Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 167 Old 06-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
I went to the Sony support page and suggested adding exFAT and NTFS support in a future firmware update. exFat is virtually universal as the default format for flash drives and NTFS is exceedingly common for portable USB drives.
The reply I got from Sony support was uninformative. It merely stated that only FAT16/FAT32 formats were supported, which is what I had stated in my query. It also said that any future updates would be announced on their support page - duhh..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 167 Old 06-21-2014, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyEyez View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by -Jim-

I took the plunge and ordered the STR-DN1050 from NCIX. However, it's on back order with no known delivery date so far. I'll poke them to day and find out what's up.

Regards,

Jim

You and me both......

Did you ever get yours? I gave up and bought it from the Downtown Sony Style Store...(Same Price!)

Regards,

Jim
post #93 of 167 Old 06-22-2014, 05:07 AM

Sony STR-DN1050 and Vizio M501D ARC setting?

I recently got a M501D and now have a Sony STR-DN1050. To setup ARC one apparently needs the correct model or code in the Vizio audio device settings. The most recent Sony I have seen listed is the STR-D1030. One can test codes manually, but there are apparently 117 settings for Sony :-( Does anyone have the code setting for this combo or suggestions?
post #94 of 167 Old 06-22-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I recently got a M501D and now have a Sony STR-DN1050. To setup ARC one apparently needs the correct model or code in the Vizio audio device settings. The most recent Sony I have seen listed is the STR-D1030. One can test codes manually, but there are apparently 117 settings for Sony :-( Does anyone have the code setting for this combo or suggestions?
I got a reply over on the Vizio M-series forum. There was a Vizio setting that I had either missed or misinterpreted. The ARC (Audio Return Channel) is now working properly between the Vizio M501 and my Sony STR-DN1050. The large number of features and capabilities with modern audiovisual equipment makes it difficult to create manuals which are not misinterpreted.

Thank you AVSforum members for helping!
post #95 of 167 Old 06-24-2014, 08:28 PM

Cool I think that only leaves the up-converting function left to test.

Gents,

I've now tested the Am / FM tuners and they work. Unfortunately I live in a shadow of some hills and mountains so the radio reception is a bit degraded. Also the Cable Company I subscribe to scrubbed off almost all the stations they carried so they'd have more bandwidth for pay per view / movies on demand / etc. So I only bother with about 2 AM and 1 FM station.

I think that only leaves the up-converting function left to test. My thought process here is to up-convert the 720P output of our Motorola HD (Shaw) Cable Box via it's component outputs and the corresponding inputs on the STR-DN1050. (I have the HDMI Cable connected direct for my wife so she doesn't have to muck about with the STR-DN1050. She doesn't like Surround Sound very much.)

The problem is I cannot figure out how to enable / disable this function. I searched the manual and all it talks about are up-converting to 4K and not 1080P.

Do any of you know how this can be done?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,

Jim
post #96 of 167 Old 06-25-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Jim- View Post
Gents,

I've now tested the Am / FM tuners and they work. Unfortunately I live in a shadow of some hills and mountains so the radio reception is a bit degraded. Also the Cable Company I subscribe to scrubbed off almost all the stations they carried so they'd have more bandwidth for pay per view / movies on demand / etc. So I only bother with about 2 AM and 1 FM station.

I think that only leaves the up-converting function left to test. My thought process here is to up-convert the 720P output of our Motorola HD (Shaw) Cable Box via it's component outputs and the corresponding inputs on the STR-DN1050. (I have the HDMI Cable connected direct for my wife so she doesn't have to muck about with the STR-DN1050. She doesn't like Surround Sound very much.)

The problem is I cannot figure out how to enable / disable this function. I searched the manual and all it talks about are up-converting to 4K and not 1080P.

Do any of you know how this can be done?

Thanks for the assist.
My cable box is an old one and does not have HDMI connections, so connecting via composite (wow, talk about ancient), I see that an upgraded 1080p signal is being sent to the HDTV. I do not yet see any option to preserve the 4x3 aspect ratio, but I am still obviously learning about the combination of receiver and HDTV. I also do not yet see any option of turning off the video signal upgrade. Note carefully the caveats in this reply!
post #97 of 167 Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jim - I'm not sure, but I think you are looking for audio/video switching. From the manual:

Switching between digital and analog audio (Input Mode)

When you connect devices to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver,you can fix the audio input mode to either device, or switch from one to theother, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.

1. Press the input buttons to select the input.

2. Press OPTIONS.

3. Select [Input Mode].

Auto: Gives priority to digital audio signals. If there is more than one digital connection, HDMI audio signals have priority.

If there is no digital audio signals, analog audio signals are selected. When TV input is selected, priority is given to Audio Return Channel (ARC) signals. If your TV supports the ARC function, digital optical audio signals are selected.

Optical: Specifies input of digital audio signals to the OPTICAL jack.

Coaxial: Specifies input of digital audio signals to the COAXIAL jack.

Analog: Specifies input of analog audio signals to the AUDIO IN (L/R) jacks.

Depending on the input, [Input Mode] may be dimmed on the TV screen and other modes cannot be selected. When [2chAnalog Direct] is being used, audio input is set to [Analog]. You cannot select other modes.

Hint

You can also use INPUT SELECTOR on the receiver to select the input in step 1.

This might also help:

Switching the monitors that output the HDMI video signals (for STR-DN1050 only)

If you have connected two monitors to the HDMI OUT A and HDMI OUT B jacks, you can switch the output for these two monitors using the HDMI OUTPUT button on the remote control.

1. Turn on the receiver and the two monitors.

2. Press HDMI OUTPUT.

Each time you press the button, the output will be switched as follows:

HDMI A - HDMI B - HDMI A+ B - HDMI OFF

Note

[HDMI A + B] may not work if the compatible video formats of the monitors connected to the HDMI OUTA jack and the HDMI OUT B jack of the receiver are different.

[HDMI A + B] may not work depending on the playback device you connect.
SleepyEyez likes this.

Last edited by kwcanuck; 06-25-2014 at 10:30 AM.
post #98 of 167 Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/home-...inema-receiver
The following was said about the new 1050 in the link above. Does anyone know if the 850 is the same? every amplifier component now has its own voltage regulation circuitry. The overall noise level (i.e. interference from internal components) is now lower, with timing errors and jitter reduced across the board thanks to a digital timing circuit - taken from the high-end AVRs for the first time in the Sony range.
post #99 of 167 Old 06-28-2014, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I just bought a Sony STR-DN850 and am very happy with it. Now I wonder how I can get spotify to work with songpal. Anyone got it working? I have tried to add it to the selected applications but without result. Grateful for all the help I can get!

BR Alawi
post #100 of 167 Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 PM

Internet Radio

Is tunein the only way to directly listen to internet radio? I find no way to just enter the URL of my favorite stream.

Also I would like to associate a channel with a preset on the remote, having to turn the TV on or starting and connecting SongPal on the mobile after turning on the device via its remote and navigate to the channel is really not what a like to do before my first coffee in the morning.

Cheers,

Reto
post #101 of 167 Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi hackztor,

I think you are jumping the gun here. The STR-DN1050, unlike it's predecessor the STR-DN1040 allows all audio sources to be played in Zone 2. I only enabled the Zone 2 (RCA) fixed outputs (Power => On - Input => Source - Line Out =>Fixed) and didn't try the Speaker Leads. I returned the STR-DN1040 I bought (partially) because it wouldn't do this one function. (It was by design not by a fault in the Receiver.) I only tried my Network Feed and USB Sticks as I'm only interested in Tunes for the backyard via a wireless setup I have. It worked great. Maybe you didn't have it enabled in settings? The default has it turned off.

Regards,

Jim
Using analog in and bluetooth inputs, both zone 2 speakers and RCA line level out works. I cannot figure out how to make optical input work for zone two. I leave the Z2 power on, input setting source, vol 13 and line out fixed.
post #102 of 167 Old 06-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reto Gmür View Post
Is tunein the only way to directly listen to internet radio? I find no way to just enter the URL of my favorite stream.

Also I would like to associate a channel with a preset on the remote, having to turn the TV on or starting and connecting SongPal on the mobile after turning on the device via its remote and navigate to the channel is really not what a like to do before my first coffee in the morning.

Cheers,

Reto

I use my phone to stream internet radio over bluetooth to the receiver. A spare tablet or phone would be ideal over the clunky interface through the tv. I tried songpal for android, but it is absolutely terrible.
post #103 of 167 Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi guys, from the UK here but the thread over at AV Forums is pretty dead! I was hoping a few questions could be answered as I own this amp:
  1. Can I use zone 2 to wireless speakers?
  2. Is there a way to get the amp to upscale to 1080P from my cable box via hdmi?
  3. Is there a way to always display the audio signal rather than the source name? My old DH800 could do this by pressing display, this seems to not work on this amp?
  4. Can I change what is assigned to the custom presets? For example can I choose Night mode instead of Party mode for preset 3?
post #104 of 167 Old 06-30-2014, 08:56 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recall View Post
Hi guys, from the UK here but the thread over at AV Forums is pretty dead! I was hoping a few questions could be answered as I own this amp:
  1. Can I use zone 2 to wireless speakers?
  2. Is there a way to get the amp to upscale to 1080P from my cable box via hdmi?
  3. Is there a way to always display the audio signal rather than the source name? My old DH800 could do this by pressing display, this seems to not work on this amp?
  4. Can I change what is assigned to the custom presets? For example can I choose Night mode instead of Party mode for preset 3?

1 => I use Zone 2 to my Wireless Speakers but in reality I use the Zone 2 "Pre- Amp" outputs (RCA plugs) to feed a wireless transmitter. If you are thinking of broadcasting Bluetooth or some other signal to wireless speakers you are out of luck unless they are the new Sony Party Speakers.

2 => Up scaling to 1080 is only available via Component Cable inputs and not HDMI.

3 => I don't know. This would be helpful - especially with the lack of the Blue Multichannel Light some of us are accustomed too.

4=> From the Manual:

STR-DN1050/STR-DN850

Saving the settings to a preset

1. Select [Custom Preset] from the home menu.

2. Press OPTIONS with a preset for which you want to edit settings among from [1: Movie], [2: Music], [3: Party] or [4: Night] selected.

3. Select the menu you want from the options menu.

Edit:

Allows you to customize and save the settings to suit your preferences.

Import:

Loads the present settings of the receiver and saves those settings with the preset. [Input] and [Volume] are set to [No Change].

Note:

Settings items saved as [No Change] are not changed from the present settings even when you recall the preset.

Select [Edit], then uncheck the box for a setting item on the edit screen to set [No Change].

Hint

You can overwrite [1: Movie], [2: Music], or [3: Party] with the present settings by holding down CUSTOM PRESET 1,

CUSTOM PRESET 2 or CUSTOM PRESET 3 for 3 seconds in the same way as you do when you select [Import] from the menu.

When you select [3: Party], zone 2 is turned on automatically and you can simultaneously enjoy the same music as the main zone.

Regards,

Jim
post #105 of 167 Old 06-30-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
1 => I use Zone 2 to my Wireless Speakers but in reality I use the Zone 2 "Pre- Amp" outputs (RCA plugs) to feed a wireless transmitter. If you are thinking of broadcasting Bluetooth or some other signal to wireless speakers you are out of luck unless they are the new Sony Party Speakers.

2 => Up scaling to 1080 is only available via Component Cable inputs and not HDMI.

3 => I don't know. This would be helpful - especially with the lack of the Blue Multichannel Light some of us are accustomed too.

4=> From the Manual:

STR-DN1050/STR-DN850

Saving the settings to a preset

1. Select [Custom Preset] from the home menu.

2. Press OPTIONS with a preset for which you want to edit settings among from [1: Movie], [2: Music], [3: Party] or [4: Night] selected.

3. Select the menu you want from the options menu.

Edit:

Allows you to customize and save the settings to suit your preferences.

Import:

Loads the present settings of the receiver and saves those settings with the preset. [Input] and [Volume] are set to [No Change].

Note:

Settings items saved as [No Change] are not changed from the present settings even when you recall the preset.

Select [Edit], then uncheck the box for a setting item on the edit screen to set [No Change].

Hint

You can overwrite [1: Movie], [2: Music], or [3: Party] with the present settings by holding down CUSTOM PRESET 1,

CUSTOM PRESET 2 or CUSTOM PRESET 3 for 3 seconds in the same way as you do when you select [Import] from the menu.

When you select [3: Party], zone 2 is turned on automatically and you can simultaneously enjoy the same music as the main zone.

Re (3) the type of signal being decoded is shown by the small led name in the display. It is also scrolled for a few seconds on the display when the type of signal being decoded changes. I did prefer the old-style large blue light and speakers in use display.
post #106 of 167 Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 AM

Is spotify supported/available yet ?

Am loving my Avr now i need new speakers but with the 1050 i think my missions came alive.
post #107 of 167 Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
How is the audio quality of the sony 1050? I have a Harman kardon avr 2700. I'm wondering if I should sell it and get a sony 1050. My HK sounds good, but I would love to have HDMI passthrough. Is the passthrough reliable?
post #108 of 167 Old 07-01-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Re (3) the type of signal being decoded is shown by the small led name in the display. It is also scrolled for a few seconds on the display when the type of signal being decoded changes. I did prefer the old-style large blue light and speakers in use display.
Thanks for the reply! With regards the upscaling is that a hardware limitation or can a firmware fix this? Also this amp lacks HDMI 2.0 is that right? If so how could that affect me in the future? Would it prevent me from watching 4K sources?
post #109 of 167 Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recall View Post
Thanks for the reply! With regards the upscaling is that a hardware limitation or can a firmware fix this? Also this amp lacks HDMI 2.0 is that right? If so how could that affect me in the future? Would it prevent me from watching 4K sources?
The amplifier has HDMI 1.4 connections. It looks as if the HDMI 2 situation is still evolving from what I have read. There a couple of manufacturers out there which support HDMI 2 connections, some with HDCP 2.2, but it is not clear to me if that is what will be the final version which will be adopted by the industry.
post #110 of 167 Old 07-02-2014, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
11:00 PM Edit -
It didn't take too long to figure out the "proper" setup for the DLNA connection in regards to FLAC Files. I mistakenly thought that the decoder for the files resided in the 1050, and as long as the file resided on the PC, and the 1050 was on the network, it should function.

In reality you need a codec resident for Windows Media Player to use, as well as the File associations set correctly for it to function. You also need to associate the Library Folders as well for the 1050. I was using VLC Player for my FLAC Tunes, and the Codec for FLAC is not in the default install of Win 7 64 Media Player. I downloaded a new Shark007 Codec pack just to be sure I was up to date. Now all the FLAC Tunes Play flawlessly. Another item off the checklist!
Thanks for the update... I was having the same issue but no time to test.

i will check that out tonite
post #111 of 167 Old 07-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sound Fields

Hi all,

I am an AV novice and just got the 1050 and am excited about all it can do. Flipping through the different sound fields it seems there is alot to learn. I know a lot is about personal preference but just looking for general recommendations.

What is the best setting for new movie bluray or DVD ... im assuming HD-DCS

General TV such as a news broadcast (HD) - multichannel stereo sounded pretty good to me. I know some TV programs are in Dolby Digital. Can the reciever select this or do i have to be constantly adjusting?

Music? 2 channel stereo?

I also just got a new Samsung Blu ray (BD-F5900) and was wondering about audio setting PCM vs bitstream. I read a little about this and was under the impression it didn't matter whether the bluray (PCM) or AVR (bitstream) did the decoding - and they would sound the same. I watched a DVD last night and listened to both settings and they were definitely different (bitstream sounded better). What setting should I use?

One other comment - I watched some of the soccer game yesterday and put it on the "sports" setting. It sounded great during the game but later when watching the news it was extremely echo-ie. Sounded awful. I had never noticed such a big difference before and almost thought there was something wrong with the receiver. Is the sports setting that different?

Would appreciate input on any of these issues!
post #112 of 167 Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So I had a few mins to test Flac via network and it was awesome thanks @-Jim-

The files are stored on my pc and streamed through a crappy router that I plan to change in the up coming months. I'm getting the Asus RT N66u and a hard drive to store all my media, will the Flac files play without an issue? Or will I need a nas drive to store my media?

This is the first time I'm listening to Lossless audio and it sound incredible. Every beat, tone and frequency was so detailed.

I am hooked.

Can someone please test If a network storage via router plays Flac?

What is the best way to play videos via network to the avr?
post #113 of 167 Old 07-03-2014, 01:43 AM

Just received the str-dn850. I am pretty happy but I have 2 issues (note that I have upgraded the firmware to the latest available version).
1. I can't see my 850 (airplay) on my macbook pro (nor on my iphone nor on my ipad)? What could be the issue (850 is wired connected to my router => wifi and internet)?
2. According to the specs of the 1050/850, deezer & spotify & tunein are available but I have access only to deezer and tunein... Unfortunately I am a spotify user. Any clue (other than connect my iphone in bluetooth with 850 and run spotify on iphone)?
Thanks.
post #114 of 167 Old 07-04-2014, 10:06 AM

HDCP issues with 850 and TiVo

I have had the Sony DN850 for almost a month now and have been happy up until last night. Suddenly I'm having HDCP issues between it and my Tivo and have not been able to resolve the problem. (The system status on the Tivo reads "HDCP not enabled" and when you try to watch it says "HDMI connection not permitted") Neither the Tivo nor Sony technical support were helpful. I've tried swapping out all the HDMI cables (configuration is Tivo to receiver to TV) all to no avail. I tried resetting the Sony. I'm about to reset the Tivo. The Tivo works straight to the TV, but this is not a long term solution. I haven't been able to find too much to help me out. Any magical ideas?
post #115 of 167 Old 07-05-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAchoo View Post
I have had the Sony DN850 for almost a month now and have been happy up until last night. Suddenly I'm having HDCP issues between it and my Tivo and have not been able to resolve the problem. (The system status on the Tivo reads "HDCP not enabled" and when you try to watch it says "HDMI connection not permitted") Neither the Tivo nor Sony technical support were helpful. I've tried swapping out all the HDMI cables (configuration is Tivo to receiver to TV) all to no avail. I tried resetting the Sony. I'm about to reset the Tivo. The Tivo works straight to the TV, but this is not a long term solution. I haven't been able to find too much to help me out. Any magical ideas?

Just an update. I solved the problem finally by rebooting the Tivo. Phew.
post #116 of 167 Old 07-06-2014, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo72 View Post
How is the audio quality of the sony 1050? I have a Harman kardon avr 2700. I'm wondering if I should sell it and get a sony 1050. My HK sounds good, but I would love to have HDMI passthrough. Is the passthrough reliable?
I have had the 830 for 1 1//2 years and never had any issues with passthrough.
post #117 of 167 Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
The amplifier has HDMI 1.4 connections. It looks as if the HDMI 2 situation is still evolving from what I have read. There a couple of manufacturers out there which support HDMI 2 connections, some with HDCP 2.2, but it is not clear to me if that is what will be the final version which will be adopted by the industry.
You mention the DN1050 not having HDMI 2.0, but it seems Sony lists HDMI version as 2.0 (http://store.sony.com/7.2-ch-hi-res-...reo-Components). Or perhaps you were referring to a specific port, or difference in UK model?
post #118 of 167 Old 07-06-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstratm View Post
You mention the DN1050 not having HDMI 2.0, but it seems Sony lists HDMI version as 2.0 (http://store.sony.com/7.2-ch-hi-res-...reo-Components). Or perhaps you were referring to a specific port, or difference in UK model?
Sorry, but I see no reference to the HDMI version on the page to which you linked.

Take a look at the following page for a statement from Sony that these receivers do not support HDMI 2.0
http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Th...-2/td-p/351528

Last edited by mhobart; 07-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
post #119 of 167 Old 07-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but I see no reference to the HDMI version on the page to which you linked.

Take a look at the following page for a statement from Sony that these receivers do not support HDMI 2.0
http://community.sony.com/t5/Home-Th...-2/td-p/351528
Interesting, this is the text that shows up for me (after clicking "Specifications," then near the bottom). If HDMI 2.0 is not included, I will be sending this right back to Sony due to false advertising. I actually may be sending it back due to terrible Zone 2 controls (and complete lack of control via remote!), but that's another story...

• Video Features
    • Video Features A/V Sync Features
      • A/V Sync auto mode : Yes
      • A/V Sync Sampling Frequency : 192 kHz
      • A/V Sync Time (msec) : 0-300 msec
      • A/V SYNC : Yes (Variable)
      • Power Off Pass Through : Yes
      • 3D over HDMI : Yes
      • DSD : Yes (HDMI / DLNA / USB Mass Storage)
      • BRAVIA® SYNC™ (CEC Control) : Yes: One-Touch Play, System Audio Control, System Power Off
      • S-Select : Yes
      • Audio Return Channel : Yes
      • Audio Widget : Yes
      • HDMI Version : 2.0
      • HDMI™ video output capability : 4K, 1080p, 1080/24p Deep Color (up to 36 bit) Triluminos Color (xvYCC)
      • Video Up Converter (Analog Component/HDMI) : Yes
      • Video Up Scaler (Analog; Component/HDMI) : Yes (4K)
post #120 of 167 Old 07-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the update, I had missed checking on that "Specifications" tab, my mistake there. I checked the similar page on the USA Sony page and that also mentions HDMI 2.0. Those pages with the specifications tabs are the only mentions of HDMI 2.0 I have seen (so far) mentioning support for that spec and all other references I have seen were to HDMI v1.4a Both pages appear to be the same (i.e. common origin).

Personally I have found the remote to be ok, and also the Zone 2 controls to be ok. Obviously you differ.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page