Official Sony STR-DN850/1050 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 280 Old 05-25-2014, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13

Dustin,

I too am in the Vancouver area. Can you advise where you bought the STR-DN1050? Was it on sale?

Regards,

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 280 Old 05-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am happy with my Sony receiver but the FM tuner section is nasty. We had to modify the out door FM antenna down to one element and turn it away from local towers. This receiver overloads and has bad selectivity. Very poor FM section. Plus i must also drop the signal to this receiver 10db's lower. My Tivoli radio in the kitchen is on same antenna with full signal from a 2 way splitter and selectivity is great. Is this this receiver in need of service or did Sony not give a crap about the FM section?
post #33 of 280 Old 05-25-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My opinion is for several years AM and FM tuners have been one of those places companies have cut back on in order to meet a price point.

Listening to local sports broadcasting on AM radio is endangered.
preludejtstyle and SleepyEyez like this.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #34 of 280 Old 05-25-2014, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty24 View Post

I got the STR-DN1050 over the weekend. Hooked up my PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, and Sony BDP-S6200. All are working great. I have the Sony KDL-55W900a TV.

I previously had the Pioneer VSX-1121-K and had major problems because it didn't pass the correct RGB value through each source. The Wii U requires RGB Limited and it would force RGB full all the time.

The 1050 is passing every signal correctly.

I wasn't sure what do set the HDMI Audio delay setting to. I changed it to HDMI Auto (can't remember what the default was but it wasn't on Auto).

Smitty, I have all the EXACT same equipment as you minus the xbox one and the 1050. I've been looking at the 1040 for a while but never pulled the trigger. Glad to hear you are enjoying the 1050. I may grab one soon. Do you feel your input lag when passing the signal through the 1050 is still around 20ms? (Don't know if you play FPS's).
post #35 of 280 Old 05-26-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerial1 View Post

I am happy with my Sony receiver but the FM tuner section is nasty. We had to modify the out door FM antenna down to one element and turn it away from local towers. This receiver overloads and has bad selectivity. Very poor FM section. Plus i must also drop the signal to this receiver 10db's lower. My Tivoli radio in the kitchen is on same antenna with full signal from a 2 way splitter and selectivity is great. Is this this receiver in need of service or did Sony not give a crap about the FM section?

I'd guess the latter - who listens to FM on an AVR nowadays? Obviously you do, but I'd imagine that you're in a very small minority of owners who do. What about streaming your desired FM station(s), is that an option?
post #36 of 280 Old 05-27-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpk248 View Post

Smitty, I have all the EXACT same equipment as you minus the xbox one and the 1050. I've been looking at the 1040 for a while but never pulled the trigger. Glad to hear you are enjoying the 1050. I may grab one soon. Do you feel your input lag when passing the signal through the 1050 is still around 20ms? (Don't know if you play FPS's).

It "feels" fine to me...sadly I have no way to test the input lag on the PS4. I previously had my PS4 hooked up directly to the TV and it feels exactly the same, no noticeable lag. I do have the TV on Game mode, of course.
post #37 of 280 Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post

Dustin,

I too am in the Vancouver area. Can you advise where you bought the STR-DN1050? Was it on sale?

Airport way Best Buy. I had points to use up, but it wasn't on sale.
post #38 of 280 Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kon5ad View Post

Has anyone figured out NFC yet?

./K
found it after a little searching. Works fine. There is a small nfc symbol near the power switch.
post #39 of 280 Old 05-27-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post

Airport way Best Buy. I had points to use up, but it wasn't on sale.

Can you tell me what they wanted for it price wise?

By tomorrow morning I need to decide if I'm going to return the STR-DN1040 I bought at Future Shop almost a month ago, and wait until I can get a deal on a STR-DN1050. Or just keep the STR-DN1040 and live with the small issues that bug me (no native FLAC Streaming, very limited source available to Zone 2 RCA outputs (no digital), etc.). These are small things but I know the STR-DN1050 can do them no problem. On the STR-DN1050 side I hear the remote is not as complete as the STR-DN1040 but some folks like it better as it's less complicated.

Thanks for a quick assist.

Regards,

Jim:cool: 

Regards,

Jim
post #40 of 280 Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Having moved up to the 1050 from the 1040 I am happy with the choice. However I seem to have a problem managing the bass output. I am using the KLIPSCH QUINTET SL speaker system with A KLIPSCH SUB 12 subwoofer and using the engineer calibration the bass seems much louder than need be so I adjust it about 5db lower than the calibration sets it at. Is anyone else experiencing this?
-Jim- likes this.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, Sony BDP-S6200, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #41 of 280 Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM

I just saw the STR-DN1050 on Sale for $599.99 at NCIX (my favorite computer store) but it's on back order. I'm going to box up the STR-DN1040 now so it's ready to return in the morning. For the extra money, I'll be a bit happier with the simple networking.

Regards,

Jim
post #42 of 280 Old 05-28-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Can you tell me what they wanted for it price wise?

By tomorrow morning I need to decide if I'm going to return the STR-DN1040 I bought at Future Shop almost a month ago, and wait until I can get a deal on a STR-DN1050. Or just keep the STR-DN1040 and live with the small issues that bug me (no native FLAC Streaming, very limited source available to Zone 2 RCA outputs (no digital), etc.). These are small things but I know the STR-DN1050 can do them no problem. On the STR-DN1050 side I hear the remote is not as complete as the STR-DN1040 but some folks like it better as it's less complicated.

Thanks for a quick assist.

Regards,

smile.gif You're in the "other" Vancouver. I'm in Vancouver, WA. Personally I would get the 1050.
post #43 of 280 Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post

Having moved up to the 1050 from the 1040 I am happy with the choice. However I seem to have a problem managing the bass output. I am using the KLIPSCH QUINTET SL speaker system with A KLIPSCH SUB 12 subwoofer and using the engineer calibration the bass seems much louder than need be so I adjust it about 5db lower than the calibration sets it at. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have 2 subs out, but I did notice that with the engineer sound, which I don't like. I personally like the flat as it sounded more natural in my room, but raised bass +2 and treble +1.
But this is all subjective as everyone's room and speakers are different.

Just a side note. I use a crown amp and the Sony has no problems pushing it. Might be helpful info for those using pro amps for sub duty.
I thought I would miss the sub eq I had on my Onkyo, but the Sony sounds so good I don't miss it.
post #44 of 280 Old 05-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post

I have 2 subs out, but I did notice that with the engineer sound, which I don't like. I personally like the flat as it sounded more natural in my room, but raised bass +2 and treble +1.
But this is all subjective as everyone's room and speakers are different.

Just a side note. I use a crown amp and the Sony has no problems pushing it. Might be helpful info for those using pro amps for sub duty.
I thought I would miss the sub eq I had on my Onkyo, but the Sony sounds so good I don't miss it.

I tried the flat calibration and so far I like it. Thanks for the advice.

Pioneer SC-1523K, Sony BDP-S6200, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #45 of 280 Old 05-28-2014, 08:08 AM

After playing with the settings some more it seems that leaving the front and center speakers set at the calibration size of large seems to get rid of the " boominess ".

post #46 of 280 Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM

Hi. I just want to know where you bought your STR-DN850. I am from the Philippines and I don't know where to get it. Can you help please?

post #47 of 280 Old 05-30-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am soo happy to heard soo many good things about the STR-DN1050. Mine is currently in transit and should receive it early next week.

My inputs are: PS3, ChromeCast and Minix Neo X7.
Output to Fluance Xl7 Towers, center channel and Bi-Pole Rear.
My TV is an LG 55" LED from last year and its not a smart tv, sorry i dont remember the model number.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!
post #48 of 280 Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM

I took the plunge and ordered the STR-DN1050 from NCIX. However, it's on back order with no known delivery date so far. I'll poke them to day and find out what's up.

Regards,

Regards,

Jim
post #49 of 280 Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:

I took the plunge and ordered the STR-DN1050 from NCIX. However, it's on back order with no known delivery date so far. I'll poke them to day and find out what's up.

Regards,

You and me both......
post #50 of 280 Old 05-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Liked: 11
Hi was wondering if it's somehow possible to watch from one source while listening to another. Eg I'd really like to stream music via bt or airplay while passing the cable video signal to the tv without sound. It would be fine to have the hdmi pass-through on while playing the music from a different source. Any tips would be appreciated.

./K
post #51 of 280 Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 AM

The GUI stopped working! It worked fine last night, but today it doesn't work. Nothing appears on the screen! Did I change a setting somehow?
post #52 of 280 Old 06-02-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon5ad View Post

Hi was wondering if it's somehow possible to watch from one source while listening to another. Eg I'd really like to stream music via bt or airplay while passing the cable video signal to the tv without sound. It would be fine to have the hdmi pass-through on while playing the music from a different source. Any tips would be appreciated.

./K

I have done this with my Onkyo SR804 with an analog audio input and a HDMI video input.  It, and zone 2 wouldn't work with a digital in.

On the Sony, you can try to select a different audio input per video input using the setup menu.  There seems to be many options for this, but some are restricted per input.

With the DN1050, I now can control Pandora over BT from my phone to zone 2 only.  My zone 2 is the bathroom with an old 2x6.5 center and a 10" passive sub.  One of the main reasons in selecting this model.

post #53 of 280 Old 06-03-2014, 08:57 PM

I bought an 1050 tonight. While it was installing the software update, the receiver turned off & didn't turn back on again.

Pretty sure the firmware update died in the middle of the install, any ideas outside of bringing it back?

Matt
post #54 of 280 Old 06-04-2014, 07:58 AM

During the firmware update it appears to shut off but the power/standby light will blink. The firmware update takes a while....mine probably took about 15 minutes. Eventually it turned back on.
post #55 of 280 Old 06-04-2014, 08:04 AM

Lol - You are correct sir! After 15 minutes the display said complete and it started to work again.

Thanks for the heads up.
post #56 of 280 Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 PM

I'm getting my 1050 tomorrow... can't wait

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #57 of 280 Old 06-07-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez View Post

I'm getting my 1050 tomorrow... can't wait

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

got my receiver and she is sooooooo beautiful and better in every way I could imagine.

Update software
Currently running a 3.1 setup

waiting for my towers to come in.

I have one question.
currently i have all my video source going to my tv then a Optical wire to the receiver but can I hook up all my hdmi sources to the receiver without turning on the receiver?
The reason i need this is because its in my living room and wouldn't be using the sourround sound all the time.
post #58 of 280 Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Hi,

Glad to see you got yours. I'm still waiting for mine => it's on "back order" with Sony. What you want to do is called Pass Through. See page 204 of the Manual (OMG that's a lot of pages...379 in total).

MULTI CHANNEL AV RECEIVER

STR-DN1050/STR-DN850

Passing HDMI signals through (Pass Through)

You can output HDMI signals to the TV even when the receiver is in standby mode.

1. Select [Settings] - [HDMI Settings] from the home menu.

2. Select [Pass Through].

3. Select the setting you want.

Auto: The receiver outputs HDMI signals to the TV from the HDMI OUT jack when the TV is turned on while the

receiver is in the standby mode.

Sony recommends this setting if you are using a “BRAVIA” Sync-compatible Sony TV. This setting saves power

in the standby mode compared to the [On] setting.

On (*): The receiver continuously outputs HDMI signals from the HDMI OUT jack when in standby mode.

Off: The receiver does not output HDMI signals when in standby mode.

This setting saves power in the standby mode compared to the [On] setting.

* For USA, Canadian, Mexican, and Australian models only

Note

When the receiver is in standby mode, the (on/standby) indicator on the front panel lights up in amber if [Pass

Through] is set to [On] (*) or [Auto].

When [Auto] is selected, it may take a little more time for the image and sound to be output to the TV than when [On]

is selected (*).

* For USA, Canadian, Mexican, and Australian models only

I am not clear if it passes through any "powered on" HDMI device or (like the previous Sony model STR-DN1040) passes only the last selected HDMI Source through the receiver. If so a workaround is to send an Optical fed signal to the Receiver from your source(s), or in the case of a Cable, or Satellite Box, that only sends in 720P or 1080i;  connect the HDMI to the TV but connect using Component Cables plus a Toslink Optical to the Receiver. That way your STR-DN1050 will upconvert the Video to near 1080P when you want to use your HT setup. I wouldn't do this with a Blu-ray Player, as some of the latest Audio processing is only available via an HDMI connection. In that case use an HDMI Cable and pass through the STR-DN1050 when you don't want to power it on.

I hope this is helpful.   

Regards,

Jim
post #59 of 280 Old 06-11-2014, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Does the STR-DN 1050 have an an screen volume display when adjusting volume? and how is the power output?
post #60 of 280 Old 06-12-2014, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post
Does the STR-DN 1050 have an an screen volume display when adjusting volume? and how is the power output?
Yes it does.

Just picked this up Sunday to go with my new Samsung PN605300. Love it so far.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - STR-DN850 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page