The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1171 of 2199 Old 08-10-2014, 09:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently own H.K. 254 wanting to set up for , for great sound, 3d pass through,4k upscale,reliable reciever, which model of Denon produces sound like H.K. ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2199 Old 08-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Phone App - Windows Phone app

Has anyone used the Windows Phone app on the Denon stuff. They do NOT have an official version from Denon but there are several homebrew apps in the WinStore.

Just wondered if they work at all.
post #1173 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post
Under web update: AirPlay firmware version : s9766.1102.0 then it says chose file. I checked Denons site and nothing is listed, I am wondering if this was included in the update I did last Friday or if this is something new. Thanks ron
Is this information listed on the X3100W display? Are you saying there is an option on the X3100W to select one of two listed updates?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #1174 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[QUOTE=jdsmoothie;26465466]Is this information listed on the X3100W display? Are you saying there is an option on the X3100W to select one of two listed updates?[/QUOTE

I found the info by clicking on a link in the browser settings window. http://192.168.2.191/bl_index.asp There is no file to select.

Last edited by ronton3; 08-11-2014 at 08:40 AM.
post #1175 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 09:56 AM
585-645-1006

^^
So then on a PC or laptop browser. What is the AVR saying though? Firmware up to date? If yes, then there is nothing new.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; Direct line 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-11-2014 at 10:14 AM.
post #1176 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 AM
585-645-1006

X3100W Firmware update changelog

The change log information for the firmware update to the X3100W has been added to post 6 of this thread.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #1177 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Thanks it says firmware up to date. I will stop worrying about it. I just have this thing about keeping stuff up to date.
post #1178 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Sorry, didn't see your original post. I don't have an x3100w but I have the new (and lower end) s900w and it has no problems at all passing through any 4k sources (Non-HDCP 2.2 of course). Granted I don't have any of the 4k players you have but I have my PC running at 4k with my Nvidia card and a Panny 4k upscaling Bluray; both work perfectly (as does your PC). I think, and don't quote me here, the Sony 4k player will only ever play when directly connected to a Sony 4k projector/tv (which you already knew, just saying it again). I haven't tried 4096x2160 though; I will try and mess with that later. Stupid question but have you swapped out your Redray and Nuvola HDMI Cables? Likely not the problem but easier to do than box the receiver back up and exchange it. Maybe you got a bad egg? You could always exchange it for another one but I know that is a pain.
Still fighting the fight here... Some more progress... Yeah, swapped cables, etc.. None of them are the issue.

Never expected the Sony X10 to work, just thought I'd try it to see if there was any luck. By rights, it should allow for pass-thru, even with the mis-matched DHCP support. But it appears the Sony is using proprietary signaling in addition to DHCP 2.2. Trying to pull an EDID from the unit is futile even when I have the proper hardware to do it.

Now have the REDRAY player working. As many of us with that player have discovered, it doesn't always play nice with various 4K TV's anyway, and we have to run it through other hardware to re-structure the HDMI handshake, or in this instance it has to do with the blanking interval. If I run it through the Gefen Matrix or a Gefen HDBASE-T extender into the X3100W it works flawlessly. Connected directly, it does not. So we can add the X3100 to a long list of devices that the REDRAY isn't directly compatible with and like all those other devices, both RED and the other parties will point fingers at one another. Fact of the matter is, this shows us that the 4K signal support on the X3100W is incomplete. Just as it is incomplete for the output on the REDRAY or the inputs on the SEIKI, Skyworth, Westinghouse and Toshiba 4K TV's... I guess I knew this was going to be the case for this player as I had it in the back of my mind from the start. Anyway, that one seems to be solved.

Nuvola NP-1. This thing is a piece of crap. The concept is great, but the build quality and implementation are both severely lacking. Turns out there is a newer release firmware that fixed the sync issues. It's up and running. And I see no reason to hold on to it really. I can play 4K content of my own by feeding it into the Sony X10. Or encoding to REDRAY, which is where I'll be showing most of my self-produced stuff.

My projector setup is dual purpose, both work and entertainment. It's at my home, but the space is separated out as my basement has a secondary entrance and I often entertain clients and have them attend editing and color grading sessions. Which also leads to the next device now connected and working properly through the X3100W. The BlackMagic Decklink 4K Extreme I/O card. Not only is it working just great, but it also drives the projector at its full 4096x2160 and no hiccups through the X3100W.

So that leaves me with the HDMI output from the nVidia card on the HP workstation. I'm actually not going to be using it, but I was using it as a source to test with. I'm not sure why 4096x2160 causes problems from this system. Direct to the projector it works, but it gives me nothing but a black screen going through the X3100W. I suppose there's just some mis-match between the nVidia drivers and/ or the hardware's signal output and the Denon, but I think I'm good for now.

All things considered, I think this is going to work out alright for now. In another 1 to 3 years, AV receiver options should be a lot better and I'll be able to upgrade this to something better. It's a little weak to drive my speakers, but passable for now. Ultimately I'll probably get a separate amp anyway and just use the receiver for pre-pro. I've already blown my budget on this setup.
sikclown likes this.
post #1179 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Question

I got my x3100w setup last night and went through the normal testing steps. Everything worked perfectly on it with the exception of the HDMI from Dish Network. The HDMI output from Dish Network does not appear to support the receiver. When you go to an HD channel, one of two things occurs:
1) The video will play fine but no audio will be sent to the receiver.
2) The screen displays a Dish Network error complaining that the connection does not support HDCP.

I tried everything on the troubleshooting guide that I could with the materials that I had (i.e. not the Dr. HDMI or HDMI switch steps). I finally resorted to calling Dish and they told me that it was more than likely a Dish software (firmware) issue and that the software would need to be update. The same problem exists when passing the HDMI Dish Network source to Zone 2. I eventually resorted back to running HDMI directly to the TV and sending a separate optical signal to the receiver which worked. However, this is not a long term solution as I want the HDMI source to be sent to Zone 2 so that I could watch Dish Network programming on the second TV in the second Zone.

If you guys can think of anything else that may help or another way to configure the setup to work and capitalize on Zone 2, please let me know.

Thanks!
post #1180 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey1521 View Post
I got my x3100w setup last night and went through the normal testing steps. Everything worked perfectly on it with the exception of the HDMI from Dish Network. The HDMI output from Dish Network does not appear to support the receiver. When you go to an HD channel, one of two things occurs:
2) The screen displays a Dish Network error complaining that the connection does not support HDCP.

I tried everything on the troubleshooting guide that I could with the materials that I had (i.e. not the Dr. HDMI or HDMI switch steps). I finally resorted to calling Dish and they told me that it was more than likely a Dish software (firmware) issue and that the software would need to be update. The same problem exists when passing the HDMI Dish Network source to Zone 2. I eventually resorted back to running HDMI directly to the TV and sending a separate optical signal to the receiver which worked. However, this is not a long term solution as I want the HDMI source to be sent to Zone 2 so that I could watch Dish Network programming on the second TV in the second Zone.

If you guys can think of anything else that may help or another way to configure the setup to work and capitalize on Zone 2, please let me know.

Thanks!
Do you have Video output to Zone 2 turned on? I believe that mirrors the Monitor 1 output so perhaps Direct TV doesn't support that. Try turning off Video output to Zone 2 and see if that fixes the HDCP error and it will at least tell you if you will be able to do what you want to do with Zone 2 or not.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #1181 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 12:18 PM

Nvidia Card

"So that leaves me with the HDMI output from the nVidia card on the HP workstation. I'm actually not going to be using it, but I was using it as a source to test with. I'm not sure why 4096x2160 causes problems from this system. Direct to the projector it works, but it gives me nothing but a black screen going through the X3100W. I suppose there's just some mis-match between the nVidia drivers and/ or the hardware's signal output and the Denon, but I think I'm good for now."

NVIDIA video card owners: Try the following: Bring up the NVIDIA control panel. For display options, select the AVR (not the HTPC display). AVR->Adjust desktop color settings->Apply the following enhancements->Content type reported to the display->Full-screen video (vice the default of AUTO).

If the HTPC is having issues reconnecting after coming out of "sleep" mode, then refer to this ATI solution or this NVIDIA solution for more info to resolve the issue.
Another option is to set the “Video Mode" setting to either "MOVIE" or "GAME" vice "AUTO."

This probably will not be helpful, but I just went through posts 1-7, and saw this. ron
post #1182 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 12:56 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Thanks!
So is DISH going to push the firmware update to your DISH box?

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #1183 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Uh Oh! This isn't very good news at all! My 3100 hasn't arrived yet, but I am a Dish subscriber. And I need a permanent installation as I am putting it into a home entertainment enter that is VERY heavy and sits against the wall. I won't have access to switch things around after firmware/software updates are eventually made.

To which Dish receiver are you referring? The Hopper? A Joey? Something else?

Chet
post #1184 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
So is DISH going to push the firmware update to your DISH box?
Any update they do would come in the way of an update for ALL of their customers (huge subscriber base). This would require DISH acquiring at Denon 3100, testing, finding error, fixing the problem, testing, retesting, scheduling a push to likely coincide with other updates and they may or may not ever get around to fixing it depending on priority. Best case, it's fixed in a few months, but even that seems unlikely.

Chet
post #1185 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Regarding #1 , if you're using a Hopper or Joey, try going to the following:

Menu > Settings > Audio > Audio Output. Try switching between Dolby Digital / PCM and PCM only. See if that makes a difference.

Regarding #2 , have you tried various HDMI cables? I don't want to sound like a tech support person from India, but sometime HDMI cables do actually make a difference. It's best to rule out an incompatible HDMI cable by trying a different one if at all possible prior to moving onto other possible solutions. Especially if those solutions involve hardware manufactures and software engineers getting involved.

Chet
post #1186 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Dish

I have a 722K receiver and it is working fine with the 3100, I have seen the HDCP non compliance screen before the 3100, and just click by it(I think it is probably a clitch). I did notice a real difference in quality when I switched to High Speed cables as I was waiting, and preparing for the 3100, and had the 722K hooked directly to the tv, that difference is still there through the 3100. I Have now ordered some of the monoprice redmeres just for good measure. You might want to post on http://www.satelliteguys.us, there is a lot of Dish Knowledge, plus Dish techs monitor the site. You can't depend on what the CSR's say. I am assuming you pulled the plug on the Dish receiver, that fixes many problems. ron
post #1187 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM

[QUOTE=Donkey1521;26474153]I got my x3100w setup last night and went through the normal testing steps. Everything worked perfectly on it with the exception of the HDMI from Dish Network. The HDMI output from Dish Network does not appear to support the receiver. When you go to an HD channel, one of two things occurs:

You may be having a problem with the HDMI Standby Pass Through mode, I just noticed that when I turned the 3100 off, but left the Dish receiver on, in a few seconds I have a picture but no sound, this is explained in the info provided in the 1-7 posts at the beginning of the thread, under item 4, H.
post #1188 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 08:04 PM

Unhappy

I have the Dish VIP612 receiver. When I called Dish last night, they said that any firware updates would probably take a month or so to be developed and rolled out. However, they did say that the firmware that they rollout to all their boxes is identical. Therefore, if someone else (ronton3) is able to get it to work, I would think we could rule out the Dish firmware being the issue.

Sikclown - I turned off Zone 2 but still had the issue. When I attempted to mirror Zone 1 to Zone 2, the video played fine but still no audio.

Ckenisell - I tried going to Menu > Settings > Audio > Audio Output and switched between the two options, but no luck...I have also tried multiple HDMI cables with no luck. I actually have an identical HDMI cable from my PS3 to the receiver and it works great. I have also tried using a different HDMI input, but still got no audio.

Ronton3 - I tried disabling the HDMI Pass Through mode, but still no luck.

I will keep trying to see if there is anything else I can figure it out. If I do, I will post back and let you know. If you can think of anything else that might be of value, please let me know.

Thanks.
post #1189 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Are you using a high speed 1.4 cable, did you update the firmware on the 3100, did you unplug the 622.
post #1190 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 PM

Yes. I have tried using 2 Dynex HDMI cables (from Best Buy) and a separate Monoprice HDMI cable. I am certain it is not the cables as the same cables work fine when they are connected to my Apple TV and my PS3. It has to either be a setting I am somehow missing or a faulty Dish Network box.

I am going to go through the settings on the AVR once more. If that doesn't work, I may resort to bringing another Dish box into the living room to see if I can isolate it to that. If it ends up being a faulty Dish box, I am going to be pretty upset. I spoke to them for a few hours last night and didn't get anywhere.
post #1191 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Cool

Well I figured it out. After trying everything I could think of, I finally grabbed the Dish box from the media room and brought it into the living room. As soon as I turned it on..."TADA!" HDMI audio and video.

I called Dish back and explained to them the situation and they wanted me to run through another series of tests but I refused. I was tired of them asking me remedial questions like "Is your TV turned on?" and "Is your TV plugged into the wall?"

They are sending me a free replacement unit. They were going to charge me for shipping and handling. However, after I pointed out that I found the culprit myself (a defective unit) and that they misinformed me about a firmware issue...they waived the fee.

In 2-3 days, I should be able to experience the greatness that is the Denon AVR X3100W! Thanks for the help guys.
post #1192 of 2199 Old 08-11-2014, 10:23 PM

Congratulations

Did you ask to upgrade to a 722k a newer design, probably free.
post #1193 of 2199 Old 08-12-2014, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately, I did not. I did inquire about switching to the Hopper and Joey's throughout the house but they wanted another $25 per month on my bill + tax.

I didn't think the additional perks were worth the additional cost.
post #1194 of 2199 Old 08-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 209
You had me scared there. I have a 3100 on order and am also a dish subscriber.

Hopefully just an issue with that old dish box.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #1195 of 2199 Old 08-13-2014, 05:09 AM

Dish

One pleasant surprise is HDMI Standby Pass Through mode, when the 3100 is off, and with Dish connected to it, and the 3100 connected to the tv, Dish passes to the TV, and works with those speakers just as though it were directly connected.
Another reassuring thing for me is unlike the 805 it replaces, there is no audio lag with the 3100. A PIA I am very happy to be rid of. Be reassured, the 3100 works well with Dish, also the Dish remote controls several functions, just use the scan method it only took about 15 presses. ron
sikclown likes this.
post #1196 of 2199 Old 08-14-2014, 12:13 AM
585-645-1006

Posts 1-7 provide helpful information

As a reminder ... on page 1 of this thread ....

Post 1-2: Features of each model
Post 3 - General info + Troubleshooting tips
Post 4 - Issues discussed in thread
Post 5 - Microprocessor/Network reset procedure
Post 6 - Firmware change log information
Post 7 - 2014 vs. 2013 model comparison

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #1197 of 2199 Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 AM
585-645-1006

Have any of you Bluetooth users been able to confirm the following note I have listed in post #4 ?

2. Bluetooth connection distance - The Bluetooth connection distance isn't likely to be more than 10-20' but may be limited if the Wifi Network - Connection setting is in use so setting it to "Wired (Ethernet)" may improve the Bluetooth connection distance.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #1198 of 2199 Old 08-14-2014, 01:07 AM
585-645-1006

If you don't live in either the USA or Canada, please either indicate your country location in your profile or your post as some Denon models from other regions in the world differ in configuration from their USA/Canada counterparts otherwise responses made will be regarding the USA/Canada models.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
post #1199 of 2199 Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Man, the X2100 seems to be all kinds of buggy on at least the software level. Both Bluetooth (using Ethernet) and AirPlay likes to die and stay dead until a soft reset. Weird no picture/HDMI issues, and then otherwise really small quirky behavior. Hopefully there'll be another firmware update soon.

I haven't had enough time yet to really troubleshoot beyond the soft reset, which does the trick. I do plan on calling Denon eventually if necessary to share this information.
post #1200 of 2199 Old 08-14-2014, 07:35 AM
585-645-1006

^^
As other X2100W owners have not posted of these same issues, you may want to consider simply exchanging the unit.

Daily 8am – 8pm EST
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
denon s500bt , X1100W , X2100W , x3100w
Gear in this thread - x3100w by PriceGrabber.com