Why do people continue to purchase Onkyo AV receivers knowing their track record ? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #211 of 228 Old 06-27-2014, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I purchased a TX-NR808 a couple years back. I have had zero issues with the HDMI, though I will move back to Denon for my next upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 228 Old 07-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The HDMI board on my TX-NR1007 failed 26 months after purchase, and the replacement failed 26 months after that. Both times, Onkyo picked up the tab for the repair, which is appreciated; but I have zero confidence that it won't fail again in a couple of years.
post #213 of 228 Old 07-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltpride99 View Post
I purchased a TX-NR808 a couple years back. I have had zero issues with the HDMI, though I will move back to Denon for my next upgrade.

I always said that I would run either a Denon or Onkyo as an AVR myself...if anything continues to get worse in "Onkyo reliability land" I will consider changing to a Denon if/when I ever need a new receiver...

post #214 of 228 Old 07-19-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Onkyo has dropped Audyssey if that makes a difference in your decision making.
post #215 of 228 Old 07-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Onkyo has dropped Audyssey if that makes a difference in your decision making.

Yes, Duc, I'm aware of their letting go of Audyssey and implementing "AccuEQ" or whatever their new proprietary system is called; I don't use any room correction or EQ/auto setup so this wouldn't be a deciding factor...in fact, the less features for me (except for high power) the better...

post #216 of 228 Old 07-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My first Onkyo AVR was a Prologic pre AC-3/DD era which I replaced with an AC-3 Kenwood. I bought DTS 5.1 CD's and laserdiscs so I got a Denon that I used for about six years. That brought me to the Onkyo TX-SR875. I got a superb deal for a new TX-SR875 in Aug 20111. I sold the first 875 and the guy that I sold it to is pleased with it. Mine is working like a charm.
My understanding is that the Onkyo TX-SR series gets very warm. I solved that problem when I bought a $50.00 Antec A/V cooler. Besides power and features I love the DSD feature that Onkyo supports when I play my SACD collection. Would I buy another Onkyo AVR? You better believe IT!

Home Theater Aficionado
post #217 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am a (Integra 80.1/80.3)Onkyo Owner and love both Preamp/Processors very good sound quality and loaded with features love the networking capabilty. I have had to suffer thru a few reliability problems associated with the HDMI boards. My experience has definitely taught me to be careful purchasing new products especially with out doing any research at the time of purchase the unit made stereophile best buy for the money list. I needed a pre amp processor with HDMI capability.

My 80.1 ran two years prior to the first failure (No video) the local service dealer had it for over 4wks and I was going crazy therefore I purchased the 80.3 to get my system back up and running. The 80.3 ran for about a year and I lost the video on it unhooked the 80.3 installed the 80.1. When the 80.3 got to the service center they said they could not find anything wrong with it and sent it back.

The 80.1 ran for about 3 months and the sound went out. Unhooked the 80.1 and installed the 80.3. This time the service center changed the problem board (80.1) instead of re-soldering. By the time I got the 80.1 back I lost the video on the 80.3 installed the 80.1 and let the 80.3 sit for about a year when the 80.1 failed again for no sound. At this point I was ready to just by a new pre-amp processor however I did not have the money for the one I wanted ( Anthem D2v 3D).

I would have to say Integra supported there product very well only one of the failures was out of pocket the rest were covered under warranty. The issue with the 80.3 I'm thinking is a different issue related to the HDMI cable type. I talked to the service center and they indicated that my unit has been running fine since it got there and that I should get both unit back next week. I had inquired about the HDCP and weather or not this unit was certified he said yes. He recommended that I use 1.4 cable with ethernet because they had issue in there shop with other cables. He also said there is a difference between the 80.1 and 80.3 in this area. I am praying that this is the root cause of my issues on the 80.3. When the 80.1 fails its going in the trash and I will learn from my mistake.

If you asked me would I buy anymore of there products I would say maybe, this time I would wait and see how the 80.6 runs prior to jumping on the band wagon. Secondly I would find out if there are any common (HDMI) components between the old and new models. The new unit should be released later this yr and its still cheaper than the Anthem!!! Do not let my experience affect how you judge the vendor just do your homework and you should be fine.
post #218 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 139
You just shrug off $5000 worth of door stops that easily?

Krell Evolution 900e x 7

Bose Jewel speakers.

Jealous of my speakers?

post #219 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why do people keep buying GM vehicles?
post #220 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 View Post
Why do people keep buying GM vehicles?
Because everyone wants a good blower.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #221 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had 4 or 5 Onkyo A/Vs over the years, and haven't had issues with any except the very first one (mid level 400 or 500 series back around 2000.) That one had a audio board that went bad, but was replaced with no great hassle under warrantee. At the time I upgraded to my current (an 808) I saw all the talk of heat and HDMI reliability issues with Onkyo receivers, but by then, there was another issue keeping me loyal to Onkyo:

My HT rack had evolved into a fairly complex one controlled with a bunch of macros, learned commands, etc. on a URC MX-810 remote. Each receiver upgrade had required a minimum of re-programming, because the Onkyo command codes never changed. The prospect of having to a learn new control logic for someone like Denon and then having to completely re-program and de-bug the remote was the tie-breaker that led me to roll the dice one more time with Onkyo.

And the results have been fine. I've never had any trouble from the 808. It seems to run cool and I love the sound. And, as expected, installing it was again a non-event as far as remote programming was concerned.
post #222 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Why - because the price was real good, and I was not too crazy about the Denon

Tascam (Integra 30.4 platform) - it has a lot of features, and it is working good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TASCAM-PAR20...item1e8ef549b3

http://tascam.com/product/pa-r200/

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #223 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
Because everyone wants a good blower.

AMEN, brotha....

post #224 of 228 Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo2u View Post
Onkyo has their HDMI problems but they stand behind their products long after the warranty has expired. That's why I continue to buy them.
Couldn't be further from the truth, my warranty was shortly expired and they offered to fix it for $180...

I ended up doing the Youtube DIY fix but even that started failing. Eventually I just had to buy a Denon receiver, which I'm extremely satisfied with.
post #225 of 228 Old 07-21-2014, 02:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post
Couldn't be further from the truth, my warranty was shortly expired and they offered to fix it for $180...

I ended up doing the Youtube DIY fix but even that started failing. Eventually I just had to buy a Denon receiver, which I'm extremely satisfied with.
Been there done that and also still very happy with my Denon. However the Pioneer before it never failed, just got obsolete.
post #226 of 228 Old 07-21-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1337Dude View Post

PM sent!
post #227 of 228 Old 07-21-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I have installed over a dozen 808s and 828s (...and at least 1 - 818...)over the last 28 months with no failure of any type whatsoever.

Value has been the driving force behind the choice. And when I needed help for anything, Onkyo's 7 Day a Week Telephone Support was extremely convenient.

But that's me, and YMMV.

PS. Gotta git me one o-dose GM Blowers tho.....

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"
post #228 of 228 Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Count me in as one of the "Onkyo faithful" that continues to love this brand (despite its I suppose arguable poor faceplate designs in the new models) and who has not had one single receiver of theirs fail on me -- we are still running a 605 in the surround system that has had not ONE problem with overheating (it is ventilated properly, though, with a TON of room on top of it in the cabinet), HDMI failures or popping/bitstreaming "bombs" as well as a TX-8555 stereo model in our dedicated two-channel room that has been flawless...plus, I'm still running a classic TX-SR600 AVR from my very first surround setup in our workout/exercise room powering Polk R15's in stereo mode and it works perfectly...and this unit has survived a cross-country move in which the side of its chassis got bashed in from mishandling...yet it never stops.

Our 605 AVR was bought in and around the time Onkyo first unleashed these first-generation units that decoded the high resolution codecs and has been used HEAVILY almost EVERY single day since that time.
I've had the exact same experience except with the TX-SR705S. I bought it back in 12/08 and it's been used every day, anywhere from 2-8 hours daily by me, my wife and 4 kids. It's still running strong.

Absolutely zero issues, besides the weird DTS-HD Master Audio "bomb" that was fixable way back near purchase.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page