What Amp Should I Get?? HELP!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-29-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey fellas,

I currently have 2 10 inch kicker 40CWR102 CompR series subs. I have them wired to 1 ohm currently but one of my friends shorted out my old amp. I had a 3000 watt power acoustic amp (I do not have all of the specs on  it)  But now i need a new amp and I am not sure what to get. The subs are 300 watt RMS per coil which is 600 watt RMS max and I have 2 subs. The peak power is 1,200 watts per sub. What do you think I should get?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
I'd get a fairly large (500w or so) Rockford Fosgate, JL Audio or maybe Cadence mono amp. They all put out their rated power, which the Power Acoustic will not - trust me on this! Wire the subs to present a 2ohm load, (maybe even down to 1ohm if they are dvc, and the amp you get can go that low). There are plenty of other amps that'll work just fine, but those three are solid. Don't cheap out on the amp, or get seduced by claimed power, even if one says it'll push 3000w - look what happened to your last one! And use a good amp wiring kit - no less than 4ga. RF makes nice ones.

Oh, btw - this is a home theater, home audio forum - hardly anyone here is into car audio!
Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Oh I didnt even realize that! Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it.

But maybe I can keep jogging your brain. If i have my subs wired to 1 ohm and the subs can have a max of 600 RMS a piece, wouldn't I want to get an amp that pushing out around 1000 RMS with 2 channels??

Old 05-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeramsubs View Post

Oh I didnt even realize that! Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it.

But maybe I can keep jogging your brain. If i have my subs wired to 1 ohm and the subs can have a max of 600 RMS a piece, wouldn't I want to get an amp that pushing out around 1000 RMS with 2 channels??
I'd say your best off with a 1ohm stable mono amp - you don't need 2 channels. But yes, something that pushes 1000-1200w at 1ohm. Most of the cheaper brands amps aren't going to be happy at 1ohm - I always have had good luck with Rockford Fostgate, but there are plenty of quality options. I'd also probably go with a Class D digital amp - they are more efficient and will be less of a drain on your cars electrical system, which could be considerable at 1000+ watts. Good luck!