Audio stops when tv turn off. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi,

Not sure if this has been addressed before.

I have the following scenario.

I have a playback device with HDMI out connected to a Pioneer VSX-LX52 receiver.

The output is connected to a Samsung TV.

When I play Spotify on the playback device (have tested with an Android TV box, and a Mac Mini) it plays beautifully.

However, I don't want the TV turned on when I play music (as Spotify now allows remote playback (brilliant feature by the way)).

When I turn off the TV, not only the video dies, but so does the sound.

Is there any way I can keep the audio alive, whilst the tv being turned off?

Kind regards,

Simon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Are you saying the receiver also turns off, too? Or does the receiver stay on, but the sound turns off? If the receiver turns off too, I would check if the HDMI Control is turned on. The tv may be "helping" you and turning off the receiver over the hdmi. Turning off the hdmi Control on either the tv or the receiver may fix the problem.

Are you by any chance looping the audio out to the tv and back to the receiver? Receivers normally have a setting to send hdmi audio to the tv or to the amp. Maybe you need to change this setting and change your system wiring?

Just speculation here, but could it be the hdcp copy protection on the hdmi? If it can't do its little security handshake with the tv, it may cut the signal. HDMI does some funky stuff.

What is the mysterious "playback device"?
post #3 of 8 Old 05-10-2014, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

The mysterious playback device is a keedox Android tv box, but it also happens with the mac mini. Both are connected via hdmi.

The Amp stays on when the tv is turned off, and it happens whatever software I use (even system sounds on the mac mini won't play when the tv is turned off.

Looping is not present, the amp does not support HDMI 1.4 (it is 1.3) so ARC is not supported either. I will check hdmi control still and "report back" :)

I had a suspicion to the HDMI hdcp too, and I guess you're on to something that could be the cause of the problem. I will check if I can turn it off, and see how that works. That is probably not desirable either, since I use iTunes for movie rentals, which does require hdcp which means I will have to turn on/off all the time... perhaps the amp would allow me to control by input, which would sort of solve the problem. I will check out.

Thanks,

Simon.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Seems to me that your audio is being sent via HDMI and the TV stops processing all input when it's turned off. Samsung TVs (at least modern ones) have an Eco mode, and if you scroll to the bottom of the Eco mode menu, you have the option to turn off the screen while keeping the TV on.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-11-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstavdal View Post

Thanks for your response.
The mysterious playback device is a keedox Android tv box, but it also happens with the mac mini. Both are connected via hdmi.
The Amp stays on when the tv is turned off, and it happens whatever software I use (even system sounds on the mac mini won't play when the tv is turned off.

Hi sstavdal, you can simply connect an optical cable from each source assigned to same name used for HDMI input in addition to the HDMI cable (as long as the source will output over both) and use the remote Signal Sel button to cycle over to digital.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for the suggestion. I will try this out later this week (away on business) :)

Cheers,

Simon

post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks JChin,

I already thought of this as an option, but I am trying to keep the spaghetti to a minimum, hence I would ideally like it to run over hdmi :)

Cheers,

Simon.

post #8 of 8 Old 05-12-2014, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Many thanks for the suggestion. I will try this out later this week (away on business) :)

Cheers,

Simon

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page