"Official" 2013 Pioneer SC-1523-K AVR D3 amp thread - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Given the circumstances, when do you purchase a AVR ?
a) Only when the present AVR malfunctions several times. 4 15.38%
b) When a pretty good bargain comes available 10 38.46%
c) Only purchase the latest and greatest 3 11.54%
d) tke my chances with Craigslist for apparent values 0 0%
e) Jump on an opportunity when the particular technology might not be available in near-future 1 3.85%
f) When the Wife Acceptance Factor and / or budget allows 2 7.69%
g) When I need additional connections (more than old AVR has) 6 23.08%
h) other 0 0%
i) None of the above 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 05-25-2014, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At this late date May 25, 2014 am establishing this:

2013 Pioneer SC-1523-K AVR D3 amp thread[/B]

Due to renewed interest with presently deep discounts of over half off M.S.R.P. mentioned in great-deals subgroup herein on AVSforum "dot" com.

Meanwhile turmoil and closed door internal and. External discussions about near-term disposition of Pioneer's home audio division by July 2014.

The AVS thread. For the similar Pioneer Elite SC-75 is a bit quiet recently and it's discussion is interwoven with two other 2013 Elite models.

Wondering if rumor of not any D3 amp in 2014 non-Elite AVR models is valid.

Welcome informed speculation of disposition of any August 2014 builds of Pioneer home AVR's to establish context for:

I.M.H.O. 2013 SC-1523-K could be a timeless classic at present street price on internet of approximately 47 % of MSRP for certain scenarios such as driving 4 OHM speakers or electrostatic speakers for music.

Although horizon for 2015 foresees additional industry object oriented Dolby Atmos etc. Won't that be for movies ?

Wonder if any successor or suitor of pioneer home division will continue D3 amps.

Other smaller industry sources or distributors of d-class amps are much bigger bucks.

Have inserted a small poll herein to establish some context for discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-25-2014, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hyperlink to Pioneer Corp. web-page marketing blurb about:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1523-K

post #3 of 59 Old 05-25-2014, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

"reserved" for anticipated press-releases or verified information from Pioneer Corp employees who lurk herein. (NOT associated with original poster "lionanimal" who is just a consumer.)

LIsted below is a hyperlink to a June 24, 2014 news article about the future of the Audio-Visual division of Pioneer Electronics as majority ownerships changes hands. The Pioneer brand appears it will survive (as of now).

http://online.wsj.com/articles/pione...und-1403605311

The following is a second hyperlink to a news story with additional perspective.

http://www.twice.com/news/industry/p...business/45763

Last edited by Lionanimal; 06-24-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: updated hyperlink to current June 24, 2014 news article
post #4 of 59 Old 05-25-2014, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Well my perspective as original poster is that currently May 25, 2014 I awaiting FedEx delivery of a first Pioneer SC-1523-K AVR. It will be an upgrade from a fine Costco special 2012 Pioneer SC-1522-K that was an upgrade from a pretty good 2009 Marantz SR7002. I"ve looked on the internet google search for unbiased semi-professional reviews of 2013 Pioneer SC-1523-K AVR but could not locate any.

I'm taking the extra investment because I like the upgrade to near-top tier 32 bit SABRE DAC's and a few other feature tweaks.
"reserved" for a few observations by original poster of actual perceived performance. Note: I do not have fancy lab equipment, so recognize the following is subject impressions.

May 30 p.m. du d some critical listening of a studio modern CD of ghost big band Glenn Miller Orchestra. Heard them live 45 days ago. Most of the instrumentation sounded similar to a live feed on 2013 SC-1523-K. The vocal presentation was just a bit forceful. Prior to this I ran full correction but without manual tweak. Judgement is this item and design is a keeper.

May 30, 2014: surprised at perception of considerable improvement in sonic quality of 2013 sc-1523-k compared with earlier 2012. Sc-1522-k. The difference is not subtle. Definition, clarity, full-bodied soundstage.
post #5 of 59 Old 05-25-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok... I'll bite. I just bought a SC-1523 on Amazon. I was in the process of installing wireless headphones on my old Pioneer, unsuccessfully, when the display took a dump. Spent waaay more than I probably should have because the 1523 was for sa;e at such a large discount. Am hooking it up now, hopefully will pass audio to my wireless headphones.
post #6 of 59 Old 05-25-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Suggest all devices be "powered off" when making connections. Best regards.
post #7 of 59 Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I took the plunge and ordered one a few days ago
post #8 of 59 Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionanimal View Post

Suggest all devices be "powered off" when making connections. Best regards.

I hear you. Probably looking at returning my just purchased 1523, worked fine yesterday and was pleased with my first attempts at fine tuning. This morning hdmi quit, when processing on I get blank screen. With processing off it alternates between full screen static and solid blank screen with an occasional blip of picture. If I shut off unit the passthru works. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #9 of 59 Old 05-26-2014, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

ThAnks for. Posting. Am trying to visualize your situation. Have you checked for each of the following common frustrAtions with hdmi ( re gardless of brAnd of avr ):

1. Hdmi handshAke error. 2. Manual operator error in sequence of power-on to several devices. 3. Connector not snug. 4. Cable too long over 15 feet. 5. Resolution on manual vs. Auto. 6. Crosstalk...fatal error. 7. Internal hdmi board error...fatal error.

Best regards. I don't think it is number six or seven above. Let us know more tomorrow.
post #10 of 59 Old 05-27-2014, 06:25 PM

Pulled power cord when i got home from work.... that did the trick. Wireless headphones looking like I need a digital to analog converter that can handle ac3. Have it hooked up to pre outs right now, not working volume wise. Thanks for advice, ordered new hdmi cabels as some of mine are older.
post #11 of 59 Old 05-30-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to know there is some improvement in your situation. I have now mostly set up mine. The included disc avwire navi is a pain. Can't exploit all the connnections. Although the avr makes some available upon reassignment.

Now learning how to operate the avr. Casual listening to date is favorable and impressive. Still learning how to manipulate hi-bit 32 audio scaler in auto / manual / and off.

Now reading elsewhere herein on AVSforum of deals on elite sc-75 etc (still for more $).

Will look to acquire wireless headphones when 5.6 Mhz model becomes available.
post #12 of 59 Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Does anyone using this receiver have dual subs? If so, can you speak to whether the 1523-k addresses them as a single sub or as separate units? I have two different subwoofers and was hoping the 1523-k's MCACC would balance them.

Thanks,

Mike
post #13 of 59 Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 327
^^
calibrated as one sub. the 2 outs are Y'd together internally so are in fact 1 sub out into 2 jacks. the only Pioneer AVR that had 2 true independent sub outputs was the former $7K flagship SC-09TX. all the rest are connected together.

but if you think about it, your ears don't hear the bass from each sub independently. your ears hear a combined bass response. so in one sense, it is "balancing" them since it measures the delay-distance from both as one combined response hitting the mic.

even the latest Audyssey only partially treats each sub independently. the time delay "distance is separate and the initial EQ is separate but at the end, the final EQ filters are on the combined response.

Steve
post #14 of 59 Old 06-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Good info ss9001 - my concern is that I have two different subs from two different manufacturers. As long as the output is balanced and/or EQd at the listening position I guess it's less important.
post #15 of 59 Old 06-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Having only owned the 1523 for about 5 days I am very pleased with it's performance. Previously owning the Elite VSX-53 the 1523 has it beat in every area, especially network sound quality....it plays my FLAC files with outstanding clarity. Looking forward to checking back in on this thread often!

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
post #16 of 59 Old 06-10-2014, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am highly interested in upgrading my 15 yr old Denon AVR and now that I have stumbled across this thread, this unit has my attention. I have been a big fan of Denon products for a while and am itching to see how Audessy performs, but as my search would have it, I'm now looking at this Pioneer as an option.

As I did with the Denon, I want to get another AVR that can last me for a decade in terms of not only quality operation, but future proofing as well. It would seem that this would be a good fit in that regard and the Amazon price is amazing. I am hesitant to get it from them given what I have read about them not honoring warranty requests for "Elite" receivers which this is not. Should I be concerned about that?

One of the odd features I've been looking for is an "Optical Out." I have a pair of nice DD gaming headphones that I use quite a bit late at night that are connected to the digital coax out from my TV via a digital coax to optical converter. That little converter introduces a lip sync audio lag that is annoying. I have been surprised how more available the "optical out" feature was on AVR's just a few years ago and now it seems to be only on the high end machines if at all. I'm sure it sounds goofy to focus on this one feature, but if I'm going to upgrade, I'd like to fix that.

I've also been surprised that the switched and unswitched AC outlets are also a fading feature. I've got a backlight that I'll have to figure out how to turn on with my system if I upgrade. Again, not the most important thing, but it's obviously been a while since I shopped for an AVR.

Thanks for starting this thread. I will continue to watch it for a while. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Peace,

DM
post #17 of 59 Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 AM

passthrough on 1523

question: I want to get a 1523 and use the passive passthrough of the HDMI input to go to multiple outputs. Will the 1523 do this? Specifically, I'm looking to hook my cable box/dvr to the hdmi1 input, and with the receiver off (in standby mode) be able to watch cable tv/dvr on the main tv (in the room with the receiver using hdmi output 1) as well as in my 2 bedrooms (using hdmi outputs 2/3). I understand we'd all be watching the same thing which is fine. I just don't want to have to turn on the receiver every time I turn on the tv in one of the bedrooms.

Thanks!

Geez, leave me alone already, I have a PSThree!
Geez, leave me alone already, I have a Tosh AyToo!
Yes, I'm format neutral...Yes I post on "both sides"...
post #18 of 59 Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Have not posted in a while. Have been enjoying the lack of fatigue while listening to loud music on sc-1523-k.

Non-powered stAndby mode of assigned hdmi pass-thru appears to be main zone only.

It is possible to only power zone two if that is all prior poster uses in his or her scenario.

Yes. There is an optical out.

Regarding longevity...neo:x seems great with 9.2 speakers. Future object oriented audio of Atmos is on 2015 horizon . But. Isn't. That for movies and encoded. Discs not yet availble

Last edited by Lionanimal; 06-14-2014 at 12:21 AM. Reason: additional information
post #19 of 59 Old 06-14-2014, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding longevity of duty life of sc-1533-k avr...

My only concern was lack, of the 2015 atmos. My understanding is atmos is 13.2 or 22 speakers. For now neo:x is fine with 9.2 the 7.1 dts-hd master audio codec is fine. See photo of space limitations of 7 of 11 speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140613_235521_resized.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	115081  
post #20 of 59 Old 06-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionanimal View Post
Yes. There is an optical out.
Thanks. I do have a question since I am wanting to use this port for digital headphones. Is there any control over how the port operates such as pushing out a particular signal all the time like DD 5.1?

Also, does the audio that is output from that port just match what the main system is on or can it be different?

I appreciate the help.

Peace,

DM
post #21 of 59 Old 06-14-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just got the 1523 yesterday. Love it, but the AVNavigator application is bugged. Not that I needed it but it would not progress past the "Detecting Network" screen. Oh, it did find the receiver. That wasn't the problem. After it reported, "receiver has been detected on the network. AVNavigator can still be used there was no forward arrow on the web page. Only the "Go back" arrow. I do like the 3D graphs and the downloading of the MCACC to the computer for analysis and safe keeping, but other than that, it is an epic fail. The receiver otoh, is absolute heaven and worth every penny. I also love the iControlAV2013 app for giving me complete control from my tablet. And that takes care of the remote problems everyone seemed to have.

Pioneer SC-1523-K and VSX-1018AH-K; Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Pioneer S-HF11C Center, Cerwin Vega VE-5M surrounds and backs; Polk PSW-505 with Mediabridge SW cable; Onkyo SKW-204 with Mediabridge SW cable; Oppo BDP-103; Akai GX-255 Open Reel, DBX 228 Dynamic Range Expander & Type II Tape NR; 55" Sharp Aquos LCD; 47" Sony Bravia Plasma

Last edited by rkrebs11; 06-14-2014 at 07:01 PM.
post #22 of 59 Old 06-15-2014, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am probably going to snag one tomorrow. I am pretty much out of the newer receiver game but I have some Amazon credit and came across this receiver. I was dead set on the Emotiva Fusion 8100 but after reading many handshake issues, I have decided to pass. The Denon X4000 was also on the radar but it is still listed at MSRP.

I have owned numerous "high end" receivers over the last 4 years but nothing had me more impressed than my old SC-25. I am hoping the D3 amps will leave me just as impressed as the I.C.E. Amps. I will be driving a Klipsch reference 5.0 system so my speakers are pretty efficient. I hope the SC-1523-k lives up to my expectations.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #23 of 59 Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If I could I would today. Money is issue. But if the money thing works out soon I'll be getting a 1523 and selling my Denon 3808ci.

Amazing value for 799, amazing......

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #24 of 59 Old 06-15-2014, 11:20 AM

Ok, I just ran the Advanced MCACC with both of my SWs and now the question is, "Do I use the speaker setting that the routine gave me? Polk 75T Fronts are bi-amped (yeah, I know. Don't want to hear admonishment about what "TRUE" bi-amping is) and set as Large (which is fine with me), but my small CV VM-5E bookshelfs being used as surrounds and backs were somehow also listed as Large by the routine. The only speaker listed as small was the in-efficient Pioneer Center channel speaker, which makes sense. But why the tiny satellites? I mean they do sound good, but they are by no means a full range speaker. And, strangely enough, the calculated X-over was 100 and not 80. I mean if you're gonna go Large on the fronts, wouldn't you go with a 80 Hz limit? Isn't that why you're listing the fronts as Large, so you can use the low end of them to support your SWs? Weird. So, I'm thinking I'll go into the manual speaker settings and list the fronts as Large, everything else small and set the X-over at 80 Hz. Sound ok?

Pioneer SC-1523-K and VSX-1018AH-K; Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, Pioneer S-HF11C Center, Cerwin Vega VE-5M surrounds and backs; Polk PSW-505 with Mediabridge SW cable; Onkyo SKW-204 with Mediabridge SW cable; Oppo BDP-103; Akai GX-255 Open Reel, DBX 228 Dynamic Range Expander & Type II Tape NR; 55" Sharp Aquos LCD; 47" Sony Bravia Plasma
post #25 of 59 Old 06-15-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Regarding DavoM:

At this time cannot answer about details of optical out to the level of detail you requested. Don't know.

Separately p.c. avi navigator malfunctions
post #26 of 59 Old 06-15-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Regarding DavoM:

At this time cannot answer about details of optical out to the level of detail you requested. Don't know.

Separately p.c. avi navigator malfunctions
I have an android tablet. Will AVNavigator work on the app for that?

post #27 of 59 Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Question

Quote:

Meanwhile turmoil and closed door internal and. External discussions about near-term disposition of Pioneer's home audio division by July 2014.
Where did you hear this? I did some quick searches and found no news articles. Regardless, I pulled the trigger and my SC-1523-K arrives Wednesday!

Are you still happy with yours? All this talk of disposition makes me question my purchase.
post #28 of 59 Old 06-24-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Pioneeer brand to survive in some form as of June 24, 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxozaxu View Post
Where did you hear this? I did some quick searches and found no news articles. Regardless, I pulled the trigger and my SC-1523-K arrives Wednesday!

Are you still happy with yours? All this talk of disposition makes me question my purchase.
Yes, I'm very happy with my 2013 Pioneer SC-1523-K AVR.

Here is a current hyperlink to the latest news about the Pioneer brand surviving in some form as of June 24, 2014 after a change in majority ownership of the Audio-Visual Division of Pioneer Electronics.

Last edited by Lionanimal; 06-24-2014 at 10:44 AM. Reason: a second hyperlink to an additional news-story dated June 24, 2014
post #29 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As it is going to be a while before my home theatre is ready to use the 1523, I have decided to run it to two floor standing speakers and an iPhone for some music. I haven't gone rough the process of setting it up as it only seems to give a minimum of 5.2 as an option. I have a couple of questions.....

Can I set it to deliver stereo two channel only? If so how?

I've never used airplay before. I've looked online but it only gives options if you have the unit connected to a network or have Apple TV? I presumed, it seems incorrectly, that I just streamed from the phone to the receiver. How does it actually work with the SC-1523?
post #30 of 59 Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukichon View Post
As it is going to be a while before my home theatre is ready to use the 1523, I have decided to run it to two floor standing speakers and an iPhone for some music. I haven't gone rough the process of setting it up as it only seems to give a minimum of 5.2 as an option. I have a couple of questions.....

Can I set it to deliver stereo two channel only? If so how?
Step one in the Quick Start guide says it will indeed work with just two stereo speakers and that it must be the left front and right front speakers.

Page 99 in the manual says to use Speaker Settings to specify your speaker configuration (size, number of speakers and crossover frequency.) I would select a preset (5.2 so you less speakers to cycle through) and then manually set the speaker size to No for everything but the left front and right front speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page