Replacing my Onkyo 609 - Recommendations Wanted - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-01-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

As of about late January of this year, my Onkyo 609's hdmi inputs have failed on me. This would be the second time that this has happened to this receiver, and it is no longer under warranty so I will not be sending it into be repaired(again). This was my first receiver, and I really enjoyed it when it was working properly. I am now in the market to replace this unit for about 200-400 dollars. I have done a bit of reading and looked around on some other forums and was recommended to check out this one.

Currently I am only running two Polk Monitor 60s and a Polk Center CSII Series 2. The only devices that will be mainly hooked up are a blu ray player and my pc. I am looking to get a unit that will be an upgrade in terms of usability. I have limited my choices to receivers that have 4k passthrough as well just for a little future proofing. 

So far, the two main units I have found that I think fit the bill are:

Sony - STR-DH740

Denon - AVR-E400

I would love any other suggestions, and I will be frequently checking this forum to answer any questions that might help guide me into a proper purchase. I know that these two reveivers are not my only options and come seeking opinions from people with much more experience on this matter. I really hope that whatever is picked out will have a better product life than this Onkyo as it has really soured me towards that company and their quality. I am hoping my second receiver will be a much more rewarding and enjoyable experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-02-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Still researching and looking at units. One thing I did notice is that the Sony I linked does not have any way to interface with my network. That is only a bother for firmware updates as most units end up needing them to fix little bugs and issues. The Denon still looks like a fine pick, but I have no knowledge of the company and its level of quality. There are a few Pioneer and Yamaha that are also available in my price range.

This receiver looks like it would work well as a replacement and has 4k passthrough as well:
Yamaha - RX-V475

Starting to run into a bit of give and take issues with these choices as one will offer a feature that another one will not and vice versa. And suggestions or recommendations at this point would greatly be appreciated.

post #3 of 3 Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sony STR-DN1050. This is a bad ass HT receiver for the money.

Lifes a beach and then you die....
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page