Denon AVR-X2000 vs. Sony STR-DN840 vs. Onkyo TX-NR626 vs. Pioneer VSX-1023K - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which receiver would you choose?
Denon AVR-X2000 8 47.06%
Sony STR-DN840 3 17.65%
Onkyo TX-NR626 3 17.65%
Pioneer VSX-1023K 3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Title say it all which would you choose and why? (Also which would you suggest for me, sometimes what you need/want and what I need/want are different things.)

My budget is about $400 max, my actual buying choices are as follows:

Denon AVR-x2000, New, $400

Sony STR-DN840, New, $430

Onkyo TX-NR626, Refurb, $350

Pioneer VSX-1023K, Refurb (ebay...), $350

Here is a chart with the features of each receiver, the Denon e400 on this chart is pretty similar to the x2000,

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AhtQ0KI9vZ0PdHpxR2xkUm1rdG5SR3RDUU9heU9zTnc&single=true&gid=0&output=html

Optional reading ahead:

These will be driving Fluance SV10 full range front LR floor standing loud speakers, Fluance SV10 center and 2 SV10 surround speakers, and I will also probably use a pair Klipsch Quintet III bookshelf speakers for the front highs. My subwoofer is a Bic V1220, 200watt 12 inch active sub with 24 db/octave active low pass crossover.

I can bi-amp my front LR speakers and this is something I want to try out, so I want the receiver to be able to bi-amp, which I believe all of these can. I am also interested in using PLIIz for front highs, so I want that as an option as well, (I realize I can't do both, but I want the option to go either way)

Two other things important to me is internet radio, particularly Spotify, and the receivers compatibility or usability with iphones. Basically this means it needs to have airplay, which is the primary reason Onkyo is not at the top of my list. I previously had a THX certified Onkyo TX-SR705, and was very happy with it, but I want a more modern receiver with more advanced features and the lack of Airplay on the Onkyo TX-NR626, makes it a hard sell for me.

I am currently leaning pretty strong towards the Denon, since it has Airplay, and Spotify, and can do everything else I require. I am a bit disappointed it doesn't have bluetooth or MHL, as I have an Android phone and could use those features, but I mainly use internet radio and my wife has an extensive music collection on her iphone and we will get more use out of the Airplay, so this isn't a deal breaker for me. The Audyssey MultEQ XT is also a big draw as I have heard so much praise for it here at AVS.

Looking at the Pioneer VSX-1023K, the 9 channel speaker jacks are a big draw as this offers a very flexibile setup capable switching between front highs and surround backs with just a setting change, or possible automatically, not really sure how that works, but it does say in the manual that sound cannot be played from the front highs and surround backs simultaneously. I don't know if that means you can only configure the system as 7.1 w/ front highs or rear surrounds or if you can configure it as a 9.1 and the receiver will just use whichever channels are most appropriate for the playing back the movie effects. Either way its appealing. Unfortunately this system is a bit expensive and kinda low powered with only 80 watts per channel. When using Uverse on my Onkyo TX-SR705, I had to max out the volume for music channels because the Uverse cable box delivers such a low volume signal out to the receiver. Im afraid a lower powered receiver won't be able amp this signal enough to reach the volume I desire. It also has Spotify with a firmware update, the option to add a bluetooth dongle, Airplay, and MHL. So all in all alot of features.

Finally there is the Sony STR-DN 840, another receiver with a ton of features. Wifi, not important to me, I prefer to use ethernet, bluetooth, and Airplay. But no spotify. Cnet considers this the best value of 2013, and What Hi*Fi considers the DN1040 one of the best receivers of 2013, so they have a few friends but if you look at the Amazon reviews they have more than a few enemies as well with many people claiming serious HDMI issues. Between the HDMI issues, lack of Spotify, the fact that Sony refuses to publish the 8 ohms, 20Hz - 20 kHz power rating, and the high price, this one really isn't at the top of my list either.

So basically I am between the Denon AVR-X2000, and the Pioneer VSX-1023k, unless someone has a compelling reason I should reconsider the Onkyo or Sony. Thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 351
The Denon x2000 due to a 3 year warranty, better room correction software.

Try the bi-amping feature out for your own validation but its generally useless.

Afro GT
post #3 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Yamaha 675 beats them all. $400 Most reliable, best sounding. Has airplay and spotify and mhl.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V675-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B00B981F1U
Ypao room correction doesn't do much but is still better than audyssey xt.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-51779/51750#post_21783037
post #4 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 1327
At it's current clearance pricing, the Denon X2000 would be your best choice as afrogt suggests.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #5 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Alright let me throw one more in the mix. Any thoughts on the Onkyo TX-NR717? I like this one as it has the same THX Certification as my old receiver, and it has a total of 11 speaker jacks so you could switch between  front high, front wide, and rear surround configurations on the fly. It also has Audyssy DSX which none of the others have. One caveat with this receiver is that it only has Audyssy 2EQ, which from what I gather is the weakest form of auto calibration. I also like that it has MHL and bit more power than the others. Also I am coming from an Onkyo so I am kind of familiar with what they offer. Only problem with this one is that I would have to buy used to afford it which means no warrranty, which is pretty scary to me. I have never had receiver break or known anyone who did IRL, but I see plenty of it online so IDK.

post #6 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry no go on the Yahmaha, I am mainly a movie and video game type of guy with a keen interest in PLIIz, which Yahmaha doesn't offer.

post #7 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Well, I liked my Sony better than my Pioneer elite SC-37 so I picked the Sony. I had Denon before as well but the Sony just worked better for me.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post

Sorry no go on the Yahmaha, I am mainly a movie and video game type of guy with a keen interest in PLIIz, which Yahmaha doesn't offer.

Yamaha has presence channels, which is very similar to PLIIz.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
post #9 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They have their own version. They don't like to license stuff. You might be surprised. I recently googled 'best home theater receiver 2013'. Yamaha was #1 or tied for first every link on the first page. Six websites in a row. I posted the results in a similar thread.
post #10 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Man shopping for receivers is frustrating. I typically buy used and refurbished when it comes to electronics and have never had an issue doing so, but when I look at reviews for receivers on Amazon its just plain scary out there! Seems like every other model has half as many people who give it a 5 star rating claiming the receiver completely died on them. I have seen this on Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, and even the famed Denon receivers. I guess this is one item where I will just have to buy new. I guess  I am going withe the Denon x2000 as it is the only affordably priced new product. There is something about it though that just seems kind of boring, it doesn't excite me the same way many of the other brands do. I don't know if it is just poor marketing or just a lack of exiting features, but Denon just doesn't seem to have a fun factor at all. I could order a refubished Onkyo form accessories for less and get a decent price and 1 year warranty, but for the amount of cash I would be dropping and the amount shall I say fragile receivers out there, that doesn't give me all that much piece of of mind. The new leaf extended warrranty they offer seems kind a shady, sounds like they basically will try to buy back your protection plan once you actually need it, exempt themselves from liability claiming that the product is discontinued and parts are no longer available.

post #11 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Man shopping for receivers is frustrating. I typically buy used and refurbished when it comes to electronics and have never had an issue doing so, but when I look at reviews for receivers on Amazon its just plain scary out there! Seems like every other model has half as many people who give it a 5 star rating claiming the receiver completely died on them. I have seen this on Pioneer, Onkyo, Sony, and even the famed Denon receivers. I guess this is one item where I will just have to buy new. I guess  I am going withe the Denon x2000 as it is the only affordably priced new product. There is something about it though that just seems kind of boring, it doesn't excite me the same way many of the other brands do. I don't know if it is just poor marketing or just a lack of exiting features, but Denon just doesn't seem to have a fun factor at all. I could order a refubished Onkyo form accessories for less and get a decent price and 1 year warranty, but for the amount of cash I would be dropping and the amount shall I say fragile receivers out there, that doesn't give me all that much piece of of mind. The new leaf extended warrranty they offer seems kind a shady, sounds like they basically will try to buy back your protection plan once you actually need it, exempt themselves from liability claiming that the product is discontinued and parts are no longer available.

This is why you should consider Yamaha receivers. They have a great reputation for reliability and sound quality is excellent.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

post #12 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post

They have their own version. They don't like to license stuff. You might be surprised. I recently googled 'best home theater receiver 2013'. Yamaha was #1 or tied for first every link on the first page. Six websites in a row. I posted the results in a similar thread.

You know I have a Yahmaha HTR-5840 that was handy down from my dad who used it for several years before me. I have been using it for at least 5 years, it is hooked up to my computer via multichannel analog inputs and is just being used as an amp to drive some Klisch Quintet III's, with my soundcard doing all the audio processing. It still works great, maybe I should look at the Yahmahas...

post #13 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You know I have a Yahmaha HTR-5840 that was handy down from my dad who used it for several years before me. I have been using it for at least 5 years, it is hooked up to my computer via multichannel analog inputs and is just being used as an amp to drive some Klisch Quintet III's, with my soundcard doing all the audio processing. It still works great, maybe I should look at the Yahmahas...

I was unsure of Yamaha myself. My father convinced me I should pick one up last week and now I'm a fanboy. I wanted Marantz, but I wouldn't trade my Yamaha in for one now that I have it. I am thrilled with the way it sounds. Much better than the Pioneer I had before.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

post #14 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't know if it is just poor marketing or just a lack of exiting features, but Denon just doesn't seem to have a fun factor at all. I could order a refubished Onkyo form accessories for less and get a decent price and 1 year warranty, but for the amount of cash I would be dropping and the amount shall I say fragile receivers out there, that doesn't give me all that much piece of of mind.

Well if you want some excitement get the refurb Onkyo and wait for the HDMI ports to die. Then you'll get excited when you can't use it.

What features make you excited and give a fun factor?

I just want a receiver that works and the 3 Denon's I own have never had any problems.

Afro GT
post #15 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Lol yeah, not exactly the excitement I am looking for. I guess the main feature of the Onkyo that is exciting to me is the Audyssey DSX, and PLIIz. I also like that is so many speaker connects, which would allow me to play around with a bunch of different surround sound configurations. But yeah in the long run I  will eventually get tired of playing with the receiver and just want it to work for the few hours I spend each day watching TV and playing video games. Right now though I am just getting into home theater and want something I can play around with. Which means extra listening modes etc., and networking features and control from a smartphone.

post #16 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

I want a receiver that can double has a toy, lol.

post #17 of 33 Old 05-01-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I guess the main feature of the Onkyo that is exciting to me is the Audyssey DSX, and PLIIz

The Denon has PLIIz but not DSX. You'll have to step up to the X3000 for that feature.

Afro GT
post #18 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want a receiver that can double has a toy, lol.
Then you need a 11.2 receiver. Yamaha has all kinds of sound modes you can play with.
Then put it back on normal dolby digital for the most part.
post #19 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Then you need a 11.2 receiver. Yamaha has all kinds of sound modes you can play with.
Then put it back on normal dolby digital for the most part.

Exactly I am looking for what I guess you would call a 7.2/11.2 receiver, it has 11.2 speaker outs, but can only actually utilize 7.2 of them at a time. I still don't really want to go Yahmaha route, I know they are a quality brand, but I really would rather get Audyssy DSX, and PLIIz over Speaker Presence. It seems the Presence listening mode is more for music and creating an acoustic stage than for expanding a surround sound field and making sounds easier to localize.

Staying in my price range that seems to limit me mainly to Onkyo and Pioneer. Though I have just about given up on Onkyo. Way too many reports of HDMI board failures for me to go that route. This is something which completely boggles my mind, how can they produce receivers year after year that all suffer from the same issue? I still have one of theirs on my eye though, the TX-NR717. It doesn't seem to suffer from issue but it is only a 2012 model meaning most people have probably only had it for about a year or two, maybe not long enough for the problem to manifest itself.

In the mean time I already ordered a Denon x2000, the Denons are so hyped on this board and the price was just right, and it was New, and I was tired of looking, lol. Twelve hours later though, I changed my mind, and decided I shouldn't settle for something I am not absolutely in love with and tried to cancel the amazon order. It was too late to cancel but they said I could refuse the package when it arrives. So basically I am just going to keep looking, if I don't find something better by the time the Denon arrive I will just stick with the Denon, its a safe choice, has Mult eq XT which is a step up from most of the other recievers, and from what I understand helps alot with tuning the subwoofer. I always have a lot of trouble getting the sub to a level that I like for all programs and sources. I have the sub right next to the couch and find myself constantly reaching over and adjusting the gain knob. It also has the PLiiz so I can hook up some front heights, I just wish it had the option to hook up surround backs at the same time as well.

post #20 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

True 11.2 receivers are very expensive. Denon makes a fine product, but audyssey xt is way over hyped. Follow my link in post #3. It shows that audyssey xt does not eq the subwoofer output. XT32 does eq the subwoofer. XT tries to mess up the highs and does nothing for the bass. Best left off. Onkyo dumped audyssey xt. Weak ypao is actually slightly better than xt. They both suck for room eq. Good for setting speaker distance and level.
post #21 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I think the Denon X2000 has by far the highest starting MSRP of those choices, doesn't it? Suggests it's in a higher bracket of receiver.

BTW - I have a Pioneer VSX-42, which is very similar to the VSX-1023 (it's basically a VSX-1022), and it does just fine. What I do miss on it though is the ability to completely manually set eq curves for all channels. All it has is the option to take what MCACC gives you, or set a simple Treble and Bass control. I imagine the VSX-1023 is the same way.
post #22 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

True 11.2 receivers are very expensive. Denon makes a fine product, but audyssey xt is way over hyped. Follow my link in post #3. It shows that audyssey xt does not eq the subwoofer output. XT32 does eq the subwoofer. XT tries to mess up the highs and does nothing for the bass. Best left off. Onkyo dumped audyssey xt. Weak ypao is actually slightly better than xt. They both suck for room eq. Good for setting speaker distance and level.

Man your totally ruining my Audyssey placebo effect, JK. But looking through the X2000's Amazon reviews kind of reflects the over hyping of Audyssey XT, and definitely reflects the info from the link you posted. Many people complained that running the Audyssey calibration resulted in making their high-ends very harsh, and that they would either need to turn down the treble to counter harshness or completely disable the Audyssey Equalizer.

I have looked into Protection Plans from Square Trade, and they seem to be very good, and if purchased from Amazon very affordable. I can get a 3 year warranty for a used $400 dollar receiver for only $40. So I am not going to let fears of HDMI board failures on Onkyo's products discourage me too much. I figure if it breaks after 3 years it will give me an opportunity to upgrade when the wife might otherwise object.

So right now I am mainly looking at either the Onkyo TX-NR709, or the Onkyo TX-NR717, these are almost identical with the chief differences between the two being that the 709 has Audyssey Mult EQ XT while the 717 only has 2EQ, but the 717 seems much less prone to HDMI board problems. To illustrate the 709 has 5 star to 1 star ratio on amazon reviews of 54:25 vs. the 709's 136:12 ratio. Also the 717 would cost about $50 more but comes with the microphone, where the 709 does not come with a Mic. I have a YPAO mic, but I don't think I can use that for an Audyssesy calibration so I would have to buy a mic for the 709, so I guess they would cost about the same factoring that in.

Adding in cost of 3 year warranty, tax, and shipping either Onkyo model would cost about $50 more than the Denon. I think I am going to get the Onkyo TX-NR-717 for aforementioned reasons. Anyone know why this would be a terrible decision. Remember the main reason I want the Onkyo is for the 11 speaker outs allowing for a wide range speaker configuration options. (I have a set klipsch quintet iii's  that are being under utilized as computer speakers) I could hijack these from the computer for the HT and just fall back to a set of logitech 5.1 computer speakers I have for the computer. (I do all my serious PC gaming and video on the HT anyway)

Also thanks to everyone who has contributed, its nice hearing other peoples opinions, and writing down my own helps organize my thoughts on all this.

post #23 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyrees View Post

I think the Denon X2000 has by far the highest starting MSRP of those choices, doesn't it? Suggests it's in a higher bracket of receiver.

BTW - I have a Pioneer VSX-42, which is very similar to the VSX-1023 (it's basically a VSX-1022), and it does just fine. What I do miss on it though is the ability to completely manually set eq curves for all channels. All it has is the option to take what MCACC gives you, or set a simple Treble and Bass control. I imagine the VSX-1023 is the same way.

MSRP for Denon x2000 is $700, Onkyo TX-NR626 is $700, and the Sony and Pioneer are both in the $500 rage, but I actually probably have compared the dn1040, and the 1123k for sony and pioneer respectively as they are more of what I was interested in, but unlike the Denon and Onkyo these receivers haven't dropped from their oringal MSRP very much and are still selling in the $600 region, so for my purposes those models are out of the question. So yeah the Denon and the Onkyo are the best value based off their orignal MSRP.

post #24 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

MSRP for Denon x2000 is $700, Onkyo TX-NR626 is $700, and the Sony and Pioneer are both in the $500 rage, but I actually probably have compared the dn1040, and the 1123k for sony and pioneer respectively as they are more of what I was interested in, but unlike the Denon and Onkyo these receivers haven't dropped from their oringal MSRP very much and are still selling in the $600 region, so for my purposes those models are out of the question. So yeah the Denon and the Onkyo are the best value based off their orignal MSRP.

Help me out because I'm a little confused. What features do Denon and Onkyo have that Yamaha does not? Also, if you go Onkyo, you might be alright as far as reliability is concerned if you give it plenty of space for ventilation. Onkyo receivers run hot and heat kills electronics.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

post #25 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Man your totally ruining my Audyssey placebo effect, JK. But looking through the X2000's Amazon reviews kind of reflects the over hyping of Audyssey XT, and definitely reflects the info from the link you posted. Many people complained that running the Audyssey calibration resulted in making their high-ends very harsh, and that they would either need to turn down the treble to counter harshness or completely disable the Audyssey Equalizer.

Hardly. Of the 39 reviews, 35 gave it 4 stars or 5 stars and only 3 spoke of not liking Audyssey. Also note that speaker harshness can often times be resolved by toeing in the FL/FR speakers towards the main listening position. The take away is that the vast majority of the Amazon reviewers are very satisfied with their X2000 purchase. smile.gif

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #26 of 33 Old 05-02-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I am still looking for a graph of audyssey xt. Thiss is it so far. Only 22hz thru 120hz so mostly subwoofer output. It does eq some, but not much and not that great. Far from flat. XT32 is better. As far as denon x2000 sounding harsh in the highs. 2 possible reasons. The xt may be messing it up to and audible level. And the xt32 I measured was a pretty flat line all the way. Audyssey flat and reference were almost identical so that doesn't help.

The 717 is a little unique in having 11 speaker posts with only 7 channel amp. If you can get that for the $400 or less Amazon has on the x2000. And it is bug ridden Onkyo. Right up there with Bose cubes for value. And 2EQ? ouch. Just get a receiver that does 9 channel or swap a few wires and call it good. If you are going to place speakers in the room might as well use them.

post #27 of 33 Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Well no matter how many times I try to steer the the thread towards my yearning for the Onkyo's feature packed yet possibly unreliable/buggy product, everyone insists I go with the Denon. Factoring in I would have to pay about $480 to get the Onkyo tx-nr717, used, with 3 year 3rd party warranty vs. only $400 new, 3 year manufacturer's warranty for the denon. Yet the Onkyo is undoubtedly more feature packed, with MHL, Audyssy DSX,  multiple speakers outs, 2 HDMI outs, multiple optical inputs, overlaid GUI, insta prevue, multichannel preouts, and THX certification. Also from my previous experience with Onkyo, I know it can do other little things I like like assigning specific listening modes to source types, and select individual crossover points for speakers manually.

So my preference is obviously the Onkyo which most people would disagree with understandably, but this is still a quality receiver no? Would not my needs be met fairly well by either? Comparing the Amazon reviews of the two products both have ratings score of 4.4, with Onkyo having a considerably larger number of reviews, so it would seem the vast majority of owners are fairly satisfied with their purchases and I see no reason why I wouldn't be either.

post #28 of 33 Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well no matter how many times I try to steer the the thread towards my yearning for the Onkyo's feature packed yet possibly unreliable/buggy product, everyone insists I go with the Denon. Factoring in I would have to pay about $480 to get the Onkyo tx-nr717, used, with 3 year 3rd party warranty vs. only $400 new, 3 year manufacturer's warranty for the denon. Yet the Onkyo is undoubtedly more feature packed, with MHL, Audyssy DSX,  multiple speakers outs, 2 HDMI outs, multiple optical inputs, overlaid GUI, insta prevue, multichannel preouts, and THX certification. Also from my previous experience with Onkyo, I know it can do other little things I like like assigning specific listening modes to source types, and select individual crossover points for speakers manually.

So my preference is obviously the Onkyo which most people would disagree with understandably, but this is still a quality receiver no? Would not my needs be met fairly well by either? Comparing the Amazon reviews of the two products both have ratings score of 4.4, with Onkyo having a considerably larger number of reviews, so it would seem the vast majority of owners are fairly satisfied with their purchases and I see no reason why I wouldn't be either.

I think you know what you want, and even if you get something else you will still want the Onkyo so go for it.

THX certification is a marketing tool. Yes, it means the equipment is up to minimum standards in a lab, but your home environment is different and products that don't have the THX logo can surpass units that do (I think Yamaha, at one time, claimed their testing was more stringent than THX so they didn't bother with it). I believe if you use Audyssey or any other form of calibration, you aren't in compliance with the THX standard anyway.

Personally, I would choose quality over quantity (within your budget), but that does not mean the Onkyo won't be good for you. Just make sure you give it plenty of space for ventilation to lessen the chances of frying the HDMI board. Also, check out Accessories4less.com for Onky refurbs.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

post #29 of 33 Old 05-03-2014, 12:35 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Go with what you prefer. smile.gif

post #30 of 33 Old 05-03-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Well guys I think I'm sold on the Denon finally. For past few years I have been using a Yamaha HTR-5840, hooked up to my computer via multichannel analog inputs,  to power a set of Klipsch Quintet III's, and Logitech subwoofer left over from a computer speaker set (5.25" subwoofer, don't laugh I know its pretty sad to have that as my sub, but in a small office it actually provided decent bass, well maybe not decent quality bass, but a decent amount of it anyway lol). Anyway I have only ever used this system for playing video games on my computer but it always performed admirably . Then recently I purchased a new 60" TV and decided to get a surround sound system for it. I purchased a set Fluance SV10 5.1 speakers, a BIC V1220 subwoofer, and an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver off of EBAY. I thought I would be able to stream Spotify and internet radio off my PlayStation 4, but sadly the PS4 only allows you to use Sony's Music Unlimited app. So I decided to upgrade to a Network Receiver, and sold the Onkyo TX-SR705 on Ebay. So for the past week I have been using the old Yamaha  that was hooked up to my computer to power my home theater setup. I just have everything plugged into the TV via HDMI and am running a Optical cable from the TV to the receivers optical input (the only digital input it has).

Point of the story is that in the past week I have been using the Yamaha I feel like I have been getting better sound than I did from the Onkyo. The Yamaha is a much older 6.1 model than the Onkyo and has not set-up mic calibration or on screen display at all. I had run the Audyssey Calibration on the Onkyo but I always had trouble with sub output. The sub always seemed to play too high of a frequency causing it to kind hum and buzz, and play even when sub output really was not needed. I found my self constantly adjusting the gain on the subwoofer and never really found setting I liked.

Also the Onkyo at high volumes would sometimes play dialog in way that would  peak to a painful volume for a brief instant. I thought this was just a result of having the volume too loud or maybe that my speakers weren't high quality enough to handle that volume and retain good control. (The speakers aren't the most expensive brand but they are suppose to be pretty good quality, Fluance SV10). However, after using this Yamaha for the past week I haven't experienced either issue and feel it just produces a much more natural smooth sound overall. I just have all the gain values on the receiver set to 0, subwoofer included, and have the gain on the subwoofer set 12 o'clock with the subs crossover disabled. I have been getting very powerful bass but very little unwanted bass hum, or buzz.  From all the responses on this thread it seems Yamaha and Denon tend to have the best sound quality, and ultimately that is what is most important. My experience between the Onkyo and the Yamaha tends to reflect that so I think I will go with the Denon. I would consider Yahama but it doesnt have PLIIz and that is important to me.

Plus one feature the Denon has over the Onkyo is Airplay, and is more likely to be utilized than many of the features the Onkyo has to offer, but damn if I still don't wish Onkyo and Denon could get to get together and have a baby, a feature packed receiver with superb sound quality and reliability.

Anyways thanks for all the responses, the Denon will arrive Tuesday and I will be sure to come back and let y'all know how it works out.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page