AVS Forum banner

The 'Official' 2014 Denon "S Series" / "X Series" AVR Model Owner's Thread & FAQ

583K views 5K replies 750 participants last post by  d.hanson.it 
#1 · (Edited)
The announcements of the 2014 Denon lineup have begun so it's time to start the new master thread for these models. Lot's more info coming soon!

In order to relieve this thread of the overwhelming wave of Atmos related discussion, we have created a separate thread for the X4100, X5200, and X7200 Atmos enabled models with XT32. Please refer any discussion of these models specifically, or Dolby Atmos on Denons in general, to this other thread. Click here to go to the other thread. This thread will focus on the S-Series and the non-Atmos X-Series models (X1100, X2100, X3100).

Denon S-Series Official Press Release

Likely the most eye-catching news (besides the expected upgrade to HDMI 2.0 across the board) is the first-time-ever inclusion of both Bluetooth and WiFi wireless options. The entry level S500BT lacks network features and only offers Bluetooth (thus the "BT" designation suffix) whereas the higher level models add networking with WiFi option (thus the "W" designation).

Quote:Mahwah, NJ. (May 12, 2014) — Home theater receivers are moving ahead as consumers seek to make home the perfect entertainment place. Today Denon® Electronics, a leading manufacturer of premium home and personal audio products, announces the launch of three new S-Series audio/video (A/V) receivers that are designed and engineered with an eye to the future and delver excellence now with the AVR-S500BT, AVR-S700W and the AVR-S900W. The new S-Series models carry on the Denon tradition of packing on features aimed at discerning and forward-looking consumers who demand nothing less than the finest state-of-the-art home theater performance. They come ready with Bluetooth® wireless streaming and the latest HDMI 2.0 connectivity. The S-Series models are expected to be available in June at select Denon dealers and online.

“The S-Series models deliver an incredible home theater experience now and in the future with Bluetooth and wireless connectivity for streaming audio, a feature that undeniably is a must for today’s consumers. And each is loaded with the latest HDMI connectivity that includes pass-through for 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz, 4:4:4 Pure Color and 21:9 video content, making them compatible with 4K ultra high definition sources and displays. And in response to growing consumer demand, we’ve priced the S500BT at an all-time low price point for built-in Bluetooth streaming in an AVR at $249,” said Paul Belanger, product manager for D+M.

What's new this year?

ALL models in the lineup now feature:

* Upgrade to HDMI 2.0 with 3D, 4:4:4 and 4K/60fps pass through support
* Bluetooth built in for wireless streaming
* Two subwoofer pre-outs (note that for models without SubEQ HT, or every model covered in this thread, this is just an internal y-splitter, not independent calibration)
* Power saving "ECO" mode
* Return of Quick Select buttons on the remote (as opposed to just on the front panel)
* Return of the "Channel Level" on screen menu for on the fly adjustments to all channels -- note that for the first time this setting is per input not per surround mode
* Expanded "Option" menu for on-the-fly audio/video adjustments (the "Setup" menus will now be reserved for more global adjustments)

The following changes apply to all models above the entry-level S500BT:

* 7 amp channels and Zone 2 support
* 4ohm UL certification (achieved through a 4ohm / 6ohm / 8ohm impedance setting, piggybacks on the current limiting ECO mode)
* Networking and WiFi built in, with support for DSD and hi-rez (192kHZ) FLAC and WAV files via network stream or USB
* Built-in Spotify interface replaced by "Spotify Connect" for all networked models (i.e. you can only control it from a separate device, not from the receiver directly)
* For the first time a "TV Audio On/Off" setting to defeat the annoying auto switching caused by an HDMI-CEC ARC connection
* Included sectional mic stand for the Audyssey mic in case you don't have a tripod
* Heavily revamped smartphone/tablet remote apps coming in the fall with expanded functionality

See less See more
#1,068 ·
So I've settled on an X2xxx model (for analog video upconversion). The one feature I was really excited about in the new 2014 models was the built in bluetooth but it looks likes people are having a lot of problems with it.

I won't be going 4K anytime in the next 5-7 years so is there any point in buying the X2100 over the X2000? The X2000 is on sale for $399 right now and for $300 I can buy an external bluetooth receiever...

Thanks!

#1,071 ·
Posts 1-7 provide helpful information

As a reminder ... on page 1 of this thread ....

Post 1-2: Features of each model
Post 3 - General info + Troubleshooting tips
Post 4 - Issues discussed in thread
Post 5 - Microprocessor/Network reset procedure
Post 6 - Firmware change log information
Post 7 - 2014 vs. 2013 model comparison

#1,072 ·
Got a question----I been watching HBO/CIN ext.... and they show its in Dolby Digital 5.1 but my tv (sam F8500)--RCVR x2100W says its coming thru in
Sound: Stereo
Signal: PCM

ALso the RCVR display states

Input signal: FL / FR

Active speakers: FL / FR/ SW

Should I be seeing something else and better sound quality--Maybe I got a setting wrong or something, not sure! thanks!

#1,073 ·
^^
Just because the show indicates it's in DD 5.1 does not mean that is what the TV station is actually broadcasting. Make sure your cable/sat box has Dolby Digital turned on. Press the Info button on the AVR remote. If only 2CH are being received then the issue is with your cable/sat box. If 5CH are being received then press/hold the MOVIE button on the remote and select Dolby Digital.

#1,080 ·
So I ended up deciding to go with the x2100 rather than the x3100.

I figured none of the features of the x3100 are worth paying an extra $300 for. I would much rather pay $700 now rather than $1000, and two or three years down the line, upgrade to a new model with XT32 and Atmos and the standard of HDMI/HDCP that 4K content will require, hopefully for less than $1000 by then.

#1,083 ·
X3100

In honor of ordering the X3100 last night(thanks for the good service JD), I have just ordered a Polk Audio Blackstone TL3 center channel. I have needed a replacement to better fit the HT set up, it will allow for a few improvements. And as usual I will make an even more concerted effort to clean up the wire mess that has developed over the last few years. I am hoping for delivery on Friday. I may even violate my rule of always going wired when possible, to try out the new wifi and bluetooth capabilities. Maybe. ron

#1,086 ·
Ron, 00775 works on my 3312; may, or may not, be what you need, so ymmv.

#1,093 ·
Does anyone know when the 3100 will be available at Best Buy? Denon said July. I spoke with Denon and they said that they already shipped to Best Buy. But the Best Buy website shows that it is still available for pre-order. I pre-ordered earlier in July.

Also, does anyone have their 3100 yet?

#1,095 ·
Denon AVR S900--observations and questions

Hello: Complete newb here. I've been a Home Theater owner since around 1985. However, I've been an "intermittent" owner/user in that I've not always had one set up for that entire time period because of the requirements of family, work and life in general. Regardless, now I'm back in the saddle having replaced an older Yamaha unit with the Denon AVR S900w. I have an older Samsung LCD 51" that is about 7 years old along with a Velodyne VA-1250x that I bought in 2000---and it still works quite well! Currently, I have Boston Acoustics satellites and center channel. I have some "garbage" variety rear speakers and I'll get to that in a moment but I'm primarily interested in comments regarding the Denon, which was purchased without the amount of research that I'd typically employ; largely because I happened to have time to be at Best Buy and was able to convince them to knock $100.00 off of the $599.00 purchase price because otherwise i was going to get Costco's one AV receiver ($399.00 Sony) that has usual excellent Costco "protection" and "returnability."

SOOOO----A few observations of the Denon early on which has been set up with only the fronts and center along with the Sub.

1. ISSUE/PROBLEM: The Rocketfish HDMI cables did not want to connect to the older Samsung unit. I tried to force the HDMI as well as I could and still did not have any luck. Fortunately---the Sammy has a "side" mounted HDMI port that DID accept the HDMI cable. I believe that I read about someone else having an issue with the same HDMI cables and a Sammy. I'm not aware of any reduced functionality using the side HDMI port, however I was curious if anyone else had experienced this.

2. After going through set up and using the microphone "Audessy?!" system to calibrate the speakers, etc. I noticed that I must have ONLY set the system up so that the settings apply when "Movie" is selected on the remote. For example, when I tried to play music through the system via Iphone the subwoofer was not working! However, when I chose "movie" on the remote, not only did the Sub kick on but the center channel was also employed. So I'm not sure if I need to set up every other "category" but I imagine that it will take some time to become familiar with what I can only describe as a fairly complicated and nuanced piece of equipment (mostly in a good way).

3. With that said---the music sounded really good WITH the center channel working with the satellites. And I was very impressed with the overall sound of the Denon as we listed to music last night as well as rented "Noah" (Don't bother watching this) as I had my little one and was trying to find something to watch that would "test" the listening experience but not upset my little one.

4. With that said: I'm now "beginning" to try to figure out how I can wirelessly airplay songs from my PC and/or stream other data from my PC (Amazon Prime for example). So far I've noticed that the receiver recognizes my PC/network but have not gone any further than that. Was just curious if anyone knew of a youtube video and/or other shortcuts other than wading through the manual. I confess that I'm far from an IT-type and the only time that I was ever "good" at home theater was when there as only a left and right channel and component cables and coaxial cable, etc. Pretty sad.

5. QUESTION: I still can return my Denon and select another AV receiver but think that this one will suffice for my needs. I understand that it has HDMI 2.0, 4k upscaling and is generally a pretty good piece of equipment for an intermediate system. Since I purchased it for $500.00, I would have to be able to better than what I've already purchased for $500 (or a little bit more) so I'm just curious if there is some "no-brainer" brand/unit that I should have definitely purchased instead of the Denon.

6. BIGGEST QUESTION: I need to set up rear side speakers and I imagine a rear center speaker. Is anyone aware of a "kit" of just rear speakers that is less-intrusive but still works decently? I would prefer wireless but from what I understand, wireless is somewhat a myth in that there will still need to be a power source unless I'm going with batteries. Also, in my experience with regular rear speakers, you don't need expensive ones as they don't bear much of the load. So any input would be appreciated.

Otherwise, I apologize if this question is in the "wrong" place----I didn't want to post it in several places-----

So---in conclusion-----I'm new to AVS forum (as a member) and want to know:

1. Is the Denon AVR S900 a decent solution----

2. Does anyone have any tips for it----

3. What's the best way to simplify rear surround implementation without flush-mounting speakers into the walls and burying the wires behind drywall (i.e. I can't do that and any wires will have to be hidden)

Thanks and have a good day.

#1,096 ·
^^
1. Use HDMI cables from forum sponsor Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cables.
2. The single run of Audyssey can apply to most every surround mode (except DIRECT/PURE DIRECT) if enabled. Press/hold MOVIE/MUSIC/GAME buttons to select other surround modes.
3. N/A
4. Owner manual
5. This is a low end model; however, if it meets your feature/input/output requirements it should serve you well.
6. Aperion wireless speakers get good reviews.

Review posts #3-6 on page 1 for additional helpful information.

#1,101 ·
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm a bit disappointed that this is considered "low-end" but I've been out of the game for quite some time and I imagine that $600 MSR for an AV unit is not that much money anymore given inflation, etc.

And that's why I'm trying to make sure that this is a decent unit before I decide to keep it as opposed to returning it for something that is, perhaps, middle tier.

Right in the middle of a television show this evening the unit just "froze." Like a PC...none of the controls, remote, etc. would work. I hate to cut the power from the wall to reset it. Very disconcerting. The unit is prompting me to download a firmware upgrade---and said prompt even promises better "stability, etc." I would have done it but I'm midway between recording something on the DVR so I have to wait at least until I finish that recording.

However, it seems nuts to me that an "out of the box" unit barely 1 day old could "crash" like a PC with a virus. I mean---I've had receivers literally catch fire when a kid when pushed too hard but I didn't have my previous Yamaha ever freeze like that! So I'm going to run the firmware update but I can't help but be concerned when something like this happens. And I don't ever buy extended warranties (from places like Best Buy) because typically they are very overpriced. So while I'm going to run this firmware update--I'm curious if any recommendations can be made for perhaps a more expensive unit so that I don't have to worry about issues like these. Then again---this might just be the cost of so much "tech" being present in these devices. I'm not sure--that's why I'm asking.

Thanks so much for your time.

Kind Regards,

wcr

#1,103 ·
A small amount of defective units will always slip through regardless of level. Modern AVRs have microprocessors, and like PCs, sometimes need to be reset. A soft reset will resolve some issues by simply setting the unit to Standby (when able) and unplugging the power cord for at least 10 minutes. There should be no loss in settings when doing this.