What's up with people throwing away a perfectly good receiver? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So yesterday afternoon I was picking up a friend at her apartment, on the way to happy hour for some brews and out of the corner of my eye I notice an all black receiver chillin' on the ground next to the dumpster for the complex. Of course I became curious and walked over to check it out and to my surprise, It was a Harman Kardon AVR 1700 receiver. I figured the thing got fried by whoever was throwing it away, but I figured I'd throw it in my trunk and see if it was something simple like a fuse or come caps on the power board... all typically easy fixes. Of course I asked my friend if she knew who dumped it, and she said it had been there since morning and it wasn't accidentally left by a neighbor who was moving or anything.
Later last night after getting back home, I first plugged it in and was greeted with the orange standby light. Of course now I'm thinking the amplifier board is probably shot as I push the orange button and to my amazement, it turns on with no issues. At this point i figured i'd power it down, take the cover off, give everything a thorough cleaning and visual inspection followed by testing some voltages just to make sure it's not going to kill my display from overvolting it or some crap. Everything checked out fine.
So I hooked the thing up to my TWC HD-DVR as a source and used an old 32" LCD TV for a display and even though it was still running ancient v02.00(?) software and needed an update to the latest v03.05A... the thing seems to be working flawlessly. All audio channels work great, all the HDMI inputs crystal clear, and all the features like airplay, DLNA streaming, and iphone connectivity work as they should.

Anyone here come across a find like this? The only other time I've encountered perfectly good free electronics was a few years back a friend of mine and I used to find people on craigslist who would offer those large widescreen rear projection HDTV's for FREE or $50 at the most because they wanted to buy a new flat panel HDTV and thought the CRT-projection tubes were at the end of their lives because the picture was very washed out. What I discovered was those TV's were perfectly fine and all they needed was to have the back of the cabinet removed, blow all the dust off the big old-school circuit boards, and the CRT projectors cleaned with the appropriate solution. Because they point straight up, they get massive dust buildup on them, like over 1/8" thick. Once clean, the picture quality was like the thing was brand new. Only took a couple hours of work and re-sold them for a couple hundred bucks.

As for this AVR 1700... I'm going to torture test it by letting it run for the next three days straight just to make sure there isn't a problem with it overheating or some other issue. If it's still good, I'll probably give it to the parents for a mothers day gift this weekend. Right now they have a killer 8000 series Samsung LED LCD and the most pathetic $200 Sony home-theater-in-a-box that loses its sync with the cable box at least once every 2 hours. I'll replace the front speakers with a nice pair of Sony tower speakers I got them about 10 years ago that they never use and for the rears I may "loan" them my pair of Hughes ORB1 speakers even though I still really like them for some reason.

pics in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
good for you. i put my old RX-V620 in the box that my new RX-A1020 came in. it still works perfect, and i dont throw anything away.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked: 451
That is insane, has HDMI inputs so can't be that old.

I did junk a Sony 110V region 1 only DVD player a while ago, couldn't be modded to multi-region nor it supported PAL playback. Plus VCR couple of game consoles

Pivetta Opera
Bose Jewel speakers.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27

I have a like new Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV that I have recently replaced. It works great but I got a case of Upgraditis one day. I'm not sure what to do with the Pioneer, but probably would give it to Goodwill or Amvets before putting it in the trash. I'd rather sell it but I'm not keen on inviting strangers into my home via Craigslist or whatever.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Instead of throwing such things away, people should give them to Goodwill so that they can be resold and enjoyed, rather than going into a landfill.

But in answer to your question, some years ago, one of my brothers picked up an old Pioneer SX-850 in great condition that someone was throwing away. I have never had such good luck myself, but you are certainly not the first to get something for nothing.
Djoel likes this.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 478
good find for you. The previous owner probably didn't know how to use it., got frustrated and tossed it. Either that or the receiver was stolen and somebody dumped it.

As far as the old rear projection TV's, people just want to get rid of those big boxy units and thrift stores out here wont take them.

Afro GT
post #7 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Nice deal. The price was right!

I'm struggling with what to do with a Pioneer VSX-1121 now sitting in my garage. I really liked that receiver, had it set up perfectly to my taste in sound - it's big and beefy, lots of features. BUT - lightning took out the HDMI out, and a replacement board was going to cost around what I paid for the whole thing new - ~$400. Everything else, (other than the hdmi-in that my cable box was attached to), works fine, but I'm leery of long term reliability now - I don't know what components might have been stressed by the lightning. It still works fine using component out but because of the evil HDMI licensing situation, I can't use sources on hdmi in, but send a picture out over component out. What a stupid technology HDMI is. Anyway, what do I do with a fully functional, excellent AVR with an inoperable HDMI out port? I did have it fixed up to work still, using a mish mash of compenent video, optical digital audio, etc, but it was getting to be a hassle.

I also have a big old Pioneer Elite HD rear projection monolith on garage game room duty - picture seems good, but maybe I'll pull the back off and clean up the bulbs some. I guess you're supposed to touch them with your fingers? Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone. The theory on that big honking box is that if anyone even wanted to steal it from my garage, they better bring two buddies and a big truck!
post #8 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That is insane, has HDMI inputs so can't be that old.

It's actually newer than my Harman Kardon AVR354 which is still going strong. Plus it's got a much better OSD than the newer low end HK receivers.

What's even more surprising is I wasn't even in a fancy neighborhood like Naples or Balboa (both here in SoCal). It was f*cking Cypress!! lol.
Quote:
good find for you. The previous owner probably didn't know how to use it., got frustrated and tossed it. Either that or the receiver was stolen and somebody dumped it.

Nah. Wasn't stolen. It had the power cord nicely wrapped up and all the rear jacks are in good shape. Thieves don't take the time to grab power cords. or properly unplug speaker wire. I think the previous owner was not tech-savvy and thought it was broken because it's not as user friendly as my older AVR354.

Quote:
As far as the old rear projection TV's, people just want to get rid of those big boxy units and thrift stores out here wont take them.

I was talking like 7-8 years ago when a 46" LED LCD cost $1600 and there was a market for those big 1080i HDTV's, especially since I live near CSULB.

Quote:
I can't use sources on hdmi in, but send a picture out over component out. What a stupid technology HDMI is. Anyway, what do I do with a fully functional, excellent AVR with an inoperable HDMI out port? I did have it fixed up to work still, using a mish mash of compenent video, optical digital audio, etc, but it was getting to be a hassle.

Personally, I'd probably pull the HDMI board and go over all the components carefully with my volt meter, figure out what is shot, and order new components from Digikey. As long as you have some skill with a soldering iron it shouldn't be incredibly difficult unless the thing is REALLY cooked. Like burnt crisp bad.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

And here she is. smile.gif

natchie likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Looks good. Maybe a wife tossed it to spite the hubby?
vcrpro3 likes this.

Afro GT
post #11 of 11 Old 03-04-2015, 08:29 AM

Liked: 12
Did you ever end up successfully updating the firmware?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread - 110V by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page