AVS Forum banner

Pioneer VSX-823 VS Yamaha RXV475 ----- Which is the best and why?

522 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  psychobrew 
#1 ·

Guys, I am starting my entry in the World of Home Theater and I will be buying one of these two babies.

Which should I buy and why?

#2 ·
Based on my experience with the two brands and how it appears that Pioneer is looking to exit the AV business, my vote goes to the Yamaha. If you stated a budget, there may be some good deals around on the net that would allow you to move up to a higher end receiver than you previously thought you could afford.

#3 ·

Thanks psychobrew

When you tell me that you had experience on this two brands you are telling me that you had this receivers before? 

Because I read a lot online that Pioneer offers a lot of more power. But the thing is that I am using this with a PC, a PS4 and an Xbox. So I really would like the receiver with more compatibility and I read that Pioneer doest not work properly with 1080p at 60hz.

#4 ·
I have not tried those specific receivers before, but I do have experience with each brand. Right now, I prefer Yamaha because I really like the sound quality and they are known for their reliability. IMHO, all receivers in the same weight class are going to have similar power when using the same amp technology. If you are talking about power with all channels driven, you aren't going to find a real world situation when all channels are being driven to capacity very often, but yes, Yamaha does seem to limit output with all channels driven (I've read that's to help with reliability).

As for video, I do not use or care about video processing in my receivers so I can not really comment. I just want to be able to pass the unaltered signal to my TV, which has decent video processing. I do know that Yamaha is sometimes criticized for their video processing capabilities though, but I haven't even tried video processing on my current receiver so I have no experience with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.