The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1631 Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post
I wonder now that HDMI 2.0 would be on both TV and AVR if it would make this easier... currently I only got it to work on HDMI 1.4 with 2ch output. I guess I could test after I get either the S900W or X1100. It would be nice if 5.1 would just work via ARC and support True HD or DTS MA.
Your TV's Owner's manual should tell you if it supports other than stereo via ARC as this would have nothing to do with the HDMI spec on the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1631 Old 07-01-2014, 05:37 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Notable differences comparing the 2014 S/X models vs. their 2013 E/X predecessor:

All models have:
- Built in Bluetooth- HDMI 2.0 (on at least HDMI4 / HDMI5)- ECO mode (reduced power when not required)- Video Select (adds Bluetooth)- Quick Select buttons on the remote (brought back)- 2nd subwoofer pre-out

S700W and higher models
- Built in Wifi- Video Select (adds Spotify Connect)- 4/6 ohm setting- Spotify Connect (Spotify Premium subscription required; started from Android/iOS device)- TV Audio On/Off (defeats AVR switching to TV Audio source when using HDMI (ARC))- Sectional mic stand to support Audyssey mic- DSD and FLAC over USB and network

Additional differences:
X5200W vs X4100W: - avail Sep
11CH vs 9CH processing, 140W vs. 125W, 1 extra analog audio and composite video input, Made in Japan, HD Radio, DHCT (Denon High Current Transistors), gold plated connectors, Dolby Atmos (adds 7.1.4)
Thank you, Made in Japan yes
post #723 of 1631 Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalumberjack View Post
So am I going to regret getting a 5200 or 7200 if by the end of the year 4k blurays become official? If I have to bypass the avr to go direct to tv for a compliant hdcp 2.2 device, how do I get HD sound through the reciever? A second HDMI from the bluray player (or any other deivce) to the reciever? Most players don't have dual hdmi outs and HD audio can't be carried any other way.

Feel frustrated. So close to having it all, but in the end a kick in the nuts. I'm the type that buys every 5 or 6 years. The wife and I are moving into a new home so it's time for new equipment (she approved!). Wish it was 2015 so they would have this all figured out
I'm in the same boat... Getting a new house and got the approval to buy new equipment. I was all set on getting a new 4K TV and a x5200, and just yesterday I decided to wait it out one more year. I'm still going to install a 7.2.4 speaker setup, but I'm going to settle for a new L!LL,ps,1080P set and x2100/x3100, until I can see what the third gen 4K tv and 2nd gen Atmos receivers have to offer.

Both 4K and Atmos feel to immature for me to plunk down $6k on new equipment. Hopefully next year will bring more HDCP, 4K content and a more advanced Atmos implementation.
post #724 of 1631 Old 07-02-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Alright. It's July. I'm checking Amazon every morning for the x3100.
post #725 of 1631 Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Been following along for 20+ pages and am trying to figure out whether to buy the X2000 or the X2100 for my 5.1 + 2 speakers in a another room setup. I don't need wifi and neither my year old TV or cable box support HDMI 2.0. Both have the same video upscaling features for 1080p, correct? I'm thinking with the discussion of HDCP 2.2 and 4k televisions that I'd be better off saving the $300 and upgrading in 3-5 years, maybe to a better model?

Is there a good reason for me to consider the x2100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
So, you can buy a future proof AVR that lasts 1 year

I have no idea how many streaming devices will be available, but it looks like only Onkyo has you covered.
Good grief.

I'll bet it gets even worse for 4K displays. It would be crazy to buy one that does not support HDCP 2.2.

- Rich
post #726 of 1631 Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wonderful View Post
Alright. It's July. I'm checking Amazon every morning for the x3100.
We're expecting the X2100W next week with the X3100W likely towards the end of the month.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #727 of 1631 Old 07-02-2014, 06:20 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtK9 View Post
Been following along for 20+ pages and am trying to figure out whether to buy the X2000 or the X2100 for my 5.1 + 2 speakers in a another room setup. I don't need wifi and neither my year old TV or cable box support HDMI 2.0. Both have the same video upscaling features for 1080p, correct? I'm thinking with the discussion of HDCP 2.2 and 4k televisions that I'd be better off saving the $300 and upgrading in 3-5 years, maybe to a better model?

Is there a good reason for me to consider the x2100?
If you don't need the extra features as noted in post #7 of this thread, then no.

post #728 of 1631 Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I'm going to make an assumption that the WIFI / networking connections and software portion of the X3100W and the already released X2100W are essentially the same. Can anyone speak from experience how easy it was to set up on a PC? Did I have to install a proprietary media player? etc. A little feedback on the best new feature this year (that's right, ATMOS can eat it) would be greatly appreciated!~
post #729 of 1631 Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 284
So my girlfriend surprised me with a new receiver for the bedroom. I just installed a UN55HU8550, a Klipsch G-42 LCR bar, 2 Klipsch G-16s, a sub, and I will likely add 2 more speakers so she bought me an s900w. She knew enough to get me the best new Denon Bestbuy had in stock but I am tempted to return it when the x3100w comes out and paying the difference. The s900w is a great little receiver and likely all I would need for my setup but for 400.00 more I can get better Audyssey, 4K 60 upscaling (although the TV does this and possibly does it better), and a little more power although my speakers don't really require it. I am trying to convince myself that I don't need the x3100w for this setup but I am loosing the battle. Someone talk some sense into me or tell me to upgrade lol.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #730 of 1631 Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
So my girlfriend surprised me with a new receiver for the bedroom. I just installed a UN55HU8550, a Klipsch G-42 LCR bar, 2 Klipsch G-16s, a sub, and I will likely add 2 more speakers so she bought me an s900w. She knew enough to get me the best new Denon Bestbuy had in stock but I am tempted to return it when the x3100w comes out and paying the difference. The s900w is a great little receiver and likely all I would need for my setup but for 400.00 more I can get better Audyssey, 4K 60 upscaling (although the TV does this and possibly does it better), and a little more power although my speakers don't really require it. I am trying to convince myself that I don't need the x3100w for this setup but I am loosing the battle. Someone talk some sense into me or tell me to upgrade lol.
First of all, I'd rejoice that you have a GF who not only doesn't object to you setting up an AV system in the bedroom, but who actually buys you the hardware to do it! Kudos! She's a keeper

OK- so what do you expect the extra bucks to bring you? Does the S900W lack any feature you consider essential? Eg Spotify or whatever?

If not, then what will your 400 bucks get you? Better Audyssey - do you really need better REQ in a bedroom? Do you need 4K upscaling? As you say, if you ever put a 4K display in the bedroom, you have good upscaling in the TV itself. And in the source too most likely. More power? What for? Will you use the extra power? Likely not, in a bedroom system. And you have to double the wattage to get a 3dB increase in output. Do you desperately need that extra 3dB and in any event, does the 400 bucks even buy you double the wattage anyway?

If I had 400 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I'd spend it on better speakers - you say you are planning to buy two more, so buy better ones. Speakers make a real audible difference. Or spend it on more Blurays. Or, better yet, spend a little of it on the GF who is great enough to indulge your hobby! And still buy better speakers with what’s left. That would be my advice...
sikclown likes this.
post #731 of 1631 Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
First of all, I'd rejoice that you have a GF who not only doesn't object to you setting up an AV system in the bedroom, but who actually buys you the hardware to do it! Kudos! She's a keeper

OK- so what do you expect the extra bucks to bring you? Does the S900W lack any feature you consider essential? Eg Spotify or whatever?

If not, then what will your 400 bucks get you? Better Audyssey - do you really need better REQ in a bedroom? Do you need 4K upscaling? As you say, if you ever put a 4K display in the bedroom, you have good upscaling in the TV itself. And in the source too most likely. More power? What for? Will you use the extra power? Likely not, in a bedroom system. And you have to double the wattage to get a 3dB increase in output. Do you desperately need that extra 3dB and in any event, does the 400 bucks even buy you double the wattage anyway?

If I had 400 bucks burning a hole in my pocket, I'd spend it on better speakers - you say you are planning to buy two more, so buy better ones. Speakers make a real audible difference. Or spend it on more Blurays. Or, better yet, spend a little of it on the GF who is great enough to indulge your hobby! And still buy better speakers with what’s left. That would be my advice...
I agree with all of that, especially the keeper part. I think what I will do is buy the x5200w for my Living room setup, continue to use the s900w in the bedroom, and when I next upgrade my living room I will move the x5200 to the bedroom. I will take this 400.00 I am saving plus the 600.00 I saved thanks to my girlfriend buying me an excellent gift and use that 1000.00 towards my x5200. The Klipsch I bought for my bedroom were the best I could get in a certain price range that fulfilled all of my needs which were low profile/flat as possible rather than cutting into walls and I needed a Left, Center, and Right that could be mounted underneath my TV that is on a swivel mount and swivel with it. I do have a 4k TV by the way, but the 4k passthrough should be enough.
kbarnes701 likes this.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #732 of 1631 Old 07-03-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by krozman View Post
I'm going to make an assumption that the WIFI / networking connections and software portion of the X3100W and the already released X2100W are essentially the same. Can anyone speak from experience how easy it was to set up on a PC? Did I have to install a proprietary media player? etc. A little feedback on the best new feature this year (that's right, ATMOS can eat it) would be greatly appreciated!~
I installed an X2100w today and it's exactly like every other wifi electronic device. Scan for ssid's, enter the password and you're connected. However, I had no IP transport. It connected to the router but wouldn't connect to the Internet. An hour later I changed the wap2 security settings and presto. It didn't like the mixed mode security layer in the router.

I'm also having issues connecting to the D&M Android app. The customers iPad found the receiver but no Android devices would find it. Had the same frustration with an x1100 yesterday.

Solution was to uninstall the app, remove the folder and all hidden files, reboot the phone and reinstall from the play store. The old apk which shows current volume in the now playing screen wouldn't work.
post #733 of 1631 Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
I installed an X2100w today and it's exactly like every other wifi electronic device. Scan for ssid's, enter the password and you're connected. However, I had no IP transport. It connected to the router but wouldn't connect to the Internet. An hour later I changed the wap2 security settings and presto. It didn't like the mixed mode security layer in the router.

I'm also having issues connecting to the D&M Android app. The customers iPad found the receiver but no Android devices would find it. Had the same frustration with an x1100 yesterday.

Solution was to uninstall the app, remove the folder and all hidden files, reboot the phone and reinstall from the play store. The old apk which shows current volume in the now playing screen wouldn't work.
My experience with WIFI is really limited to using my mobile phone to access the internet through my router. I was just curious how easy it is for the receiver to see my router and the other computers on my network that will be playing the music. I want to be able to load a music player, point it to my receiver and it just works.

I'm also slightly concerned about the location of the antennas. My PC and router are upstairs and my mobile phone still connects to the internet while I sit on the couch downstairs.... BUT the receiver is packed in an entertainment center under the TV and in a place where you normally would never put an antenna. Considering the only reason I'm purchasing the X3100W over last year's model is the WiFi, I'm interested in some honest review about how effective it is. I don't want an amazing receiver that "happens" to have some cheap piece of wifi that only works if you have clear line of sight. So ya, I'm hoping for the best but it would be nice to know whether the antennas can be replaced by bigger antennas, or whether there's any thought put into that entire process of reception.
post #734 of 1631 Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
My experience with WIFI is really limited to using my mobile phone to access the internet through my router. I was just curious how easy it is for the receiver to see my router and the other computers on my network that will be playing the music. I want to be able to load a music player, point it to my receiver and it just works.

I'm also slightly concerned about the location of the antennas. My PC and router are upstairs and my mobile phone still connects to the internet while I sit on the couch downstairs.... BUT the receiver is packed in an entertainment center under the TV and in a place where you normally would never put an antenna. Considering the only reason I'm purchasing the X3100W over last year's model is the WiFi, I'm interested in some honest review about how effective it is. I don't want an amazing receiver that "happens" to have some cheap piece of wifi that only works if you have clear line of sight. So ya, I'm hoping for the best but it would be nice to know whether the antennas can be replaced by bigger antennas, or whether there's any thought put into that entire process of reception.
Can any 2014 S- and/or X-series owners confirm that the built-in Wi-Fi is indeed 802.11b/g? >>> http://www.wi-fi.org/certified-produ...ber&order=desc
post #735 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

I typically always move the router to the the media room. Here in Florida we don't have basements and in this development there are not alot of 2 story homes.

Wifi is really not a reason to buy a reciever. Performance is related to the quality of the router, an antenna really won't help a bad signal or a crappy router.

Try it and if it doesn't work you can buy some $40 AC powerline adapters, get a decent router or relocate the one you have.

As far as playing music stored on your PC, it's simple. The AVR is a media playback device. It will find all the shared devices on the network. Select the PC with your music and search by album, artist or genre and play away. You can do it with a remote using the display device or from a smartphone or tablet. You'll love it!
post #736 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello folks newbie here. After years of putting up with my old equipment I decided to really make a change and got rid of all the old and bought a 8000 series Samsung and a S700W receiver and some EMP speakers. This is my first dive into really modern AV equipment and its definitely a learning experience. Most of the issues I have had so far I have figured out on my own but I may have some pretty basic questions that are coming from someone wo a lot of experience. So I have a setup question that has me puzzled. I have my cable box run through the TV and the TV connected to the receiver by way of the ARC out. This lets me control pretty much everything with the Samsung remote. The issue is when I go to another function on the receiver and come back to TV Audio I lose the cable signal. Also when using the cable with that setup I cannot get the receiver setup or info onscreen menu. If I connect the cable box in the receiver I cannot control it with the TV remote.
post #737 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiego View Post
Can any 2014 S- and/or X-series owners confirm that the built-in Wi-Fi is indeed 802.11b/g?
Indeed it is b/g on my X2100. Presumably the intended use is streaming audio, not video, so the bandwidth of an 802.11g connection should suffice. Updating the firmware initially took an absurdly long time but that's far from a deal-breaker. Next time there's an update I might be tempted to run ethernet and see if it makes a significant difference.
James Parsons likes this.
post #738 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 10:46 AM

Liked: 11
For the intended use its fine, but a lot of people dont want to keep backwards compatabile on the router for b/g when they want all n or above. Helps make sure everything flows good, let alone the increase in range n gives.
post #739 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Is anyone streaming FLAC flawlessly and without issues?
post #740 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 12:50 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Indeed it is b/g on my X2100. Presumably the intended use is streaming audio, not video, so the bandwidth of an 802.11g connection should suffice. Updating the firmware initially took an absurdly long time but that's far from a deal-breaker. Next time there's an update I might be tempted to run ethernet and see if it makes a significant difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackztor View Post
For the intended use its fine, but a lot of people dont want to keep backwards compatabile on the router for b/g when they want all n or above. Helps make sure everything flows good, let alone the increase in range n gives.
Thanks for confirming. It's odd to see 802.11b/g as the only Wi-Fi option on a 2014 product line.
post #741 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My Sub input on my Pioneer (vsx-1018ah) went out. I ended up picking my AVR-S700W from local bestbuy. I was going to get it from amazon but its the same price as bestbuy and I get it today. First Denon receiver and will set it up later on.
post #742 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 186
That's why dual band simultaneous routers are good. You have one band on N to keep the fast things. Another for b/g for all the old stuff so it doesn't slow down your faster N band.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #743 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

How long does it take for setup assistant to load? On my AVR-S700W its been 10 mins and its still trying to load. When i exit out of setup assistant I cant go back into via setup menu. Its gray out. Also when i start Audyssey setup it keeps on loading and nothing happens......Other stuff are taking a very long time to load to like Internet Radio, Bluetooth and Online Music. I am wired into my router. I did a factory reset and still same issue...SMH
post #744 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Shouldn't be acting that way. Try a few more resets.

post #745 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

I reset it about 3 times now and still takes a long time. I guess Im heading back to bestbuy to do a exchange.......
post #746 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 04:44 PM
585-645-1006

That would seem to be the next step, yes.

post #747 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 05:53 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Updating via a wired connection will generally be much more reliable. Lengthy ethernet cables are very inexpensive.

post #748 of 1631 Old 07-04-2014, 05:55 PM
585-645-1006

Firmware Changelog Update

The firmware update changelog information has been added in post #6 of this thread.

post #749 of 1631 Old 07-05-2014, 12:26 PM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 67
What are the differences between the X5200W and Marantz SR7009?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #750 of 1631 Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking to upgrade my 6-7 year old onkyo and the denon avr x2100 seems like it fits my price point with more features than I need. Unfortunately my local bestbuy doesn't have it to demo, nor the alternative I was considering -the Pioneer VSX-80 which is apparently still a few weeks away from being available there. Hopefully some reviews start trickling in; I'm very curious to see what people think of these 2014 models
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
denon s500bt , X2100W , x3100w
Gear in this thread - x3100w by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page