AVS Forum banner

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

583K views 5K replies 750 participants last post by  d.hanson.it 
#1 · (Edited)
The announcements of the 2014 Denon lineup have begun so it's time to start the new master thread for these models. Lot's more info coming soon!

In order to relieve this thread of the overwhelming wave of Atmos related discussion, we have created a separate thread for the X4100, X5200, and X7200 Atmos enabled models with XT32. Please refer any discussion of these models specifically, or Dolby Atmos on Denons in general, to this other thread. Click here to go to the other thread. This thread will focus on the S-Series and the non-Atmos X-Series models (X1100, X2100, X3100).

Denon S-Series Official Press Release

Likely the most eye-catching news (besides the expected upgrade to HDMI 2.0 across the board) is the first-time-ever inclusion of both Bluetooth and WiFi wireless options. The entry level S500BT lacks network features and only offers Bluetooth (thus the "BT" designation suffix) whereas the higher level models add networking with WiFi option (thus the "W" designation).

Quote:Mahwah, NJ. (May 12, 2014) — Home theater receivers are moving ahead as consumers seek to make home the perfect entertainment place. Today Denon® Electronics, a leading manufacturer of premium home and personal audio products, announces the launch of three new S-Series audio/video (A/V) receivers that are designed and engineered with an eye to the future and delver excellence now with the AVR-S500BT, AVR-S700W and the AVR-S900W. The new S-Series models carry on the Denon tradition of packing on features aimed at discerning and forward-looking consumers who demand nothing less than the finest state-of-the-art home theater performance. They come ready with Bluetooth® wireless streaming and the latest HDMI 2.0 connectivity. The S-Series models are expected to be available in June at select Denon dealers and online.

“The S-Series models deliver an incredible home theater experience now and in the future with Bluetooth and wireless connectivity for streaming audio, a feature that undeniably is a must for today’s consumers. And each is loaded with the latest HDMI connectivity that includes pass-through for 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Pure Color and 21:9 video content, making them compatible with 4K ultra high definition sources and displays. And in response to growing consumer demand, we’ve priced the S500BT at an all-time low price point for built-in Bluetooth streaming in an AVR at $249,” said Paul Belanger, product manager for D+M.

What's new this year?

ALL models in the lineup now feature:

* Upgrade to HDMI 2.0 with 3D, 4:4:4 and 4K/60fps pass through support
* Bluetooth built in for wireless streaming
* Two subwoofer pre-outs (note that for models without SubEQ HT, or every model covered in this thread, this is just an internal y-splitter, not independent calibration)
* Power saving "ECO" mode
* Return of Quick Select buttons on the remote (as opposed to just on the front panel)
* Return of the "Channel Level" on screen menu for on the fly adjustments to all channels -- note that for the first time this setting is per input not per surround mode
* Expanded "Option" menu for on-the-fly audio/video adjustments (the "Setup" menus will now be reserved for more global adjustments)

The following changes apply to all models above the entry-level S500BT:

* 7 amp channels and Zone 2 support
* 4ohm UL certification (achieved through a 4ohm / 6ohm / 8ohm impedance setting, piggybacks on the current limiting ECO mode)
* Networking and WiFi built in, with support for DSD and hi-rez (192kHZ) FLAC and WAV files via network stream or USB
* Built-in Spotify interface replaced by "Spotify Connect" for all networked models (i.e. you can only control it from a separate device, not from the receiver directly)
* For the first time a "TV Audio On/Off" setting to defeat the annoying auto switching caused by an HDMI-CEC ARC connection
* Included sectional mic stand for the Audyssey mic in case you don't have a tripod
* Heavily revamped smartphone/tablet remote apps coming in the fall with expanded functionality

See less See more
#592 ·
how are you going to get point point audio when there is no speaker where the speaker is supposed to be where in a atmos theater set up there is speakers surrounding you for that pin point audio. If you want sound enveloping you wouldn't Mirage speakers work better in a smaller room?

#594 ·
how are you going to get point point audio when there is no speaker where the speaker is supposed to be where in a atmos theater set up there is speakers surrounding you for that pin point audio.
Same way 2 speakers in front of you can give a pinpoint centre image without a centre speaker. More speakers aren't about getting pin-point localization as much as getting greater imaging stability.
If you want sound enveloping you wouldn't Mirage speakers work better in a smaller room?
At the expense of localization, since they spray the same sound in every direction.

#602 ·
I just got back from best buy and auditioned several receivers. My two favorite where the pioneer sc-71 and for around the same price the denon x2000. I only heard them in stereo and the pioneer sounded a tad bit cleaner and clearer.

My issue at the moment is, will the Audyssey over the pioneers room correction be substantially better and will the pioneer be as reliable as the denon. The pioneers open box for only $500 and the denon I can get anywhere online for $350-400.

Has anyone had experience with comparing the twos room correction? IN the past I have always manually done it as I didnt like what my Yamahas YAPO did for the most part and my HK one just was plain junk. IM worried if I dont like the Audyssey I have to have it either on or off and what if I like some settings but want to tweak it a bit?

#611 ·
Bose or not Bose is irrelevant, the professor doesn't know what brand of speakers you are using.

Atmos will only work if you have at least two height/ceiling speakers in addition to a standard setup. If you have all your standard speakers already in the ceiling then Atmos as implemented in these AVRs is pointless.

#614 ·
So are you saying these aren't Dolby Atmos specifications but current AVR limitations? My understanding is that all current AVR's implemented the specifications given to them from Dolby. This isn't Atmos lite, is it? Why would they change it anytime soon? It hasn't even been released and we're already talking about future implementations?

#617 ·
Denon. I don't have anything to add to the discussion, I just haven't seen anything about Denon for a while now 😉

Reactions: Lady Gaia
#618 ·
Now you're cookin' with ATMOS!

Reactions: sikclown
#623 ·
I realize it's still largely speculative, but is there any preliminary scuttlebutt on how/if Denon's 2014 line-up will accommodate DTS-UHD when it becomes available (presumably in 2015)?

If DTS-UHD turns out to represent a better initial HT implementation of object-oriented audio, my fear is that my brand new X5200/X7200 could become instantly obsolete. OTOH, perhaps the X7200's delayed fielding and $800 upcharge are an indication that it might accommodate both Dolby and DTS's new codecs?

#629 ·
How many movies are mixed in Atmos and how many in DTS's format?

OK - that means that Atmos will be the dominant force but I agree that we wouldn't want to be denied any other formats where possible. Just as we wouldn't want an AVR that couldn't handle TrueHD even though most Blurays have DTS-HD MA tracks. If DTS-UHD is delivered as a bitstream via DTS-HD MA (like Atmos is via TrueHD) then maybe a FW update would be all we need? Just speculation.

#624 ·
I just picked up my AVR-S900W, and I had a couple of questions. First off, does it upscale to 4k:60? Or is upscaling limited to 4k:30? So far, I've only seen it do the latter.

Second, for some reason my PC still only sees available resolutions up to 1080p. I know I'd be limited to 4k:30 with the legacy HDMI ports available on current GPUs, but still would love to see it running at 4k natively. Any ideas why I wouldn't see 4k resolution with GTX680s?

#634 · (Edited)
The 4-ohm thing is a tack on, but done poorly?
Protection Mode: If the AVR shuts off in protection mode and the power indicator light flashes red, it generally means the following based on the frequency of flashes:
  • Every 1/2 sec = speaker wire from one post touching another post (most common); driving 4Ω speakers too loud (ie. >-10db); or amp failure
Audioholics.com (http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-s-series-receivers)
And remember that Eco mode we mentioned? The folks at Denon smartly tied that in with 4 ohm certification. No, the S700W won’t deliver huge output into low impedance loads. However, the current limiting aspect of the Eco mode (a requirement for the European market) was something that engineers found they could retool slightly to allow folks to safely drive a 4 ohm load without excessive heat buildup. Just realize that once you flip the switch to low impedance mode, you also significantly reduce available output power to your speaker system.
Honestly, most AVR are considered to be able to handle 4 ohm if you don't turn the volume up too loud even if the manufacturer doesn't support it. This sounds like the same thing or worse. Anyone have a chance to test drive this with 4-ohm speakers yet?

#635 ·
The 4-ohm thing is a tack on, but done poorly?
[/LIST]Audioholics.com (http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/denon-s-series-receivers)

Honestly, most AVR are considered to be able to handle 4 ohm if you don't turn the volume up too loud even if the manufacturer doesn't support it. This sounds like the same thing or worse. Anyone have a chance to test drive this with 4-ohm speakers yet?
ECO mode is required?
Is that a current limiter, low power idle (low bias), a nanny to tell you it is too loud?

- Rich

#639 · (Edited)
The pioneer rep claims no 2014 denon, pioneer or yamaha receivers have hdcp 2.2.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ch-dolby-amos-hdmi-2-0-a-13.html#post25319465

"Regarding HDCP 2.2, none of our AVR's support it this year. Pioneer (As well as Denon and Yamaha) opted for full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 (18gbps) so that we can support 4:4:4 content as well as high dynamic range and expanded color gamut signals which require more that 10.2gbps. There currently is not a single chip solution that offers both 18gbps and HDCP 2.2. Onkyo decided to go with HDCP 2.2 by using a different brand HDMI repeater, however there HDMI 2.0 solution only offers 10.2gbps of bandwidth (Same has HDMI 1.4)."

#642 ·
The pioneer rep claims no 2014 denon, pioneer or yamaha receivers have hdcp 2.2.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ch-dolby-amos-hdmi-2-0-a-13.html#post25319465

"Regarding HDCP 2.2, none of our AVR's support it this year. Pioneer (As well as Denon and Yamaha) opted for full bandwidth HDMI 2.0 (18gbps) so that we can support 4:4:4 content as well as high dynamic range and expanded color gamut signals which require more that 10.2gbps. There currently is not a single chip solution that offers both 18gbps and HDCP 2.2. Onkyo decided to go with HDCP 2.2 by using a different brand HDMI repeater, however there HDMI 2.0 solution only offers 10.2gbps of bandwidth (Same has HDMI 1.4)."

So I get the advantage of having hdmi 2.0, but the units can't accept a 4k feed from any future source that will require HDCP 2.2? I get keeping costs down by not having another chip in the unit, but you would think HDCP 2.2 and hdmi 2.0 go hand in hand....
and that's not something you can enable with a firmware update...

#641 ·
Question about x5200/7200 multi-zone capabilities

I can't remember if this has already been asked but do we know what the multi-zone capabilities of the two top models coming soon will be. Particularly dealing with zone 3 and possibly being able to get analog output from another HDMI source or will it stay limited to zone 2 like the x4000/4100? I have the potential to use at least 3 separate zones maybe even 4 if the x5200 or x7200 would go that far but I would like to know what limitations there will be and I didn't really see anything in post 3 that covers this (unless I missed it). Thanks.

#644 ·
I can't remember if this has already been asked but do we know what the multi-zone capabilities of the two top models coming soon will be. Particularly dealing with zone 3 and possibly being able to get analog output from another HDMI source or will it stay limited to zone 2 like the x4000/4100? I have the potential to use at least 3 separate zones maybe even 4 if the x5200 or x7200 would go that far but I would like to know what limitations there will be and I didn't really see anything in post 3 that covers this (unless I missed it). Thanks.
We don't yet have the full details on the 7200, but it looks like it will be losing the Zone 4 capability found on the 4520CI, but both the 5200 and 7200 will gain the same current Zone 2/3 capability as is on the X3000/X4000.

#646 ·
Do these threads normally have 20+ pages before anybody has really heard the new units? I know there is some relevant info in this thread but should it be renamed to the "Denon 2014 speculation and ATMOS arguments" thread? I'm not joking. It is a lot to wade through and most of it is pretty irrelevant. I have enjoyed learning about object based audio though.

#647 ·
I, for one, am enjoying the discussion very much.

Like any published source, you can always skim through the items that hold no interest for you (even if that includes batpig's irreverent humor :p).

Reactions: esappy
#651 ·
Ok, been going back and forth in my head and need some nudging lol

I am really up in the air over which one to get to replace my AVR-591.

My budget is mainly in the S900 / X1100 range, but if I really can convince myself I may swing the X2100. I won't kid myself to think I can fit the X3100 in my budget lol.

My current set up probably does not warrant anything too fancy:
Samsung F9000 (2014 One Connect)
Polk 5.1 (Monitor II's + PSW505)

The main differences I see are: S900/X2100 vs X1100 - Audessey, HDMI inputs (5 rear vs 7 rear, latter all 2.0), bump in power.

I am leaning a little to the S900, will I really see a benefit in Audessey XT with Monitor II's in a 5.1 set up? Although on the other hand, I don't believe I need any help upscaling my 4K signals, Samsung has a really good upscaler in the F9000 w/ 2014 upgraded One Connect Box. I can probably get by with 2x HDMI 2.0 ports (we don't even have anything to take advantage of this yet lol, I can only see the new BD players requiring this for 4K BD discs? maybe in a yr or two?). All my devices will fit to 5 rear HDMI ports (PS3, PS4, NTV550, Chromecast, BD player, Skype cam - doesn't matter if this is in the AVR or to my TV).

I guess basically, is the Audessey enough to push me to go for the X1100/X2100? I don't care about 4k upscaling, 5 rear HDMI inputs seem sufficient - 2 being 2.0, or am I missing something else to consider? I should probably write the X2100 off, I think my wife may kill me for dropping another $700 (just built a new PC for about $1500, Samsung One Connect Box was another $400... I think she already wants to cause harm lol). Although I can stomach the $100 difference between X1100 / S900 if all things considered, the additional HDMI is worth it.

#654 ·
Depending on who you ask, will get you different answers about Audyssey. Some will tell you that XT is a big step up from the basic MultEq. Some will say you will be hard pressed to hear the difference. And others flat out hate Audyssey and they will tell you to not waste your time. Me personally, I only have experience with the XT version in my older Denon AVR-3808ci, but to me in my space it makes a noticeable difference and for the better. Now I haven't had the time, patience, or money to do proper room treatments yet so that may negate some of the 'benefits' of Audyssey but my theater is still a work in progress.

Another big benefit of going with the X series is that extra year of manufacturers warranty. In this day and age of 'disposable electronics' I take all the warranties I can get. :rolleyes:

#665 ·
I'm surprised more people haven't picked these up yet. All the Best Buys near me got them a few days ago and already have them set up in the Magnolia Rooms.

I decided the feature difference wasn't worth it and picked up an x2000 for $399 (price matched to Crutchfield).

Both the S- series and X-series have Audessey (just like last year). The difference is the lower X- have Silver version as opposed to Bronze in the S. The top most models have gold.

I let Audessey set up my system last night... tested it, then completely disabled it and re-tuned by ear. It did a crap job. It cut the center channel so dialog was weak and LFE was dropped 15 db! It over-drove the surrounds, and completely misjudged just about everything else. I wouldn't pay anything to add Audessey to a receiver.

#671 ·
So we've all been freaking out a bit because we're trying to figure out exactly where we're supposed to position our new Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers.

1) It's a bit of a shame that this 1st implementation can't use angle measurements or manual angle inputs. But, to me, that just means that the precise 3-dimensional location of a given sound object will just be a little more vague for the home version. So, for example, maybe we don't get the exact xyz coordinates that are present in the Atmos soundtrack, but it's more of an, "up and over that-a-way" type of sound placement :p

2) As far as where Dolby would recommend we place our new ceiling speakers, I'm taking the new Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers as the biggest hint.

If I were to set up a 5.1.2 system using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers rather than actual separate ceiling speakers, that pretty much tells us where Dolby expects those overhead sounds to be coming from, doesn't it?

With Dolby Atmos-enabled Front Left & Right speakers, the .2 ceiling sounds would seemingly be coming from the first reflection points on the ceiling, no? I mean, in effect, if you want to figure out where the ceiling bounce is happening, you could put a small mirror on the ceiling and move it until you can clearly see the upward-firing driver of the speaker in the mirror's reflection. So, by definition, that's the first reflection point on the ceiling. To me, that tells me rather clearly where Dolby expects that first pair of ceiling speakers to be placed. Forget the diagrams, it's the first reflection points on the ceiling of your Front Left & Right speakers.

3) Now, for the second pair of ceiling speakers, it isn't quite as clear. If you're using 90 degree side placement of your Surround speakers, then a 5.1.4 setup using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers would result in the ceiling first reflection points of the Surround positions being essentially directly overhead - just offset to the left and right, but directly overhead front-to-back-wise.

4) But Onkyo's images basically showed the second pair of ceiling bounces coming from what amounts to the Surround Back positions rather than the Surround positions. Once again, the exact location of those ceiling bounces ends up just being the ceiling first reflection points. But for this second pair of ceiling speakers, if we're using the Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers as a clue, then it matters quite a lot whether it's the Surround speakers or the Surround back speakers that are creating the ceiling bounces.

5) Ultimately, I don't think Dolby even cares about being terribly strict when it comes to the positions of the ceiling speakers. To me, the Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers hold all the clues.

That first pair of ceiling speakers - if you were using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers instead - they would always just end up being at the ceiling first reflection points of your Front Left & Right speakers.

For the second pair of ceiling speakers - if you were using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers instead - they would be at the ceiling first reflection points either:

a) directly overhead front-to-back-wise if you're using the Side Surround positions, or

b) a bit behind you if you're using the Surround Back positions.

So if you're trying to figure out where to drill your holes in your ceiling, that'd be my take. I honestly don't think Dolby is planning on being very strict at all. But they did want those Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers to be able to do the job. So with that in mind, it seems fairly clear to me that the intended locations of the ceiling speakers are the ceiling first reflection points :)

#672 · (Edited)
So we've all been freaking out a bit because we're trying to figure out exactly where we're supposed to position our new Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers.

2) As far as where Dolby would recommend we place our new ceiling speakers, I'm taking the new Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers as the biggest hint.

If I were to set up a 5.1.2 system using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers rather than actual separate ceiling speakers, that pretty much tells us where Dolby expects those overhead sounds to be coming from, doesn't it?

With Dolby Atmos-enabled Front Left & Right speakers, the .2 ceiling sounds would seemingly be coming from the first reflection points on the ceiling, no? I mean, in effect, if you want to figure out where the ceiling bounce is happening, you could put a small mirror on the ceiling and move it until you can clearly see the upward-firing driver of the speaker in the mirror's reflection. So, by definition, that's the first reflection point on the ceiling. To me, that tells me rather clearly where Dolby expects that first pair of ceiling speakers to be placed. Forget the diagrams, it's the first reflection points on the ceiling of your Front Left & Right speakers.

3) Now, for the second pair of ceiling speakers, it isn't quite as clear. If you're using 90 degree side placement of your Surround speakers, then a 5.1.4 setup using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers would result in the ceiling first reflection points of the Surround positions being essentially directly overhead - just offset to the left and right, but directly overhead front-to-back-wise.

4) But Onkyo's images basically showed the second pair of ceiling bounces coming from what amounts to the Surround Back positions rather than the Surround positions. Once again, the exact location of those ceiling bounces ends up just being the ceiling first reflection points. But for this second pair of ceiling speakers, if we're using the Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers as a clue, then it matters quite a lot whether it's the Surround speakers or the Surround back speakers that are creating the ceiling bounces.

5) Ultimately, I don't think Dolby even cares about being terribly strict when it comes to the positions of the ceiling speakers. To me, the Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers hold all the clues.

That first pair of ceiling speakers - if you were using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers instead - they would always just end up being at the ceiling first reflection points of your Front Left & Right speakers.

For the second pair of ceiling speakers - if you were using Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers instead - they would be at the ceiling first reflection points either:

a) directly overhead front-to-back-wise if you're using the Side Surround positions, or

b) a bit behind you if you're using the Surround Back positions.

So if you're trying to figure out where to drill your holes in your ceiling, that'd be my take. I honestly don't think Dolby is planning on being very strict at all. But they did want those Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers to be able to do the job. So with that in mind, it seems fairly clear to me that the intended locations of the ceiling speakers are the ceiling first reflection points :)
First off, if you're buying a new Denon receiver, there's no ambiguity at all about where those ceiling speakers should go. JD already posted the applicable pages from the forthcoming manuals that tell you where to put those ceiling speakers.

Secondly, your theory presumes that using up-firing Atmos speakers is the optimal "ceiling" speaker configuration. It isn't. Dolby themselves implies that ceiling speakers are best and that up-firing speakers are offered as an alternative if you can't install in-ceiling speakers. Since the up-firing speakers are a compromise, I wouldn't draw any conclusions about the optimal locations of in-ceiling speakers from information you glean from up-firing speakers' performance.

#675 ·
I'm on the side that it's confusing, because for all the recommendations I receive eventually the speakers go where they are heard best for my room. I can play with their position and if it's technically "off" by traditional standards, so be it. Ceiling speakers seem to be a lot less flexible on the "testing" side of things merely because of the logistical difficulties involved.

#676 · (Edited)
I've been researching both the S900/X2100 and the Onkyo NR636 as potential replacements for a recently-fried receiver (Onkyo HT R667). After diving into the specs as a relatively novice-level user, would anyone mind highlighting any major differences between the two? Both seem to allow me to grow into 4k. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Edit* - Looking like the biggest difference is the Onkyo has a 2.2HDCP Port and the Denon does not. Anything else major?

#681 ·
The X5200W will only use 24bit DACs while the X7200W, being the successor to the 4520CI will use 32bit DACs. Beyond that, there have been no official USA details released on either new model.
Interesting; so apparently audiovideohd.fr got that spec wrong ("Circuit d'amplification D.D.S.C-HD32 avec AL32 Processing Plus"). But now that you've pointed it out, I see that AVCesar.com confirms the lesser DACs in the X5200.

Practically speaking, to what degree will the lesser technology impact on audio fidelity? (I've read Denon's glossary page on AL32, but it only made my head swim.)

I posed this question (32bit vs. 24bit DACs) in the AVR-4520CI thread, but will try asking it here as it pertains to one of the few distinctions we know of so far that separates the upcoming new flagship X7200 from the step-down X5200.

#683 ·
Thanks for the nudge. I did some more digging (the search engine is much more useful on the new site) and found this pertinent post from earlier this year on the 4520CI thread by Keith Barnes, whose opinion I respect:

Quote: Originally Posted by mnc

Amazon selling at a great price right now!

whoa. that's almost cheap enough to consider replacing my x4000 with it [4520CI]. I don't need the extra power, as I use an external amp anyway.... are the 32bit DACs enough incentive for the upgrade?

are they making room for '14 models?

Only on the spec sheet. You won’t hear any difference between these and the DACs in your x4000. Good DACs, such as those found in decent quality AVRs, such as yours, long since surpassed the ability of human beings to differentiate between them. All of their significant parameters are below the threshold of human audibility, so don't be 'phooled' by 'audiophiles' who swear they can hear differences between one DAC and another - in blind tests, they can’t. So don't let that be a reason to spend more money.

TBH, used only as a prepro, I can't see any real difference between the X4000 and the 4520 in terms of performance. One may have more features than the other - IDK - but unless they are features you are craving, again it's not a good reason to spend money.

If you have cash burning a hole in your pocket, I'd look for better ways to spend it, where you may hear a real difference - speakers, subs, room treatments etc.

Anyone else have an opinion to offer?

#713 ·
So am I going to regret getting a 5200 or 7200 if by the end of the year 4k blurays become official? If I have to bypass the avr to go direct to tv for a compliant hdcp 2.2 device, how do I get HD sound through the reciever? A second HDMI from the bluray player (or any other deivce) to the reciever? Most players don't have dual hdmi outs and HD audio can't be carried any other way.

Feel frustrated. So close to having it all, but in the end a kick in the nuts. I'm the type that buys every 5 or 6 years. The wife and I are moving into a new home so it's time for new equipment (she approved!). Wish it was 2015 so they would have this all figured out

#723 ·
I'm in the same boat... Getting a new house and got the approval to buy new equipment. I was all set on getting a new 4K TV and a x5200, and just yesterday I decided to wait it out one more year. I'm still going to install a 7.2.4 speaker setup, but I'm going to settle for a new L!LL,ps,1080P set and x2100/x3100, until I can see what the third gen 4K tv and 2nd gen Atmos receivers have to offer.

Both 4K and Atmos feel to immature for me to plunk down $6k on new equipment. Hopefully next year will bring more HDCP, 4K content and a more advanced Atmos implementation.

#714 ·
The 4K Sony and RED players currently available do include separate audio and video HDMI outputs. It's reasonable to expect dual outputs in the initial 4K Blu-ray disk players, too, if there ever are any. The suppliers of 4K video are well aware that most people don't have receivers capable of handling combined 4K video+audio connections.

Rumors that I've heard suggest that there won't even be a 4K Blu-ray disc format. I.e. 4K material will only be available as downloads or streaming, like the services already provided by Sony, RED, Netflix, YouTube and Vimeo. (Although Samsung is providing a couple of 4K documentaries on a USB flash drive for their 4K TVs.) I hope this is wrong, but other rumors suggest that 4K titles won't be available on disc before 2016. At any rate, all of the current scenarios make whatever 4K video support is in current AVRs almost irrelevant.

Reactions: kbarnes701
#715 ·
I hope this is wrong, but other rumors suggest that 4K titles won't be available on disc before 2016. At any rate, all of the current scenarios make whatever 4K video support is in current AVRs almost irrelevant.
+1. I reckon I will be on my third AVR from today before how it handles 4K content becomes an issue for me.