Questions on McIntosh Amp choice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-02-2014, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
About a year ago, I got a great deal on a pair of B&W 802D speakers which I had auditioned at a dealer who had McIntosh 601 monos hooked up to them. The sound was breathtaking, and the speakers did not need a sub to give full, rich bass.

Well I don't have any 601 monoblocks but I have been using the speakers with my McIntosh MA-6300 (100wpc) knowing that I would some day upgrade to a more powerful amplifier. I have also been using a Klipsch 12 inch sub in the system as the lack of power from my integrated just doesn't cut it as far as bass is concerned.

Well I am about ready to upgrade the amp now and would like some comments. The choice seems to be between the 300wpc MC302 and the 450wpc MC452. The only problem is, the cost is substantially different and frankly I cannot afford the 452.

So for the time being at least, it seems as though the 302 may be my only choice (yes I do want to stay with McIntosh).

So the question is, am I wasting my time by considering the 302? I know I do need some more power to take full advantage of the speakers, but will the 302 make much of a difference over what I already have...not just in power (yes it IS 3x the power) but in overall sound quality? It would be nice if I could do away with the subwoofer, but might my subwoofer combo as is be pretty much as good as a 302?

Any comments? Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-02-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I can't comment on the subwoofer part. I have an MC 252 hooked up toy Aerial 7t's and it provides them with plenty of power throughout their frequency range which goes quite low. The 302 should provide the necessary output to your 802's IMO.

post #3 of 3 Old 05-02-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks. What I wonder though is whether it will make a noticeable difference from what I already have or am I just kidding myself. When I audioned the speakers with the 601s, I also had them hook up a 75wpc McIntosh tube amp. The difference was very noticeable in the bass range. 75 watts wasn't enough to do justice to the bass with those speakers, and 100wpc hardly sounds any different. I spose theoretically 300wpc should, but just want some more opinions especially from anyone who actually uses that kind of power with 802D speakers.

I've seen a lot of threads in which people suggest going with the 452 (quad amp, as much power as I would ever need, yada yada yada) but I really wonder how much of a difference it would really make, especially considering it's another 2 grand, which I just cannot afford.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page