Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Location of full manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Hi,

Glad to see you got yours. I'm still waiting for mine => it's on "back order" with Sony. What you want to do is called Pass Through. See page 204 of the Manual (OMG that's a lot of pages...379 in total).
Do you have a link to an online PDF version of the manual. The only documentation I've found online is only a few pages long. So obviously I'm missing something.

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 329 Old 06-12-2014, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cool

You can thank Typ53b as he posted this a few pages back ;

https://docs.sony.com/release/STR-DN...lpGuide_EN.pdf
post #63 of 329 Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 AM

Quote:
You can thank Typ53b as he posted this a few pages back ;

Thank you. I only started monitoring this thread when I started considering getting an STR-DN1050.
post #64 of 329 Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm looking at replacing my Pioneer VSX-822-K. I've often had to turn up the volume because voices were too quiet, then, bam! Had to lower volume because some explosion or something was too loud.

My old Sony STR-DH700 never had that problem.

I'm hooking it up to an x950B, and feel that another Sony would be a good choice. Just can't decide between the DH-750 and the DN-850.
post #65 of 329 Old 06-13-2014, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrinkley View Post
Yes it does.

Just picked this up Sunday to go with my new Samsung PN605300. Love it so far.
I am so tempted to get the 1050. It's just I'm not to well off with the monies right now. I would love the pass through and love the look of both the receiver and the easy to use interface which was once only available on the ES models. I'm thinking the 850 may be a better buy?
post #66 of 329 Old 06-13-2014, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Currently moving to a new place, and setting up my first actual home theater/audio system.

My setup is going to be a 5.1/TV in the living room, then a 2nd zone(bedroom) with a TV and two in ceiling speakers, and a possibility to add a Projector in the living room in the future.

I had originally bought the Pioneer 1123, but realized that the second zone features were sub-par, especially when compared to the 1050, seeing as it has bluetooth/wifi built in, where as the Pioneer is slightly misleading and needs adapter.

I am mainly going to be streaming audio from my phone/laptop, and watching TV/Movies from my Xbox One or Uverse, once it is setup. The house was prewired for a bunch of stuff, CAT, coax, and UTP coming in at the TV locations, although I am meeting up with the people who wired it this afternoon to see exactly what they were doing.

So I returned my 1123 for the 1050, but they were out of stock, so it should arrive next Tuesday. I'll snap some pictures of the DSLR, and hopefully once I get moved in, get my speakers, and get everything situated, be able to give more details on how well the 2nd zone functions, and a mini-review from someone completely new to this whole world.

Also, Best Buy had it for $550 on sale this week.

Last edited by narphenal; 06-13-2014 at 08:12 AM.
post #67 of 329 Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narphenal View Post
Currently moving to a new place, and setting up my first actual home theater/audio system.

My setup is going to be a 5.1/TV in the living room, then a 2nd zone(bedroom) with a TV and two in ceiling speakers, and a possibility to add a Projector in the living room in the future.

I had originally bought the Pioneer 1123, but realized that the second zone features were sub-par, especially when compared to the 1050, seeing as it has bluetooth/wifi built in, where as the Pioneer is slightly misleading and needs adapter.

I am mainly going to be streaming audio from my phone/laptop, and watching TV/Movies from my Xbox One or Uverse, once it is setup. The house was prewired for a bunch of stuff, CAT, coax, and UTP coming in at the TV locations, although I am meeting up with the people who wired it this afternoon to see exactly what they were doing.

So I returned my 1123 for the 1050, but they were out of stock, so it should arrive next Tuesday. I'll snap some pictures of the DSLR, and hopefully once I get moved in, get my speakers, and get everything situated, be able to give more details on how well the 2nd zone functions, and a mini-review from someone completely new to this whole world.

Also, Best Buy had it for $550 on sale this week.
The lowering of price to about $540-550 became rather widespread in the last week, from many vendors, including Sony direct.
post #68 of 329 Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
Do you have a link to an online PDF version of the manual. The only documentation I've found online is only a few pages long. So obviously I'm missing something.

Thanks, Mike
post #69 of 329 Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrinkley View Post
You are welcome. What makes AVSforum so great is how users help each other. I had seen the online version of the help manual but I had missed that there was a downloadable PDF version. Having that so I can put it on my tablet is very useful :-)

Mike
post #70 of 329 Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear all, I am hesitating between the 850 and the 1050. What are the main differences except the amplifier power, nb of hdmi, the size and the price?
Thanks for your help. Frankie
post #71 of 329 Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Cool Moved from a STR-DN1040 to a STR-DN1050

Quote:
I just saw the STR-DN1050 on Sale for $599.99 at NCIX (my favorite computer store) but it's on back order. I'm going to box up the STR-DN1040 now so it's ready to return in the morning. For the extra money, I'll be a bit happier with the simple networking.

Folks,

I gave up on NCIX as they had no plans to deliver it 3 weeks after order. I saw it was on Sale for the same price ($599.00) at the Sony Style Store downtown, so I bought it there yesterday afternoon. (The last one.) I've gotten it mostly set up but haven't tested a lot of things (AM/FM Tuner, Zone 2, Up Scaling Component Video, etc.,).

I did find one disappointing thing that I didn't see with the STR-DN1040. The USB connection wimps out and won't play my portable Hard Drives. At least this one won't. It will play USB Sticks carrying MP3 & FLAC Files => so that's good. I've got all my tunes backed up on a couple drives and it was neat being able to just plug 'em in and go.

I did get the network set up and the firmware upgraded. But so far it's like the STR-DN1040 as I can't figure out how to play FLAC Files via the DLNA connection. That, and the Zone 2 capabilities of the STR-DN1050 were the reasons I returned the STR-DN1040 last month to go for the 1050.

The setup is marginally better than the STR-DN1040 as the remote , even though it's dumbed down, is far more intuitive than before. I'll report back on how this checks out. One thing nice is the return policy of the Sony Style Store is 30 days in case I need to move up again. I was thinking the new STR-DN1050 would be everything the STR-DN1040 was plus more. I wasn't prepared for anything less (like the lack of playing hard Drives via USB). I hope it's a glitch...
post #72 of 329 Old 06-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo72 View Post
does the str-dn 1050 have an an screen volume display when adjusting volume? And how is the power output?
yes
post #73 of 329 Old 06-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie666 View Post
Dear all, I am hesitating between the 850 and the 1050. What are the main differences except the amplifier power, nb of hdmi, the size and the price?
Thanks for your help. Frankie
Depends...

Like the great star of TOP GEAR said... POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR, Jeremy Clarkson

Personally I got the 1050 because I will be running front towers which will be bi-amp and bi-pole speakers in the rear.. so for my setup i needed the power.

In any case, which amp you go with you will fall in love with it... its soo clean at higher volume.
post #74 of 329 Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez View Post
Depends...

Like the great star of TOP GEAR said... POWERRRRRRRRRRRRR, Jeremy Clarkson

Personally I got the 1050 because I will be running front towers which will be bi-amp and bi-pole speakers in the rear.. so for my setup i needed the power.

In any case, which amp you go with you will fall in love with it... its soo clean at higher volume.
In application, the power difference is negligible. The 850's rated power into a 6ohm load with 2 channels driven is 95w per channel, the 1050 is 100w - insignificant. The other power ratings you see are marketing numbers. The situation with all channels driven will likely be even less of a difference.
post #75 of 329 Old 06-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Cool FLAC Files via the DLNA connection

Quote:
Folks,

I gave up on NCIX as they had no plans to deliver it 3 weeks after order. I saw it was on Sale for the same price ($599.00) at the Sony Style Store downtown, so I bought it there yesterday afternoon. (The last one.) I've gotten it mostly set up but haven't tested a lot of things (AM/FM Tuner, Zone 2, Up Scaling Component Video, etc.,).

I did find one disappointing thing that I didn't see with the STR-DN1040. The USB connection wimps out and won't play my portable Hard Drives. At least this one won't. It will play USB Sticks carrying MP3 & FLAC Files => so that's good. I've got all my tunes backed up on a couple drives and it was neat being able to just plug 'em in and go.

I did get the network set up and the firmware upgraded. But so far it's like the STR-DN1040 as I can't figure out how to play FLAC Files via the DLNA connection. That, and the Zone 2 capabilities of the STR-DN1050 were the reasons I returned the STR-DN1040 last month to go for the 1050.

The setup is marginally better than the STR-DN1040 as the remote , even though it's dumbed down, is far more intuitive than before. I'll report back on how this checks out. One thing nice is the return policy of the Sony Style Store is 30 days in case I need to move up again. I was thinking the new STR-DN1050 would be everything the STR-DN1040 was plus more. I wasn't prepared for anything less (like the lack of playing hard Drives via USB). I hope it's a glitch...

From last night's effort => The Zone 2 capabilities of the STR-DN1050 worked flawlessly once enabled. So we are good to go there for summer BBQs - whenever summer gets here...

The USB connection issue first wouldn't read any of my USB sticks (I tried 8 - I use them in the Car) but after the Firmware upgrade it plays them all - USB 2 or USB 3. But still no joy with either USB Hard Drive- USB 2 or USB 3. I'm thinking they weaseled out on the power supply too much but we'll see. I don't think they are the wrong format but I'll check. (It only plays FAT and not NTFS formatted storage.)

If I can get the 1050 to play FLAC Files via the DLNA connection, without degradation, then the Hard Drive issue is lessened. I figure I'm such a noob at DLNA I must have something wrong with my D-Link 655 Router, or the Firewall setup in Symantec Endpoint Protection. I've still got to check out AM/FM Tuner, Up Scaling Component Video, etc., but I did connect our Cable Set top Box via component & optical to the 1050 and got it playing AC3. (I left the HDMI connected to the TV to keep it simple for my wife to watch TV without the need for the 1050. She is not a fan of "surround sound".)

I'd appreciate it someone could chime in on the "proper" setup for the DLNA connection as I'm poking around in the dark.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim
post #76 of 329 Old 06-19-2014, 10:59 PM

Cool

Quote:
From last night's effort => The Zone 2 capabilities of the STR-DN1050 worked flawlessly once enabled. So we are good to go there for summer BBQs - whenever summer gets here...

The USB connection issue first wouldn't read any of my USB sticks (I tried 8 - I use them in the Car) but after the Firmware upgrade it plays them all - USB 2 or USB 3. But still no joy with either USB Hard Drive- USB 2 or USB 3. I'm thinking they weaseled out on the power supply too much but we'll see. I don't think they are the wrong format but I'll check. (It only plays FAT and not NTFS formatted storage.)

If I can get the 1050 to play FLAC Files via the DLNA connection, without degradation, then the Hard Drive issue is lessened. I figure I'm such a noob at DLNA I must have something wrong with my D-Link 655 Router, or the Firewall setup in Symantec Endpoint Protection. I've still got to check out AM/FM Tuner, Up Scaling Component Video, etc., but I did connect our Cable Set top Box via component & optical to the 1050 and got it playing AC3. (I left the HDMI connected to the TV to keep it simple for my wife to watch TV without the need for the 1050. She is not a fan of "surround sound".)

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim

11:00 PM Edit -
It didn't take too long to figure out the "proper" setup for the DLNA connection in regards to FLAC Files. I mistakenly thought that the decoder for the files resided in the 1050, and as long as the file resided on the PC, and the 1050 was on the network, it should function.

In reality you need a codec resident for Windows Media Player to use, as well as the File associations set correctly for it to function. You also need to associate the Library Folders as well for the 1050. I was using VLC Player for my FLAC Tunes, and the Codec for FLAC is not in the default install of Win 7 64 Media Player. I downloaded a new Shark007 Codec pack just to be sure I was up to date. Now all the FLAC Tunes Play flawlessly. Another item off the checklist!
SleepyEyez likes this.
post #77 of 329 Old 06-19-2014, 11:30 PM

11:30 Update
I took one of my Portable USB Hard Drives and it was formatted NTFS (Windows 7 default) On page 120 of the manual it says : "The receiver is unable to read data in NTFS format. "

So I formatted it as exFat and put a few Files & Folders on it but no joy.

Time for Bed...

Regards,

Jim

"
post #78 of 329 Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typ53b View Post
Airplay isn't working for me - my iDevices don't see the Sony AVR. I'm on a wired connection to my router - is that the problem? Does the Sony need to be on WiFi only? It's on the same network either way, but... ?
I just got an STR-DN1050 and am using a wired connection. Airplay worked right away for me.
post #79 of 329 Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I'd appreciate it someone could chime in on the "proper" setup for the DLNA connection as I'm poking around in the dark.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim
I finally got around to testing with a spare USB hard drive I had around, a 500 Gb Seagate. When the manual says it must be formatted as FAT, they mean it. With a MBR partition scheme, and 1 partition (all I tried), it was able to find and play various music files I had loaded. When it had any other format (such as exFAT, typical of external USB sticks), it did not work. I didn't have a spare external USB stick to use for a similar test, I'll likely do that later.

Update - I found a spare flash drive and confirmed the above, it works just fine with a FAT (FAT32) format, but is not recognized if formatted as exFAT. Many flash drives come with either exFAT or NTFS formatting these days, as they are designed for larger drives. I would hope that Sony in a firmware update would add exFAT support, at least, due to how common that has become. NTFS support would be nice, but that might be asking a bit much.
-Jim- likes this.

Last edited by mhobart; 06-20-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added testing
post #80 of 329 Old 06-20-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What zone 2 capabilities are you using. I returned mine because it does not allow digital sources to go to my zone 2 (speakers outside). Gonna get a denon instead. x1100 and 2100 allow you to put digital outside if its the same source as inside. x3100 for independent sources so I prob will get that.

Quote:
Folks,

post #81 of 329 Old 06-20-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
11:30 Update
I took one of my Portable USB Hard Drives and it was formatted NTFS (Windows 7 default) On page 120 of the manual it says : "The receiver is unable to read data in NTFS format. "

So I formatted it as exFat and put a few Files & Folders on it but no joy.

Time for Bed...

Regards,

Jim

"
The 1050 only supports FAT/FAT32 drives (hard or flash). That is stated in the manual and I've verified that. exFAT is widely used in flash drives so I hope that the restriction is removed in some future firmware update. NTFS support would be nice but I am not optimistic that will happen.
post #82 of 329 Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackztor View Post
What zone 2 capabilities are you using. I returned mine because it does not allow digital sources to go to my zone 2 (speakers outside). Gonna get a denon instead. x1100 and 2100 allow you to put digital outside if its the same source as inside. x3100 for independent sources so I prob will get that.

Hi hackztor,

I think you are jumping the gun here. The STR-DN1050, unlike it's predecessor the STR-DN1040 allows all audio sources to be played in Zone 2. I only enabled the Zone 2 (RCA) fixed outputs (Power => On - Input => Source - Line Out =>Fixed) and didn't try the Speaker Leads. I returned the STR-DN1040 I bought (partially) because it wouldn't do this one function. (It was by design not by a fault in the Receiver.) I only tried my Network Feed and USB Sticks as I'm only interested in Tunes for the backyard via a wireless setup I have. It worked great. Maybe you didn't have it enabled in settings? The default has it turned off.

Regards,

Jim
mhobart likes this.
post #83 of 329 Old 06-20-2014, 11:20 PM

Cool 11:15 Update

Quote:
The 1050 only supports FAT/FAT32 drives (hard or flash). That is stated in the manual and I've verified that. exFAT is widely used in flash drives so I hope that the restriction is removed in some future firmware update. NTFS support would be nice but I am not optimistic that will happen.
Thanks for the post mhobart,

I didn't see any reference to only supporting FAT/FAT32. Can you advise what page so I can highlight it? I took a 160Gig USB Hard Drive, and Formatted it to FAT32. (Windows 7 doesn't have a good way to format FAT, so I grabbed a free application called Fat32format which does it in seconds. If you use the Command Prompt is takes a long time. Google it if you are interested.)

Anyway, after reformatting and putting on some FLAC Tunes, the portable hard drive tested great. I'm still surprised the STR-DN1040 didn't seem to care => but the STR-DN1050 definitely does. At least we've got a work around. It would be great if Sony did allow for NTFS as that's pretty much the standard these days...It seems strange to be mucking about with FAT Formatting...

I synchronised my iPhone 4S to the 1050 via Bluetooth, and it played tunes though it routinely. I downloaded the SongPal App and it is impressive. This Receiver has so many ways to play with it. Very Cool!

I've still got a few more things to check out but this definitely looks like a keeper.

Regards,

Jim
post #84 of 329 Old 06-21-2014, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the post mhobart,

I didn't see any reference to only supporting FAT/FAT32. Can you advise what page so I can highlight it? I took a 160Gig USB Hard Drive, and Formatted it to FAT32. (Windows 7 doesn't have a good way to format FAT, so I grabbed a free application called Fat32format which does it in seconds. If you use the Command Prompt is takes a long time. Google it if you are interested.)

Anyway, after reformatting and putting on some FLAC Tunes, the portable hard drive tested great. I'm still surprised the STR-DN1040 didn't seem to care => but the STR-DN1050 definitely does. At least we've got a work around. It would be great if Sony did allow for NTFS as that's pretty much the standard these days...It seems strange to be mucking about with FAT Formatting...

I synchronised my iPhone 4S to the 1050 via Bluetooth, and it played tunes though it routinely. I downloaded the SongPal App and it is impressive. This Receiver has so many ways to play with it. Very Cool!

I've still got a few more things to check out but this definitely looks like a keeper.

Regards,

Jim
The mention that it only supports FAT16/FAT32 is on p. 304 of the "Help Guide" in the section "An audio file cannot be played." I'm still surprised that exFAT is not supported.

Regards, Mike
post #85 of 329 Old 06-21-2014, 09:04 AM

Cool

Quote:
The mention that it only supports FAT16/FAT32 is on p. 304 of the "Help Guide" in the section "An audio file cannot be played." I'm still surprised that exFAT is not supported.

Regards, Mike
Thanks,

That would have saved a lot of grief if the put it in the Play a USB Device Section. Now onto commissioning the rest of the 1050...

Regards,

Jim
post #86 of 329 Old 06-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks,

That would have saved a lot of grief if the put it in the Play a USB Device Section. Now onto commissioning the rest of the 1050...

Regards,

Jim
I went to the Sony support page and suggested adding exFAT and NTFS support in a future firmware update. exFat is virtually universal as the default format for flash drives and NTFS is exceedingly common for portable USB drives.
post #87 of 329 Old 06-21-2014, 10:26 AM

Cool "The blue multi-channel decoding lamp does not illuminate."

Quote:
I went to the Sony support page and suggested adding exFAT and NTFS support in a future firmware update. exFat is virtually universal as the default format for flash drives and NTFS is exceedingly common for portable USB drives.

I'd post that too if I could find out how!

I went to the Sony Support Site and was poking around and after inputting my model I saw a heading:

"The blue multi-channel decoding lamp does not illuminate."

https://ca.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...1,43145,92472/

Now this is something I miss on the 1050, and thought it was a dropped feature, and I was being an old fart for longing for it. It is on both of my old Sony Receivers and I liked how it was a brain dead way to see if it was on a true multi-channel source, and not set to one of the simulated DSP mixes available.

Is this function really available? I have to get down on my hands and knees and try to read the display screen (by the way, it would be a good thing if Sony allowed the receiver to mimic this screen onto the TV in some manner.) Like when I've got the Set Top box going I get a Dolby Digital 3 / 2.1 message that scrolls across so I assumed it's in a DD decoding mode. I really haven't listened to the receiver much as I'm trying to get everything enabled and working first. (I've yet to try the AM / FM tuners for instance.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim

Regards,

Jim
post #88 of 329 Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'd post that too if I could find out how!

I went to the Sony Support Site and was poking around and after inputting my model I saw a heading:

"The blue multi-channel decoding lamp does not illuminate."

https://ca.en.kb.sony.com/app/answer...1,43145,92472/

Now this is something I miss on the 1050, and thought it was a dropped feature, and I was being an old fart for longing for it. It is on both of my old Sony Receivers and I liked how it was a brain dead way to see if it was on a true multi-channel source, and not set to one of the simulated DSP mixes available.

Is this function really available? I have to get down on my hands and knees and try to read the display screen (by the way, it would be a good thing if Sony allowed the receiver to mimic this screen onto the TV in some manner.) Like when I've got the Set Top box going I get a Dolby Digital 3 / 2.1 message that scrolls across so I assumed it's in a DD decoding mode. I really haven't listened to the receiver much as I'm trying to get everything enabled and working first. (I've yet to try the AM / FM tuners for instance.

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim
Look up at the top for the "Contact US" link.

In the U.S. site it is at
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select...RECTOR=CONTACT
post #89 of 329 Old 06-21-2014, 11:06 AM

Thanks I'll check this out.

Any comment on the Blue Lamp? I certainly can't find it...

Regards,

Jim
post #90 of 329 Old 06-21-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Look up at the top for the "Contact US" link.

In the U.S. site it is at
http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select...RECTOR=CONTACT
From what I can see is that the decoding light is very small, unlike on my rather old DG-910 where you could easily see it across the room. Checking with calibration disc it clearly is decoding all of my 7.1 channels. I found the multitude of options in the speaker setup rather confusing, which is a consequence of versatility.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - STR-DN850 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page