"Official" 2013 Pioneer SC-1523-K AVR D3 amp thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Given the circumstances, when do you purchase a AVR ?
a) Only when the present AVR malfunctions several times. 4 15.38%
b) When a pretty good bargain comes available 10 38.46%
c) Only purchase the latest and greatest 3 11.54%
d) tke my chances with Craigslist for apparent values 0 0%
e) Jump on an opportunity when the particular technology might not be available in near-future 1 3.85%
f) When the Wife Acceptance Factor and / or budget allows 2 7.69%
g) When I need additional connections (more than old AVR has) 6 23.08%
h) other 0 0%
i) None of the above 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Step one in the Quick Start guide says it will indeed work with just two stereo speakers and that it must be the left front and right front speakers.

Page 99 in the manual says to use Speaker Settings to specify your speaker configuration (size, number of speakers and crossover frequency.) I would select a preset (5.2 so you less speakers to cycle through) and then manually set the speaker size to No for everything but the left front and right front speakers.
Thanks Box, will give that a try
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Dang. Went to pull trigger and just now price back up to 999. Amazon said that's the way it goes.

At 999 the context of the thing changes. No HDMI 2.0, no HDCP 2.2, at 999 I'm not buying.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #33 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
Thanks Box, will give that a try
No problem. I was curious myself because I'm in the same boat as you. I want to build a couple of speakers for my office over the next few weeks and use the SC-1523-K to power them until I finish my family/media room. Hope it sounds nice!
post #34 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
Dang. Went to pull trigger and just now price back up to 999. Amazon said that's the way it goes.

At 999 the context of the thing changes. No HDMI 2.0, no HDCP 2.2, at 999 I'm not buying.
That sucks. The price was at $799 for so long and with new models coming out I thought the price might drop again and I was making a mistake by buying now.

If you want to keep an eye on it, I suggest using www.camelcamelcamel.com. I use it all the time when I'm waiting for amazon prices to drop. Enter a desired price and an email address and they'll send you a notification if it reaches that price.
post #35 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I know, 799 for weeks. Obviously caught me by surprise.

Its just God's way of telling me to buy an OPPO 103 instead.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #36 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I just bought mine today @ 6pm EST.
It was 999.
A simple call to Amazon and I told them "It was 799 earlier this morning, just had to move some funds around, came back and its 999....."

They put me on hold and told me I would have to buy it now. Sure.
Purchased it and rep on the phone adjusted my price to 799 AND hooked me up with 1 day free shipping (Im a prime member).

MAKE THE CALL!!!
Boxozaxu likes this.

Xbox Live: D0N V C0RLE0NE
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
post #37 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm chatting with them right now and they said only 100 off.

Edit: I called them back and I have good news for you Mr. Middleton, I just got approval to match the previous price IF you can buy it today.....

I have to wonder if the price isn't going back down to 799 BUT I'm glad I called them back.

I am Prime mbr as well and will have the unit in a day.

On-line support couldn't adjust this.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 06-29-2014 at 06:38 PM.
post #38 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
When I used to book air flights/hotel reservations weekly I quickly learned to "accidentally" hang up on any call center travel agents that had any bit of trouble doing their job. What the first agent couldn't accomplish, the second agent could do easily.
post #39 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Edit: I called them back and I have good news for you Mr. Middleton, I just got approval to match the previous price IF you can buy it today.....

I have to wonder if the price isn't going back down to 799 BUT I'm glad I called them back.

I am Prime mbr as well and will have the unit in a day.

On-line support couldn't adjust this.
Well done sir!

Xbox Live: D0N V C0RLE0NE
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
post #40 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

The only thing I'm fighting is feeling controlled.

"We still have some of these 1523's left at 799. How do we sell the rest?"

"Raise the price."

"Raise the price sir?"

"That's right, raise the price and it'll freak everyone out, they'll call and demand 799 which is what we want to sell them for anyway......."

Don't really care, just glad to have a 1523 at 800 bucks.

Have a Denon 3808ci in great shape with box, etc., need to sell now.

post #41 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
The only thing I'm fighting is feeling controlled.

"We still have some of these 1523's left at 799. How do we sell the rest?"

"Raise the price."

"Raise the price sir?"

"That's right, raise the price and it'll freak everyone out, they'll call and demand 799 which is what we want to sell them for anyway......."

Don't really care, just glad to have a 1523 at 800 bucks.

Have a Denon 3808ci in great shape with box, etc., need to sell now.
That's awesome!

Now you just have to find another way to rationalize buying the OPPO BDP-103
post #42 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Won't need dual hdmi out any more.

That is one reason why I updated from my Denon 3808.

It was either go ahead and move on from HDMI 1.3 or continue to focus on dual HDMI players.

post #43 of 59 Old 06-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I bought one last week, and so far so good. I did the advanced MCACC setup, bi-amping the fronts with 5.1 surround. I plan to re-do it, though, after reading more about MCACC calibration in this thread: "OFFICIAL" Pioneer MCACC thread

One question I have: does anyone have any *true* power/output numbers for this receiver? As with most AV manufacturers, Pioneer uses the useless "@ 1kHz" rating, not full range. Can't find any other rated specs anywhere.

I had seriously considered the NAD T758 AV receiver, and would have bought that one if not for the drastic price reduction ($799 + free shipping) on Amazon last week. The NAD, which I was able to demo in-store, is fantastic. In addition to movies, I do plan to listen to a lot of music (2-channel mostly, but a few SACD and Blu-Ray Audio titles). It doesn't have as many features, but it has a great sounding amp (class AB instead of class D, so it runs hotter...I like the idea of a cooler running class D in the Pio), and they have honest power specs (110 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven). Plus, it has Audyssey room calibration, which by most accounts is superior to MCACC.

But, at the end of the day, I liked the added flexibility and future-proofing offered by the Pioneer, particularly for the discounted price. I like that it has pre-amp outs for every channel, so I can upgrade the amp(s) down the road and essentially use the Pioneer as an AV pre-amp. I don't plan to do that anytime soon, but it's great to know I have the option.
post #44 of 59 Old 06-30-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I know, 799 for weeks. Obviously caught me by surprise.

Its just God's way of telling me to buy an OPPO 103 instead.

Nope, it's his way of saying, "Pull the trigger faster". But yeah that does suck. Sorry it happened. Keep watching tho, it may take another dive. Interestingly enough, I just checked Amazon and they have the SC-75 for virtually the same price as the 1523, except that the former was $0.95 more. Now, I thought the Elite models were only being offered by certified dealers or something to that affect. I wonder if they dropped the length of the warranty now that it's same price as 1523, which btw, they are saying is the new version of the SC-75. And, the SC-1323 is now selling for what the 1523 was at $799. This gets stranger and stranger.

Btw, is anyone with a 1523 using a Crown Drivecore amp with the fronts via the 1523 pre-outs? If so, are you using a line level matching box or just winging it?

Pioneer SC-1523-K and VSX-1018AH-K; Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Pioneer S-HF11C Center, Cerwin Vega VE-5M surrounds and backs; Polk PSW-505 with Mediabridge SW cable; Onkyo SKW-204 with Mediabridge SW cable; Oppo BDP-103; Akai GX-255 Open Reel, DBX 228 Dynamic Range Expander & Type II Tape NR; 55" Sharp Aquos LCD; 47" Sony Bravia Plasma

Last edited by rkrebs11; 06-30-2014 at 09:04 AM.
post #45 of 59 Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I have DBX 224 for my vinyl and cassette tapes. Yes, still do both. DBX encoded vinyl sounds quite good.

I know it seems nuts but I canceled the order for the 1523. Did so for a good reason.

Found out I've lost just enough weight this year to qualify for an employee bonus of 300 dollars. My employer is serious about employee health given it helps keep the cost of health care down.

I can now add $300 to the mix. Which gets me to a very different price point and does so in regards to the new HDMI 2.0 receivers. $300 more makes the set of receivers I can afford very different.

I was able to cancel the 1523 this morning as it was still in process and nothing had been formally charged.

I know, nuts.

post #46 of 59 Old 06-30-2014, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
I have DBX 224 for my vinyl and cassette tapes. Yes, still do both. DBX encoded vinyl sounds quite good.

I know it seems nuts but I canceled the order for the 1523. Did so for a good reason.

Found out I've lost just enough weight this year to qualify for an employee bonus of 300 dollars. My employer is serious about employee health given it helps keep the cost of health care down.

I can now add $300 to the mix. Which gets me to a very different price point and does so in regards to the new HDMI 2.0 receivers. $300 more makes the set of receivers I can afford very different.

I was able to cancel the 1523 this morning as it was still in process and nothing had been formally charged.

I know, nuts.
I was ready to pull the trigger on the 1523 until Amazon raised the price. At first I was disappointed. However, I started thinking I could get a Yamaha RX-V777BT (supposed to ship very soon) for $799 which has HDMI 2.0, full preouts, BT, etc. Still mulling it over though because I MIGHT get an ATMOS AVR instead.

Now that you canceled the 1523 order, what are you thinking of buying?

I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me.
post #47 of 59 Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll have my employee bonus end of July. Waiting using my Denon 3808ci is not exactly a downer.

Will wait until the end of July to see what the products will be in the 800-1100 range.

Probably should know by then too if the Onkyo's like the 737 and 838 are holding up.

post #48 of 59 Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else noticed very low volume on the CD input when using a turntable? I have my TT going into a Cambridge Audio azure 640P. The cartridge is MM, and I have it going into the MM input on the azure, including the ground. The output from the azure is going to the CD (assignable) input on the 1523. The azure is switched to MM on the selector. The output, though, is very low. Almost as if I were using an MC cartridge but had it set up as MM (which is not the case). Any ideas?
post #49 of 59 Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Has anyone else noticed very low volume on the CD input when using a turntable? I have my TT going into a Cambridge Audio azure 640P. The cartridge is MM, and I have it going into the MM input on the azure, including the ground. The output from the azure is going to the CD (assignable) input on the 1523. The azure is switched to MM on the selector. The output, though, is very low. Almost as if I were using an MC cartridge but had it set up as MM (which is not the case). Any ideas?
Nevermind. Turns out it was a bad cable. I tried different RCA cables, and the output is now fine.
post #50 of 59 Old 07-16-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the optical out for the main zone?

I know this is less than ideal for this receiver but I recently moved into a new house and the owners left behind a Vizio 5.1 system. As it turns out, I really can't run rear speakers for the main TV without ripping open the drywall or having the wires in plain sight. I will eventually be ripping open the drywall to add some recessed lighting to the room and at that point I will run the rear wires. However, that's a future project.

The Vizio system has a wireless sub and rear speakers so if I can find a way to use the optical out on the SC-1523, it would be a perfect solution until I open the ceiling up. I've plugged the optical out into the Vizio's optical in but I can't seem to get the speakers to play any sound. I currently have outdoor speakers wired into the left and right channel on the receiver. Will the receiver not output to the optical out if there are speakers wired to it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #51 of 59 Old 08-10-2014, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Until recent I have been able to play my FLAC music files via DLNA with no problems. Now the buffer rate will drop to 20 and therefore cannot play the files without issue. Nothing has changed in the network and I have checked everything I can think of, any ideas?

After looking further into this I took the Wii out of the network and no issues?
K5/SS likes this.

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Darbee DVP 5000, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12

Last edited by Hubertoliver; 08-10-2014 at 08:29 AM.
post #52 of 59 Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Need help guys!

I finally got my receiver out of the box a few days ago. I have tried hooking everything up with the power off and then turning it on. I get sound and no picture...

I am run in done HDMi cable from the out 1 to my 70" LED. I then have BD going to my BD player and cable/sat going to my cable box.

I get sound on both BD and Cable but no picture. The BD picture will flash the picture every 5 seconds or so but that's it!

I plugged my old VSX-50 back in and everything works. I am a little scared because I bought his receiver off amazon and it has been sitting in it's box in the guest bedroom ever since.

Any ideas out there to help me try to resolve this frustrating issue?

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
post #53 of 59 Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post
Need help guys!

I finally got my receiver out of the box a few days ago. I have tried hooking everything up with the power off and then turning it on. I get sound and no picture...

I am run in done HDMi cable from the out 1 to my 70" LED. I then have BD going to my BD player and cable/sat going to my cable box.

I get sound on both BD and Cable but no picture. The BD picture will flash the picture every 5 seconds or so but that's it!

I plugged my old VSX-50 back in and everything works. I am a little scared because I bought his receiver off amazon and it has been sitting in it's box in the guest bedroom ever since.

Any ideas out there to help me try to resolve this frustrating issue?

Make sure your HDMI output you are using is turned on and try changing video resolution on the 1523.
K5/SS likes this.

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Darbee DVP 5000, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #54 of 59 Old 08-26-2014, 08:53 PM

Thank you for the quick reply!

I can't check the video settings because I don't have any video. I switched HDMI inputs and now I am getting a little more video (not much) from the Blu ray player but when I can see the video, there are 1000's of tiny red specks.

I have been a die-hard Pioneer receiver fan for many years. I hope this unit doesn't sway my loyalty.

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
post #55 of 59 Old 08-26-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the quick reply!

I can't check the video settings because I don't have any video. I switched HDMI inputs and now I am getting a little more video (not much) from the Blu ray player but when I can see the video, there are 1000's of tiny red specks.

I have been a die-hard Pioneer receiver fan for many years. I hope this unit doesn't sway my loyalty.

You can still check your video settings by the display on the front panel of the 1523. Make sure to set it at 1080i and check your picture.
K5/SS likes this.

post #56 of 59 Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 PM

Wow! That worked.

Well, I at least have picture now. I tried all the picture settings but my BD and Cable via HDMI only like 420p and 4k, no other picture settings worked consistently. The picture just kept flashing on 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24.

The only problem is that the 4k picture looks like its dull, no more bright colors.

I really appreciate you helping me Hubert!

post #57 of 59 Old 08-27-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Wow! That worked.

Well, I at least have picture now. I tried all the picture settings but my BD and Cable via HDMI only like 420p and 4k, no other picture settings worked consistently. The picture just kept flashing on 1080i, 1080p and 1080/24.

The only problem is that the 4k picture looks like its dull, no more bright colors.

I really appreciate you helping me Hubert!

I would still look into maybe new HDMI cables and continue to look into this issue because you should be getting a picture at all settings. I'm sure it's something simple. Also...try the video PURE setting on the AVR.
K5/SS likes this.

Last edited by Hubertoliver; 08-27-2014 at 02:05 AM.
post #58 of 59 Old 08-27-2014, 07:42 AM

The HDMI cables I am using are some pretty nice $40 cables that are "high speed" and 3D capable. I just bought them. I will try switching them out and see what happens.

Thanks again for all your help.

post #59 of 59 Old 08-28-2014, 07:35 PM

It was a bad $40 HDMI cable! Thanks again for all your help man!
Hubertoliver and Boxozaxu like this.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page