fabulous, but the more I got into it there were 2 things that I decided I needed that it didn't do well. I loved the wireless connectivity (it was the only Receiver I found with this feature) but it would only play my MP3 files natively via DNLA from my main PC, and I wanted it to play FLAC Files as well. And it's second zone would not play any digital sources at all. (I did figure out a work around using speaker outputs but it was messy.) So I returned it last Wednesday just before the 30 day return period expired. It was a tough call, and the first time I ever returned anything like that. But I read the STR-DN1050 does everything the STR-DN1040 did, and solves both these issues. Future Shop has nothing at all about the STR-DN1050 so I have ordered a new one from my favorite local computer store (NCIX) who had it on a limited time sale this week (but no stock :() for $599. I think it's a bargain at that price.

 

So I'm counting the days until they have the STR-DN1050 in stock. 

 

I hope this is helpful.

 

Regards,

 

Jim:cool:   


Regards,


Jim
-Jim- is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Paulo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Typ53b

I too recently bought a 1050, and it does indeed display the volume when making changes. Very happy with mine so far, I think it would be a fine choice. NOTE: though it does pass 4K video, it is NOT HDMI 2.0, it's still 1.4. Pioneer has announced 2.0-equipped receivers for 2014, but they won't be enabled until a later firmware change.


Nice. The 1040 didn't have an onscreen volume display and it's good to see that Sony fixed their oversight.
It's Paulo72 again. My Harman Kardon AVR 2700 is still going strong, I only wish it had HDMI passthrough. I love the sony str-dn 1050 now that it has an on screen volume display. How does the sound compare to the HK 2700?
Paulo72 is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
D Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post
It's Paulo72 again. My Harman Kardon AVR 2700 is still going strong, I only wish it had HDMI passthrough. I love the sony str-dn 1050 now that it has an on screen volume display. How does the sound compare to the HK 2700?
Hey Paulo I'm glad to hear your 2700 is still cranking. I haven't heard the 1050 yet so I can't comment on its sound. When and if I do, I'll let you know my thoughts. BTW, I'm waiting for the 2014 HKs to see if they made any changes as I do miss my 2700.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
D Bone is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Paulo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
Hey Paulo I'm glad to hear your 2700 is still cranking. I haven't heard the 1050 yet so I can't comment on its sound. When and if I do, I'll let you know my thoughts. BTW, I'm waiting for the 2014 HKs to see if they made any changes as I do miss my 2700.
I heard that the 2014 HK receivers will be relesed in November, should have all the latest elctronic stuff, sound promising. Hopefully has passthrough. HK did release a firware update for the 2700, which cured the optical cable issue, and fixed the delay when going through the menus I love that it dosen't need room correction. With music is so much better than my previous pioneer and yamaha. Good luck with youy Sony 1050. Would love to know how it sounds? Don't you currently own a Denon? I think Denon are nice, just never been a fan.
Paulo72 is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
D Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: SoCal, USA
Posts: 1,218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post
I heard that the 2014 HK receivers will be relesed in November, should have all the latest elctronic stuff, sound promising. Hopefully has passthrough. HK did release a firware update for the 2700, which cured the optical cable issue, and fixed the delay when going through the menus I love that it dosen't need room correction. With music is so much better than my previous pioneer and yamaha. Good luck with youy Sony 1050. Would love to know how it sounds? Don't you currently own a Denon? I think Denon are nice, just never been a fan.
Yes, I still am a Denon X2000 owner. I was thinking about the 1050, but have since changed my mind and will stay with my 2000 until something comes out that beats it for the price. Maybe November!

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
D Bone is offline  
Old 06-18-2014, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
cjpk248's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Hi Cjpk248,
 
I went looking for a mid range receiver to replace a 20 year old first generation Sony Home Theater Receiver that is still working but lacked most of the goodies now available. (This is for our second HT setup with a 3D LED TV.) I really was thinking of going to a Denon, Pioneer Elite, or a Marantz; but came across the STR-DN1040 reviews which basically said nothing else was even close at this price point. I paid $944 for the old receiver, and could reasonable expect to pay about $1444 just accounting for inflation, so adding a few goodies I was thinking more in the $2,000 range. But I was wrong. I found a STR-DN1040 on an open box sale for $500 at Future Shop.
 
The STR-DN1040 was fabulous, but the more I got into it there were 2 things that I decided I needed that it didn't do well. I loved the wireless connectivity (it was the only Receiver I found with this feature) but it would only play my MP3 files natively via DNLA from my main PC, and I wanted it to play FLAC Files as well. And it's second zone would not play any digital sources at all. (I did figure out a work around using speaker outputs but it was messy.) So I returned it last Wednesday just before the 30 day return period expired. It was a tough call, and the first time I ever returned anything like that. But I read the STR-DN1050 does everything the STR-DN1040 did, and solves both these issues. Future Shop has nothing at all about the STR-DN1050 so I have ordered a new one from my favorite local computer store (NCIX) who had it on a limited time sale this week (but no stock ) for $599. I think it's a bargain at that price.
 
So I'm counting the days until they have the STR-DN1050 in stock. 
 
I hope this is helpful.
 
Regards,
 
Jim   
Jim,

I appreciate your input. Do you now have your 1050? If so, what are your thoughts now?

Thanks.
cjpk248 is offline  
Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Member
 
-Jim-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool

cjpk248,


They moved my reply here: Official Sony STR-DN850/1050 Thread
-Jim- is offline  
 

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 71
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off