distributed audio with surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-30-2014, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi and help......

OK..   just bought a home (I'm a city boy) and I need to install a multi-room system.  The home is 2 floors and I will have 5-6 zones downstairs including a patio out back.  I am undecided about connecting the upstairs to the system.  I will hire an installation pro.

The downstairs is wired with ceiling speakers connected to a single closet.

I would like to have a surround system, driven by a Krell amp, as one of the zones.  It will not be a media room so 7.1 is fine.  Just a top notch Plasma and some good speakers.    I would like each zone to be able to play a different source.

I have downloaded my Cd's to FLAC.  I would also like to stream music from the internet (preferably Quboz when it is available) but I have to allow my wife access to Spotify as well as her apple products.  Control via I-Pads and smartphones would be great.  I have enough sitting around as my family keeps upgrading.  I also do not want wall remotes that will be antiquated in 3 years.  Also, I want wifi access on the remotes so i do not have to run the IR wires.

While I want a solid system (more than 30 watts per...) a ridiculous system would be wasted on the rest of my family.  What are my options as far as a home audio system and a server?????

As expected the first guy immediately suggested the Creston and demanded monster cables and an expensive server.

The next guy went with a suggestion of the Nuvo system and control 4.  

What is a solid system, I am not looking for the cheapest.  is the Creston worth double the Nuvo, Russound and the rest????

Thank you in advance.

Rp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Go with the cheaper system. Anything monster cable brand is a scam. Buy and wires or cables needed from monoprice. Even midlevel home theater receiver can play flacs from a regular pc. You shouldn't need an expensive nas these days.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM

Liked: 11
Instead of a Nuvo and Control4 system you can get just the Control4 as a standalone system. I have a Control4 automation system in my home that has its own distributed audio solution. I've been very happy with it so far and stream audio mainly from TuneIn Radio and other internet radio sources, otherwise, the Control4 also reads off my 4TB hard drive which has all my own music stored on it. Control4 also has a music bridge which is a small device that allows you to stream music from your phone directly through your system. I haven't used it but I hear it's pretty slick.

As for Crestron, the quote I got for the whole home automation solution was about 40-50% higher than the Control4 quotes and that was too much a jump to justify (and convince the wife) considering I was already dumping 40K into what my wife calls "your toy".

Really, the Control4 system is a great system. I've read all the reviews on this forum of how the Crestron is the superior system, and it probably is, but there wasn't a single wish I threw at my integrators that they couldn't make happen, and I threw some pretty crazy stuff at them. At the end, 40-50% is 40-50%! That's huge!
post #4 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10

Thanks...  I have monoprice on speed dial...  I have been reading up on the control 4 and the savant systems..   I think they can more than do what I need for half the price...  now I just have to find a solid installer..

post #5 of 5 Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpnycaus View Post

Thanks...  I have monoprice on speed dial...  I have been reading up on the control 4 and the savant systems..   I think they can more than do what I need for half the price...  now I just have to find a solid installer..

Where are you located? Get references and call the installers clients to get their first hand experience with the system and the installers. Lots of horror stories...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page